Couch to 5k: Who's in? - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#421 of 687 Old 07-13-2007, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdabbler View Post
Just found this thread! Joining today. Doing my first workout at lunch today. I hope I can stick to it.

I was able to do two marathons following Galloway. But that was before I had both a full time job and two kids.
Yay!! I hope you had a great run

Kathirynne, yes you can join, we are all going at different paces. I just finished Week 2, Day 2 last night but I did four days of Week 1 and I think I will do four days of week 2, too.

jog.gif:bikenew.gif// knit.gif:reading.gif:notes2.gif // cat.gif:cat.gif 

Our precious baby girl is coming to turn our world upside down in January 2014!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#422 of 687 Old 07-14-2007, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathirynne View Post
I have been toying with this idea for ages, but just decided to do it. (Mostly because I got some family reunion photos developed, and I did NOT like what I saw!)

Can I still join you?
Of course!!! Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdabbler View Post
Just found this thread! Joining today. Doing my first workout at lunch today. I hope I can stick to it.

I was able to do two marathons following Galloway. But that was before I had both a full time job and two kids.
Two marathons! : I'm sure you'll have great success on this program!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#423 of 687 Old 07-16-2007, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crayolaab View Post
Yesterday we skipped part of the loop so we ended up running down the hill, and that's when the headache was worst. I would have expected the opposite since running downhill is easier.
Running downhill is really hard on your body. If it were me, I would always try to run uphill. It works your muscles more, but running downhill can hurt your feet, ankles, knees, back... pretty much everything. When running uphill, imagine that there is a cable attached to the middle of your chest pulling you uphill. That will help keep your chest wide and open, and keep your back straight. If you try to run hunched over up a hill you'll get side cramps and get out of breathe. Hope that helps a little and sorry for just jumping in. I saw your post and just wanted to give you the info I had for running hills

coffee-drinking caffix.gifsocial worker in HIV/AIDS ribbonred.giflady-loving ribbonrainbow.gifbike-riding bikenew.gifmom of two twins.gif
#424 of 687 Old 07-16-2007, 10:46 AM

I'm still here! Just plugging along. Maybe I need to start a group for runners who don't really run much.

It's become so hot and humid, so I have to run in the early morning before DH leaves for work. Early mornings are hard for me. Though I just read somewhere that you can teach your body to exercise early, and it will actually begin to prepare for the exercise while you're still sleeping. If I try to run in the heat I start strong, but fizzle out. When I run in the early morning I start fizzled but end strong.

I'm just waiting for summer to end which in central Texas will be around Halloween!

Well, I'm still trying to get back up to where I was at week 6. I'm adding about a minute to my runs every day. It's harder since I've started running in the early a.m. But I'm hanging in there!
#425 of 687 Old 07-16-2007, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I've been horrible with my running. I haven't done anything consistently since the half-marathon May 19th. I'm almost 2 mths now, so hopefully the extreme exhaustion will be over soon and I can get back into running. Here's hoping that I manage to go for a run tonight!
#426 of 687 Old 07-16-2007, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wemoon View Post
Running downhill is really hard on your body. If it were me, I would always try to run uphill. It works your muscles more, but running downhill can hurt your feet, ankles, knees, back... pretty much everything. When running uphill, imagine that there is a cable attached to the middle of your chest pulling you uphill. That will help keep your chest wide and open, and keep your back straight. If you try to run hunched over up a hill you'll get side cramps and get out of breathe. Hope that helps a little and sorry for just jumping in. I saw your post and just wanted to give you the info I had for running hills

Thanks.. maybe that's the problem, I always get this weird cramp in my shoulder going uphill. I should clarify though that we are talking about very short hills - when I was doing the "run for 60 seconds" week I could run all the way up the hill, around on the flat up top bit, and then partly downhill before it was time to walk again. So very short distances

THank you though very much, that is good info to try to keep in mind. Now that I am on longer running stretches I need to find a different route to run - this one is too boring (I can only run in circles for so long )

#427 of 687 Old 07-16-2007, 09:10 PM

We were on vacation this weekend in Victoria BC and I forgot my shuffle but didn't want to skip my saturday run - so I tried to do it with a watch. I didn't do too badly! Once I got confused and instead of 90 second run, 120 second walk I did 90 second run, 90 second walk. But I did it!! I am all set to do W2, D4 today - then start week 3 on Wednesday. I am doing 4 days of week 2 cause I took 4 days off in between day 2 and day 3.

#428 of 687 Old 07-16-2007, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter
bec

You're doing great!

#429 of 687 Old 07-16-2007, 10:41 PM

I finished my third and final day for Week 1 yesterday. I made dh come with the girls. Dh does NOT run and I can barely get him to go for a walk. This was heaven for me to have him along. I'm really hoping he'll take more walks, I think he needs it not just physically, but mentally too.

So I walked for the first 5 minutes with dh while he pushed the double stroller. I would then run away for my 60 sec and walk back to them during the 90. My oldest thought I was weird

Reading your posts, I guess we're all suffering from the muggies. Although it was 85+ on Sunday, I was running in a real stiff ocean breeze.

I'm so psyched to start week 2 on Wednesday.
#430 of 687 Old 07-16-2007, 11:02 PM

You all are doing great!

I ran 4 sets of 3min each tonight. I am sort of doing a extra week gearing up for week 4 yet again.

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#431 of 687 Old 07-16-2007, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Now that I am on longer running stretches I need to find a different route to run - this one is too boring (I can only run in circles for so long )
When I first started running, I ran around the sidewalks that surround my apartment complex... yea that got boring REAL quick!

coffee-drinking caffix.gifsocial worker in HIV/AIDS ribbonred.giflady-loving ribbonrainbow.gifbike-riding bikenew.gifmom of two twins.gif
#432 of 687 Old 07-17-2007, 01:09 PM

I want to do this, but I'm not sure if I can handle it. Every year my town has a 2 mile run on the 4th of july following the parade route. Well, my family has a family trophy which goes to the one in the family who finishes first - this was the 13th year we've been doing it. I've only run the race once, and walked it once.

The problem is I'm 188 pounds and large chested. I've been doing my elliptical trainer off and on (was sick last month so I'm just getting into it), but I'm not sure if I'm up for this or not. Anyone else with 40 pounds to lose or more try this?

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#433 of 687 Old 07-17-2007, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
bec

I was 194 when I started it! My suggestion is a really good jog/sports bra, good shoes, and be willing to start it slow!

Interestingly, I started for much the same reasons. There is a 4th of July 5k in my town that I have always wanted to participate in. This was my first running of it!

#434 of 687 Old 07-17-2007, 03:21 PM

That's good to hear. I like to read about others going through the same thing, because otherwise I get discouraged.

Some logistical questions - how do you time your runs?

When do you go? Do you push a jogging stroller while doing it?
DH doesn't get home from work until 7:30 most days, so I think I'd either have to do it with the kids in the jogging stroller (pushing 100 pounds) or I'd have to do it after DH gets home and I feel bad abandoning him at dinner and I'm not sure I can run after dinner and at that point it would be dark anyway.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#435 of 687 Old 07-17-2007, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymoo View Post
That's good to hear. I like to read about others going through the same thing, because otherwise I get discouraged.

Some logistical questions - how do you time your runs?

When do you go? Do you push a jogging stroller while doing it?
DH doesn't get home from work until 7:30 most days, so I think I'd either have to do it with the kids in the jogging stroller (pushing 100 pounds) or I'd have to do it after DH gets home and I feel bad abandoning him at dinner and I'm not sure I can run after dinner and at that point it would be dark anyway.
I don't have kids. But, my boyfriend doesn't get home until between 7-8 pm and then we eat. It's been really hot out so I have not wanted to run after work (I get home by 5 usually). So, I have dinner ready when he gets home and then we eat (we tend to have light-er dinners, not too heavy) and then I go for a run around 8.30/9pm. I have to wait about 30 minutes after eating before running or I get cramps. It's a little later than I would like since I try to be in bed by 10 but it is usually cooler. This time of year it is still light out. Maybe try it for 1-2 weeks after dinner, or you could eat your dinner earlier and just sit with your DH while he eats. Then once you have done a little bit of running and are a little more familiar with it you could start taking the kids out in the stroller without trying to do both at once. It's light out here until 10 so I don't know what it's like where you are.

#436 of 687 Old 07-17-2007, 04:01 PM

Hi y'all-hope you don't mind me crashing your thread, but I just wanted to tell you what a great job you're doing!

Mightymoo-I could easily lose 40 pounds and I run. I'm up to about 6-7 miles right now. I am also large chested (nursing a LOT ). You definetely need a good bra (the Enell is pricy, but awesome for large breasts). I have also used a mid-range sports bra and a very tight tank w/build in bra. It's so snug it just kind of binds my breasts so they don't bounce at all. Not ideal, but it works.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#437 of 687 Old 07-17-2007, 06:03 PM

nak-

mightymoo-I am large chested too and really want to loose 45-50lbs.

Just take it one run at a time. You will do great!

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#438 of 687 Old 07-17-2007, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter
bec

Mighty Moo - There are podcasts you can download, if you have an MP3 player that have all the timing done for you. I used the timer on my treadmill.

I do a lot of my runs with Abby in the jog stroller. It definitely slows me down, but I'm not going for speed. Just take it slow, and you'll do great!

#439 of 687 Old 07-18-2007, 11:07 AM

Not sure why, but I often feel compelled to report in that I'm about to head out on a run. Maybe it's the accountability? I don't really enjoy running, but it's definitely a quick and efficient way to get the cardio in. I'd prefer to walk, but if I tell y'all I'm going on a run I'd dernsher better do it!!

Hot and muggy be darned!! here i come!!
#440 of 687 Old 07-18-2007, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprildawn View Post
Not sure why, but I often feel compelled to report in that I'm about to head out on a run. Maybe it's the accountability? I don't really enjoy running, but it's definitely a quick and efficient way to get the cardio in. I'd prefer to walk, but if I tell y'all I'm going on a run I'd dernsher better do it!!

Hot and muggy be darned!! here i come!!
Accountability is a great motivator... So how did it go?

#441 of 687 Old 07-19-2007, 10:20 AM

It actually was rather pleasant yesterday. Very muggy, but breezy. So my some of my sweat actually evaporated instead of pouring off my like I was in a shower! Oh, and when I got home DH had taken the girls out for donuts and brought one home for me. Canceled out the calories I burned off running! But I guess it's better than eating a donut and not going running.

Continuing to increase my running. DH is out of town today, so I'm not sure how I can fit a run in. I hear my girls are awake upstairs, so I might put DD2 in the jogger and have DD1 peddle her bike alongside me. Or, I might take an extra day off running this week and do some strength training.
#442 of 687 Old 07-19-2007, 01:35 PM

I did Week 2, Day 4 yesterday (did an extra day).

Finding that I actually ENJOY the run. I hate it when I think about it - I never want to go - but once I change and get out there I actually enjoy it. I think I'd rather run more often than ride the bike at the gym too. Any reason not to run 5 days/week? 3 days pushing it, 2 days light? I'm thinking still go by weeks - so 5 days of each "week". Any thoughts?

#443 of 687 Old 07-19-2007, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
bec

Quote:
I did Week 2, Day 4 yesterday (did an extra day).

Finding that I actually ENJOY the run. I hate it when I think about it - I never want to go - but once I change and get out there I actually enjoy it. I think I'd rather run more often than ride the bike at the gym too. Any reason not to run 5 days/week? 3 days pushing it, 2 days light? I'm thinking still go by weeks - so 5 days of each "week". Any thoughts?
Yes. As a beginning runner, you need to let your body rest and recuperate from the stresses of the running. Your bones, muscles and tendons are getting stronger. By running too much (I would not go more than 3-4 days a week right now), you are putting yourself at a greater risk of injury. My advice would be to stick to the 3 days a week that the program recommends and rest on your rest days. You can work up to 4-5 days of running a week after you have some mileage under your belt.

#444 of 687 Old 07-19-2007, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
Yes. As a beginning runner, you need to let your body rest and recuperate from the stresses of the running. Your bones, muscles and tendons are getting stronger. By running too much (I would not go more than 3-4 days a week right now), you are putting yourself at a greater risk of injury. My advice would be to stick to the 3 days a week that the program recommends and rest on your rest days. You can work up to 4-5 days of running a week after you have some mileage under your belt.
OK, thanks I guess I'll stick to weights on my off days. The gym is just so hot and nasty in the summer

So far it's taken me 3 weeks to get through the first two weeks of the program because of taking too much time off, it's been kind of like Day 1, rest day, day 2, three rest days, day 3, rest day, day 4. I hope to get in more of a rhythm and really stick to run-rest-run-rest-run-rest-rest.

#445 of 687 Old 07-20-2007, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
bec

You can do it! It does take a bit to get into a rhythm. Honestly, it's one of the reasons that I was anxious to get up to 4 days a week after the program.

#446 of 687 Old 07-21-2007, 12:14 AM

Tomorrow I will do Day 3 of Week 4, yay! I am so glad I found this thread about a month ago. I had never heard of Couch to 5K before. And the podcast is great.

A few days ago I got one of those Nike iPod tracking things. I don't have Nike shoes so I sewed a pouch for the chip and velcroed that to my running shoes. That's one fun gadget. I can't wait to see the bar charts of my runs (well, walk/jogs) when I get home - they get uploaded while I'm still sweating.

Mama to a little man who arrived early on 7/18/10! DS2 due in October 2013.

#447 of 687 Old 07-21-2007, 05:32 PM

just curious if these podcasts mentioned at the beginning of the thread will run on a ipod? i have trouble putting anything on it that doesn't come from itunes.:
#448 of 687 Old 07-21-2007, 06:09 PM

So I jsut noticed that there is a button on the left side of his page to download through itunes - but it's only the last week of the program.
#449 of 687 Old 07-21-2007, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nora_SEA View Post
So I jsut noticed that there is a button on the left side of his page to download through itunes - but it's only the last week of the program.
If you do a search within the iTunes store for "Podcasts for Running" you will find it and can download all the weeks.

Mama to a little man who arrived early on 7/18/10! DS2 due in October 2013.

#450 of 687 Old 07-21-2007, 09:51 PM

I did Week 5 Day 2 today. I actually started Week 5 last week, but I had to take a break because my shin pain had not completely gone away and I didn't want it to get any worse. I realized today that I hadn't had any pain in a couple days so I set out to redo Week 5. I figured I would run the first five minute run and see how I felt. I felt good, so I continued onto Day 2 instead of repeating Day 1 (since I had no problem completing Day 1 last week). It was tough the last two minutes or so of the second run, but I did it. I plan on doing another day of Day 2 and then moving onto Day 3 (full 20 minute run). I did, however, find myself thinking "I could have done Day 3 today" but knowing that it was probaby better that I didn't push myself that far.

Welcome to all the new runners - you can do it!!!!! The podcasts are awesome and they are a big help. I doubt I would have continued the program during the first two weeks or so without them. I had a little trouble getting them onto my ipod, but I figured it out. I had to save them into a folder and then kind of import them into itunes and then onto my ipod. It took me a while to figure it out, but I'm glad that I did.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page