Couch to 5k: Who's in? - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-06-2007, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did it! I just did the first day! I totally didn't think I would even be able to do that, but I did!

My goal is to be able to go on a jog w/DH. Right now, there is no way I could, but I'm thinkin' if I stick with this program, I'll be able to by August!

I felt a bit stretched by the last 60 secs of running, but I perservered and put one foot in front of the other! I'll be checking back after I do my second installment on Friday!

SAHM to four beautiful babes :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2007, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotheringHeart View Post
I did it! I just did the first day! I totally didn't think I would even be able to do that, but I did!

One thing about this program is that I was constantly amazing myself with the things I found out I could do!: Even though the program said I would run 20 minutes straight at the end of week 5, I didn't really believe it. I figured other people might be able to, but not me. It has been a serious boost in my self confidence.

I'm now running for 50 minutes at a time, and over 4 miles! And I'm only 6 weeks out of the program. If I can do it, anybody can!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 06-06-2007, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
That's one of the biggest things that got me hooked on running was that I felt so good self-esteem wise afterwards. My dad wasn't the best parent growing up, to put it mildly, but when I went home last month for my sisters wedding and was told by him that I was fat (to paraphrase it) it didn't slow me down at all. I actually found it amusing that he was still the same old insensitive so and so that I grew up with while I, on the other hand, had moved on and was happy and healthy. Who cares what someone like that says when you can run 13 miles? It was the final tie to break me free from him, that being able to take his criticism and find amusement from it. Got to say, it felt good. My weight is still much higher than I want it to be, but that should disappear as I get my diet adjusted to account for my food sensitivites, and my depression has completely disappeared. Who needs therapists when running will do that for you?
Old 06-06-2007, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
bec

I have totally found that running is the best thing for depression! I had been feeling really blue (for no great reason, either, it's not like we had a lot of stress in our lives) right around when I started the program. The running really changed it.

Good for you for being able to break free of your father's toxic and negative attitude!

Old 06-06-2007, 09:33 PM

Did week 8, day 2. Felt stronger today, and did the 28 mins.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by msumomma View Post
Did week 8, day 2. Felt stronger today, and did the 28 mins.
Awesome! You're almost there!

Old 06-07-2007, 01:03 AM

Yay, MotheringHeart! I'm just starting, too! I did w1d2 today. I think I have to find a way to pack water with me to keep me cool, though.

Yipee all you more seasoned runners! You are inspiring me! I think running is great for depression, too!
Old 06-07-2007, 02:05 AM

I have not been able to start yet. To much going on once things settle down I will start hopefully monday :

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Old 06-07-2007, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
One thing about this program is that I was constantly amazing myself with the things I found out I could do!: Even though the program said I would run 20 minutes straight at the end of week 5, I didn't really believe it. I figured other people might be able to, but not me. It has been a serious boost in my self confidence.

I'm now running for 50 minutes at a time, and over 4 miles! And I'm only 6 weeks out of the program. If I can do it, anybody can!
I *completely* agree. I just did W5D2 today, and while I briefly thought that 8 minutes was so much longer and, therefore, so much more difficult, I just told myself to trust that it was possible. It was easier than monday!

It's such a great feeling now to feel like I'm a "runner" who actually thinks about running when I have an off day, and who really relishes the running while I'm doing it (most of the time). This is very cool. And like bec said, if I can do it, this is easy peasy for anyone else.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:00 AM

Does anyone else run first thing in the morning? Since the hot weather has set in, and taking DH's work schedule into consideration, my only choice is first thing -- 6:30am!!! It's caused quite a set-back in my routine because I'm dragging.

Any advice from those who run that early?

Maybe I just need to plug on through this summer at whatever pace I can keep. The choice is between running in the heat (mid 80s by 10am and 90s by the time DH gets off work) vs running first thing in the morning.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
That's the time I go for runs. I used to head out without eating breakfast for fear of puking my guts up along the road, but I've found out that if I'm up at 5:45, eat at 6:00, then head out at 6:30 I'm fine and the extra boost from having a good meal in me helps a lot. We get hot and very humid here as well and I am sooo not interested in running in that. Only thing I have to really worry about running that early is during the winter time when it's in the negatives when I head out that. All I have to say is layers, layers, layers. I'd invest in some good winter running gear, but I'll still be pregnant this winter and since it's my last I'm not spending that much money on (extremely) expensive maternity running gear.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:07 PM

I'm in! I'm 6 weeks post c-section and horribly out of shape, so I might repeat a week here and there, but I'll do it. My goal is to run the 5k at Colorado AIDS Walk on September 9 (my birthday).

And since I'll be walking 3 miles home from work because my husband and I share a car and him and Elizabeth won't be up at 0600 to pick me up, I can just run on the way home. That starts next month. Hooray for "me time!"
Old 06-07-2007, 10:32 PM

I redid Week 3 and finished today. It was pretty easy this time around. I think that my doing the ellipitcal on my "days off" has helped. I start Week 4on Sunday. I am also starting a new job next week. I'll have a slightly longer commuter and I don't know if I'll have the same flexible hours as before so I'm a little worried about fitting it all in, but I'll manage.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
Old 06-07-2007, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrum97 View Post
I redid Week 3 and finished today. It was pretty easy this time around. I think that my doing the ellipitcal on my "days off" has helped. I start Week 4on Sunday. I am also starting a new job next week. I'll have a slightly longer commuter and I don't know if I'll have the same flexible hours as before so I'm a little worried about fitting it all in, but I'll manage.
Good for you for finishing week 3! You're doing great!

As far as fitting it in, make it a priority. The dishes and laundry can wait.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
As far as fitting it in, make it a priority. The dishes and laundry can wait.
I couldn't agree with this more. I put ME before the housework now. When I was very overweight, I put me last. I see that now.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:21 PM

I just found out about this program yesterday and am very excited to start. I'm trying to download the podcasts and I need some help. I can see Week 1, and play it on my computer, but once I download it, it always shows up (and plays) in iTunes as week 9! What am I doing wrong? How can I get the other weeks?

TIA!
Old 06-08-2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMommy View Post
I just found out about this program yesterday and am very excited to start. I'm trying to download the podcasts and I need some help. I can see Week 1, and play it on my computer, but once I download it, it always shows up (and plays) in iTunes as week 9! What am I doing wrong? How can I get the other weeks?

TIA!
Never mind, I figured it out!
Old 06-09-2007, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Good luck with your new job and routine! I'm sure you'll find a way to make it work.

It does get easier with extra "side workouts", I've found too. I have yet to see any improvement in my swimming due to the running, but I do think the running is benefitting from the swimming.

In other news, W5 is finished for me today! Turns out, as many have insisted, 20 minutes is achievable. It felt great! Really! It calls for a : even.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:01 PM

I live in an area where it's really cold in the winter, and hot, hazy, and humid in the summer (our spring lasts about 3 hours )

I have little kids, so mornings and nights are usually out in terms of going outside to run or whatever. Has anyone tried couch to 5k on a treadmill indoors.

Sorry for a dumb question, but it seems to me that most folks who run are really devoted to the idea of running outdoors...

Thanks!
Old 06-09-2007, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter
bec

I ran most of the program inside on the treadmill, because of winter weather. I'm running outside, now, but anticipate having to move inside when cold weather returns. Go for it!

Old 06-09-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GouGou View Post
Has anyone tried couch to 5k on a treadmill indoors.
Right now, I am running the program on a treadmill. I figure I will do that until the weather cools off in Sept and then run outside until it gets too cold and then go back outside in the spring. I'm a total wimp when it comes to being outside when it's too hot, but could probably deal with it in the cold until it gets super cold outside.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
Old 06-09-2007, 09:42 PM

I just stumbled on this thread in new posts & I'm in!

I reeaally need to get back in shape & I'm dedicated to really getting into a groove this summer...I'm off for the summer, dd is at camp & I'm so looking forward to being able to devote time to this. I even found a great run to do at the 9/10 week mark that has a fun run for dd too.

I'm sure I'll be back & need some encouragement!
Old 06-09-2007, 10:03 PM

I got an iPod shuffle today (it's adorable and orange and teeny) and immediately synced the podcast for wk 1 on to it.

i think I'm gonna start tomorrow!

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
Old 06-10-2007, 01:35 AM

Welcome new runners!

Ok, I finished W1d3 today. I did not want to do it and procrastinated all day but glad it's done now.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GouGou View Post
I live in an area where it's really cold in the winter, and hot, hazy, and humid in the summer (our spring lasts about 3 hours )

I have little kids, so mornings and nights are usually out in terms of going outside to run or whatever. Has anyone tried couch to 5k on a treadmill indoors.

Sorry for a dumb question, but it seems to me that most folks who run are really devoted to the idea of running outdoors...

Thanks!
I am doing it on the TM. I also have little ones and this works best for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehbub View Post
I got an iPod shuffle today (it's adorable and orange and teeny) and immediately synced the podcast for wk 1 on to it.

i think I'm gonna start tomorrow!
Yay for you! I want the orange one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momazon4 View Post
Welcome new runners!

Ok, I finished W1d3 today. I did not want to do it and procrastinated all day but glad it's done now.
Woohoo!

Welcome new runners!

I start week 4 tomorrow.

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

Old 06-10-2007, 06:17 PM

I'm in!!!!

I just went out and bought some new running shoes (Asics Gel 2120), have got the podcast loaded on my iPod, and am set to start with w1d1 tomorrow first thing in the morning. I'm so freakin' excited!!!!

I ran track and cross country in high school, but then injured my knee my first week of college and quit running. That was 18 years ago (half my life now!), and I'm a little nervous about whether or not I can actually do this. But I've read so much of this thread that makes this program sound like a gentle way to break in - so I'm psyched to try. In addition to a tricky knee, I also have a tendency toward shin splints and one tight Achilles tendon. Am hoping I can stretch well enough to prevent any problems.... [Up to now, I have been lifting weights and walking a lot, without any real issues except for occasional knee pain].

Fingers crossed....
Old 06-10-2007, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
bec

Welcome New runners!!! I hope you all love this program like I did!

Stacey - I think stretching, strength training, and going slow are the keys to avoiding injury, particularly if you have been injured before. You can do it!

Old 06-10-2007, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthchick View Post
I ran track and cross country in high school, but then injured my knee my first week of college and quit running. That was 18 years ago (half my life now!), and I'm a little nervous about whether or not I can actually do this. But I've read so much of this thread that makes this program sound like a gentle way to break in - so I'm psyched to try. In addition to a tricky knee, I also have a tendency toward shin splints and one tight Achilles tendon. Am hoping I can stretch well enough to prevent any problems.... [Up to now, I have been lifting weights and walking a lot, without any real issues except for occasional knee pain].

Fingers crossed....
I have found the warm up and cool down walks in the program really help. I have, on occasion, been tempted to forgo the cool down walks, but I am very glad that I haven't skipped them. You can do it!

I just completed Week 4 Day1 and I did it this time around! I tried about two weeks ago and couldn't finish so I rested a week and then repeated Week 3. Doing that seemed to help and I think that doing 30 minutes on the elliptical on days off helped me get ready for Week 4. I don't start my new job until Wednesday so I will be able to get Day 2 in this week without the added stress of a new job.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:25 PM

Quote:
I have found the warm up and cool down walks in the program really help. I have, on occasion, been tempted to forgo the cool down walks, but I am very glad that I haven't skipped them. You can do it!

I just completed Week 4 Day1 and I did it this time around! I tried about two weeks ago and couldn't finish so I rested a week and then repeated Week 3. Doing that seemed to help and I think that doing 30 minutes on the elliptical on days off helped me get ready for Week 4. I don't start my new job until Wednesday so I will be able to get Day 2 in this week without the added stress of a new job.
Great job!

I did week three a few weeks too. This last week I did great and I am pumped for week 4 day 1 tomorrow!

I love how I can repeat a week if I need to.

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

Old 06-10-2007, 10:07 PM

oh boy. wk1d1. feel like crap.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)

User Tag List