Couch to 5k: Who's in? - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-07-2007, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter
bec

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Meh. The running didn't happen today. But, I did spend hours and hours in my garden, squatting, pulling, weeding, planting, digging, etc. So, I got some stuff in, at least. I'll just run 3 days this week instead of the 4 that I've been doing for the last few weeks. No biggee.

Way to go on getting through the first week 2 workout!

Definitely get some new shoes, and make sure you have decent socks! I have had some trouble with socks (and am still on the search for the perfect sock). You don't want to tear up your feet just as you are starting to get into a rhythm!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2007, 12:00 PM

question:

for those of you who are running at least a mile, how fast do you run it? C25K assumes you're running a 10-min mile. I'm somewhere between 11-12 min depending on how good i'm feeling and whether or not i'm pushing a jogging stroller.

i'm sorta stuck at week 6 because of the huge jump from running 10 min to running 25 minutes! i'm actually running 13 min, walking 2, running another 7-10. there are some hills in our neighborhood and it's hard for me to run up those hills.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyNewMama View Post
SunCB/LM - not sure what to call you! Anyhow, yah for getting out there! I don't know how you women do it who are pushing strollers while hitting these workouts...that's a workout and a half, if not more!!! You go!
HappyNewMama~

Funny that you do not know what to call me. My name is Lisa Marie (LM). Sun is bc I use to be a lifeguard and always so happy. Plus, when I met DH he started calling me his SunShine. THe CB stands for Carebear. A male friend used that as a nick for me bc I am 6' tall and 180 lbs pre-baby weight (I am a big woman he says in a good way) and have such a caring heart. Does that help you decide what to call me?

On to running...I did Day 2 today. We had a rough day Monday (got up at 0730 which is LATE by our standards). Only 1 day left of the program for me. Today while running I was thinking I cannot wait for the ATM to be over with so I can stop running. I really do not enjoy running. I like lifting weights and other fitness activities but just have never been a runner and doubt I will ever feel like I am a runner. Only 5 more months and it can be done and over with!!!!

~Lisa Marie~ Married 08/03, Mama to 2 Fall Princes '04 :, '06 CBAC & :
Late May '09 Princess VBA2C success :
Old 05-08-2007, 01:48 PM

I did week 4 day 1 today. The 5 min runs wern't as bad as I thought!
Old 05-08-2007, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
bec

Aprildawn - think of it as two programs. One is for time (30 minutes), and the other is for distance (5k). You're doing great!

Old 05-08-2007, 08:01 PM

Aprildawn- ITA- I too am nowhere in the 10 min-mile range-that is some seriously fast running!!!
I have done my best 3 miles in 34 minutes- most days it is closer to 35-36.
I am working on running (jogging really) that last mile non-stop. I got the 2 miles down so I am doing my sprint/walk for the third but I feel close to ready to push to do 2.5 miles before I stop and do the walk/sprint thing.
AMAZING........I know this is redundant but I cannot believe I am where I am- jogging .5 of a mile was a stretch in the not so distant past!!!!!!!!
Keep with it mamas-I hope to become a lifelong runner.
OT-does anyone else do any other sports? I really started running because I signed up to play soccer in a womens league and last fall I got my a$$ kicked because I was soo out of shape so this winter/early spring, I started running and working out like mad. Alot of the women I play against are VERY young- maybe late 20's at the oldest (I am almost 37) and they were running circles around me. It has been awesome to hear my teammates tell me how great I am playing now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Speaking of soccer- my dd has practice so I am outta here-
love2all-
maria
Old 05-09-2007, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
bec

I ran out of time to write a long message yesterday, but I also wanted to add that I am running the 3.1 miles anywhere from 34:52 (my fastest) to 37:41 (slowest, but I had the jog stroller, too. That's between an 11:15 minute mile and a 12:20 minute mile. I'll get faster the longer I run. And if I don't, that's fine too. I'm out running. That's what's counting for me!

Old 05-09-2007, 09:53 AM

After an almost 2 week break (my folks were here, dh sick and/or tired) I started week 6 over again yesterday. I ran outside and could feel it a little in my knee, but I kept on going and am glad I did it!

Good luck to all of you that are in the first few weeks! You can do it!
Old 05-09-2007, 02:05 PM

I love all of the encouragement on this thread!

I bought new shoes yesterday! I love them so much!

I did wk2 workout 2 today. I am worried about wk3. Jog for 3 min? I think I may die. I might do another week of week2 before moving on to 3.

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

Old 05-09-2007, 02:33 PM

Hey Aurora -- give week 3 a try. I know it sounds impossible but many of us are proof you really can do it! Trust the program. . .
Old 05-09-2007, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMel View Post
Trust the program. . .
This is like my mantra right now...I can't believe I'm out and running as it is & that I'll be able to make it through a 5k at the end, but I am trusting the program & I know that if I do that, I will be able to run a 5k by the end...even if it takes me an hour to do so!

On that note, I found a 5k to run the day after my program ends...has anyone signed up for an event to help them stick to the schedule/program? I'm thinking of signing up for this just for the extra incentive.

LM- thanks for the explanation!! I'm a fellow tall person, I am 5'11" never quite made it to 6 feet, unfortunately. I always wanted to be 6'1".

I just finished wk 2 today. Yay!!! Today's run was AWESOME. I felt really strong and fast...I just went with it and gave the workout my all. It felt really great.

Aurora - If I were you I think that I would start wk 3 and then if by the end of the week you are still struggling with the workout then do an extra day of it before moving on. I think of the day1 of each wk as being introduced to the new workout, the day2 of 'trying' the new workout and day3 as 'doing' the workout. You usually feel comfortable with it on that third day & then you get to move on to the next workout introduction. Not sure if that makes sense, but it's how I am thinking about the program at this point. (btw-I'm feeling intimidated by the thought of those longer runs, too, but we can do it. Look at everyone else before us who already has!!!)

I don't have anything to add to the speed conversation. I've just finished wk2 & I run it the timed way, so I really am not sure how far I'm running during each running portion, just that I'm running for 90sec. at a time. I do have a feeling that my pace right now is a LOT faster than it will be once I'm running for longer stretches. The path I run on does have markers every quarter mile, so with the longer running interval I should be able to better gauge how far I'm running next week. Still won't be up to a mile yet though!
Old 05-09-2007, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter
bec

If the truth be told, I really was going on blind faith right through week 5. I didn't really believe that I would be able to do the 20 minutes straight until after I had finished it! Keep the faith!

Old 05-09-2007, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
If the truth be told, I really was going on blind faith right through week 5. I didn't really believe that I would be able to do the 20 minutes straight until after I had finished it! Keep the faith!
That is definitely good for me to hear at this point!
Old 05-10-2007, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
bec

I just kept reading post after post (on their message boards) about how week 5, day 3 was no big deal. People were very nervous and ske[tical going into it, and were surprised and relieved at how doable it was at the end. pretty cool stuff, really.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:58 PM

I made it through Week 1!!!! I start Week 2 on Sunday. So far, it's been easier than I thought it would be, but it's only the first week for me so we shall see if I'm still saying that in about eight weeks.

Thanks for posting about this program - I am so glad that I checked this board as it's not one that I usually visit.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
Old 05-10-2007, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter
bec

Awesome, ferrum!!!

Old 05-10-2007, 11:59 PM

Congrats ferrum!

Thanks for the advice all, I will try week 3 as is.

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

Old 05-11-2007, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
bec

Woohoo! Way to go Aurora! And congrats on your new shoes!

Old 05-11-2007, 10:59 PM

So, I started week 3 today, but I ran (well, jogged) at about half of the pace that I usually do.

Here's why: I took my last exam for the semester today & because I was @ school preparing for that I didn't eat or drink enough--by 4pm when I went out for my run, straight after getting home from school, I had only had a coffee, a breakfast sandwich & 1 glass of water all day. And--I gave blood yesterday afternoon. It was pretty hot out this afternoon so I wanted to make sure to take this workout very easy considering the basic lack of fluids my body was dealing with already. I'm really glad I did because on the 'cool down' walk home, my arms were tingling & I started getting what was surely a 'dehydration headache' soon after. It has since been drowned with water!

Though slow, my run (if you can call it that!) went well, and now I'm looking forward to day 2 & taking it a little faster. I don't think I'll get to run again until at least Monday though. I will be pushing fluids until then!

If I don't get back online in time -- HAPPY MOTHERS' DAY MAMAS!
Old 05-12-2007, 02:44 AM - Thread Starter
bec

There is no shame in running slowly, ladies! Even if you are well fed and hydrated. And when you aren't, you are definitely wise to take it on the easy side.

Speed can always come later. And, as you get stronger, your legs, your muscles, your bones, your heart, you will find yourself getting faster as a natural consequence.

Remember, if you try to push too hard, too soon, you will only end up injuring yourself. And that will really sideline you!

So, nice and easy. You all are doing such an awesome job!

Old 05-12-2007, 12:54 PM

I am dreading doing week 4 day 3 today for some reason...my throat's been sore for about a week now and I have a sinus infection....it's a little chilly out and my elliptical is looking better and better than running today.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by msumomma View Post
I am dreading doing week 4 day 3 today for some reason...my throat's been sore for about a week now and I have a sinus infection....it's a little chilly out and my elliptical is looking better and better than running today.
So do the week 4, day 3 workout on the elliptical!

I hope you feel better soon! I've been having some allergy issues lately.

Old 05-12-2007, 06:04 PM

I got out there and did it! woo hoo LOL

My mother's day gift to myself tomorrow is the day off!
Old 05-12-2007, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
bec

Quote:
I got out there and did it! woo hoo LOL

My mother's day gift to myself tomorrow is the day off!
I'm so proud of you!: You rock! Enjoy your day off!

Old 05-14-2007, 10:36 PM

Woohoo! I finally finished week 6 today (er, I think I've been on it for 4 weeks now). I ran my 25 minutes straight with no problems and even ran fast for the last minute. To help my aching knees (from running on the sidewalks) I switched to the pavement and it definitely helped.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:32 PM

W5D1 today...I am so scared about the 20 min run this week!
Old 05-16-2007, 01:09 AM

I'm on board too - W2D2 tomorrow. I spent about 3 weeks on week 1, due to a terrible cold and travel, but now I'm committed to moving forward... W2D1 wasn't terrible, but my speed definitely suffered. Fingers crossed that tomorrow goes better.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
bec

Quote:
W5D1 today...I am so scared about the 20 min run this week!
Here's what I wrote right after I ran W5D3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
I did it! I did it! I UA violation DID IT!!!

I ran 20 minutes straight! It was just shy of 2 miles, but I feel great!! I can't believe how easy it was! I'm a freaking runner!!! To all of you coming up on Week 5, don't fret and have faith! It isn't as hard as you think it is! They have prepped you well!
You can do it! The program works. You can do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazra View Post
I'm on board too - W2D2 tomorrow. I spent about 3 weeks on week 1, due to a terrible cold and travel, but now I'm committed to moving forward... W2D1 wasn't terrible, but my speed definitely suffered. Fingers crossed that tomorrow goes better.
Don't worry about speed. It will come in time. You ladies are doing great!

Old 05-16-2007, 12:52 PM

FINISHED!!!!

I finally completed my last Wk 9 Run though I was doing time not miles so I still have to get to 3 miles. I had to take a few days off plus DH needed me home earlier then how long it would take for me to do the warm up, run, cool down, and stretch so I lifted. I felt a bit better about running today but maybe that is bc I was outside. I also was thinking that I am teaching our sons it is important to excerise (I was pushing the jogger with DS2 in it). Still trying to figure out if I will actually make it 10 miles though. I know I can walk if I need to but I really wanted to run the entire thing. Still got time though.

Looks like everyone is doing good from briefly skimming the thread! Keep up the good work!

~Lisa Marie~ Married 08/03, Mama to 2 Fall Princes '04 :, '06 CBAC & :
Late May '09 Princess VBA2C success :
Old 05-16-2007, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
bec

Awesome, LM! It took me a few weeks of running at 30 minutes, before I attempted to do the mileage. I'm now running the 3.1 miles anywhere from 32 minutes to 38 minutes, depending on the day, if I'm pushing the jog stroller, the phase of the moon, etc. I'm wanting to start adding some mileage, though. I think I'm ready.

User Tag List