Couch to 5k: Who's in? - Page 17 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#481 of 687 Old 08-06-2007, 04:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
how funny! just last week i set a goal to run the 5k at the Salt Lake Marathon in the spring... and just got to it! i hadn't heard of the couch to 5k program, but i'm a big fan of the idea.

i have my own program going that is very similar. i walk/jog/run 3 miles (about 5k) at least four times a week, and just increase how much actual jog/running i do each time. i've only been doing it for about a week, and i have to say that i am rather impressed by the progress i have made so far! i never thought i'd be able to run and actually ENJOY it! I HATE RUNNING! i honestly look forward to it everyday. yay!
#482 of 687 Old 08-06-2007, 01:34 PM

I started week 4 today - yowza. Doing 5 solid minutes was tough, but I hung in there and did the whole program for the day. It is so great to start the day feeling like I've already accomplished something huge.

I have to say that following the recommendations on running from from ChiRunning seems to be *really* helping with my shin and knee problems. I would highly recommend the book to anyone who has similar issues.
#483 of 687 Old 08-06-2007, 04:09 PM

I am going to whine again so be forewarned--------------
I was running 3 to 4 miles a day before taking 1 month off and now I am dogging it at .5 mile.
OMG this really sucks- how long is it going to take me to get back in shape?? I fell like all last spring was moot....
#484 of 687 Old 08-11-2007, 10:42 PM

I just finished Week 5 Day 2. Day 3 of this week is a 25 minute run and I am pretty confident I can do it!

Good luck to everyone on their program!

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
#485 of 687 Old 08-13-2007, 01:37 PM

Hey ya'll! Newbie here! I read on this thread all last week, and was inspired to do it! I'm on W1D2. DH and I are trading off on the treadmill and bike.

I haven't done any running in oh about 14 years , so I'll be taking this very very slowly! I have about 40 extra lbs lying around that need to come off too, so that helps with the motivation factor.

I'm also having an issue I hope someone can help with. I bought a cheapie mp3 player and cannot figure how to get the podcast on it. (DH is tired of me using his ipod.) I even downloaded software to fix it, but it converted it to an mp4 file. So if anyone has it converted to an mp3 will you please email it to me? wwinorth@yahoo.com

Thanks ladies! You have been such an inspiration!!!

Mel
#486 of 687 Old 08-13-2007, 05:23 PM

I'm a newbie here too!
I just started after reading some of this thread so I just finished W1D1!! I wasn't sure if I could do all the running but I was able to with no problem so I am happy about that.
I'm in my 40's and pretty out of shape. I'd like to lose 40 pounds too and just prove to myself that I CAN be a runner. I like the feeling I get afterwards and would like to get to the point that I can run without stopping. I have never been a runner although I walk and have done exercise before.
So now I'm looking forward to day 2!

Amy in MI
#487 of 687 Old 08-13-2007, 09:42 PM

I was due to start W2 this week, but fell behind due to a family reunion out of town, so will be continuing with W1 for one more week.

I have mine downloaded as an MP3 file, but really don't remember how I got it from the computer to the player. I'll try to see what I have to do when I download W2.

Erin, mom to Amelia Rose:, 6/15/06 and Lily Grace, 6/7/09; wife to Phil since 10/9/04
#488 of 687 Old 08-14-2007, 02:47 AM
Banned

I finished week 4 day 3 yesterday and DH finished week 3 day 3 tonight! Go us!
#489 of 687 Old 08-14-2007, 09:36 PM

I couldn't run this past week, as ds was ill, so I'm redoing W3. I ran tonight and it felt awesome!
#490 of 687 Old 08-15-2007, 12:17 AM

Well, I haven't been running at all. But I'm following the thread until I can get back to running.

We've had extreme heat here the past couple weeks. And for a few days the air quality has been horrible. The last two times I tried to run, which was last week, I felt like someone was sitting on my chest the whole time and I quit running after just a few minutes. Turns out we're having ozone action days, thus the horrible chest crushing feeling. So, I'm sticking to walking until the weather cools off and/or the air quality improves.

Even my DH who cycles, play soccer and is in great shape says he's had it rough out on his bike and running the past couple weeks. It affects a novice like me a lot worse than it does him!!
#491 of 687 Old 08-16-2007, 06:22 PM

Well, I'm starting week 2 tomorrow. I feel so much better! I have lost a bit of weight (since July 30 about 10 lbs. But, I'm also doing the insulin resistance diet) Glad to see you all are hanging in there! Keep up the good work ladies!!
Mel
#492 of 687 Old 08-17-2007, 12:03 AM

Hi all! I just finished getting my shiny new IPod (thanks mom!!!) loaded up with the podcast for week 1 and am ready to hit the pavement tomorrow! I tried to do this program about a year ago by keeping time on my cell phone. What a pain!! Not surprisingly, I didn't stick with it. I stumbled across your thread and found out about the podcasts and I am pumped!! I am pregnant so I am going to play it by ear and see how it goes. I have been exercising although not running. I know that it will be slow, but hopefully I will be able to finish the program. I have plenty of time to work on speed (like when I'm not pregnant) There is a local 5K the beginning of November which I would love to run in (Obviously not for time as a beginning runner that will be 7 months pregnant but just to finish!!) Anyway, I look forward to getting to know you all and will check back in after my run tomorrow.
Katie
#493 of 687 Old 08-17-2007, 08:56 AM

Good morning all! I just finished my first run/walk. It went pretty well. I love the podcasts!!! What an improvement over trying to juggle a phone along. I'm not sure how long I made it yet but I will probably measure it later. Looking forward to day 2!!
Katie
#494 of 687 Old 08-17-2007, 09:49 AM

I just used map my run ( http://www.mapmyrun.com ) and found I went 1.87 miles this morning. I burned 249 calories and averaged 3.74 MPH or 16:04 min/mi. What a cool site!!! My goal is at least 2 miles by the end of the week.
Katie
#495 of 687 Old 08-17-2007, 01:45 PM

I'm in!
I want to join
This thread is now soooo long that I am hoping one of you will just tell me what the podcasts is that everyone is talking about (I have skimmed through the posts but can't find the one that explains it, just the references to it). the timing thing has been what stopped me from trying this in the past.
I plan to start tonight when DH gets back from work.
#496 of 687 Old 08-17-2007, 03:37 PM

Welcome aboard!! I'm a newbie too who just started this week. I finished week 1 this morning!

Here is a link to the podcasts that everyone is talking about: http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/ I ended up going directly to itunes though and downloading them from there since that is easy for me with an ipod. I think the other website that I linked works better if you have an mp3 player other than an apple ipod.

Amy in MI
#497 of 687 Old 08-17-2007, 03:55 PM

hey thanks amy! i have an ipod so i will try that route. i'm very excited about it as i was wondering just how i was going to run while staring at my watch the whole time. figures there would be an easier way!

I haven't run in years. in fact, i started this year with three months of modified bed rest. i've been working slowly to rebuild my stamina since then (just walking and elliptical) but i am soooooo very excited about getting into running again. I can't wait for dh to get home so i can go do my very first workout
#498 of 687 Old 08-18-2007, 11:42 AM

Yea Softmama! How did it go?

Amytech- we are just about at the same spot!

I started week 2 yesterday, and just made it! AF is here big time(sorry TMI), and I had no energy, but I pushed through! Tomorrow will be easier!

Off to clean the house for a (semi-healthy) cook-out today! Turkey sausages on the grill yummmmm!

Mel
#499 of 687 Old 08-18-2007, 11:58 AM

Hey Mel!
How was week 2? I am wondering if it will feel a lot harder or if I will just be ready for it?
Are you doing the podcasts too?

Enjoy your weekend!

Amy in MI
#500 of 687 Old 08-18-2007, 02:40 PM

Hey all! congrats to those of you who made it through week 1! What are you guys doing on your off days? Are you doing some other kind of workout? I was doing 4-5 days of exercise before I started. I split between cardio and weights. I feel like I should keep up my weights on my off-running days and just replace the cardio with the running. Any thoughts?
Katie
#501 of 687 Old 08-18-2007, 02:42 PM

I wanted to add that I'm not planning to do weights on all the off running days. I was thinking of somthing like this:
Fri-run
Sat-weights
Sun-run
Mon-off
Tues-run
Wed-weights
Thurs-off
#502 of 687 Old 08-18-2007, 02:50 PM

I have been thinking that I should be doing something on my off days too. I was planning on doing weights too but it hasn't happened this first week. Maybe I can start that next week on week 2.
I really want to make sure that I can stick with the c25k. Adding in too much all at the same time makes me lose my focus (sad but true)

Do you use any special program for weights?

Amy in MI
#503 of 687 Old 08-18-2007, 09:06 PM

Hey all! I decided to do an easy 1.5 mile walk today since I am a little bit sore. I want to be really careful to not overdo it also. I may just get through this first week and then add weights back in.
Amy- I have a ton of at home workout videos that have weights. My favorite is Turbo Jam but I also have Slim in Six, Slim Series, and Yoga Booty Ballet. I was using Turbo Jam for both cardio and weights before I started this but now I will just use the weights. They all have the same basic premise of low weights/high reps and lots of squats and lunges. You could probably find some examples of what to do with your arms on a website (curls, tricep extensions, shoulder press, etc) and just do it along with squats and lunges. HTH!
Katie
#504 of 687 Old 08-19-2007, 07:47 AM

I did my very first run! It went well and I was way excited about it
However, I think I will postpone it and start again in a week. we are moving and I need to wait until my stuff arrives so I can have my sports bras. I ran yesterday and realized that I NEED a sports bra to run
But I have downloaded the podcast thing and like it a lot and I'm all gungho and ready to attack this again once I have my stuff!
#505 of 687 Old 08-19-2007, 09:48 AM

Good morning all! Wk1 Day 2 here!! I felt really good today and actually made it further. I turned around too early so I added a little extra on the end and ended up walking for about 5 extra minutes at the end. I couldn't believe how much my numbers improved in just one run!! Using mapmyrun is very motivating at the beginning!! It may get a little discouraging when my numbers aren't improving so quickly though...I need to prepare myself for that now!! Here are my numbers for (day 1) & day 2
total miles-(1.87) 2.21
(30) 35 min
(249) 290 calories
ave mph-(3.74) 3.79
ave min/mile-(16:04) 15:83
Congrats on making it through your first run Softmama!! I am with you on sports bras being a nessecity!! I hope that the runs are going well for everyone else!!
Katie
#506 of 687 Old 08-19-2007, 10:16 AM

Finished W3 again, it was good. Looking forward to W4, I hope the music is better.
#507 of 687 Old 08-20-2007, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I did wk1 day 1 today. I haven't done any running since the half marathon in mid-May and it felt good to get out there again. I figure since I'm pregnant I should do a gradual start and after a wk or two I should be back into the swing of it enough to skip a few wks. I have to say I love the podcasts. I wish I had known about them when I was training for last yrs 5k. If the guy had a similar podcast for a half marathon I would have been loving life for the half marathon too. I'm going to have to surf the web and see if I can find one. Next yr I'm doing the 5k since I'll only be about 2 1/2mths postpartum but the yr after that I'm doing the half again and hopefully I can shave a lot off my abysmal run time. About all I can brag about is that I finished it; unless someone specifically asks how long it took me, I skip telling that part.
#508 of 687 Old 08-20-2007, 11:28 AM
Banned

Just finished week 5. That last day (20 minute run) seemed like a big jump from the previous day (2 - 8 minute runs) and boy did it hurt. In a good way though.
#509 of 687 Old 08-20-2007, 12:42 PM

Way to go!!

I just finished week2 day1 and I thought THAT was a jump! Doable but hard. I think I need to cut way back on the coffee before running-I was feeling a bit naseaus during it. But I DID IT!! Yea for all of us!

Amy in MI
#510 of 687 Old 08-21-2007, 12:55 AM

Great Amy! I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking it was tough! W2D2 went much better for me and tomorrow is W2D3! I'm not sure if I'm ready to move on yet. I may do one more day of W2.

Wow jljeppson! I cannot imagine taking this on while pregnant! You go girl!

Ditto on needing sports bras! Ouch!!

Happy running!!

Mel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page