Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow! Congratulations, bec! Woo!
#362 of 687 Old 06-17-2007, 02:20 AM

I'm SO glad that I checked this forum tonight!! This is EXACTLY what I was on here looking for!

Since my dd was born I've lost near 70 pounds and am feeling inspired to get really serious about weight loss and exercise

I've decided that I'm going to start training for marathons and would really like to be ready to do a 5K Race for the Cure in October . I have some goals of doing some 30+ mile bike races next year as well and ideally would love to do a half Iron Man some time in the next couple of years :

My dh and I did a small local walk-a-thon a few weeks ago that got me into the competitive spirit and I started doing some short jogs last night.

I broke my right ankle several years back, never had it treated and it healed oddly and my left ankle is not faring well because I compensate for the damage to my right. I imagine that I'm destined for some PT somewhere along the line but I'm ready to do it .
#363 of 687 Old 06-18-2007, 09:32 AM

I just got back from w2d1 - yowza it worked me, but I feel great. I woke up this morning with three obstacles to starting week 2: I failed to turn my alarm on, so I overslept; I started my period (early) and felt like crap; my iPod had synching issues and almost didn't get the week 2 podcast loaded. Of all the obstacles, it was the iPod one that almost killed things for me - I couldn't imagine taking my run without Robert Ullrey! But I got things sorted out, and got the cast loaded, and went ahead with it. I'm glad I did!

I have been doing lots of additional stretching for my very tight hamstrings. These tight muscles really put additional stress on my knees (esp. the one with the old injury). I read online that if you sit at a desk or a computer a lot (which I do) that can contribute to the shortening and tightening of the hamstrings. THe stretch that is making the biggest difference for me is one I do in bed at night - I stretch one leg up towards the ceiling with a towel wrapped around my foot, and I hold on to the towel and pull gently for about 10 breaths. I do this a few times with each leg, and I can tell a big difference in the morning.

I still need to be doing more for my tight achilles, though.

I'm so, so glad I found you guys, this plan, and Robert Ullrey!
#364 of 687 Old 06-18-2007, 10:06 AM

I'm so glad I wandered over into this forum.
Does anyone do this on a treadmill? It's just too hot here for me to run outside. I'm truly, truly starting from the couch and would probably die if I ran/walked outside right now. I have all the podcast loaded and I will be doing this on the treadmill at my gym.

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#365 of 687 Old 06-18-2007, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
bec

I did most of it on the treadmill. I didn't have the podcasts (too much of a dork to figure it out), so I needed the treadmill timer. It worked really well on the treadmill. I started going outside when I was doing longer runs towards the end of the program.

I hear you on it getting hot outside!

The bottom line is that the routine that you are able to stick with is the one that you will have the most success at. So, if you want to be inside, go for it!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#366 of 687 Old 06-18-2007, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
I did most of it on the treadmill. I didn't have the podcasts (too much of a dork to figure it out), so I needed the treadmill timer. It worked really well on the treadmill. I started going outside when I was doing longer runs towards the end of the program.

I hear you on it getting hot outside!

The bottom line is that the routine that you are able to stick with is the one that you will have the most success at. So, if you want to be inside, go for it!
Thanks for the encouragement. I'll check back from time to time. Today is day one!

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#367 of 687 Old 06-19-2007, 01:18 AM

W7D1 done! I focussed on really working harder, and I dropped 30 seconds off my average per mile pace. Thus, I went almost 3 miles from the beginning of the time to the end (so, including the warm up and cool down). Felt good. Can't wait for D2!

Go newbies! Have fun! You can do it!
#368 of 687 Old 06-19-2007, 07:51 AM

Wow, lazra, that is SO awesome! It is so encouraging to read reports from those of you further along than me. Gives me hope of where I might be soon.

Today is just a walk day for me (I walk 45 minutes on my non-running days), but I'm so bummed. My iPod is acting up again (it has had the "do not disconnect" symbol on all night and all morning and won't turn on, won't be recognized by my Mac, etc.). I was really looking forward to listening to the new Cast On podcast. Plus it's raining, so I have to walk on the treadmill - won't even have the outdoors to keep me from being bored. Bleh.
#369 of 687 Old 06-19-2007, 07:52 AM

Oops - never mind my whining - I just got my iPod fixed. Yay for apple.com support!
#370 of 687 Old 06-19-2007, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
bec

That's awesome, Lazra! I found week 7 to be the hardest week for me (although, honestly, that could have been an AF thing, too). So, great work!!!

I'm glad you got your Ipod fixed, Stacey!

#371 of 687 Old 06-19-2007, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I've been really bad about my eating and running lately. I haven't exercised since 5/25 but finally started up again yesterday. Felt pretty good to get that 3 mile run in. Slower than I wanted, but that's alright I'll clean it up again. Lost 4 lbs last week just by eliminating refined sweeteners, actually refined anything, chocolate, bran, and artificial colors and flavors. I'm hoping that it will continue at the same, or more this week now that I'm exercising again. Confirmed what I knew last week with a positive PT, but as long as I eat healthy and don't overdo my workouts I can safely lose weight during the preg.
#372 of 687 Old 06-20-2007, 12:44 AM

Thanks for the congrats, ladies! We'll see if tomorrow's hilly run will completely undo that progress.

Yay for the ipod fixage! It's a sad sad thing when an ipod won't cooperate. I don't know what I'd do without Ullery's soothing voice and trance-inducing music choices.
#373 of 687 Old 06-20-2007, 09:44 AM

ITA, lazra.

Did w2d2 this morning. Legs felt a little lead-like, but overall it went well. Hope I can keep this up while we're on vacation (leaving at the end of next week).
#374 of 687 Old 06-22-2007, 02:43 AM
Banned

I have been doing pretty poorly on this the last couple of weeks, mostly due to childcare issues. I went to visit the inlaws (me and DD) and I didn't feel that I could run because I was afraid DD would wake up and freak out. The last week I also skipped it because DD and DH had strep and I spent the whole time holding DD. Next week DH will be out of town all week but I think I can get my treadmill set up and do it on there. The only thing is that I am actually afraid to run on my treadmill because I am a big dork and I am afraid that I will trip over my own feet and bonk my head. Aaah. Neuroses.

Tomorrow I start again!
#375 of 687 Old 06-23-2007, 03:04 PM

I did w2d3 today, so 2 weeks down. Woohoo. Felt great (probably the best all week) except I did have some shin pain at one point. I'm a little concerned b/c it was in the same shin, same place where I used to have severe shin splints (when I ran track). I know it would be better to run on trails (as opposed to asphalt), but right now I just don't feel inclined to drive somewhere to go run by myself. Am hoping that with extra stretching, I can head things off....
#376 of 687 Old 06-23-2007, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
bec

Stacey, also slow your pace down a little bit. My understanding is that shin splints can be part of going too fast too soon. I read about some good shin stretches a while back. I'll see if I can dig them up for you.

#377 of 687 Old 06-23-2007, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
bec

Haha! Found it!

It's an entire thread about shin splints with some really good ideas! http://www.mothering.com/discussions...in#post8242052

#378 of 687 Old 06-23-2007, 04:48 PM

Hey everyone!

I got home from a week long vacation last Sunday, and I seem to have come home with a cold. We were backpacking in Colorado, so I did get some exercise on our trip, but I haven't so much as gone for a stroll around the block since we got back.

I'm hoping to get out on a walk tomorrow and see how it feels. I've developed a cough that gets bad at night right when I'm trying to go to sleep. I'm concerned walking, and esp running, will aggravate the cough, but I can't put off exercising forever!!

Hope to get back in the swing of things next week.
#379 of 687 Old 06-23-2007, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
bec

I'm sorry you aren't feeling well. I have found, when I'm a little congested (not full on sick, mind you), that the running actually loosens things up a bit and makes my cough/drainage better.

Do what feels right, and don't push if you are sick. It takes a lot of energy to get well, so just keep that in mind and listen to your body.

#380 of 687 Old 06-23-2007, 10:34 PM

I am bummed as I was excited about Week 5, but after I finished Week 4, I got that dreaded pain in my shins. I decided to take most of this week off and tried to run on Thursday, but about a minute into it, the pain returned. I am going to read the thread on shin splints and see if any of that helps me. Otherwise, I am probably out for another week.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
#381 of 687 Old 06-24-2007, 03:56 PM

Yeah, no matter what, listen to your body. If it hurts, don't do that, as my dad always tells me.

Since it didn't hurt, per se, I ran this week, despite af on Friday. It did make a difference though, making me feel frustrated and slow. On the other hand, now I'm past it and looking forward to week 8! Just two weeks left to graduation.

Have a great Sunday, all!
#382 of 687 Old 06-24-2007, 05:39 PM

ferrum - that makes two of us on the bench for the past couple weeks. Sorry about your shins. I had that when I first started running again after DD2 was born. I iced them as soon as I got home from running. That seemed to help. Also my FP told me to work out my quads & hamstrings which would take some pressure off my shins & calves. That seemed to help some too.

I'm about to head out on a walk. If I feel up to it I might even run some. It's 90 degrees at 3:30 right now. The heat might do me in. I'm taking H2O along just in case! Hopefully I won't end up in a full-blown coughing fit.
#383 of 687 Old 06-25-2007, 09:52 AM

Thanks, bec, for the link to the thread on shin splints. I am trying some of what was posted there to see if it helps.

Shin splints are such a depressing problem to have! Today was w3d1 for me, and it would've been great except for the shin pain. It is bringing back bad memories of track season for me my senior year in high school, when I developed a severe case of shin splints and nothing seemed to helped (even after going to the sports medicine clinic more than once). I tried all the exercises, iced my shins, wrapped my ankles, had the right shoes. But the only thing that helped was to just quit running.

I really don't want to have to stop. I am reading everything I can find about shin splint prevention and cures in hopes of heading this off before it gets too bad....
#384 of 687 Old 06-27-2007, 05:02 PM

After my waah, waah, waah, woe is me post, I'm actually doing some better, thanks in part to a more aggressive stretching program. I am doing a lot of the stretches from the coolrunning site, esp. the ones targeting tight calf muscles, which seem to contribute a lot to shin splints.

Today I checked out ChiRunning from the library. It was recommended on the shin splints thread, and I can already tell I'm going to love it.

This morning I did week 3, day 2. It was a little rough, but I felt awesome afterwards. It's funny how much harder it was to run 3 minutes instead of 90 seconds, even though my total running time this week is less than last week. We leave town for several weeks tomorrow, and I really hope I can stick with it. I've got all nine weeks of Robert Ullrey's podcasts loaded, so I should be set!
#385 of 687 Old 06-27-2007, 05:07 PM

I ran Sunday and Monday. Well, kinda. With this cold settled in my lungs I'm having a hard time. I was able to run in 3 min intervals on Monday. Is that week 2? Anyway, I'm hoping to be back up to my 20 min run and move on from there in the next couple of weeks as I feel better...and if it ever quits raining!
#386 of 687 Old 06-28-2007, 12:00 AM

I've been lazy about stretching, but now that I'm done with W8D2, I'm having some issues with shin splints/tight muscles. Off to check that shin splint thread!
#387 of 687 Old 06-30-2007, 11:54 AM

I have come to join you...
I am going to start tonight. ( if possible, have 2 LO so DH will need to work with me on this)
Wish me luck!
W1D1 here I come.. whoohoo!! I am so excited to do this. we are taking DS to a park to try out his new bike on the smooth path.. so I am think that will be my big oppurtunity to begin. ( I admit I am a little scared..)
#388 of 687 Old 06-30-2007, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
bec

Woot! Woot! Welcome, Zaxmama!

#389 of 687 Old 06-30-2007, 01:33 PM

I'm in!!

I tried to start last week but ended up only going for one of the three scheduled runs so this week I was back out there...I've done 2 of the runs and today I'll go for the 3rd run and then my week 1 will officially be completed!! Yes, this is great for me!
#390 of 687 Old 06-30-2007, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
bec

Way to go, Mary-Beth! Doesn't if feel great to be starting?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page