Couch to 5k: Who's in? - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-24-2007, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Week 6, Day 3 done today! Got it done before the long holiday weekend, we're going camping. Cannot believe I just ran for 25 mins straight! And I kinda sprinted for the last minute, too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2007, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I hope no one minds if I hop on. I did a similar program last yr and ran/walked in Fargo's 5k. Fell off the treadmill so to speak, and didn't do anything for 7 mths but got going again in Dec/Jan and ran my first half marathon on Sat. Pretty slow time, but I ran the whole thing and that's what I was aiming for. I'm hoping my times will speed up as I lose weight. I've lost a solid 10lbs, but keep fluctuating between 166.2-171 or so. Finally realised that DH and I (and possibly kids) have some food issues we have to work out; food allergies/intolerances in his case, food sensitivities/addictions in my case. Causes fatigue and depression for him (he hasn't gained more than 5 lbs since high school, doesn't really seem fair), fatigue and inability to lose weight for me. Running took care of my depression, hopefully finding the foods and eliminating them will take care of my weight. Sorry about jumping in like this, but it was really nice to find a site for people just getting into the swing of things like me.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:04 PM

subbing
Old 05-24-2007, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by jljeppson View Post
I hope no one minds if I hop on. Running took care of my depression,
You are absolutely welcome! When I was starting out, I was feeling under a lot of stress, and really feeling depressed. Maybe it was PPD, or maybe it was SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder), I really don't know. It was never bad enough to seek outside help. But, I have definitely found the running to be the cure for it!

Since I started running on February 23rd, I have lost 15 pounds. But, I have also lost 2 pants sizes. And my legs, hips and butt have gained tons of muscle, tone and shape. I am actually liking the way my butt looks these days! I still have about 20 pounds to go before I'm at my goal weight, but I'm just plugging away at it. I figure, I have my entire life.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 05-24-2007, 08:05 PM

I haven't lost any pants sizes since due to my food stuff, I can't lose weight around my middle (major tire), but I have definitely slimmed down my legs and butt. In those areas I've definitely lost weight and gained muscle tone (my DH loves it). All I have to do is figure out my food problems and the rest should melt off pretty quickly. EXCEPT, that I am TTC right now so any weight loss won't be as much as it would normally have been. No biggie, just knowing that I have the problem figured out and have the knowledge I need to take care of it for good after this baby is born is a huge improvement.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:08 PM

I finished Week 3 today! I may need to repeat it next week, but I'm still going to give Week 4 a try on Sunday and see how I do.

Keep up the good work eveyone and welcome to all the new people!

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
Old 05-25-2007, 02:18 PM

Welcome to the newbies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrum97 View Post
I finished Week 3 today! I may need to repeat it next week, but I'm still going to give Week 4 a try on Sunday and see how I do.
Yay! I finished week 3 today too. I actually repeated it so I went through it twice. Really, the first week I couldn't quite finish the last 3 min. I can barely do it now. I am going to try out week 4 and see how it goes too. I might end up doing a couple more days of week 3. I LOVE this program because I can do what I need to.

At first I was pretty discouraged at repeating a week but then I realized that a few weeks ago I was doing nothing and now look at me! : Look at all of us! :

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

Old 05-25-2007, 03:21 PM

That's pretty much what I've been telling myself. Last marathon I didn't even run the full 5k, I speed walked half of it, and this yr I RAN the full distance of the half marathon. Not very fast, but I ran the whole thing. John and I are already planning on running a local 10k in July, and that is amazing to me that I would ever be enjoying running, let alone looking forward to doing more of it. One step at a time ladies!
Old 05-25-2007, 10:43 PM

Week 3 done. Yay! It actually turned out to be a good week for me, for some reason. Hard, sure, but I feel like it's starting to get easier to tackle the new difficulty each week. Let's see what week 4 does to me.

have a great weekend, all! Go, us!
Old 05-25-2007, 11:11 PM

Hey Mamas,

Welcome to all of you guys just joining! It is an awesome program -- you will be a runner in no time.

I finished up week 8 today. It's been hot here (80s) and I had a hard time running earlier in the week. Today it rained and cooled off to mid 70s and it was much easier. Anyone have any tips for running in the heat? I'm hydrated so that's not a problem.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter
bec

hey, hey! On to graduation week for you!!!

I have no ideas about the heat. I have a tough time with it too. Maybe run in the early morning?: Or, you could try stuffing a cool, damp rag around the back of your neck? Or, you can grin and bear it until you get used to it?

Old 05-27-2007, 12:32 PM

I had a feeling there'd be a thread for this here. I just finished W2.

One day, I wound up walking more like 20 minutes at first and it was much easier to do the running!

I only have 10-20 pounds that I'd like to lose -- about 3 down so far. It feels so good to be running again that the weight is not my primary focus, though.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:57 PM

Well, I tried Week 4 Day 1 today and didn't succeed. I couldn't even finish the first run. Before I started, I thought about waiting one more day and shifting my running days this week because I am still sore from Friday. My daughter went to a birthday party at one of those places with giant inflatables and I participated as well and I'm still sore from that. I think I will repeat Week 3 and start Week 4 next week.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
Old 05-27-2007, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklefairy View Post
I had a feeling there'd be a thread for this here. I just finished W2.

One day, I wound up walking more like 20 minutes at first and it was much easier to do the running!

I only have 10-20 pounds that I'd like to lose -- about 3 down so far. It feels so good to be running again that the weight is not my primary focus, though.
Welcome! Yeah, a longer warmup can definitely help! Take what you need! And exercise has been my primary focus, not the weight loss. I had already lost a lot before I started running, so the running is just one more facet of the healthy, high activity lifestyle that I'm living, now. I'm running because it feels better to run than not to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrum97 View Post
Well, I tried Week 4 Day 1 today and didn't succeed. I couldn't even finish the first run. Before I started, I thought about waiting one more day and shifting my running days this week because I am still sore from Friday. My daughter went to a birthday party at one of those places with giant inflatables and I participated as well and I'm still sore from that. I think I will repeat Week 3 and start Week 4 next week.
I think you are doing great! And realizing that you need a little more time in week three is great. It shows you are listening to your body. This awareness will ensure your success in the long run!

Old 05-29-2007, 10:42 PM

OK so I am finally ready to do my first run today. I am really nervous. Its quite warm today so I'm waiting to do it later this evening when it cools down. I am going to do a walk down to a local park with a track, so that will be my warm up. Then I'll stretch and start the actual thing. Then, I will stretch again and then walk home again. I think it's 8 blocks to the park so that should be a good warm up/cool down. I downloaded the Couch to 5k audio program and I'm listening through it now so I know what to expect. I hope it goes well!

jog.gif:bikenew.gif// knit.gif:reading.gif:notes2.gif // cat.gif:cat.gif 

Our precious baby girl is coming to turn our world upside down in January 2014!

Old 05-30-2007, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayolaab View Post
OK so I am finally ready to do my first run today. I am really nervous. Its quite warm today so I'm waiting to do it later this evening when it cools down. I am going to do a walk down to a local park with a track, so that will be my warm up. Then I'll stretch and start the actual thing. Then, I will stretch again and then walk home again. I think it's 8 blocks to the park so that should be a good warm up/cool down. I downloaded the Couch to 5k audio program and I'm listening through it now so I know what to expect. I hope it goes well!
Go! Go! Go! Run! Have fun! You rock for starting!

Old 05-30-2007, 01:00 AM

Have a great run, crayolaab!

I did W4D1 yesterday, to great success! 5 minutes feels like a lot longer (at one point I was *sure* I had missed the cue on the podcast, but I decided to keep going), but it wasn't impossible. And, bonus for me - Instead of running in the morning like usual, I ran right before sunset, by myself. My run took me to the forest near our house and the run was just gorgeous. On my cooldown, as I rounded the corner toward home, the light was all golden and intense, and a breeze brought sea air washing over me. Best. Run. Yet.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:14 AM

Good luck!
Old 05-30-2007, 02:32 AM

I did it!!!
: : :

OK so I probably went overboard on the smileys but I am very proud of myself. I even managed to time it so that I ended up very close to home when the podcast ended.

I definitely did more of a jog than a run - I'm not really sure I know the difference. I will work on that. It felt good. Now I'm really thirsty.

One question though: my shorts were riding up between my legs the whole darn time. Any suggestions on style/cut/fabric/brand of shorts that won't do this??

My next run is scheduled for Thursday. I hope I can keep this up!!

Old 05-30-2007, 10:18 AM

Hey all-
it has been a while and my running has been off and on but back on the on part now!!!!!
I am honestly a better mother when I get some time to myself and can get in exersize- the weight loss is just icing on the top!!!
Yesterday I did 3.1 miles just as the timer was changing to 33 minutes!!!! finally finally getting faster!! I am still only doing about 2 miles jogging and then 1.1 mile of walk/sprint but it sure feels good.... i aspire to doing the whole 3.1 miles non-stop and looking back I know I will succeed at this too- it is a matter of time!!
Keep running mamas!!!!

GO US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-30-2007, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
bec

Quote:
I did it!!!
: : :

OK so I probably went overboard on the smileys but I am very proud of myself. I even managed to time it so that I ended up very close to home when the podcast ended.

I definitely did more of a jog than a run - I'm not really sure I know the difference. I will work on that. It felt good. Now I'm really thirsty.

One question though: my shorts were riding up between my legs the whole darn time. Any suggestions on style/cut/fabric/brand of shorts that won't do this??

My next run is scheduled for Thursday. I hope I can keep this up!!
Woohoo!!! I knew you could do it!

This is what I have heard about the Jogging/running definition. Humans have two gaits. Walking, where one foot is always on the ground. The other gait where both feet are off the ground (no matter how briefly) is what is referred to as running or jogging. They are synonyms. If you weren't walking, you were doing the other one.

Right now, DON't WORRY ABOUT SPEED. Put it out of your mind. Think of this as 2 programs. One is for distance (3.1 miles), and the other is for time (30 minutes). At the end of 9 weeks, you are NOT expected to run under 10 minutes/mile for 3.1 miles. You really aren't. You are expected to be able to run either 3.1 miles (in whatever amount of time it takes you), or you will be able to run 30 minutes. I started with the 30 minutes. I think it was about 3 weeks after I graduated that I was able to actually do the 3.1 miles.

Running slow is good. It will keep you uninjured, it will help you build up your muscles and bones, it will help you build up your cardiovascular.

As far as shorts, I wear a tight fitting spandex. It holds all the jiggling stuff together, and doesn't ride up.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
Woohoo!!! I knew you could do it!

This is what I have heard about the Jogging/running definition. Humans have two gaits. Walking, where one foot is always on the ground. The other gait where both feet are off the ground (no matter how briefly) is what is referred to as running or jogging. They are synonyms. If you weren't walking, you were doing the other one.

Right now, DON't WORRY ABOUT SPEED. Put it out of your mind. Think of this as 2 programs. One is for distance (3.1 miles), and the other is for time (30 minutes). At the end of 9 weeks, you are NOT expected to run under 10 minutes/mile for 3.1 miles. You really aren't. You are expected to be able to run either 3.1 miles (in whatever amount of time it takes you), or you will be able to run 30 minutes. I started with the 30 minutes. I think it was about 3 weeks after I graduated that I was able to actually do the 3.1 miles.

Running slow is good. It will keep you uninjured, it will help you build up your muscles and bones, it will help you build up your cardiovascular.

As far as shorts, I wear a tight fitting spandex. It holds all the jiggling stuff together, and doesn't ride up.
Thanks, that helps. On my last 60-second run I did try to take nice long strides.. thinking maybe that was the difference between jogging/running. But either way I did it I have no idea how far I went. I was going to go to the track at a local park but then decided to just go around our complex and the local neighborhood. I found another park just on the other side of the neighborhood that I might investigate further - it looks like it has some trails that might be nicer to jog on than pavement. I'm doing the timed version with the podcasts from Mr Ullrey ( i think that's his name ) so I will try not to think about how far I've gone until later!

I'll have to look for some spandex I guess. Do they feel warmer than loose shorts? I don't tolerate heat well so I'm also looking for some non-cotton tshirts that will be more comfortable as it gets hotter this summer.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
bec

If you get the shorts that are made of the wicking material, I have not noticed that they are hotter than regular shorts. For me, it is non-negotiable. I need the support!

Also, as far as distance, don't worry about it too much, but if you are really wanting to know how far you travelled, you could try MapMyRun.com. It has mapping software, using Google maps to figure it out.

Old 05-30-2007, 04:52 PM

I got thru W7D2 today. It was a tough run, but I did it.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:16 AM

whew. W4D2 done.

I went at 11am today, in my crazy-hilly neighborhood, and knew immediately that I should have just waited until dh got home and I could run in the evening without dd and the stroller. I do not like the heat! My first 5 minute run, I was a total baby and complained internally the whole time. However, the rest of the running went much better, as I realized that crabbiness was only making it harder, of course.

The definition of running helps me feel loads better, bec!

Oh, on the shorts front, I cycle between some cotton yoga-type capris and a pair of Brooks running shorts. The shorts ride up unless I situate them just right on my waist, so I'm going to look into other options, too.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:28 AM

Congratulations, msumommy and Lazra! Way to go!! I am very intimidated by those workouts right now but hopefully I will be ready by the time I get there

Lazra, I don't do well in the heat, either. I think I am going to be running late evenings through the summer. I can't imagine running at midday with a baby in a jogger! Good for you!!

Bec, that website is great. I put part of my run last night and it was .99 miles. The other part was two loops around our condo complex, which isn't shown on Google maps so I left that out. I did drive around the complex today and it was about .3 miles, so that's another .6 miles for a total of about 1.6 miles (plus maybe a little bit more because when I ran around the complex I went in and out of the little parking inlets to make it longer). I'm pleasantly surprised

Old 05-31-2007, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by msumomma View Post
I got thru W7D2 today. It was a tough run, but I did it.
I found W7 to be the hardest week of the program. Congrats on getting through Day 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazra View Post
whew. W4D2 done.
Awesome! I try to stay away from cotton shorts because of sweat and the fact that it doesn't get wicked away with cotton.

Quote:
Congratulations, msumommy and Lazra! Way to go!! I am very intimidated by those workouts right now but hopefully I will be ready by the time I get there
Don't be intimidated by the later workouts. By the time you get to them, you really are ready. I was not sure I would be able to do the 20 minute run until after I had done it. It was a leap of faith, and it worked! It will be the same with you too!

Old 06-01-2007, 09:18 AM

oh! Can I join?

I'm scared to go outside with the mosquitoes though.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:27 AM

can i just jump in? i need a way to unwind in the evenings after dd3 goes to bed (i'm home all day with my 13mo and 3 1/2mo, and running a business) that doesn't involve ice cream.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
Old 06-01-2007, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
bec

Welcome Fireant and Sehbub!!!

Jump right in!

Fireant, you could always outrun the skeeters!:

User Tag List