Dingos - it's May - come tiptoe (or run, walk, or wog) through the tulips with us - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 1537 Old 05-07-2007, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
should we have some fun and see how far we progress week to week and month to month and how long we stick to it? for our abs? anyone taking before and after pictures?

I'm creating a spreadsheet to keep track of my progress, but I thought it would be fun for us all to be involved.

I held the elbow plank for 1:08 and 1:09 this morning, and hoping to try two more times today. I really felt it in my back too.

I held v pose for 41 seconds and hope for another go later.

I want to also get my base line for push ups and sit ups (or should I stick to crunches?), and some yoga to stretch out from the race.

eksmoms~I know you traveled this weekend, so that might throw exercising off a little this week. let me know what your goals are so I can cheer you on!!
#302 of 1537 Old 05-07-2007, 10:25 AM

hahahahah snort snort

So I decided to try the plank....hahhahahahaha 14 seconds!
#303 of 1537 Old 05-07-2007, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post
should we have some fun and see how far we progress week to week and month to month and how long we stick to it? for our abs? anyone taking before and after pictures?

I'm creating a spreadsheet to keep track of my progress, but I thought it would be fun for us all to be involved.
I'm going to keep track of my progress, but there is no way in Hades I'm posting a picture of my "before"!

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
#304 of 1537 Old 05-07-2007, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Morning! I was around this weekend only to catch up on Sunday but no time to craft a post. Today I'm swamped too so I may not get the post that's in my head out onto the screen.

I'll try to type more later ... so much to say ...
#305 of 1537 Old 05-07-2007, 11:10 AM

Hi All!! Got back from the business trip yesterday. Just now catching up. Kids survived, I survived. Heck I might even leave them again someday .

Congrats Racers!!

Jo- Sorry to hear about the kitty.:

BBM- Go run!!!! My goals for this week are to run run run run, bike bike, and a swim. I need to run after work to get back in the groove. 3 miles tonight, I will do it! I ran everyday I was gone, even a 10.5 miler on Saturday by accident(ooppss forgot to take the map and got lost).

Must get caught up with work:
#306 of 1537 Old 05-07-2007, 11:17 AM

Hey Schatz - soap is coming your way!
#307 of 1537 Old 05-07-2007, 11:22 AM

Hey 2bb! I did run believe it or not!!

Nice going on your runs! Most excellent!!

So what was your business trip for (my apologies if you said earlier in the thread and I missed it)?
#308 of 1537 Old 05-07-2007, 11:41 AM

hey, welcome back 2bbs! glad everything went well on both ends.

I have forgotten to say that I am SO in on the plank. I have got to do something about this belly. I might take b/a pics but not sure... : it's a little intimidating. I will try a timed plank sometime today too. scary.

I have a cold, but so far it's just kinda annoying and yucky, not flattening. So I may try to run tomorrow vs today. BTW, we dingoes are totally cycling together bc after last week of PMS stuff I have AF and feel better. sorry Mandy about your bad one...that is terrible and I hope the homeopath can help.

hi Sally!! how fun that you're so close! and I'm really glad you got your birth plan where you want it in terms of providers (or not ) good for you. how is your dd doing now in terms of adjusting?

I may try a run later today but not sure bc of the cold. It is SO beautiful here today so at least a walk, and some yoga.
goals for the week:
M- Yoga/walk
T-4 miles
W-4 miles
R-3? may go to TN
F-3 if not on thurs
S- 10 miles (my mother's day present to myself)

take care mamas.
#309 of 1537 Old 05-07-2007, 11:54 AM
bec

I did :55 and 1:00 on the forearm plank today. I'll do it several times today. I'm also starting to plant! Hooray! I was only able to get a row of beans in before Abby needed to nurse and sleep, though. But, I'm hoping to get all my planting (well, most of it. I need to buy basil and tomatoe plants, yet) in today. And I want to do 3 miles this afternoon. Oh, and cook, and clean the house, wash teh diapers, mow the lawn. Oy! I should put the baby in the backpack and get moving!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#310 of 1537 Old 05-07-2007, 11:57 AM

Congratulations! Indi Mini runners!

SallyZ..nice belly...almost wish I had one (not really)!

bbm..your gardens sound so so nice.

We survived the weekend, but we are all paying for it today. Everyone is exhauseted.

I was out in the driveway yesterday and runner came by and we talked...we might run some together! She lives only a couple of streets over.

Tomorrow the agent caravan comes by the house so I need to get moving, whether I feel like it or not and make this house look clean like no one lives here!

I'm running only 2 miles on treadmill today.
#311 of 1537 Old 05-07-2007, 11:59 AM

Good morning! Welcome back to SallyZ and 2BBs -- very good to "hear" your voices.

Looks like another gorgeous day today. I have a lot of homework on the agenda and will be running two fun errands: 1) size 3 needles for my cardigan project upon my sister's more-knowledgeable recommendation, and 2) shoes and clips for my swanky new bike so I can actually take it for a ride soon.

I am sooooo darn sore all over.

Goals for the week... well, minimal, to be honest. I want to make sure I'm recovered. I need to buy new shoes -- has anyone tried Ryka? There's a pair on Sierra Trading Post that sound like a good shoe for me for only $45. If I run once this week I'll be happy. I'd like to do a bike ride of decent length, too, but first I need to find a good training plan. I might dig up the old Sally Edwards sprint tri plan from Danskin.com.

OK, I'm rambling and i need to start my first round of studying soon. Have lovely days!

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#312 of 1537 Old 05-07-2007, 12:16 PM

Plank Report: Held for 1:34. I think I could have gone to 1:40, but I'll leave a little more room for improvement ;-)

Oooof. I was shaking within 15 seconds, though. I'm surprised I went as long as I did.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#313 of 1537 Old 05-07-2007, 12:22 PM

GMM, That sounds miserable! Do you do rx's for your eczema, or do you try to stick to natural remedies? I have a friend with terrible eczema on her hands and she uses this Chinese creme called hu fu cream or something like that. It really helps her. When mine gets bad, I'm too wimpy to stick to natural stuff. I have a steroid ointment on hand. I hope the homeopath can help with those feelings!!!

I'd take a before picture. Even though my belly is so icky looking, it's way better than it was a year ago! I'm trying to embrace the ickiness. First I have to change my language, I know.

RM, I'm in for push-ups and crunches, too!

BBM, Just like me, you have lots of room for improvement! That's a good thing! We'll progress fast!

Megs, I want to see pictures of your cardigan!! I finally took a bunch of pictures last night of all my latest knitting projects. Now to get them on the blog. Sometimes it is such a chore. I bought my cycling shoes via ebay. It took two tries because I didn't know exactly what I was doing the first time. I resold the first pair. The second work perfectly! $25!

I need to type out goals, but I've run out of time! Tomorrow, for sure, I'm going to try my first speed workout. I have to learn how to do all those 8x400 thingies that make no sense to me at all! I'm going to take Oliver to the track with his bike. He'll love that.
#314 of 1537 Old 05-07-2007, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicocj View Post

: In sad news, my DCP is closing at the end of may, so we have to start the whole search process over again... part of me wishes I could stay home w/ DD, the selection of quality places near where we live is so minimal, but I do love my job, oh what to do.... :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs_BK View Post
Race Report... Bloomsday went OK. I dorked up starting my watch at the beginning, but luckily the race uses chips now so I will get an exact time when they're posted. I think (hope, pray, whatever) that I finished around 1:15. It is a very hilly, difficult course and there are soooooo many people on the road it can be a nightmare for the first couple of miles just to get around all the walkers/slower runners. They've improved how they start the waves since the last time I ran it, though, so that helped open up the road a bit at first. I'm still praying I ran fast enough to get into the next higher start group next year.

Great! I love hearing the race reports!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylAnn View Post
Oh, Aurora, you will!! You could sign up for a 5k for the end of your c25k to get started. Go, Aurora!!!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppywise View Post
i am back from derby - it was incredible. i got to hang out in the barn with street sense after the race! he's an awesome horse and i was humbled by his beauty and strength and speed.
Sounds amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonikitaUT View Post
I ran tonight!

I did wk 2 workout1 today!

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#315 of 1537 Old 05-07-2007, 01:00 PM

I'd take before/after pics. I've never posted pics on MDC before, so if anyone has the laymen's terms for doing it, I'd appreciate it!

I did an ab routine last night and at the end of it, I did plank for :58. My whole body was quivering and I can feel it this morning.

I'm planning on running this evening ~ try to do some quick intervals.

Bec ~ happy planting!! Dh has been outside in the 'garden' (it's very small now) planting seeds for the past several days. This is our first year at it and we've had good success so far, considering how horrible our soil was when we started.

Dd and I were out in the front yard all morning pulling plants out of one of our flower beds. I'm planning on going to the nursery tomorrow to get some plants to put back in some time during the week. Gardening really is quite a work out!! I'm trying not to convince myself that it's all the workout I need today and I don't need to worry about running this evening!!
#316 of 1537 Old 05-07-2007, 01:08 PM

Official Race Results from yesterday from the bloomsday site:
Finish Time: 1:17:16
Overall Place: 8,478 out of 39,382
Ran with a pace of 10:21 per mile
The average pace for 28-year-olds was 14:20
Placed 177th among people the same age
Placed 3,032nd among people from Spokane, WA
Placed 6,306th among people from the State of Washington
Placed 1st among people with the same last name
Placed 3,148th among females
Placed 82nd out of 416 among 28-year-old females

I'm mostly satisfied. I really wanted 1:15 or under so I could start in a next higher group next year, but a 10:21 pace for me is very good right now. I think I could do that half if I took walk breaks (which I did not do yesterday).

#317 of 1537 Old 05-07-2007, 01:34 PM

subbing
#318 of 1537 Old 05-07-2007, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranamama View Post
subbing
Hiya! What's the latest?

#319 of 1537 Old 05-07-2007, 01:52 PM

not a lot of running but I have had some sessions with a personal trainer, which causes week long soreness in a different part of my body every time

I'm hoping to get an exercise schedule that is regular set up

Great run on Bloomsday! I lived in Spokane for a couple yrs
#320 of 1537 Old 05-07-2007, 01:55 PM

Quote:

laughup That's funny! Do you get a plaque for that?

You did a great job! Way to go!

The sickness has taken over our house. Lydia was pukey yesterday. Dh, Jojo and I all have the nasty thick snot. : and feel cruddy. Why is that when you have a cold you generally feel OK during the day, but horrible in the evenings, nights and mornings??? : It is going to be challenging to get runs in this week between sickness and end-of-the-year school and other activities stuff.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#321 of 1537 Old 05-07-2007, 02:09 PM

HBM..I hope you feel like running on Wednesday! I hope you all feel better soon.

I'm not even sick, but I'm having a major pity party for myself today. It's AF! She's a big fat meanie! I'm ready to take my family and go live in Valhalla! Instead I will finish up the cleaning the house. Made some major progress downstairs and now it's time for upstairs.

OK...so definetly better do that run right after carpool!
#322 of 1537 Old 05-07-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylAnn View Post
Shoot Calico. I hope you find something! That deadline is coming up fast.
I know!! I mean, I know that 2 weeks is standard notice, but I really wish that she had given us a little more of a heads up - there is an AP mama 2 miles from me, but she just filled her last spot last week - AAGHG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonikitaUT View Post
I'm going to keep track of my progress, but there is no way in Hades I'm posting a picture of my "before"!
True dat!!

Quote:

too funny! I was going to ask if you got a special medal for that but HBM beat me to it! But, WTG on the race, it sounds like a super tough course! No experience w/ Ryka, I love my Brooks...

SallyZ- that sounds like a good plan, I hope it all works out

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#323 of 1537 Old 05-07-2007, 02:31 PM

Megs, those are some good results! Congrats on a good race (and for placing first in your last name group )

I just held a plank for a whopping 21 seconds. Abs? What abs.

Rode with a friend for 14 miles this morning, lots of hills, good workout.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#324 of 1537 Old 05-07-2007, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama View Post
Hey 2bb! I did run believe it or not!!

Nice going on your runs! Most excellent!!

So what was your business trip for (my apologies if you said earlier in the thread and I missed it)?
This was my annual industry meeting(Jewelry Industry Distribution Association). For the past 5 years I have brought my kids b/c they were nursing or cosleeping etc. This year no one was anymore so I decided to take a leap and 3 whole days to myself. It was so worth it. I am exhausted and still nursing quite the hangover from the last night. But it was so worth it. Kids had an excellent time with their dad and grandparents. I even wrangled a good industry friend into a race in September. I will be doing "The Great Race" 10k in Pittsburgh. Apparently my challenge to him was all that he needed to get his running shoes back on.

Must run tonight. Must run tonight!
#325 of 1537 Old 05-07-2007, 04:06 PM

grnmntmama: Guildford is not that far from us we are just above London whereas Guildford is below, we must try meet up if possible. I think seeing a homeopath about the pms and eczema sounds like a good idea.
Oh and now i live in the UK and not SA i can order some of you stuff, will be bugging you for the website address soon, i can now save it and know i can use it YIPEE, i have been dying to try the chocolate soap, oh and what was the one that was supposed to kick start the love life? I remember a whole lot of you guys ordeing that one- what is the verdict? I am so not in the mood all the time poor dh, if it helps i think that will be on the order list.

Mamabeth: thanks for asking about dd, she ask everyday to go back to her house and to see her grandparents dog etc (we used to live on the same property as my parents) she is not sobbing every night about it any more she just mentions it all the time. She now has the idea that Nanny, Bumpa ( my dad) the dog Stanley and the cat must all come on the aeroplane here. Shame it is hard for her to understand why she can't see the people she loves. BUT the one good positive is we are near my sister and they get on SO well. If dh is not here for the birth she will come to be with Rachel during the birth. I am glad she does have someone else to form a relationship with.

Saw the London marathon on tv a few weeks ago and am really motivated now to do it. Also living here the tickets to USA are much cheaper so who knows a race in the states may be in my future. Well any excuse to come and meet some Dingo running mamas
#326 of 1537 Old 05-07-2007, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post

I held the elbow plank for 1:08 and 1:09 this morning, and hoping to try two more times today. I really felt it in my back too.

I held v pose for 41 seconds and hope for another go later.

I want to also get my base line for push ups and sit ups (or should I stick to crunches?), and some yoga to stretch out from the race.
ok, i held elbow plank for 1:45 today. the other day, i did 45 seconds of boat. those can be my baselines. now, for push ups and sit ups, are we doing in a row, or sets? i have a pic from when we were at a water park recently, i'll scan it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranamama View Post
subbing
:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy View Post
It is going to be challenging to get runs in this week between sickness and end-of-the-year school and other activities stuff.
yeah, i'm banking on not running today and tomorrow, bc i have to rush home for queen itches-a-lot. i *may be able to get mil to watch them on wednesday night, so i can run the first of the summer series 5Ks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
I feel that I am already a bad buddy -- Kate~mom, did you run this weekend? I did not, but I did some serious cleaning today. Not quite the same, but it sure did tire me out.
yes, ma'am. 5 on sat, 11.8 on sunday. planning on nothing today and tomorrow (other than aforementioned ab work ), possibly 7 with warm up and cool down on wed if i can get mil over here, and 4-5 thursday and friday mornings.
#327 of 1537 Old 05-07-2007, 04:56 PM

Hey mamas,
can I join you ladies?
bit of history,I used to love to run when I lived in London.I moved here six years ago got married and had my first babe withing a year,ptl cut short my running ,then severe ppd made me not want to do anything.then i got help and started exercising again but i never got back into running.got pg with 2nd babe.ptl AGAIN!! stopped,moved to CT and really fell off the exercise wagon .did almost nothing for two years.
moved here to nj in feb,started going to the gym,got back in to running,all beit on the treadmill (i need the little one watched while i work out and i can't leave the gym when he is in there in case they need me)
so I am enjoying my runs so much....I entered the NY marathon lottery: : OMG what was i thinking??there are days when I hope against hope that I don't get in (i know I can defer it but don't want to) and there are other days,like last thursday when I ran 10k (for the first time ever in my life),in 58mins that I think,YES I CAN DO IT,i hope i get a spot
so I need some other mamas for motivation and chit chat,
what are dingos?anything else i should know?
thanks for listening/reading..so..can I join...??

Natasha,Mum to many.
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill
#328 of 1537 Old 05-07-2007, 05:09 PM

Hi Natasha!

Welcome! That would be cool to get a spot in the lottery! These mamas are good for motivation!

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#329 of 1537 Old 05-07-2007, 05:09 PM

Hi Natasha! You sound a lot like so many of us. We all have our running ups and downs. It's especially helpful to have a group like this to cheer you on when you're getting back into it. The running love is contagious!

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#330 of 1537 Old 05-07-2007, 05:23 PM

Hey, natasha! You'll love this group. I've only been part of it for a few months, but instantly felt connected to and inspired by these women.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page