Mothering Forum banner

Dingos after the March Hare!

20K views 900 replies 40 participants last post by  Mommabelle 
#1 ·
Okay ladies, I'll start the new thread, runner extraordinaire that I am!

Welcome runners, woggers, joggers, walkers and waddlers! Forward motion is our goal here but everyone is welcome. The thread often gets more speed than we do but don't hesitate to jump in and grab some inspiration (or pass some around)!

See less See more
#7 ·
How exciting - posting on page one of a new thread.

Doing some deep breathing here tonight. Right now we have a lovely combination of freezing rain and hail pelting our area with calls for snow and lots of wind for tomorrow. What do you want to bet that we get storm-stayed again? I am supposed to have a really important meeting tomorrow, but I am trying to prepare for it not happening right now. I just hope dh and ds will be able to get home from the outdoor ed centre safely. With any luck things will be fine - but when I was at the school for the assembly today I heard teachers talking about sending home extra homework tonight, just in case.

So long as I can get to the post office tomorrow so I can send out my last package to my SS - this has gone by way too fast!! I figure it takes a week for anything I send to arrive so tmorrow is my deadline.

No time to run today. I had to drive dh to a meeting (just one vehicle in this household) then to another town for a dental appointment, then pick up and drop off dh again, to school for an assembly where dd2 received a recognition award for displaying the virues of trustworthiness and caring, then dropped the van off for dh, made my way home, cleaned out the woodstove and got it going again, then the kids came home and we made supper, etc. Sorry for the boring recount of my day

Geo - how are things at this point?

#10 ·
You guys are awesome. Thank you all for the support. Right now there's no change, and they're waiting for an MRI and a discussion with a doctor. For now, I'm staying home with the kids. My MIL isn't holding up that great. DH says that she's ok if well distracted, otherwise not. DH said "every" detail of dealing with life is simply being taken care of by church friends.

I got to a better place about the dept drama today. Some things are moderately better and there are now formal channels opened to deal with the rest. I was also thankful to have a reason to be late to my morning meeting and leave my afternoon meeting early.

No running since Sunday. I've eaten half a box of Thin Mints though...

#11 ·
Oh. My. Guinea pig. I am SUCH A TARD.

I took a SS package to the Post Office yesterday (finally...) and I had it all wrapped and addressed by hand. Well, the line was taking forever so I went back to the lobby to use the APC machine. So easy! So quick! Zip, zap, package down the chute.

Well, just now as I was nursing Nevie, I realized I placed the big receipt sticker with the rate and zip codes on it completely over the addresses. Funny thing, but the APC machine doesn't just automatically sense what name and address you'd like that package to go to... so now I better get my buns to the post office tomorrow and see if they have it sitting there. It's not like they can send it back to me, because I covered up MY address, too. Curse the Mommy Brain! Nah -- just the Megan in a Hurry brain.

arrrrrrgh. I am so sorry, SS... I will make up for this!

#12 ·
Thanks for the new thread. I can't believe we hit 66 pages in a month that only has 28 days!

Geo, glad to hear the update. So is there a chance he may pull through? Glad the department drama is easing up slightly.

I didn't run yesterday like I was supposed to, but I'm getting ready to go to choir practice and then the gym for 4 miles. I am fighting such a strong pull towards couch potato-dom. Don't know why.

#13 ·
Subbing. Some balance restored here today, I called work and told my boss I knew there were some big threads dangling but that I needed the day off anyway. Terrific human being that he is, he said OK. DH and DD and I had a short snuggle together on the couch and then DD and I went to the zoo. DH got himself unstuck on his writing while we were gone. Still no running, but as DH turns this draft in tomorrow I think it will happen tomorrow by hook or by crook.

#14 ·
hey guys!

I'm totally not caught up on the thread, but am finally back home. My dad had surgery today and the first report was that everything was okay and he would likely be going home tomorrow, but I spoke to my step-mom a little bit before we got home and she wanted to give me an update but not while i was driving. what does that mean? I'm totally getting anxiety rash wondering what is going on.

desperately trying to catch up with the hug-a-dub-dub orders that came while i was gone and realizing that I need to do a major supply reorder.

oh, and i don't think I posted yesterday - but snowboarding yesterday morning was AMAZING! Monica, Utah has beautiful snow and beautiful wide open bowls perfect for racing down at top speeds in 18" of fresh, untouched snow under bluebird skies. it was very special and a complete surprise as I was not expecting a second comp lift ticket.

Geo - hope everything gets a bit better.

#15 ·
Wendy and Mandy, hang in there...

I gave in. Chai bread is in the oven...with cocoa powder and bittersweet choc chips added.
And that is SO a cake.

You name it, we had it here today. Rain, snow, sleet...was that hail, too? There are layers of snow and ice and more snow, and I'm sure there will be more ice. This is supposed to go on through the night, and honestly I cannot imagine how schools could, in good conscience, send buses out to collect kids at 7AM tomorrow. Which means I don't get the review I'm supposed to have tomorrow, since I'll be home with the kids. I don't mind the idea of a snow day, esp on a Friday, but I need the work hours. We need the $$.

Felt good to hang in the barn today. And I did some shoveling again, so I don't feel too bad about not running. Yet. I'm bummed about not running, but I'm feeling very human today.
:

#16 ·
Dear SS,
The arrival of your package today was almost providential (again!). After a crazy day at work and almost crashing my bike trying to avoid a
pedestrian who walked out into the road in front of me, I came home to find your package, with the thoughtful note, the Clif Bars, the post-run drink mix (cannot wait to try it, it is actually motivating me to go run), the very cool wrist band, and the bag of tea! I'm drinking a cup of the vanilla rooibus now and the worries of the day are almost forgotten

PS - Your handwriting looks really familiar - just kidding

Thank you so much!

#17 ·
grnmtn - ah, utah. my favorite place to snowboard.
i hope news from your stepmom is good

geo- i hope you hear some favorable news soon, too

re: chai bread
will it just not taste the same without the clove? i have all ingredients except for that...and i want to make it!

#18 ·
hey, if you are going to bake Chai bread, you might as well do it right!

I need to catch up on some sewing tonight, so I need to make the painful break with MDC - I am so hooked.

I just listed another quilt on Etsy (one like Monakita's
) which feels good. I just have to keep at it - I get so easily distracted and discouraged.

Okay. Must tuck girls into bed and get sewing. And brace myself for road closures tomorrow, no matter how badly I need to get to this appointment.
: I am not liking the sound of freezing rain falling on my house for the third straight hour. Not one bit.

#21 ·
Kerc - Cute snowshoer and what an amazingly cute round head on L! Adorable!!!

Poppy - Did I already mention that it was only yesterday when I first noticed th appeal of guinea pigs? I think it was the unattended homebirth thing that turned the tide in her favor. I hope you stay safe and sound tonight, that weather sounds fierce! I'm not sure the 1/4 tsp of clove will really make or break the cake, ahem bread, I'd just add more cardamom and cinnamon.

That goes for all of you mamas up the east coast and in blizzard-ville! Stay safe and warm!

So, I figured that my SS would get her goodies late but I am beginning to wonder, I haven't heard a peep about anything arriving. I hope she isn't beginning to feel unloved! Don't worry little SS! There are goodies on the way!
I just hope they didn't "go missing" somewhere between here and there!

jooj - Hey, you need that Chai bread this weekend! Think of it as carbo-loading before your marathon shoveling event this weekend!

Mandy and Geo - I am sending out prayers for good outcomes to both of your families.

#22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
I gave in. Chai bread is in the oven...with cocoa powder and bittersweet choc chips added.
And that is SO a cake.
I caved, too. Its in the oven. Without the chocolate, though, and I'll skip the frosting.

Mandy - I hope your dad is okay!! I'm glad you enjoyed your visit. Now you know why my husband will never leave Utah.

Geo - Thinking of you.

Poppy - Just pop on over to my house and I'll loan you the cloves. Then you can stay the night and knit with me, and go boarding tomorrow. Sound good?

#23 ·
Poppy, I say go for it. It's only 1/8 tsp and I'm not that wild about cloves anyway. What I am wondering about is tea vs. water... does the tea make a huge difference? It is Chai bread after all. I think I might go mix some up... MIL is coming tomorrow night, she might like it.

Mandy I hope everything is OK with your dad. Please give us an update when you can.

I just got back from my run. I'm not sure when I'll get tomorrow's run in... it's a busy day, and also our 6th anniversary. We're going out to eat and then to the bowling alley! We haven't been bowling in forever. This anniversary means so much to me. I'm thankful we're celebrating it together... and you dingos are part of the reason we are. Thanks for listening.

#24 ·
I skipped my run tonight because i'm still not feeling well. I've had a blinding, throbbing headache off and on, and nausea off and on as well. I probably could have done it tonight but didn't want to push it. I have to run long by myself this weekend....the plan says 16 miles, but I seriously doubt that I will do that by myself. As long as I run 12 or so I'll be fine with that.
The weather here is crazy! Too bad our daycare doesn't close when schools do

I called and left a voicemail for the HR lady this morning and then emailed the director (who I work with a lot and is the one who asked me to apply)...he replied and the HR lady called back. Both said that everything is looking good. They both said that everything has been "very positive" so far and that both the HR lady and the other woman who interviewed me were pleased. I should get a paper application to complete and return tomorrow, and should hear more next week. They said that they like to bring three candidates in for face to face interviews and I should know soon if I get one. I don't know if they'd fly me in (Charlotte, NC) or just do another phone interview. We'll see, but at least I'm still in the ballgame!

#25 ·
Subbing.

I'm really dragging butt tonight. Had a nice first time mama client have a cesarean birth after a 36 hour attempted induction this am. 9 lbs 15 oz baby. Induction for postdates (42 + weeks) and just wasn't gonna happen. On the one hand, we did just about everything to make this not work we could - induction with an unfavorable cervix and a big baby, early epidural, lots of lying in bed, AROM and I feel badly that the result was predictable. On the other hand, this was not a mama that was going to try much to get her baby out. In all that time I couldn't once talk her into hands and knees, walking, getting in the tub, or holding off on pain meds at least until labor was established - it's hard not to feel that the outcome would have been the same no matter what, given her plans. Wish they'd given me a crystal ball with the diploma - then I'd know to not stay up 2 nights with someone and still end up in surgery with them! At any rate, the baby is gorgeous and will be well loved, and I console my tired self with the fact that even though I'm exhausted, I didn't just labor 36 hours and have major surgery!

No run now since Sunday. Will have to try to get back on track tomorrow.
Too tired to figure out any personals, except Geo: have been thinking about you guys all day. Hope dh is holding it together and can at least be a comfort to FIL and MIL. I have to tell you a goofy science fair/teacher story when I'm not so tired and you're not so stressed.

#26 ·
i haven't been able to talk to my stepmomm, but have gotten some news. my dad is in the icu, he had heart failure after the surgery and is on a respirator and is completely knocked out. i'm wishing i hadn't been in such a hurry to drive back today, i should have stuck around. i just throught that this would be a normal thing and that we would be in the way.

i had a cup of caffeine tea on the drive home and so between that and the worry, i'm wide awake. watching the Winds of War mini-series on dvd (did anyone else have a major crush on Jan Michael Vincent with this came out in 1983?) and knitting socks. these seem like appropriate things to do while in the midst of a great worry. depending on how things go I may drive back down to PA tomorrow or saturday. i wish i had had the sense to stay there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.