Dingos after the Easter Bunny! April Runners' thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 1080 Old 04-06-2007, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I'm thinking of you today reb - I hope it all turns out perfectly. Even if it doesn't, you are still perfectly wonderful

doctorjen - what a great arrangement to be able to run at work! I do take controller meds - Flovent and Singulair. I rarely need to use the rescue inhaler - but it just isn't working for me if I try to increase my heart rate as much as I would like. I have increased the amount of Flovent I use and that helps some. I hate using that stuff because I always have thrush when I use it. yuck. Things have improved from a couple of weeks ago - there was one night when dh was out and I was trying to go to sleep and I thought I heard a bird in the house - I kept hearing this faint squeaky chirping sound every few seconds. It took a few minutes of trying to find where the sound was coming from before I realized it was ME, breathing That was when I called my doc and increased the Flovent. I went fo a long walk this morning and I will try to limit myself to walking for my forward motion for a few weeks and see if that helps. Then I will start all over.

megs - I have had "friend" expereinces like that. It erally hurts. I have since realized that for a long time most of the friends I chose had a lot of common traits that weren't very healthy ones. I have had to do a lot of hard work on how I choose friends - I tend to be drawn to people who are really fun and charasmatic in the beginning but are really only interested in their own lives. It is hard to make a u-turn in friendships, but it is so worth it. I also work hard at being a good friend - I can get so caught up in my own responsibilities that a lot of time goes by without reaching out to people. It is still hard when I try to connect and the person doesn't respond or seem interested.

1jooj - where are things at with the sale of your house now? And THANK YOU for being such a wonderful Secret Sprinter, especially since you were carrying so much work and responsibility in the middle of snowstorms, etc - your packages and cards really made me feel terrific.

mamabeth - hang in there this weekend! I hope you get at least one good run in.

Had an annoying phone call this morning. Most of the time it is no big deal being married to a minister in a small town - until this morning. This woman called, wanting to know details about the Good Friday service. I suggested that she call the church for details. She snapped at me that she already had and there was no answer there. I suggested that my dh was probably at the hospital and that she try leaving a message on the church machine. She started asking me questions about the service and I couldn't answer them - then she snapped because I didn't know what was happening. I gently replied that I wasn't part of the service palnning and I was sorry I couldn't help her and she got really ticked and hung up. I am so gratefu to the women of the 1970's and 1980's who helped break the mold/expectation that minster's wives are part of the work team because I don't face this very often - and I am glad. I have enough to keep my mind occupied with my own life and work, I don't need to keep track of dh's work too, KWIM? rant over.

Hot cross buns are rising and the kids and I had an amazing conversation about what this weekend/hoilday means in our lives. I love those moments.
#122 of 1080 Old 04-06-2007, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollysMom View Post
Good news for me. Rachel has finally started sleeping all night and appears to be starting to take a nap in the afternoon. While it may not seem running related I think it is going to make it easier for me to get out there. Keep your fingers crossed that it continues.
Ooooh, lovely! That's great news. Let's see... she's 6 weeks older than my girl... I can make it six more weeks.

Wore my watch to bed last night so that I could see how long my sleep stretches were. It was depressing.

Am dressed in running clothes and drinking a little coffee for motivation before I go out and pound a little morning pavemeng. My in-laws arrive this morning and my husband has an overnight field trip that starts this evening, so I will be on solo in-law (and baby) duty 'til he returns tomorrow. Nice. A run is definitely in order!

My "deadbeat" friend called back almost immediately last night. I need to give people a little bit more time and understanding :-) I answered the phone, "Hello?" and hear her say "Hi, Stalker!" very cheerfully. So, we have get-together plans for next Tuesday and all is right w/ the world.

And I will introduce my (charming?) self to the library mamas next week. I think I just got miffed because one of them pulled her baby away as Nevie approached him. UA violation on her, too!

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#123 of 1080 Old 04-06-2007, 12:13 PM

I ran 40 min on the treadmill today. Running 40 min is not such a big accomplishment but doing it on the tm is, both for my attention span and for my kids to leave me alone for that length of time! Tomorrow, outside run for me no matter how cold.

Megs- I just wanted to say re: the library moms situation...we had a playgroup here, pretty established and it must have seemed to new people that we were all good friends. And I do consider these people friends. Then 2 new people joined at the same time, about 2 yrs after this group started. The playgroup has sort of broken apart as the kids have started school but those 2 new people are the only ones I still get together with regularly. So, introduce yourself...you never know what will come of it.

creb- oh how frustrating to have to keep waiting. I hope you hear good news soon.

ds needing me...
#124 of 1080 Old 04-06-2007, 12:15 PM

Ooooh, Shanti. Nasty phone call experience! I am not surprised that happened, or still happens. That seems to still be an expectation for military wives, too. It's on the wane, but still there.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#125 of 1080 Old 04-06-2007, 12:33 PM

Need to get motivating to finishing packing up for our Easter-PA trip. Thanks, Patty, I was looking into Crayola. Haven't mentioned it to the kids, but may stop depending on what time it is.

Reb, that really sucks. I hope it works out for the best. I can't imagine all the waiting. Hope you and Chris have a nice day together.

eks, glad things have improved a bit at work. All the changes sound really promising!

Jen and Monica, I can't imagine being so inspired for evening running. You guys rock.

I know that that there are lots of other personals, but I have to scoot. I am packing my running things (this time my shoes too) to hopefully manage some sort of exercise. MIL has a treadmill, maybe I will give it a go. (I have never actually "run" on a treadmill.)

Happy holiday greetings to everyone, whatever you may celebrate (spring would be a nice one : ) and "talk" soon.
#126 of 1080 Old 04-06-2007, 12:43 PM

Megs, I'm so glad your friend called back!!!

Shanti, what an awful expectation!!

Searching for music for The Laramie Project. There is a lot of music out there that was inspired by Matthew Shepard's murder!!

Have to get in 4 miles today. Once again, I have no idea how. It'll work itself out. Naomi, my built in childcare, had a sleepover last night, so she isn't home. The two little ones are still sleeping soundly! It's almost 9am!
#127 of 1080 Old 04-06-2007, 01:18 PM

I am very good at diplomatically redirecting people to dh for information. There are a few from his church that try to get me to act as his personal secretary but they are finally giving up, as I just won't play that game. Of course, if someone calls in crisis (someone is dying or has just died or something desperate is happening) I will do anything and everything to find dh and get him to them and offer all I can in the meantime - but I just won't play secretary or assistant minister. I love dh and respect the work he does, but I am just not a church-y type of person. I always say that I married him, not his job.
#128 of 1080 Old 04-06-2007, 01:55 PM

Reb - your bag is coming along nicely - it looks like it is made of jelly beans!

(colour, not texture - LOL)
#129 of 1080 Old 04-06-2007, 02:11 PM

Reb, any word on the job or your DD's results? Or do you think you'll have to wait until next week to hear from the doc? Thinking about you...

Moonshine, I hope you have a good trip!

Megs, glad your friend called back. And I have to say you were a wonderful Secret Sprinter. Your friends and those library mamas don't know what they're missing!

Jen, I'm glad you're able to train at the cardiac rehab. That's awesome.

I'm exhausted today, but trying to churn stuff out here at work. I got a Blackberry today... I'm a little nervous about the electronic leash concept. But the cool thing is I'm allowed to use it for personal stuff too.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#130 of 1080 Old 04-06-2007, 02:17 PM

checking in on Reb too... : And I'll send a prayer your way too.

Shanti - nicely done. You really are an amazing person and are going to make a great therapist someday.

Meg - I'm glad your friend called back too. It wasn't until I met jgmommo that I began to realize my difficulties with friends was more about the situation than me. Around the time I met her I met a large group of women. Granted she is one of the closest to me, but I'm friends with all of them and they were all so wonderful when I had E in bringing food and such.

I am exhausted too. E has trouble with congestion every night - so for half the night it's okay, but then the other half is rough - him either up crying or just up. I suction him out and I get so much snot!
#131 of 1080 Old 04-06-2007, 02:30 PM

I'm now stalking Reb.

RR: ran the most amazing 32 minutes this morning. I ditched my usual route finally -- thank god! -- and ran down along the road that follows the Spokane River. Don't know why I haven't been running that all along, but oh well. It's also along the backside of a golf course, so the whole run was me grinning like a fool while enjoying tree-dappled sunshine, the smell of the cut grass on the golf course, the heavenly, heady scent of the river (and sounds of the river -- my favorite!) and feeling soooo strong. I did an out-and-back, but on the way back I dipped down to the trails for a while. I wanted to run at least 30 minutes, but then I also wanted to run the whole big hill where the river road comes back up into the neighborhood by the golf course entrance. And THEN, when I made that a reality, I didn't want to end too abruptly at the top of the hill, so I ran a couple more blocks on the flat before taking a leisurely walk home. For some reason, just before the Big Hill started, I got this huge rush of happy adrenaline. An old hymn came into my head: "His Eye is on the Sparrow" and I ran up that hill with such gratitude in my heart.

I am so glad I'm running. I am so glad my body allows me to. I am sooooo glad I met you amazing dingoes who inspire me to keep on running this little race of life with confidence.

OK, I'll wrap up this schmaltzy post now so I can get back to stalking Reb.

#132 of 1080 Old 04-06-2007, 03:21 PM

Can y'all give me half marathon training advice? I want to do a half in mid-July and I want to do it better than I am doing this marathon. I've been looking at training schedules and haven't found one that I like for two reasons. First, I only want to run 4 days a week. Most schedules are for 5 days. Second, I don't want to lose the distances I've gained by going back down to 4-6 mile long runs. I have no idea what the 4x400 or 5x880 thingies mean. So, what I would do is keep the same basic schedule I have now and just alter it to try to gain some speed.

Monday: Rest
Tuesday: 3-5 miles as fast as I can.
Wednesday: 5-7 miles slow
Thursday: 3-5 miles with hills
Friday: Rest or x-training
Saturday: Rest or x-training
Sunday: Long slow run 10-14 miles with taper two weeks before the race.

Do you think that would make me faster? Or would I still be running into these overtraining issues of pain and getting slower and slower?

Oh. Just heard from our realtor. Our deal fell through. I'm totally bummed. I saw us in that house. The little rental house on the property made the mortgage payment doable. I don't know what we'll do now. Things are just too expensive here. If it weren't for the school, I think we'd consider moving.
#133 of 1080 Old 04-06-2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
UA = User Agreement. I think she was calling them a bad name, that would be a User Agreement Violation.
yes UA violation - my brain was too fried!!

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#134 of 1080 Old 04-06-2007, 04:22 PM

Megs, I loved your schmaltzy post.

Mandy, didn't you mention doing some kind of co-op on gu's or bloks, etc.? Are you still considering that?
#135 of 1080 Old 04-06-2007, 06:31 PM

I'm also stalking Reb. Good luck! I'm praying for you.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#136 of 1080 Old 04-06-2007, 06:49 PM

you're never going to believe this.....

I got a call from the HR lady. She said that she's sorry but she can't keep up her promise.... that Joan (a bigwig with whom I had my last phone interview--early that one morning) now wants to meet me and the other candidate in person before making a decision and isn't free to do so until APRIL 27TH!!!! In Chicago. Now I have to wait several more weeks and talk to someone I already interviewed with and take another day of vacation (if my boss will let me) and travel to Chicago. It's a load of horse s#it.
I'm SO very bummed out.

And I tried to run this morning but felt too sick and didn't even make it 1.5 miles. I have been very very very barfy every morning. Don't even. I'm SO not knocked up. There was the vasectomy in January and we've only crosstrained once...and my AF was barely done...I was still spotting. So I'm NOT. But now my legs and hips really hurt, too. I was going to try and finish the run tonight but decided that wallowing in food and drink and lounging in my comfy clothes would be more beneficial. I don't know...maybe the barfiness is just stress. God knows I have a little of it......

Good news is that Amelia's tests were fine. We have to continue to limit milk and see what happens.

So...sorry, but you have to stalk me another three to four weeks, I guess... and then who knows how long.....
#137 of 1080 Old 04-06-2007, 06:56 PM

Oh Reb!

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#138 of 1080 Old 04-06-2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy View Post
Oh Reb!
:

no run in forever. but I was just hunting around and found the perfect job for dh. it even snows there. if only they were looking for me (and yes, we are buying a house. but we figure as soon as we close on this baby we'll get job offers galore -- we can lose money in that scenario, it's ok with us).

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#139 of 1080 Old 04-06-2007, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy View Post
Oh Reb!
: I can't believe it! That's rotten. I so hope it's worth all the stress!! I hope, also, that you can let it go a bit. Treat yourself really well, with lots of love and do some things that make you happy.

Kerc, wouldn't that just be the way it goes?
#140 of 1080 Old 04-06-2007, 08:00 PM

Oh. My. GAWD. Reb.

Are you effing kidding me? Is this job worth all that bs? Especially if this is foreshadowing to how they handle critical decisions?

Duuuuuude. NOT COOL, MAN. I'd be nauseated myself.

#141 of 1080 Old 04-06-2007, 08:13 PM

Reb, I hope you really want the job because that sounds like one totally messed up organisation. be forewarned! but still, best of luck.

snowboarding was great today. it's been snowing, so there was a good 8"+ of fresh snow this morning. dh came up and did a few runs with me, and that was good. work folks were friendly. i picked ds up from preschool and brought him up to the mountain because preschool was having a benefit party. he was a good boy. mingled and charmed the work folks at the work tailgate and behaved at the preschool party.
#142 of 1080 Old 04-06-2007, 09:53 PM

reb!

you know, if this is a large-ish company, i am not surprised. the corporate world acts like everything revolves around them. i guess they figure most people would want to work there so they can delay, pull legs, etc and it won't turn people off enough to retract interest in working for them.

hope it turns out the way you want it to

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#143 of 1080 Old 04-06-2007, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Oy Reb that blows. I hope you can put it completely out of your mind for a couple weeks just so you feel fresh when it comes back to the next interview.

DrJen - I realized as I was sitting at the piano that you are the other dingo who mentioned playing piano. Any tips?

GMM and Megs - Man, I am so envious of your mountain time. I remember how I always felt completely renewed after a day on the slopes.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#144 of 1080 Old 04-07-2007, 12:20 AM

Hi Mamas,

Reb! What is wrong with these people? I want to come up and bitch slap them on your behalf. I am so sorry you are stressing over this. Someone told me something really interesting the other day. She said that when something is meant to be, it will come effortlessly to you. When I look back in my life at the things that really are meant for me, they did come effortlessly, without stress. I have no idea if anything like this applies to you, but it is something to think about. Maybe there is a better opportunity waiting around the corner for you?

Mandy, so glad you had a great snowy day today. YAH!

Kerc, here's hoping for positive things to come your and your DHs way

Cheryl Ann, if you do some biking on your cross training days, you will definately be ready for your race.

Megs, long live Schmaltz! Yay!

BBM, poor little E, I hope little man clears up soon and that you get some rest.

Shantimama, sorry that lady was so intrusive. I bet she felt bad later. You are one calm, cool Mama LOL

Moonshine, have a great trip!

I update my blog to include the alien ovary picture. The ovary is the white thing, the alien is the little one, the regular ovary is the bigger one attached to it. I got some preliminary path results and the mass was benign. Huge exhale for me I can't get over how long it takes to get results. Jeez, I have been on the edge of my seat the whole time you know?

Scroll down to see the pants I finished for A this past week. Took me 2 1/2 years to do those. Yikes.

I am going to try to do some gentle yoga this weekend. My abdominal wall feels really strong and well.

Take care, ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

#145 of 1080 Old 04-07-2007, 12:51 AM

ND -- so glad the results were benign! Sigh of relief all over Dingoland.

Plady -- I've been known to tickle the ivories once in a while... I brought a 6-foot Yamaha black beauty home from Japan. As soon as our remodeling is done I can get it tuned. As far as advice for lessons go... just keep it fun! Learn what interests/excites you. Kids can stay interested with standard repertoire, or whatever the teacher hands them, more easily I think. I would imagine that an adult student would be less inclined to stick it out for purely academic reasons I started lessons when I was 7, though, so the early stuff is a fog.

Tonight with Nevie sucked. That is all.

#146 of 1080 Old 04-07-2007, 01:04 AM

Plady - I started piano when I was 6 (will be playing 30 years this year!) I'm not sure how to make it more interesting to tell you the truth. I loved my piano teacher, and had her for age 6 to 16 - she was 75 when she started teaching me. She had me do scales, and songs, and exercises, and memorize Bible verses, and would give me buttons in a jar for each thing I did well - if I got so many, I could choose a piece of candy after my lesson - I always enjoyed that, even when I was a teen. I loved and revered her, and did anything she suggested, basically! In college, I studied with a much tougher teacher, but I loved her, too. The early teacher I had was conservatory-trained and very knowledgeable, and the college prof had a PhD in music, plus had studied all over the world.

I don't think almost 35 is anywhere near too old. Certain things will be a little harder for you than it is for a child (ear training, perhaps, although my college teacher convinced me that can be taught at any age.) My dh picked up the guitar at age 31 after absolutely no musical background whatsoever and has gotten quite good. Both my long term piano teachers were older, and they both told me how they'd continued to get more musical and give better performances the older they got. It has always reassured me that someday when I have more time (like in my 60s or older) music will still be there with new doors to open and I can continue to improve. My college prof picked up the recorder in her 60s, and started composing in her 60s, and was first published as a composer in her 60s.

Speaking of piano - I'm playing in church this Sun and didn't think through the commitment to 3 services on Easter when I signed up. I have to be there from 7 am to 12 pm! I'm playing a duet with another amazing pianist from my church for the offertory and am so looking forward to it, plus I love the upbeat Easter music. Hopefully, my kids can do Easter baskets early, and then dh can manage to get them dressed and to church for the latest service.

My oldest ds came home for the weekend - with green hair! He also let a girl friend puck his long-standing monobrow into 2 separate eyebrows. Almost didn't recognize him!
#147 of 1080 Old 04-07-2007, 01:07 AM

Yes...it is a huge company and it's a very prestigious position. The company just won the Malcolm Baldridge National Quality Award for 2006, which is a very prestigious quality award given by the Vice President and Secretary of Commerce. Only three companies in the country got it and we (I say 'we' because I've been working for them on an outsourced basis for nearly three years) were one of them. They can take this long to make their decision because there are lots of people who would kill for the job and because it's critical that they hire someone very good. I just don't understand why I have to meet with Joan in person after already having a phone interview and meeting many other mookie mooks in person. Grrrrrr.

I've got a full pay photo session in the morning... 6month old girl and 8 year old boy.
Tonight I've been trying to choose photos for my official portfolio, which I'll need to take to my workshop with Audrey Woulard later in the month That's one thing that will (somewhat) keep my mind off of the job....the workshop is on the 23rd and 24th.
I'm shopping for a new lens that I need, but it is going to be VERY expensive and although it will pay for itself eventually, it's a big investment up front...

Have a great weekend everyone! and thanks again for your support and offers of bitch slapping.
#148 of 1080 Old 04-07-2007, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRebRun View Post
Have a great weekend everyone! and thanks again for your support and offers of bitch slapping.
Okay, that just cracks me up! Has to be one of the funnier thank yous I've ever read!

But Chicago, huh? How long will you be in our fair state?
#149 of 1080 Old 04-07-2007, 09:17 AM

Oh Reb, that sucks! What a huge pain in the a$$. Don't they realize that people can't put their lives on hold forever. Man, for the number of interviews and the amount of stress you would think the job was for something that was going to save the world! Hang in there! Glad to hear that dd's test were okay!
#150 of 1080 Old 04-07-2007, 09:27 AM

ND - So glad to hear the test results were positive. What a relief!

Megs -

doctorjen -Green hair! Something for us all to look forward to

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page