Losing weight before TTC - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 04-09-2007, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hope I'm putting this in the right spot. Is anyone else trying to lose weight before they start TTC?

DW and I are planning to start TTC at the end of this year and I'd like to lose 20+lbs before we start. Although my weight isn't going to stop us from starting, it will just be a heads up kind of thing.

I joined WW online three weeks ago and have lost 3 lbs so far. I'd love to have and offer some support here. What are you doing to lose weight before TTC? How much do you have to lose? When will you start TTC? Would you be interested in a buddy system here where we check in weekly?

-Rachel

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 04-10-2007, 12:20 AM

I'm TTC and BF and I'm just starting to try to lose weight. So, of course it's really not going to be a starve myself kind of diet. I'm just really looking for a change in what I consume that isn't so drastic that I feel deprived - YKWIM? I'm adding diligent exercise too.

Good luck to you mama in TTC and losing weight.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#3 of 23 Old 04-10-2007, 12:55 PM

Yup, I'm in the same boat. I'd be at my optimum weight if I lost 10-15 lbs, so that's what I'm working on. Moving house and work stress has left me reaching for the cookies far too often lately. I'm coming off hormonal BC at the start of next month as well, which should help.

One pound at a time....
#4 of 23 Old 04-10-2007, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome aboard eastkygal and Akira!

Akira, when my sister came off BC she lost the weight without trying. Let's hope that's the case for you as well.

I did pretty good yesterday. I made it to the gym to walk the treadmill and stayed within my points. My worst time of day is after 5pm. Something about going home and unwinding and reaching for comfort. It doesn't help that I'm not happy in my job either. I plan to get to the gym again today if nothing comes up.

What's you're weakest time of day?

-Rachel

#5 of 23 Old 04-10-2007, 02:19 PM

I would like to join you all!

I am hoping to maybe ttc in August and would like to lose 15 lbs by that time. This gives me approximately 4 months which is only 4lbs per month. Although, I have a really hard time losing a pound so this could be challenging!! :

I have officially told myself that I started yesterday - I did really well all day until 9 pm. I ate my dinner (frozen meal), then ate some potatoes and then a small bowl of cereal/fruit. Today so far I have had a packet of Quaker Weight Control Oatmeal. It has protien powder in it so it's more filling.

My most difficult time of day is the afternoon and evening!!
#6 of 23 Old 04-10-2007, 09:58 PM

I'd like to join too. I'd ideally like to lose 15 lbs and get back in shape. The crappy weather is making it hard to get motivated though!

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

#7 of 23 Old 04-11-2007, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Welcome aboard Fantesia and Carlin!

Yesterday was a great day for me. I got to the gym and I did some work in the garden. I also did very well with my eating.

What program/diet is everyone following, if any?

-Rachel

#8 of 23 Old 04-12-2007, 06:43 AM

I'm not doing any program like WW..
I walk to and from work, which is 25 minutes each way, and I'm trying to watch portion size. I don't eat fried foods or microwave dinners as it is, and I have cut out virtually all processed food from my diet.

Summer is coming though, which makes eating lighter a whole lot easier as well
#9 of 23 Old 04-12-2007, 04:28 PM

Hi, I just saw this thread and would like to join in. I'm hoping to ttc in August-Sept this year and want to ideally lose 20lbs before then. My goal is to lose a pound a week. My plan is to:

-eat breakfast (most days I skip breakfast and am ravenous by 11 am and end up eating an extremely unhealthy amount for lunch)
-stop eating refined flour, substitute whole wheat
-2 serving of fruit/vegetable a day
-increase yoghurt in my diet
-walk at least 30 min a day (very doable because we live in a city - I just have get out of the habit of jumping into a cab to go short distances)
-workout in a gym 2x a week even if its only for 20 mins

I'm definitely interested in checking in weekly. Good luck!

: mom to my little monkey 01/2006 my HBAC baby girl born 09/2009 
#10 of 23 Old 04-12-2007, 05:21 PM

I am planning on ttc this winter in hopes of a fall 08 baby myself. I have been on the healthy habits wagon now since last August (06) and have lost just under 60lbs. Ideally, I'd love to weigh about 130-135 when we ttc (I am 5'7" large frame) and right now I weigh 154.
I also will be very interested in keeping my weight gain to a minimum while pg, last time I gained 70lbs and I'd really like to keep it at or under 30lbs next time around!
#11 of 23 Old 04-12-2007, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome omsmom & msumomma!

omsmom, sounds like you're off to a great start!

msumomma, wow 60 lbs! That's great! Are you following a program? We are also hoping for a fall 08 baby.

Akira, I couldn't agree more about eating lighter in summer being easier! I wish I could walk to work, but I barely make it on time driving, lol.

Today has been good for me. I've planned out the rest of my day and already have my exercise in for the day. Just need to keep busy between now and when DW comes home.

Good luck everyone. One day at a time.

-Rachel

#12 of 23 Old 04-14-2007, 07:38 PM

I count calories using fitday.com to track, I use sparkpeople.com for their support boards and teams, and I exercise about 5 times a week.

Here is the link to my sparkpage if you're interested:

http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage.asp?id=msumomma
#13 of 23 Old 04-16-2007, 12:32 PM

I always feel terrible on Mondays. I do quite well with dieting and exercise during the week but the unstructured lifestyle on weekends tends to undo my good work during the week. Its so much harder to stay focused on counting calories when you're entertaining or going out or traveling (like we did last weekend). Its just frustrating. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to deal with exercise and diet on weekends?

: mom to my little monkey 01/2006 my HBAC baby girl born 09/2009 
#14 of 23 Old 04-16-2007, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Good morning everyone. Hope the week is starting out well for everyone. My weigh ins are on Friday and I lost 2 lbs putting me at a total of 5 pounds for the month. Which is good, IMO.

msu, I love the Sparkpeople website, their articles are great motivation!

Oms, I have that same exact issue. Weekdays are wonderful and structured. Weekends everything goes to hell. What I've been doing, and it's been working so far, is to plan my meals out for the weekend either the morning of or the day before. Friday I sat down and knew I had a birthday party for lunch on Sat and a get together with friends on Sat night. So I planned out what I was going to eat all day Sat. I realize sometimes you just down know but this certainly helps me. In the morning when I check email I try to have a plan of some kind.

My exercise on the weekends normally doesn't consist of going to the gym. If it's nice out we'll hike, take a walk in a park or work in the garden, even running around with the kids I counted as exercise for the day.

Hope everyone has a great week!

-Rachel

#15 of 23 Old 04-22-2007, 04:27 PM

Dh and I were thinking of ttc in 2010 but after some discussion we've decided that it isn't a year thing as much as we need to get some things done before ttc #3. So, it'll likely be much sooner than that, possibly even next year! One of my things (that dh could care less about ) is to lose weight before getting pregnant again. I'm not sure of the exact number of pounds I'd like to lose, I know I want to lose at least 20 and when I hit that, I'll reevaluate. I've already joined the 1,000 min/month challenge and this would be a nice extra to check in here each week. As far as what I'm doing to lose the weight, mostly exercise. Dance, running, pilates (just starting this one), yoga, tae bo, and basically anything that strikes me right I am trying to make sure I'm not eating just to eat also, I have a problem of zoning out while watching tv or reading and not realizing that I'm not even hungry anymore. But mainly, exercise. At least 30 minutes a day.

Mama to two boys and a girl.
#16 of 23 Old 04-22-2007, 08:49 PM

Oh, I really need and want to lose weight. Good thread!! I'd like to join.
I'm still up probably 25-30 from having ds (he's 15 months tomorrow so I know I don't have any excuses) I gained over 50 with him. Ideally we'd like to start ttc Aug/Sept. so I really would love to have at least 20 lbs off by then. I've *kinda tried* to get back in shape off and on for a few months but nothing that has really lasted. In the past I have found that exercise is they key to being at a good weight for me and portion control. I generally eat healthy.
So, now that it's warm I'm hoping I'll get into a exercise schedule. I guess it's an added bonus that I live in a place where I can walk everywhere. Plus, I just got a bike trailer and there's a great bike path within blocks of our house---I guess I really don't have any excuses . I have been exercising more that it's nice but I've also been battling a cold : for over a week now! It's so hard to be motivated when you just don't feel your best.
So, let's check in and get going. Let's do it!!

Mama to two kiddos on the go!
#17 of 23 Old 04-22-2007, 10:36 PM

I would love to lose about 30 pounds total...
I gained about 45 with DS and dropped 25 right away but since he was 4 months old nothing has come off me (I've even gained a few ). So now that he's over 13mos old I figure it's time to get serious about shedding the pounds. I had high BP my last pregnancy which I'm sure was due to me being heavy. DH and I would love to try for #2 this fall/winter and I would love to feel great my next pregnancy. I am 183 pounds and I would love to lose around 30 to put me around 150-153. Thankyou for a great thread!

Crunchy Mama to 3 boys bikenew.gif'06  and superhero.gif '08  h20homebirth.gif  and  moon.gif '10  uc.jpg

And a brand new baby  babygirl.gif born 4/12 uc.jpg

joy.gifOur family is now complete  chicken3.gif

#18 of 23 Old 04-26-2007, 05:17 PM

I'm in! We will start TTC in July, and I'm working on the last 10 lbs. BakingMama, we also have recently purchased a bike trailer (our kiddos are only a couple of weeks apart - DS was born on 2/8/06), and my goal is at least one 45 minute to hour bike ride a week. My husband and I used to do WW and had great success on it, but I can't seem to find the time to count points and take a shower in the same day - everybody in my life voted on taking the shower So, I'm pulling some of the principles for WW - eating at least 5 fruits and vegetable a day, drinking lots of water, sweets and fried foods to a bare minimum and going from there. I've lost 2.5 lbs in the last two weeks, so if I can keep on that trends, we'll be right on target. BurtsGirls, thanks for the thread!
#19 of 23 Old 05-01-2007, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

You guys are so welcome. So how is everyone doing? I've actually gained 4 pounds back but I did go on a cruise. I'm back now and my head is down and back to my diet. Time for some serious weight loss. Hope everyone is having a great week!

-Rachel

#20 of 23 Old 05-02-2007, 01:11 AM

I am doing ok. I am actually a little concerned with my cycles...and wondering if they'll be regular (and if I will even be Oing) by the time I want to ttc. I know nursing is playing a huge role, but dd was 2 in Feb and I thought for sure my cycles would have evened out by now (they came back at 13 months pp). I am on cd 42 today and while I've had some wet cf I haven't Oed according to my temps. My last cycle was 50 days without O.
#21 of 23 Old 05-02-2007, 01:17 AM

Subbing!

We aren't sure exactly when we are going to start ttc (oooh! Scary writing that!! Scary good!) but it will probably be the end of this year or next summer (dh is a CPA and we try to avoid a tax season birth).

At any rate! I have about 38 pounds to lose and I am slowly gearing myself up to do it. I need to get active which shouldn't be a problem now that it's nice out and I also need to -ahem!- adjust my diet. Sugar was my constant companion during my hibernation this winter. I've found myself to be quite addicted, just tonight I was eating chocolate chips...straight up!

My goals for this week are to:
-drink 8 8oz. glasses of water a day
-no fast food
-start exercising

I know they are wimpy, but I've got to start somewhere.

treehugger.gif Bex -- Single, hardworking mama to reading.gif DS (11), love.gif DD (7), & flowerkitty.gif Lars (13)
#22 of 23 Old 05-02-2007, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msumomma View Post
I count calories using fitday.com to track, I use sparkpeople.com for their support boards and teams, and I exercise about 5 times a week.

Here is the link to my sparkpage if you're interested:

http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage.asp?id=msumomma
HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!

You look AMAZING!!!! :

Wowzas, you have done *awesome*!! Your sparkpage has totally sparked my motivation! Thanks, mama!!

treehugger.gif Bex -- Single, hardworking mama to reading.gif DS (11), love.gif DD (7), & flowerkitty.gif Lars (13)
#23 of 23 Old 05-03-2007, 12:46 AM

Thanks Bex!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page