Couch to 5k: Who's in? - Page 23 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-21-2008, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lafemmedesfemmes View Post
i don't have that much weight to lose, but i'm part of the couch-to-5k community on livejournal, and there is one woman on there who is currently on week 8, and is 315 pounds at 5'8". she's totally an inspiration to me! and there are other people in the community with comparable goals to yours. so i'd say go for it! and listen to your body as you do!

good luck!

christina
(week 1, day 5-- yes, i'm repeating week 1 )
Could you post the link to the LJ comm? TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2008, 05:12 PM

For anyone doing this to help lose a fair bit of weight... combined with a healthy, relatively low calorie diet, what sort of weight loss figures are you seeing along the way?
Old 05-27-2008, 12:02 PM

I am getting ready to start week 2 tomorrow. My DH is a runner and has done a half marathon. It will be nice to have a common activity -- though I am not looking to do marathons.

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
Old 05-27-2008, 12:46 PM

lafemmedesfemmes- I am also a weak swimmer. i swim for a half hour and basically what I do is breast stroke down the pool (because I can breath with this stroke) then crawl/freestyle back. then I hang on to the side until I catch my breath. then I repeat for a total of half an hour. not much, but I figure eventually I will build up to something.

I am on a slight hiatus. i had surgery on my bladder two weeks ago. it will be another four weeks til I can run again. So I will start the program from the beginning. I am thinking about just aiming for the 20 min run. I do fine til I get there, but every time I make the leap to 25 min my knees start to bother me. so maybe I'm meant to be a 20 min runner only!

great job everybody and i will join you again in a few weeks!
Old 05-27-2008, 01:08 PM

I downloaded the podcasts a couple days ago and did my first day. Today will be my second day but with a jogging stroller and kid today...weather is perfect. I am going shortly!

Cheers
Old 05-29-2008, 07:42 PM

I did my first day on Tuesday, so tonight will be my second day of the first week. I bought some new running shoes today, so I'm excited to try them out.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:13 AM

I finished week one!

I run again tomorrow...I have a wierd schedule. Of course it's calling for rain so I might go Sunday instead.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:52 AM

Last night was hard. It sucked in fact.

Any of you more experienced runners know what causes side pains while running, and how to get rid of them?????
Old 05-31-2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nora--not a llama View Post
Last night was hard. It sucked in fact.

Any of you more experienced runners know what causes side pains while running, and how to get rid of them?????
I don't know...I used to get "stitches" when I walked fast but I'm not getting them now since I started c~5k...maybe it has to do with your form..I don't know but I hope you figure it out.

I just did day one of week two. It was amazing! I run in the country and I had horses in a field coming to see me and then they galloped away..it was awesome..and I could smell wild roses..it was incredibly wonderful!

I then went for a walk with my girls in the wagon..I've been very acting these past few weeks! It seems that activity encourages more activity..I love it!
Old 06-02-2008, 02:29 PM

I finished week one.....but I'm doing it again. I am so terribly out of shape (not to mention overweight), and I just don't feel comfortable moving on yet.

I run in town, but the street that I run on is full of old houses and yards full of flowers and climbing vines. So, even though I'm running on a sidewalk in town, the smell of flowers is absolutely heady.....and I love it!
Old 06-03-2008, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nora--not a llama View Post
I finished week one.....but I'm doing it again. I am so terribly out of shape (not to mention overweight), and I just don't feel comfortable moving on yet.

I run in town, but the street that I run on is full of old houses and yards full of flowers and climbing vines. So, even though I'm running on a sidewalk in town, the smell of flowers is absolutely heady.....and I love it!

I had considered doing that but figured I'd give week 2 a try just to see..it wasn't much of an adjustment..90sec and then 2minute walk. I'm glad I moved on! But of course you know your own body best...keep up the great work!

First time was a killer...second time was amazing!

Tomorrow I do the last run for week 2 and then it's on to week 3!
Old 06-04-2008, 02:14 PM

My goal is to run in the Freedom 5K on the 4th of July. I am hoping that the gym sponsoring it (where I'm a member) will have childcare open that day. Otherwise I have to see if they'll let me bring my jogging stroller (which makes it harder). I am able to run 5K on the treadmill so far at 10 min/mile, but outside is more of a challenge of course with hills and heat and everything. I ran/jogged/walked outside for almost an hour yesterday.

Book lovin librarian nerd mama to Caleb 6/06 and Aiden 4/09: and 1 angel 11/07. "No one cries alone in my presence."
Old 06-05-2008, 01:22 AM

Week 2 is complete! I'm so proud..and today was easier again so I think I'm really ready for Friday to start!

It's amazing how fast our body conditions!
Old 06-07-2008, 02:19 PM

Did first run of week 3 last night!
Old 06-07-2008, 06:55 PM

Hi there!

First time runner here (or very slow jogger ). I never thought that I could be a runner, but after reading about this program, I decided to go for it! I'm really trying to stay positive about my body and its ability to do things.

Anyway, I did Week 1 twice, and I'm finishing Week 2. I'm a little nervous about Week 3. I'm hanging in there just fine so far, but the doubling from 90 sec jogging to 3 min of jogging is making me nervous. I guess I just need to jump in there and if it's not working, I can modify it for a week.

Any tips?

You all are doing great!!!

Christina

dust.gifloving magick mama to DD(7) flower.gif and DS (5) Bolt.gifLife partner DP blueman.gif  earth.gif )0( treehugger.gif
Old 06-08-2008, 11:26 PM

Well, for various reasons tomorrow will mark 2 weeks since I last ran. I completed week 6 during my last run, but I'm thinking that I ought to repeat some to get back up to speed. Anyone have any suggestions on what week of the program I should start on to get back on track?

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2008, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashewMommy View Post
Well, for various reasons tomorrow will mark 2 weeks since I last ran. I completed week 6 during my last run, but I'm thinking that I ought to repeat some to get back up to speed. Anyone have any suggestions on what week of the program I should start on to get back on track?

Thanks!

I'd probably go back to week 4 and see what day one feels like. If it's WAY too easy then go to week 5. does that make sense. I know that I gain endurance pretty fast but if I take two weeks off it takes me at least those two weeks to get back to where I left off. Good luck.

Crystal, wife to John, mama to Jordan 11, Callie 6 and Laney 1.5, expecting baby #4 in Aug 2010
Old 06-12-2008, 09:49 PM

Week 3 is done

I'm a little nervous about week 4 but I'm looking forward to it. What's most amazing is how much easier day 3 of week 3 was compared to week 1!

Week 4 here I come!
Old 06-14-2008, 11:58 AM

I started this last week, but plan to repeat week 1. I've never been a runner/jogger so I feel like I need to take it super slow, probably stretch it out over 16-20 weeks to build up to the 30 min run.

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

Old 06-15-2008, 01:39 PM

The human body is an amazing thing...I just did the first run of week four and I was so nervous..I thought I was going to die...but I just got out there and did it and omg...3 minutes is a piece of cake now...5 wasn't even that hard.

It's been 3 weeks people..only 3 weeks. Wow.

Anyway...you can do whatever you want...go for it!

Cheers
Carolyn
Old 06-15-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allgirls View Post
The human body is an amazing thing...I just did the first run of week four and I was so nervous..I thought I was going to die...but I just got out there and did it and omg...3 minutes is a piece of cake now...5 wasn't even that hard.

It's been 3 weeks people..only 3 weeks. Wow.

Anyway...you can do whatever you want...go for it!

Cheers
Carolyn
That's so great to hear! I'm starting Week 4 on Tues, and I'm also really nervous. I was thinking about adding a week of 3 min jog/3 min walk to prepare for Wk 4, but maybe I'll follow your lead. IDK, I'm such a chicken.

Good luck everyone. We can do it!

dust.gifloving magick mama to DD(7) flower.gif and DS (5) Bolt.gifLife partner DP blueman.gif  earth.gif )0( treehugger.gif
Old 06-15-2008, 06:56 PM

I am starting Week 4 tomorrow. Yikes.

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
Old 06-16-2008, 02:53 PM

Just go for it! If you can do week 3 three times you are ready to move on to week 4! I didn't believe it! Go ahead..trust the process!
Old 06-17-2008, 11:49 PM

My second run of week 4 is done! One more and it's on to the next one! It was lightly raining and getting dark and it was awesome...The last minute I just gave it, leaping over puddles and then I didn't want to stop when it was over so I just ran slowly down to a walk for an extra minute.

How is everybody doing?
Old 06-21-2008, 11:13 PM

me again...week 4 done
Old 07-05-2008, 12:52 AM

I checked out the suggested podcasts on the C25K site and wasn't too thrilled with them.. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Starting week 3 on Monday. Have been doing it with 2 coworkers. Feeling great.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allgirls View Post
me again...week 4 done
Well I haven't run since. Going today. Going to repeat week 4. My babysitter is my older daughter and she's gone for the next 5 weeks. I have a sitter lined up for next week and dh is home now so I'm going today again.

I can't wait!

User Tag List