The "If March comes in like a lion it goes out like a lamb" go dingo goRunning thread - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 574 Old 03-19-2007, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi and welcome everyone to the running moms thread.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#2 of 574 Old 03-19-2007, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I'll try over here:

March Break is over and the kids are back at school......... but if this weather had turned up two hours earlier it would have been another snow day I drove the kids to school this morning and then stopped at the grocery store - and the normal 5 miniue drive home took nearly 20 - slippery road, white outs, the usual. I hope it is only today.

The GIO soap hasn't arrived yet but just knowing that it is coming seems to be working for me. No running yet for me, but definitely doing some cross-training
#3 of 574 Old 03-19-2007, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Can we do a question-related theme for the start?
name
do you run alone?
what are you training for?
if you could run anyplace/distance/time what would it be?

I'm kristin.

I generally run by myself with my kids in the jogger, occasionally on the treadmill.

I'm not training for anything, but darn it need to get out there. Whenever Leah nurses she grabs a big handful of my tummy.

I would run about 5 km either in the sand in the Outer Banks, NC or along one of the trails here in Duluth at dawn.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#4 of 574 Old 03-19-2007, 11:04 AM

If you have something to add, just let me know. PM-ing is probably the best way to assure that I see it, but posting is OK too.

modmom and DH - Shamrock Shuffle 8K - March 25
grnmtnmama, missbliss - Great Bay Half - April 1
Runningmommy - 500 Festival Training Series 15K - April 14
twinsr4me - Boston Marathon - April 16
CherylAnn - Wenatchee Marathon - April 22
moonshine - JFK Runway Run (5K) - April 22
kate~mom - Lehigh Valley Half Marathon - April 29
HBM - 5K - April
mamabeth - half - April (?)
Runningmommy, doctorjen, Balancin1, eksmom - Indy Mini-Marathon (half) - May 5
CherylAnn and family - Pig Jig 5K - May 12
1jooj and cRebRun - Green Bay Marathon - May 20
Schatz - Mad City Half Marathon - May 27
HBM, mamabeth - Peachtree Road Race 10K - July 4 (registration ~ March 18 - fills up fast!)
JayGee - Chicagoland Danskin Women's Triathlon - July 8
Runningmommy, Balancin1 - Chicago Marathon - October 7

The Preggo Dingo List
sally_Z - June
Po6 - late July
Plady - Sept 20

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#5 of 574 Old 03-19-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
name-Paige
do you run alone? Sometimes, but I'm lucky to have Mamabeth and my SIL as running partners sometimes. I prefer to run with a partner most of the time.
what are you training for? 10k in May and the Peachtree Road Race (10k) in July
if you could run anyplace/distance/time what would it be? I really, really want to do the Las Vegas Half Marathon. I also love to run on the beach. I'm not really concerned with times, but I would to be a little faster.

I ran almost 5 miles with Mamabeth last night and it was OK. The last mile (after we went our seperate ways) was tough and I got dizzy. I realized I hadn't had anything to drink all day except a small glass of soy milk in the morning. I really need to work on drinking more. That was kind of scary. No run today and I'm glad b/c I'm pretty sore from the weekend's runs.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#6 of 574 Old 03-19-2007, 11:28 AM

name - Katherine

do you run alone? - Almost always. It didn't used to bother me but now I wish I had a running partner.

what are you training for? - the Indy Mini half marathon on May 5.

if you could run anyplace/distance/time what would it be? - Right now I'd love to be in Williamsburg, VA for a run through CW, especially if it would be about 65 degrees, low humidity, and sunny. Someday I'd like to know what it feels like to do an ultra. If I could run 8 minute miles relatively easily I'd be happy, but that may never happen.

#7 of 574 Old 03-19-2007, 11:34 AM

I'm CherylAnn

I almost always run alone. Since my TM broke, I'm outside all the time now, so childcare is challenging.

I'm training for a Marathon on April 22.

I would love to be in consistently good enough training shape to have a 10 mile LR every week. That way I could jump in to any 10k or half-marathon that comes along. I want to get faster. I figured out yesterday's pace and it was 13:40...way too slow.

Shanti, when does the snow usually go away up where you live?

HBM, Yikes! That's kind of scary. Your distances post-baby are so impressive!

Our snow is almost all gone. It really feels like spring. I got sunburned yesterday and my hair bleached out. I look like a negative with white eyebrows and a red face. We are in first position on the house we made an offer on. But, the sellers want really funky financing, so this morning I'm off to talk to the bank about it. It could be a deal killer. They want almost half of the money down and then they want to carry the contract for the rest. We'll see. I dreamed about this house last night. Even considering how we'd be downsizing and getting into a fixer upper for a lot more money than we pay for rent, I'm excited and hoping it works out.
#8 of 574 Old 03-19-2007, 11:39 AM

name - Mandy

do you run alone? - Preferably.

what are you training for? - hoping to limp through a 1/2 marathon on April 1. Heal up and train for the 18 mile Jay Challenge XC at the end of July and if all goes well a 50k or ultra at the end of September.

if you could run anyplace/distance/time what would it be? - At the moment, a long, leisurely training run in Daley Ranch, Escondido, CA sounds pretty warm, sunny and fun. I'd love to be able to do some long, epic trail runs in the Sierras.

--i'm a bit sore from my epic swim yesterday. have my stuff and may go swim again today. foot is sore, but not a sharp pain. so i think that's a good sign. Abs are done for the day. considering whether or not i can do a sprint triathalon in May. the swimming is the issue for me, but since i was able to swim 100m without 'stopping' (i don't know how to do the flip turns), i'm beginning to imagine that it's a possibility.

alrighty, back to work.
#9 of 574 Old 03-19-2007, 11:41 AM

Be back later with answers.
#10 of 574 Old 03-19-2007, 12:33 PM

what happened to the other thread? did I miss something?

be back later........
#11 of 574 Old 03-19-2007, 12:44 PM

Can I join in? I'm Theresa, newbie running mama. I've been run/walking for a little over a month and I'm defintiely addicted! My first goal is the Race for the Cure 5K on Mother's Day. No time goal, just to actually run the entire thing and not walk at all.

I run alone, but once I get up to speed, I'll probably run occasionally with DH, but he's way ahead of me now (been running forever!)

My long term goal is to be able to do the Marine Corp Marathon in DC; probably not till 2009 though!
#12 of 574 Old 03-19-2007, 12:48 PM

Theresa I've been a fan of your website for a long time. It's fun to meet you here!
#13 of 574 Old 03-19-2007, 12:49 PM

name - Janessa

do you run alone? - Almost always. I get to run once a week with Wendy which is generally the highlight of my week

what are you training for? - nothing at the moment. I'm debating training for a half

if you could run anyplace/distance/time what would it be? - I'm really looking forward to running in Canada this summer well my kids are pampered and spoiled by my parents
#14 of 574 Old 03-19-2007, 12:52 PM

name - Kathleen

do you run alone? - Now - usuallly. Before ds, I usually pushed dd in the jogger. When he's a little bigger, I'll probably be borrowing jgmommo's double jogger and going with both. My "LR" on the weekend is usually alone.

what are you training for? - Ummm to find that place...you know what I mean, the I could run forever feeling. The, I'm so crabby a run is all that will help place. Right now I'm still at the holy crap this sucks and when is it going to feel better place.

if you could run anyplace/distance/time what would it be? - I love trail running and when I was training for the marathon I had this one run that I loved. I would really like to be able to do that again - it was between 11 and 13 miles, almost all of it in the woods. And if I could do a 5K in 22-23 minutes again - that is so far off it's not even funny - but it's a goal. Just like the marathon was a goal.

I ran 30 minutes this morning. It stunk. But mostly because I went into the woods and I chose a trail that was a little too steep and uneven and I had to walk in patches for fear of falling on my keister. But I did it and I did have a glimmer of that good feeling. I need to update my sunshine too...a couple more pounds gone.
#15 of 574 Old 03-19-2007, 12:55 PM

I haven't been posting much, but here I am again. I'm Sue, and I live in West Texas these days.

do you run alone? Yes, although I did get dh to run with me a bit this falll, with ds in the jogger.

what are you training for? Nothing right now, but I'm looking for something to do locally.

if you could run anyplace/distance/time what would it be? I've always wanted to run an ultra

Vegan, mom to : Joe and Josh ::
#16 of 574 Old 03-19-2007, 01:15 PM

hi sue! nice to see ya here!

welcome theresa!

hbm girl! you have got to start drinking, and I don't mean cocktails! now I feel bad that I went on home. I am coming with you next time to make sure no one passes out. scary!

name Beth
do you run alone? only after I have ditched HBM hopefully not as much since she is distance queen these days and we have big plans with mommabelle.... but for everyday runs it's usually just me or me and jogger.

what are you training for? the Peachtree, I guess. I'd like to do some "fast" 5Ks this summer too. but nothing long right now.

if you could run anyplace/distance/time what would it be? Hmmm....probably on my trail that I usually run, about two hours, without worrying about distance. It goes along a stream and there are deer and stuff.

must go fix lunch. I have some bike questions later for you gearheads....
#17 of 574 Old 03-19-2007, 01:23 PM

name - Hope

run alone? - yes, except when I meet up with a friend for a local race; occasionally run with my SIL when I'm visiting them but she's tall and runs all the time and kicks my a$$ so I only run w/her when I'm game for a challenge

training for? - I need to get my keester in gear for a 5 mi run at the end of April (I was all set and then fell off the wagon for almost 3 weeks due to sick family and self) and then planning to do a 1/2 at the end of May

run place/time/distance? - hmmm... I'd like it to be about 70 deg and very little humidity.... I'd like to be comfortable running 7-10 mi ... just running in my area would be fine although I did enjoy running on the beach in Galveston TX when we visited one of my SIL's there a few years ago - I dunno, I'm wishy washy on this one at the moment

Looks like everyone had busy weekends. I took most of Fri off work so dh could go iceboating. This should be the last weekend for it. I spent the rest of the weekend trying to finish a quilt and cleaning my house some. We did go to the lake on Sat and the weather was nice. I'm bummed cus my sewing machine needs attention before I can finish the quilt. I knew it was in need of maintenance but on Sunday it sounded really bad like I might blow up the motor if I kept pushing it. Dh did ask if I wanted a new one but I said not now. I don't really know what features I would want and after I start and finish one more quilt, I won't be doing much sewing for a few years (assuming I get into the grad program).

Sorry for the lack of personals - I did think about y'all over the weekend.
#18 of 574 Old 03-19-2007, 01:28 PM

subbing. Survived 8 miles yesterday whilst thinking of CherylAnn and jooj and Reb. Hope you didn't mind being my virtual running partners. I kept thinking if you could do 18 I could do 8. DrJen, thought of you a lot too. Eks and RM and DrJen, I am wondering if we want to make some plans for the mini? OK, gotta work, back soon!

ps thanks kerc for the new thread, the old one was looooooong...
#19 of 574 Old 03-19-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama View Post
name what are you training for? - Ummm to find that place...you know what I mean, the I could run forever feeling. The, I'm so crabby a run is all that will help place. Right now I'm still at the holy crap this sucks and when is it going to feel better place.
If ever I knew exactly what someone else meant, this is it! I was just asking Mamabeth about it a couple of weeks ago and am starting to turn that corner at 6 months pp. Way to go on the weight loss!

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#20 of 574 Old 03-19-2007, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittin' in the Shade View Post
Can I join in? I'm Theresa, newbie running mama.
...and all the knitters on this thread just made this face: : Welcome Theresa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janessa View Post
do you run alone? - Almost always. I get to run once a week with Wendy which is generally the highlight of my week
It would be the highlight of my week too... jealous...

HBM, drink up, mama! I do the same thing... I'm trying to work on it today.

BBM, congrats on the weight loss!

#21 of 574 Old 03-19-2007, 02:23 PM

:

Name: Callie

Run alone: most of the time for longer runs, shorter runs w/ DD in the jogger

Training for: nothing at the moment (but want to, just don't know what to try next) Just trying to get my mind and body more to the point where running is part of my routine

Ideal run: this is hard, I hadn't really thought about this. running in the desert at sunset comes to mind.

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#22 of 574 Old 03-19-2007, 02:26 PM

Subbing

I'm Jennifer, or Jen

I mostly run alone with little dd in the jogger, or on the treadmill. I'm a weather wimp and run inside most of the winter and spring until it gets above 60F usually. In the summer, I run 3 days a week with the high school cross country group and some other community runners that come out to run with them. I'm friends with the coach, who gives me a little free coaching along the way. (When I say run with, it's more of I see them at the start, and they are there stretching when I finish kind of thing!)

I'm training for the Indy Mini half marathon May 5, which I let Runningmommy and Balancin1 talk me into. After yesterday's 9, I'm wondering how I'm going to do it!

Favorite run: Hmm. I mostly run on roads now, and really enjoy more of a trail setting, but flat is also good. Some of my favorite runs have been on the Illinois and Michigan Canal towpath, or the Prairie Path by my old house - flat, packed gravel, but tree lined and feels like you are sort of secluded. Anytime I see a picture in Runner's World of trail running, I always imagine myself there!

Balancin1 - I think you're right, we need to get planning. Also, now that the weather is less questionable, maybe we can come up with a day to run together? Did you see my dream from the old thread? I was so excited to be living near you (until I woke up and realized I didn't!)
#23 of 574 Old 03-19-2007, 02:29 PM

DrJen~if you can run 9 alone, you can totally do it! I promise!! I agree let's get to planning!
#24 of 574 Old 03-19-2007, 02:29 PM

Oh, one other ideal run: once while visiting my mom, we went to Phoenix and hiked Camelback mountain. It is about an 800 ft gain in elevation if I remember right, at just about 1 mile or a little more. While we were there, there was a whole flock of runners who came and ran up, and then down it! One man passed me twice! I would love to be able to do that! (But on a cool day.)
#25 of 574 Old 03-19-2007, 02:30 PM

totally OT
This has been a rough couple of months for Shiah building from the start of school till the worst in Jan/Feb. What it comes down to is we are pulling her from school. I'm so excited and nervous at the same time. The change in Shiah was so gradual that is only now that we're seeing glimpses of her joy again that is painfully clear how much she was struggling.

Has anyone pulled a child mid year? I'm not sure what we need to do. I'll be contacting her teacher here over the next few days and I'm sure she'll help out but I'm a planner and like to know what I'm talking about. Any advice been there done that would be appreciated.

If we could get some smooth transition vibes it would be wonderful

We spent the morning putting together felt puppets and putting on shows with them Its so thrilling to see Shiah so excited. She can't decide what to do next lol.

This means I may have to put some of my own plans on hold (was working on getting a website and other things going to promote my sewing and dyeing) but I can certainly handle less me time if it means I get my happy sweet enthusiastic girl back.
#26 of 574 Old 03-19-2007, 02:41 PM

name
I'm Kristina

do you run alone?
I usually run alone, either outside or at the YMCA on the track or treadmill. I do run with some people from Triathlon Club on Tuesdays (track workout) and occasionally on Fridays (group run).

what are you training for?
Mainly, the Danskin Women's Sprint Triathlon, but I've also got a couple of 5Ks and a 10K on my schedule as training events.

if you could run anyplace/distance/time what would it be?
I used to run this really pretty 5 mile loop around rural Maine when I was in college. Whenever I think of running, I think about running there . I'd love to do a 1/2 marathon, maybe next summer. And eventually, a half-ironman.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#27 of 574 Old 03-19-2007, 03:44 PM

I'm Roxanne, I almost always run with my K in the running stroller-and on weekends with dh (he usually pushes K then I should be training for something right now, but I am not! I love the half marathon-it is long enough to challenging and have to train for-but doesn't take over your life as the marathon training does (at least for me-I need naps for any run over 14 miles-hard to do with kids!) My ideal run-is trail running-I am so in my element there. Wish I could do more-but until there is a stroller that is designed to jump over logs and slosh through creeks, they will be few and far between All that said-I would still love to do more marathons! Another goal is to get my 5K down. I have been doing distance running for so long-I haven't trained much to really "kick it"-which is so much fun. And no-I will probably never see a sub 21 minute 5k again-those days are over-but I would love to try and see how close I could get! So I think I am going to work on speed this summer and enter a few fun short 5ks and 10ks.
#28 of 574 Old 03-19-2007, 03:50 PM

eksmom-so glad you are going to see your Aunt. I am glad that dh is talking about what is going on with him-that is at least one step in the right direction! I think as long as he keeps talking-you won't slide down that slippery slope again.

drjen-sorry about your run! I have GI issues with AF as well-not fun. I started during a 10K a couple years ago-I was miserable thinking I wasn't going to be able to finish-I kept running past the finish line-into the school to the bathrooms : I agree-if you can do 9 alone-you can definitely do 13.1!!

Theresa-welcome!!

Kerc-how did the weekend go with the house selling?

Janessa-so glad you emailed them-definitely use the free entry!
#29 of 574 Old 03-19-2007, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjen View Post
Oh, one other ideal run: once while visiting my mom, we went to Phoenix and hiked Camelback mountain. It is about an 800 ft gain in elevation if I remember right, at just about 1 mile or a little more. While we were there, there was a whole flock of runners who came and ran up, and then down it! One man passed me twice! I would love to be able to do that! (But on a cool day.)
I see people running up the mountains around here all the time... it is always amazing to me, but I do have to fight the urge to curse them under my breath as I'm huffing and puffing my way to the top w/ DD on my back thinking there is no way in hell I could run up this

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#30 of 574 Old 03-19-2007, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
...and all the knitters on this thread just made this face: : Welcome Theresa!
We love you Theresa. : So glad you're going to run with us!

My name is Monica.

I run alone with mid-to-biggish : and gigantic :, and rarely but sometimes DD in the jogger.

I'm training for LIFE!

If I could run anywhere, I'd stick to the Jordan River Parkway in perfect 60 degree sunny weather, with it deserted of all people and only the birds for company.

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page