Couch to 5k: Who's in? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 687 Old 03-04-2007, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
bec

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone interested in doing the Couch To 5K running program with me? http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I'm on week 2 and I'm feeling great!

So, who's with me?

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#2 of 687 Old 03-04-2007, 06:38 PM

I'm sitting at my computer thinking that I really need to get out and walk. Interesting timing.

I looked at the program, and I'm unsure/anxious about the amount of jogging after wo little time. But, I did tell DH last week that I really want to learn how to run. Damn. I have really created this, haven't I. Ugh. Okay, I'm in. I will go right now and set the rice on (for dinner in 30 minutes!), grab my oldest and head out the door.

I'm in.
#3 of 687 Old 03-04-2007, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter
bec

Awesome, Kerry! Have a great walk/run!!!! Remember, you can take it slow. If running 60 seconds at a stretch is too much, do 30 seconds, and build up from there!

#4 of 687 Old 03-04-2007, 07:07 PM

I'm back. Still having trouble breathing...just walked in the door.

We walked really fast for 5 minutes, then jogged for 60 seconds, thought I might die. Walked for 90, felt slightly improved, but wanted to die when it was time to run again. Ran for 60, walked for 90, ran for 55, walked for 60, ran for 40, we were home so I just walked back and forth until I felt like I could go in. So I didn't do the whole thing, but it's more than I have done in years, and I RAN people! I RAN! I jogged. I am a runner! Woo Hoo!

I feel great. Thank you so much for the motivation!

This is awesome!
#5 of 687 Old 03-04-2007, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter
bec

What a great start!

#6 of 687 Old 03-04-2007, 10:57 PM

I did this last year, and finished the program! It really is pretty amazing. You can do it!

Maybe I should do it again this year...
#7 of 687 Old 03-04-2007, 10:58 PM

Maybe...I tried it before but didn't stick with it.
I'm tempted to try again.

I don't like looking at my watch all the time to know when to walk or when to run. I need a watch that I can set to beep or something....
#8 of 687 Old 03-04-2007, 11:27 PM

I brought my son with me to keep time. I thought he could make his watch beep. He kept trying to explain to me that it's a stop watch, not a timer. Whatever kid, just make it beep! Then I had to tell him that his watch was off because I was counting in my head and got to 60 much quicker than he did, but for some reason he was faster than I on the 90 minute portion. hmm?

I was so excited and kept telling my husband how great this is going to be and how much I want him to do the program with me. He reminded me that last year he was jogging everyday and begging me to go with him. He also said I basically told him to shut up about the jogging already.: (in a nice way of course! )

Give it a shot. The second time I had to run was easier than the first, and the third even easier. It was neat to feel progress so quick. I can't wait to go out again. Did I just say that?
#9 of 687 Old 03-05-2007, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter
bec

It is exciting! I'm a little nervous about getting to the third workout in week 3. That's the one where you run 20 minutes straight. But, I figure I'll be ready for it when I get there.

I got DH to do day one today, and I'm so excited!

There's a 5k local run that my town sponsors every 4th of July. It's been my goal to run in it for a few years. I'm finally going to do it!

#10 of 687 Old 03-05-2007, 01:17 AM

Ok - I'm like 40lbs over my ideal weight right now (can I call it baby weight when he's already over 2yo!?), I think I might be able to do this, but maybe slower, like bec says. I have Montessori and Me w/ds at 9:30, need to leave at 9. So unlikely we'll get to it before that...but I WILL try. How does this work if I try it on the treadmill? 3mph is walking and 4mph is jogging? Whaddya think?

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
#11 of 687 Old 03-05-2007, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
bec

That's how I started. I'm doing it on a treadmill, too. Just do what is comfortable and gets you moving at first. 3 and 4 seems good to me! Increasing speed can come much later!

#12 of 687 Old 03-05-2007, 12:34 PM

I'm in. I started yesterday, but it was more like 30 second jog/2minute walk, so a lot slower than the actual program. I was dead after, but it's a start, and I know it'll get better!
#13 of 687 Old 03-05-2007, 03:06 PM

The first time I tried I was not working out at all and now I've found a gym I love and I walk fast on the treadmill for 30 min. then I do an hour long toning class 2x/week and on a 3rd day I do the treadmill and then take my kids to swim in their pool. So in other words, I'm a lot more active now so maybe that would help me...
Do you go out everyday??
I have ot re-read the program I forget what they say on that.

This is a good time of year to jump inot running too with the warm weather coming.
#14 of 687 Old 03-05-2007, 03:29 PM

I'm in I started this program a while ago, and I got to about week 5 (or whenever is right before the 20 minute jog). It felt really good--I was much more energetic. Then, I got the cold from hell that just won't go away. I'm going to get back to it this week, though!
#15 of 687 Old 03-05-2007, 03:59 PM

Wow! This sounds like fun! I'm in! I'm starting tonight!

Tabitha, married to my best friend Steven - Mama to 6 little ones and another on the way!
#16 of 687 Old 03-05-2007, 04:18 PM

Here is a podcast for the C25K. Read the paragraph and click the appropriate link. YOu don't need a timer if you have an mp3 player
#17 of 687 Old 03-05-2007, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary-Beth View Post
The first time I tried I was not working out at all and now I've found a gym I love and I walk fast on the treadmill for 30 min. then I do an hour long toning class 2x/week and on a 3rd day I do the treadmill and then take my kids to swim in their pool. So in other words, I'm a lot more active now so maybe that would help me...
Do you go out everyday??
I have ot re-read the program I forget what they say on that.

This is a good time of year to jump inot running too with the warm weather coming.
It's 3 times a week. I've been doing it on my treadmill, but will get outside when the weather is better.

#18 of 687 Old 03-05-2007, 07:49 PM

I started this about 3.5 weeks ago- I am up to moving for 2.6 miles non-stop!!!
Most was a jog but the last 10 min. I do a walk one min, sprint hard 1 min. I play in an outdoor womens soccer league and need to know that i can get to the ball when needed.
I want to run in a breast-cancer 5k in the fall- to honor my mother a 2x bc survior-lost both breasts 1 at a time 10 years apart...

good luck running and walking and moving mamas--I feel awesome and strong!!
#19 of 687 Old 03-06-2007, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinSeeds View Post
Here is a podcast for the C25K. Read the paragraph and click the appropriate link. YOu don't need a timer if you have an mp3 player
I don't understand how I won't need a timer if I use the podcast. Please, explain.

Thanks
JM
#20 of 687 Old 03-06-2007, 04:23 AM

If you have an mp3 player you can download the podcast. In the podcast there is music and someone telling you when to start and stop running. He has made one for every week. So if you are on week 1, he tells you to start running and to stop 60 seconds later and then he tells you when the 90 seconds of walking are up. It's all set to music.
#21 of 687 Old 03-09-2007, 11:42 PM

How is everyone doing? I ran for the first time tonight ! Although... I, um... had a little bit of a, um,.... issue. I peed myself With every step I ran :

: NOT FUNNY!!!

Tabitha, married to my best friend Steven - Mama to 6 little ones and another on the way!
#22 of 687 Old 03-09-2007, 11:49 PM

That's why I stopped (attempting to do) doing sit-ups. I don't have that problem anymore thank goodness!

I didn't want to admit this but I haven't run again this week. It has been WAAAAY to cold to even walk to the car! And I was going to run tonight but it was such a busy day and we didn't get home until late....

Tomorrow for sure! All my kids are excited about this too. They all want to run with me. I am going to let them, but I will admit in some ways it defeats my purpose! :

It might feel like they are chasing me!
#23 of 687 Old 03-10-2007, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
bec

Sorry about the peeing thing! I always make sure to go a couple of times right before I run. Sometimes I stop after a few minutes re-empty. Maybe wear a panty-liner? Oh, and practice those kegels!!! You'll notice a difference after a few weeks.

I am about to start week 3! I'm so excited about it! I have been sort of holding myself back a little bit, and am anxious to move ahead. But I am really not wanting to push, and either injure myself or become discouraged. So, I'm being faithful to the program.

Oh, and I broke my plateau!! I have been stuck on 180 for about a month, fluctuating between 180.4 and 180.6. It's been bugging me, but I'm finally down to 178.8!!! I'm sure I've been gaining some muscle in the last couple of weeks, but I'm glad to see the numbers starting to go down again! WOOHOO!!!

Bec

#24 of 687 Old 03-10-2007, 12:44 PM

Bec, that is awesome! Congrats! You must feel so great!

I took my duaghter out for a run today. I didn't have anything to eat or drink (besides coffee) and I was so dehydrated after the first run I thought that I might die. I made it through the second set before I had to walk home for water. My husband said I looked like death. Nice. Honestly, I felt like death. While I was walking home I was talking gently to my body about how this was for it's benifit but it just felt cruel. Ugh. I was feeling very discouraged. But I really like my new "jogging suit" and running shoes so I will have to put them to good use!
#25 of 687 Old 03-10-2007, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
Bec, that is awesome! Congrats! You must feel so great!

I took my duaghter out for a run today. I didn't have anything to eat or drink (besides coffee) and I was so dehydrated after the first run I thought that I might die. I made it through the second set before I had to walk home for water. My husband said I looked like death. Nice. Honestly, I felt like death. While I was walking home I was talking gently to my body about how this was for it's benifit but it just felt cruel. Ugh. I was feeling very discouraged. But I really like my new "jogging suit" and running shoes so I will have to put them to good use!
Sorry it was so hard for you, today. Getting dehydrated is never a good thing. Neither is running on an empty stomach. You should have at least a light breakfast. And water is crucial for your muscles to work properly. Try again in a couple of days!

Bec

#26 of 687 Old 03-12-2007, 11:56 AM

I'm in! So glad I found this I just started yesterday with W1D1 and did pretty good considering.

I'm so excited about this

I actually started a 2nd blog to help me with keep a log... http://c25k.blogspot.com/
#27 of 687 Old 03-13-2007, 09:07 PM

I'm thinking about joining too. Back in the day, I used to run often but haven't done so in ages. This year we've started following the Eat to Live program and I think this is the next step. I've now lost close to 60 lbs since having dd in 06 but I still have a bunch of pudge I would like to go away.
#28 of 687 Old 03-14-2007, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
bec

I've got a run day coming up tomorrow, and can't wait. I went for a two mile walk, yesterday, because the weather was so nice (it got up to 73 here!). But, I have to say, I'm starting to get a little nervous about the end of week 5 run. Will I really be ready to run for 20 minutes, straight?

#29 of 687 Old 03-14-2007, 12:13 PM

I did w1d2 today and it felt great!
#30 of 687 Old 03-14-2007, 10:26 PM

I did my first run tonight! I LOVE the podcast. I had come across the cto5k plan before but had been put off by the whole timing thing (man, I must be lazy!) and this was just the ticket. If you have a MP3 player by all means download the podcast.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page