Dingos after the Easter Bunny! April Runners' thread - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 1080 Old 04-08-2007, 10:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just checking in, mamas. It's been a nonstop weekend. When I woke up at 5:30 this morning for sunrise service, I said to myself, "And I have to go to work tomorrow!" This is the first real downtime I've had all weekend.

I'm not going to be running the Indy Mini. However, I'm still planning to head out that way - so, Geo, wanna get together during the race? Also, if there is anyone here who wants to transfer into the race, let me know. The transfer deadline is April 14.

That said, I'm going to start running again this week. Three times. By this time next week I will have run three times. I'm posting it here so I have to.

Jo, congrats on the two little guys! Thanks for posting the pictures, and happy babymoon to Ms. Nibbles.

Shanti, love what you said about Easter.

CherylAnn, I loved your attitude about not getting your run in today. It struck me as very healthy.

Mamabeth, I'm glad DH's service went well, and interesting about the no burger craving. I broke the veg news to my parents tonight... that will be a blog post either tonight or tomorrow.

BBM, beautiful family you've got there. Thanks for sharing the pics. So sorry about the car repairs.

Kerc, go get 'em. Tranny work before the plates are on, to the seller.

OK, must go finish up things around the house and get to bed early. I still can't shake this sinus infection after nearly a week of antibiotics. The augmentin is sure doing a number on my insides, though... yikes!

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#182 of 1080 Old 04-08-2007, 10:17 PM

Good to see you eks. How many different antibiotics have you been on for this nasty infection? It's been going on too long!!!

Megs I hope you can get some good solid sleep tonight!

cReb, I am so sorry to keep confusing Libby and Amelia's names. I'm happy to read that Amelia is a-okay. Oliver is a huge water drinker, too. We don't do milk here because dh is lactose intolerant and Sophia had an allergy to it as a baby so we just don't have it around. I used to wonder if he was okay, too. But, he actually drinks less now than he did when he was 2.

Callie, I meant to comment earlier about Roslyn. They also filmed one of my very favorite TV series there. Northern Exposure. We visited the town once and saw all the familiar buildings. The one little restaurant sold Northern Exposure t-shirts with the big moose on the front. It's off the beaten path, but we drive by the exit every time we go to or from Seattle.

Ugh. Back at the computer to work on the play program and I'm here instead. Must work!!!
#183 of 1080 Old 04-08-2007, 10:54 PM

CherylAnn, just the one antibiotic for this infection, but before that I was on amoxicillin for the strep. I swear I'm not an abx abuser! We actually try to have no antibacterial stuff in the house, etc... I've seen the antibiotic resistance data at my hospital and it isn't pretty.

Anyway, at this point the coughing is more the issue... maybe I need to get some expectorant, although really, isn't it kind of gross to intentionally buy something that could make phlegm fly out of your mouth without warning?

#184 of 1080 Old 04-08-2007, 11:43 PM

Wow! I go away for 12 days and there is no way to catch up! Savannah was wonderful ~ lots of time at the beach, time for the kids to play with their cousins, and even some good runs . In fact, I did my longest run to date ~ 6 miles ~ through the woods out on one of the islands. Just beautiful! I'm glad to be home now, in spite of the not so pleasant temperatures today.

Happy Easter to all!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#185 of 1080 Old 04-09-2007, 01:18 AM

Three more days and then I'm off to Florida to visit family w/ Nora, I am so excited!

Easter service was really beautiful today, and Nora got to hunt easter eggs w/ the kids after church. Although she didn't really get the concept, mostly picked the eggs up, realized they didn't taste good, and threw them back down...

4.5 miles today. I'm planning to do a 5K in 2 weeks w/my local sorority alumni group for our national philanthropy - end domestic violence - so it is nice to have a small goal to go towards and a good cause...

CherylAnn, now I really want to go up and visit our friends that live there... It sounds beutiful but very small- and she commutes to Seattle 4x a week.

Jo - congrats on being a lambma!

Eks - feel better soon!

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#186 of 1080 Old 04-09-2007, 02:18 AM

I should definitely be sleeping, but wanted to check in a brag - RR even! I had a busy weekend with Easter, older ds home, and a birth last night on top of it. I really wanted to run longish and try to have a long run that flowed better. With the treadmill situation and the below freezing weather I decided to go to the hospital to run. Then dh had to take ds back to college, and left later than we'd hoped. I ran around getting little ds packed up (he's flying to my mom's in the morning for a week) and got the 2 younger ones baths and in bed. I put my running clothes on and waited for dh. I decided if I could get on the treadmill in the neighborhood of 9 pm, I was still going to try to run long.
And in the end, I actually did it! I got on the treadmill just before 9:15, and ran 9 miles, getting off at ten to 11 pm. I tried to be more deliberate this time about drinking and pacing myself. I walked 0.1 mile every 2 miles and ate part of a Clif bar and drank water. In the end, I finished the 9 miles in 92:38, and it didn't feel anywhere near as hard as the last 9 I tried to do.
Now I'm going to bed, and will catch up more tomorrow - except I wanted to say I love the little lambies! My little dd was so excited looking at them and the other sheep, and the little peeps too!
#187 of 1080 Old 04-09-2007, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Whew! Hapy Day After Easter everyone!

What busy lives we lead!

Jo- Congrats on your babies, that is so exciting and what a great Easter gift.

Shanti - Hope you're doing well.

Callie - Roslyn is a small town, but look how famous it is! When dh and I drover through WA 8 years ago we made a point to stop there.

MB - So what did you end up having? When I've done veggie stints in the past I'm always amazed at how unappealing burgers become when they usually smell so good!

cReb - good news that Amelia is cleared of serious charges, I hope the poop thing resolves as she gets older.

Eks - Glad to see you here. Sorry you are still fighting the infection. I imagine the stress you've been under so consistently is more of the issue than anything. Of course, figuring out how to slow it down is the hard part.

It's so nice to imagine each of you doing your Easter thing in whichever part of the world you're in. I took dd to church yesterday. We were aiming for the 10am english mass in this tiny chapel next to a bigger church but got waylaid until 10:15 and I hate walking in late, especially since we are hardly regulars :. So we decided to go to the big church and just say some prayers and thank God for the things we love. When we got in there a mass was moments away from communion so we stayed for that. I've been torn about dd's church-going. I really wish I knew of a priest or pastor that gave inspiring sermons in town but I haven't come across one and so we tend to skip church altogether though we stp in frequently to say prayers. And then yesterday while we were standing there dd was asking me about everyone depicted up on the altar, Jesus (freshly risen, not on the cross), Mary, another Jesus, and then assorted saints. Dd has always spoken of God as She, so she naturally assumes that Mary is God. I like that and I'm more inclined to take a child's word for who's who than some crusty old priest (: I hope I'm not offending anyone here) and I finally realized that eventually she'll notice that they are talking about the Father the Son and the Holy Spirit, not the Mother! Oops. I wish there was some sort of Mary cult within the catholic faith that I could go to for dd. I've participated in some Wiccan ceremonies and I like their take on Gods and Goddesses but it always seems so on the fringe that I'm not sure it would help me in my goal of making dd feel comfortable in churchy settings. I just don't want her to be like dh who had no religious upbringing at all and who now feels totally intimidated by everything having to do with religion. Hm. Well I've gotten a little off topic haven't I? Sorry!

Anyway, we followed it up with an easter egg hunt in the country that dh had set up expecting a few extra kids but nobody else came so dd made out like a bandit! But it was awfully cute to see her shrieking with glee every time she spied another egg. Such pure childhood pleasure.

and to everyone I'm missing this morning! Time to make the donuts.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#188 of 1080 Old 04-09-2007, 10:12 AM

hi all, feeling like I am failing in my running due to illness, but family comes first. Haven't run since Thursday, and am hopping on the trusty TM now to just put some miles in and move my legs. I have a 15K on Saturday and the half marathon in one month, in which I was hoping to break my PR's, but not getting ANY hopes up at this point. It's just too hard to run when you've gone to bed at 3:30AM and ds wakes you up at 6AM.

Ds2 (who is 5yo) is still pretty congested and coughing (he had the strep and ear infection Tuesday), but other than that is doing much better (thank you to those that asked).

Ds1 (who turned 7yo on Saturday) has the cold now, and his cough is horrendous (he also has asthma).

Ds3 (who is 2) started the cold Friday, and turned into a nasty ear infection by Saturday. (the night I got less than 3 hours sleep) I called the ped on call on Easter (yes, I felt horrible for doing so, but didnt' know if even the immediate care would be open) because they told us to call if siblings developed symtpoms like strep. Ds3 was rubbing his jaw, so I was torn, I felt it may be ear infection or strep, either way he needed medical attention and we wanted to try to avoid the ER if possible.

Soooo, he started having drainage out the pain ear and feeling better, making me think it must've been the ear infection and maybe the drum burst. So now, I'm waiting for a call from the pediatrician on how to care for it and see if she wants us to come in.

I better try to run a little in case this is the only chance I get today.

On a happy note, Ds1's birthday was great, he and all the kids had a blast. The games went over really well, as did the prizes. Phew. I still have to get ds2's birth story on my blog (from January ), then ds1's, then upload some photos. But that'll all take place as time allows.

Lisa
#189 of 1080 Old 04-09-2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
MB - So what did you end up having? When I've done veggie stints in the past I'm always amazed at how unappealing burgers become when they usually smell so good!
Well, I had chicken. Dh got a burger and I had a bite, and it just tasted like dirt or something. But the chicken was good, although it's mostly this certain dish that I like that might be just as good with fish or whatever. or I could just get a big dish of the green salsa that comes with it So I think I'm going to eat as I have been, veggie with an occasional side of chicken.

I just blogged for the first time in forever...you'll see why, and maybe relate.

Plady, what you were describing about church is something I've struggled with for a long time, and I just got in a debate with dd (not smart) about how God is like a mother, and she insists that God is a boy. I'm not terribly worried because she used to insist that God is a girl, but still, it means that despite our best efforts of reading inclusively (I use "he" and "she" interchangably for God in her stories) the patriarchy is getting through. we even bless at night in the name of the "creator, redeemer, sanctifier, one God, mother of us all" but still! anyway, I don't have any answers except that maybe exposure to many different ways is good, and that I have met many a crusty priest who believes in a feminine God. and also many that do not. blessings on your journey though.

take care mamas, I am GOING to run today. dh is taking the day off so as soon as he wakes up (he took 1st shift with kids) I am out there.
#190 of 1080 Old 04-09-2007, 10:21 AM

Hi guys, just popping in quickly. had a pretty good weekend, my folks came up so I had a nice break in parenting duties. i wish we lived closer to my parents, ds just loves them so much. I think i had a migraine yesterday. I don't really get them, so I'm not sure but it was the worst headache plus nausea. As it was beginning, I thought I was just a little hung over from Saturday night and tried to go swimming. but all that flopping around in the water did not help and I could hardly drive home. not a good situation. still recovering today (head hurts a bit and still nauseous) and am going to go google migraines to see what I can learn.
#191 of 1080 Old 04-09-2007, 10:24 AM

Hey Plady-when I was in labor, Mamabeth came and prayed for me and her prayer was to Mother God, which was incredibly appropriate in that case.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#192 of 1080 Old 04-09-2007, 11:22 AM

Good morning! I'm so glad to have my coffee back! I feel like running again. My dc were so tired this morning. We had a big day yesterday..with more to come this week. We had Easter and ds birthday yesterday and dd's birthday is tomorrow. I can't believe my babies are getting so big.
I will be reporting running progress this week. I will post some personals as well.
#193 of 1080 Old 04-09-2007, 11:23 AM

Mandy-Glad you got some time with your folks. How's your dad doing? I get headaches w/nausea, too. They're never been diagnosed as migraines, but they are totally debilitating (sp?). They're awful. I'm pretty good at knowing when one is coming now and I take big amounts of acetaminophine and that usually knocks it out if I catch it early enough.

Lisa-Goodness! You've got to get everyone well! That just really stinks. I'm glad your ds had a good bday!

Eksmom-: : This is not good. I can't believe you've been sick like this. I hope you are able to get rid of it soon.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#194 of 1080 Old 04-09-2007, 01:02 PM
bec

What a busy weekend! I wasn't on much, and no way I can catch up, now. I had a sucky run on Saturday, and wasn't able to do my 25 minutes straight. I got it all in, but I had to walk for a few minutes after 20 minutes, then finish the last 5. I run again this afternoon. Hopefully it will go better. I'm going to try to slow my pace a bit, so I'm not dying after the hill the treadmill puts in. That's what killed me this last time. I, actually made it through the hill, but completely ran out of steam because of it. I probably would have been fine if I could have just kept going another minute or so, but it wasn't happening.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#195 of 1080 Old 04-09-2007, 01:15 PM

Just wanted to pop in quickly and say Hi!

Had a good weekend and even made it to Church. dd1 got a new bike for Easter and it sucks that it is soooo cold here. I think we are going to go out for a ride today anyway. She has been riding it around the house and she and dh got in a big fight because he told her she couldn't ride it inside anymore. I can't believe the attitude on 4 year old girls - "Daddy, we already had this conversation...I am getting irritated with you! I so look forward to the teen years

I hope to run while she rides.....

Have a great day everyone!
#196 of 1080 Old 04-09-2007, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeth View Post
... I have met many a crusty priest who believes in a feminine God.
Going to a Catholic University was the best thing to shake up my faith assumptions about this sort of thing! Was raised in a VERY VERY patriarchal evangelical church and left with more questions than answers (but always loved it anyway). Enter my Theology professor in college... hard-smoking, cancer-surviving skinny Holy Cross priest. I took him for Theo Survey and then again my senior year for "Religion and Science." Shook my world in the best way possible. During one of the first classes, a student started to ask a question: "Fr. H -- if God (blah blah blah), then why does He - " and got immediately cut off by Fr. H. "I have to stop you there. My feminist theologian friends would have my head if I let you use only the male pronoun. In my class I use "God" and "Godself," but no gender-specific terms." It was so very cool to finally feel like it was not just OK, but *important*, to honor the different facets of a Creator presence.

I slept in the basement for a few hours last night just to get any rest at all. Woke up to Dan calling for me on the intercom. Grrrr. Don't kick me out of the room to get rest and then whine for me later! Oh well. I think she's just teething hard and this should pass soon.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#197 of 1080 Old 04-09-2007, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Sue Monk Kidd's book "The Dance of the Dissident Daughter" is a good one for women, particularly from Christian traditions, to read when exploring/struggling with the patriarchy in the churches and wanting to explore feminine experiences of G-d. I could recommend about a dozen others, but I won't here - PM me of anyone is interested. I have a stack of books on feminist spirituality and feminist reflection on the spiritual traditions of the curch(es) that I should be reading for a paper. Should is the operative word here. I am hoping to get to them next week.

Super tired here today. dh has a funeral so he is out most of the day and I am just dragging myself around with the kids.

I am thinking I need to cut out sugar totally cold turkey - being lax with what I eat and not running has led to too much weight gain and feeling yucky. Any tips on how to survive the withdrawl period when you first cut out sugar???
#198 of 1080 Old 04-09-2007, 03:00 PM

We're back in IL, and luckily I have the day off. I am catching up on the cleaning and baking before the week starts here.

Shanti ~ I am going to check Amazon for that book right now.

Monikita ~ Did you go for a run last night?

I must go back through this thread and catch up.

to all

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#199 of 1080 Old 04-09-2007, 03:26 PM

Kristine - that is too funny about your DD - sometimes my 16 mo DD will be laughing at something silly DH is doing, and then if I try to do it, she will look at me like I'm crazy - it makes me foresee "gosh mom, you are so embarassing" in a few more years

re: God - DH and I were just having a discussion about this the other day, and my point was that gender is a human classification and that God would be genderless because of being above and beyond what humans can understand... DH, as a biologist, had the point that concepts of male and female are really only applicable because of reproduction, which again, in my view doesn't really apply to God... Our church usually replaces he in many readings w/ God, or where it says "man" in the Bible/prayer/hymm we use a genderless term... I think that different people can relate to God in different ways whether feminine,masculine, neither, or both..

so, all this to say, that Plady, your DD seems to have a good grasp of what's what

RM - sending healing vibes to your family!!

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#200 of 1080 Old 04-09-2007, 03:51 PM

I can't do my work right now cus the big server is crashed out so I'll pop in quick with a short post.

Spent the weekend @ my brother's helping with his neverending basement remodeling. Tried not to be too annoyed by the SIL. In general I like her but she can be really selfish in a passive-aggressive way and there's always this weird tension. Also, she and my brother are 180 deg opposite of me and dh in terms of now we manage our homes (we're just very anti-clutter and organized and they are messy - oh, there's a floor in that closet?) so dh and I always feel really out of sorts at their house. And it kills me that they have a half million dollar house that they've completely beat up in the 7 or so years they've lived there. Anyway, just family crap. But, I love my brother and was glad to spend time with him and the family.

I did manage to go running on Saturday. Went with my SIL and niece. We ran a fast 5.5 mi - I should have gone further but I knew I would not make it further at my SIL's pace so I figured a hard 5.5 was good enough. I didn't run on Sunday - my dd woke up with the birds asking me to sing the Easter Bunny song again and could we get up and look for baskets yet? The pressure is really on now to increase my mileage. I'm struggling with getting out the door because my little guy is still night-nursing and can be hard to get away from in that 4:30-5:30 a.m. window when I need to get up. And then, on many mornings when I get up early enough, my dd gets up too and it's been so darn cold that I can't haul her out with me at 5:00 a.m. I find myself wanting to kick my kids down the hall but also not wanting to give up co-sleeping until they're ready. Grrrr.

Ok, gotta get back to the task. Please excuse the lack of personals today.
#201 of 1080 Old 04-09-2007, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicocj View Post
RM - sending healing vibes to your family!!
Thank you!! We need it!!
#202 of 1080 Old 04-09-2007, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLove View Post
Monikita ~ Did you go for a run last night?

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
#203 of 1080 Old 04-09-2007, 04:55 PM

Well, I don't think I'll be running this week.

On the way out of the house to go to lunch & drop off the ILs at the airport, I was not paying attention to my footing and I tripped on one of the steps in our walkway. Yes, I was holding Nevie. So... she got tossed on to the lawn. She is totally fine, but I am still berating myself and feeling like a horrible, incompetent, negligent mother. Plus my knee is killing me. Dan said it sounded like a coconut when it hit the concrete.

Ugh. Will I ever get my act together? Holy crap.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#204 of 1080 Old 04-09-2007, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
I just don't want her to be like dh who had no religious upbringing at all and who now feels totally intimidated by everything having to do with religion.
this is how it is in our house! dh leans toward being agnostic, like his father, and that is just because he doesn't KNOW, cannot PROVE somehow that god exists. it frustrates me because i want him to be a little open-minded and just be open to the possibility, but he tends to be all scientific about it. i grew up with religious [but not fanatic] parents who are still very involved in their churches - mom's catholic, dad's protestant. religion doesn't freak me out at all, like it does dh, but we don't go to church. i guess i consider myself a spiritual person, not a religious one.

this easter, i took the kids to church with my parents --mostly so they could show off their grandkids to all their friends-- and dh didn't go. not a huge deal, but i want to just tell him to relax, it's not a big deal! but then again, i can't expect him to 'fake' interest through the service - that's disrespectful.

i don't know. anyone have any idea how to answer 'what's god?' to a child who has never been to church?

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#205 of 1080 Old 04-09-2007, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
Anyway, at this point the coughing is more the issue... maybe I need to get some expectorant, although really, isn't it kind of gross to intentionally buy something that could make phlegm fly out of your mouth without warning?

Doesn't expectorant just help thin the muccous? Which helps it get the heck outta there?

quick update:
tranny DOES need replacing. Honda dealer is ALL OVER IT. I think he saw me coming and was like "oh crap." Service manager called: It's under warranty, would we prefer car to be picked up from our house or should we drop it off for work on Thursday and Friday? I'm pleased that they are seeing they missed it (as we've put less than 2 k miles on it) and they are busy trying to make it right. It helps that we are repeat customers at this dealer and have referred friends there.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#206 of 1080 Old 04-09-2007, 06:07 PM

kerc~so good to hear that!

Megs~so sorry you got hurt and glad that Nevie is fine.

soooo NRR question......when a recipe tells you to add a can of garbonzo beans, do you add the liquid too? don't laugh too hard at this.
#207 of 1080 Old 04-09-2007, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post
soooo NRR question......when a recipe tells you to add a can of garbonzo beans, do you add the liquid too? don't laugh too hard at this.
drain and rinse
#208 of 1080 Old 04-09-2007, 06:15 PM

thanks Wendy! We've been eating them for years, but never knew which way was right. THanks!
#209 of 1080 Old 04-09-2007, 06:32 PM

Hack hack cough cough... I just ran 2 miles! I had to take a couple cough/walk breaks, but I did it! It felt so good to just move again.

#210 of 1080 Old 04-09-2007, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
eksmom, I'd love to hang out during the 1/2. We could even do our own 1/4 or 1/8 marathon while waiting. I'm still not positive I'm coming, because DH is reluctant to ask for time off work -- he's on week 2 of a new job with a tight deadline. I told him to just explain the situation.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page