Dingos - it's May - come tiptoe (or run, walk, or wog) through the tulips with us - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 1537 Old 05-08-2007, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
when I asked about the before and after pics, I hadn't thought about sharing them, just that we would have a record of our progress, something tangable (like keeping track of numbers). Although, I would love if we were comfortable enough with each other to share. The after is going to outshine the before ladies!

thought I would wait until today to go for an easy run, although went to boy scouts as a family last night since we were pickign up trash around the school as our project. The boys and I had sooooo much fun!! After the trash pick up , we let them run around the playground. I had so much energy, I started playing tag with my 7yo, and all the boys there joined in (some from our group and some not). I was running around after the kids, up and down the playground equipment and all around for almost a half hour. By the end, most of the kids were tuckered out and had stopped for a break. I was "it" the whole time, and I had the best time.

So, I may still go for an easy few today, not sure yet. Got to bed late and up late, my step son is coming over for dinner and I need to clean the house a little.

Can't decide how to do my plank/pushup/situp/vsit stuff. three times a week, or every other day or daily??

gotta jet,
Lisa
#362 of 1537 Old 05-08-2007, 09:07 AM

Arg.... not only did I wake up this morning with massively sore abs (from my paltry 30 sec. planks yesterday), but I just tried to do them again and made a whole 19 seconds before collapsing in agony. I think it's going to take a lot more than a month to get me to 2 minutes. I've got the front cover of Runners World on my desk to motivate me. I'm still wondering how she got away with no extra skin after 6 kids though. I've got plenty after only 3.

Tonight I'm doing speedwork, 8 x 400 at the track. That always guarantees a day off for the next day!

Tomorrow we're heading to Bloomington, IN to buy a house !!!! Actually it's a double because we haven't sold our house here in Illinois yet. Two mortgages ~ GAH!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#363 of 1537 Old 05-08-2007, 09:09 AM

Sigh. I have to go back to work today. I'd really rather bask in my "I ran a half marathon" bubble a few more days.

I feel pretty good it turns out. My legs are still a little sore - especially going downstairs or when I go to sit down, but no actual pain, no joint issues. I think I'll run a little tomorrow. I think I'm going to take it easy a couple weeks, then use a runners world 6 week program focusing on my July 4th 5K.

I've been reading along, but no time to post some personals. Hope you are all getting in great runs!
#364 of 1537 Old 05-08-2007, 09:57 AM

Jen, I just wanted to say that I am so proud of you! I read your race report post on my Blackberry sometime over the weekend. Just thinking about it is making me smile! Congratulations!!! Try to hang on to the post-race glow even as you go back to work...

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#365 of 1537 Old 05-08-2007, 09:59 AM

here's my 'poor me' report for Tuesday. eczema hands do not appeare to be noticably better. in fact, it seems to still be expanding. skin is getting pretty dry and is cracked and bleeding in some places. making me miserable. the good news is that it's starting to look awful, and the more awful it looks the closer i'm getting to the second half of the rash. i'm supposed to lead a women's mountain bike ride this evening which will not be good for my hands, but can't get out of it now. i'll be meeting with my homeopath on Thursday.

last night i couldn't fall asleep because i was crying about our upcoming dcp change. she told me when her last day will be before the new baby and as far as picking back up post baby it's 'we'll play it by ear.' i'm so sad because i feel like ds will be losing his brother. they've been so tight since ds was 3 months and dcp's ds was 9 months. it's also like ds will be losing his other mother, and it just makes me so sad. and i'm so bitterly jealous of her and all of my other friends who can opt not to work and who don't understand the depth and gravity of my emotions about this. my heart and my philosophy says that i should be home with ds, but if we want to eat i need to work. and i just don't want him in a big center. i want him in a home environment to get the kind of care that i would give him if i had that option. so anyway, i was crying a lot last night about it and i'm sure it's stress and anxiety that's contributing to my current state of rash. the worst is that they've become our friends, but i'm having trouble envisioning myself hanging out with them or any of our other smug, SAH-parent friends and their happy little playdates and child care swaps.:
#366 of 1537 Old 05-08-2007, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
mandy -
#367 of 1537 Old 05-08-2007, 11:23 AM

Mandy, that just sucks.

I am waiting on some paypal and then maybe going to do an errand run to the PO and grocery store. we are out of ds's yogurt and my coffee creamer, both of which are near-emergencies around here.

oh and I have two tips from the past few days, for free, for my dingoes:
1. Rinse your diva cup in HOT water before you re-insert it. makes it lots easier, and no leaks.
2. If you're going to add stuff to the no-knead bread, don't add sweet stuff. Blech.

take care mamas.
#368 of 1537 Old 05-08-2007, 11:24 AM

on a happier note, y'all have me planking away. I can hold it about 45 seconds right now (note that ipods have a clock with second timer). and the view down my shirt of my sad, saggy little boobies and poochy tummy is priceless
#369 of 1537 Old 05-08-2007, 11:45 AM

grnmtnmama
#370 of 1537 Old 05-08-2007, 12:08 PM

grnmtnmama ~ I'm so sorry the past week has been rough.
I've got the same world-class view down my shirt while planking. If that doesn't keep me motivated, I really don't know what will!!

Runningmommy ~ I love workouts like that at the park or in the yard!! Plus, it just makes dc *beam* when their mother is running around with them and their friends being 'it' the whole time!!

Good luck with your house-buying tomorrow, JayGee.

I had a nice long run this morning. By myself!! I want to start getting up earlier so I can go longer. Amazingly, 40 mins just doesn't seem long enough anymore!! I feel like I can keep going when I'm finished. I think I can thank you ladies for that ~ my running has been more consistent since joining this thread than it has been since dd was born 3 years ago!! I'd like to go for at least 45 or 50 mins. on my week day morning runs.

Did the plank this morning for 1:26. I'm still sore from the ab routine I did two days ago with a few planks at the end of that. Making progress...
#371 of 1537 Old 05-08-2007, 12:11 PM

Mandy -- ugh. I can totally see myself having that same conversation down the road. It's such a tough decision, where you leave your precious cargo for care and nurturing every day. I got nothing but empathy for you. I hope something as good or better works out soon.

GORGEOUS day today. I got my shoes and cleats yesterday, so today I want to learn how to clip in and out of my pedals and take a short ride. I will plank in a bit. I also need to take a picture of my (tiny still) swatch for the cardigan and post it on my new knit blog. My sister posted the other day -- she's so smart & funny. I *heart* my sister.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#372 of 1537 Old 05-08-2007, 12:36 PM

RM, Thank you so much!!

JayGee, will you tell me about how you do your speedwork? I'm making my first attempt this morning. All I have as a tool is my stopwatch, so I'm not sure how to calculate it. I'm going to stop worrying about it and just do it because that seems to be how I learn.

GMM, What do you do for your hands? I'm so sorry about your dcp situation. Mamabeth said it right. It really sucks.
#373 of 1537 Old 05-08-2007, 01:00 PM

Mandy, That does suck.

I am having an Aaahhhh moment right now; I was scheduled for a conference call, and I was not happy about it, and at the last minute one of the conf. attendees had an emergency. I'm not happy he has an emergency--he's one of my favorite colleagues and apparently it's something with a big client--but I was freaking trying to figure out how I'd deal with dd and the conf call, and my phone has been really buzzy and yucky lately, etc. etc. And now, I want to get into the system and do some work, and it appears a server is down. Hm. I'm faced with choices. That said, I think I am waiting to run until after dh comes home.
#374 of 1537 Old 05-08-2007, 01:17 PM

1jooj, I hope something works out for you! complicated choices indeed.

I just ran four, slowly, very snottily. is that a word? And I did the plank for 51 seconds, which is longer than I thought. dh tried it too and held it for 1:20, but it was hard for him even not having a diastasis and 2 c/s. are we doing it on our elbows or in a push-up position? what's the difference?
#375 of 1537 Old 05-08-2007, 01:49 PM
bec

I'm doing elbows. I did 30 seconds this morning, until Abby jumped on my head. I'm not holding that against myself, though.

RR: Very frustrated! I could only run about 22 minutes, then pooped out. I got just over 1.5 miles (maybe 1.75). Is this an AF thing? It seems every month, right before she arrives is such a hard slog.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#376 of 1537 Old 05-08-2007, 01:54 PM

Hey everyone! I just wanted to pop in to say I graduated on Saturday and it feels amazing.

I've been lifting and spinning still, but not much running to report.

This week we are packing our things and heading back "home" on Monday (5/14)!!!

I hope all of you are doing great. I am going to work on catching up now.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#377 of 1537 Old 05-08-2007, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylAnn View Post
JayGee, will you tell me about how you do your speedwork? I'm making my first attempt this morning. All I have as a tool is my stopwatch, so I'm not sure how to calculate it. I'm going to stop worrying about it and just do it because that seems to be how I learn.
CherylAnn, my speedwork isn't too scientific either. I do my 400s at a pace that feels like my 5K race pace, about 8 min/mile or so and then slow WAY down for my 200s to recover. When I do 200s, I sprint, all out, on the straightaways and slow way down on the curves to recover. I just got today's workout from my coach and I'm scheduled to do:

800 warmup
3 x 400 with 200 rest interval
1 x 800 with 400 rest interval
2 x 400 with 200 rest interval
800 cool down

I'd really like to get a heart rate monitor so I can better gauge my speedwork. Have fun with yours today!

#378 of 1537 Old 05-08-2007, 03:07 PM

I just made a batch of soap, which I haven't done in years. I have had the supplies, and I finally figured why not now? Plus, that way I know that it is fragrance free, which isn't nearly as much fun as playing with scents, but what can I do.

Ok, and now, I am actually going running!!!! Must scoot.
#379 of 1537 Old 05-08-2007, 03:31 PM

I did 5.3 miles this morning. I did have my watch, but decided to just run-kind of let the stroller "pull me" wherever it wanted to go So I ended up on a trail that I have never been on-it was beautiful-nice and wooded with the sun peaking through the very tops of the tree canopy. K had fun too!

CherylAnn-I.LOVE.your.clogs. They are absolutely super duper comfy looking-I am jealous of your feet

I planked for 1:15 and 1:17 last night. Must work up to more.

grnmtnmama-my view is hideous as well-With the diastasis-my belly just pools its awful-it looks SO much better with me just sitting. I am guessing its the diastasis that causes it to completely pool while in that posistion, does anyone know?
Also on the dcp situation.

Mamabeth-I am doing it on my forearms-I think that is way more of an overall core workout than on straight arm push up style. (and creamer and dd's yogurt are also emergencies in our house: )

Also wanted to add that it is definitely getting to be "so long skeeter" season here-I broke out Mandy's spray this weekend-love the stuff-it really does work well
#380 of 1537 Old 05-08-2007, 03:32 PM

Grnmtnmama- I so empathize with you on the daycare issue. I'd love to be home with them. But we also have to eat. I am lucky to have a sitter who has become like family. Ideally I would have them here at work with me and a nanny to take them to the park and the museum etc. A girl can dream.

I ran 4.5 miles this morning. Temp was perfect. I still cannot run as fast in the morning as I do in the evening but at least it is done. I was totally going to bail and go back to sleep but ds woke up two minutes after my alarm went off so I had to get out of bed to settle him back down. No excuse after that.

I soooo need to join in this plank exercising. I was doing it faithfully during tri season last summer/fall and haven't done it since. It really does make a difference. A solid core also makes running easier on the back, knees, etc...
#381 of 1537 Old 05-08-2007, 04:02 PM

JayGee, thanks for posting your workout. I was doing 400's with 400 rest intervals. The training schedule said 2 min. rest intervals, but I wanted to get in a full 4 miles. Do you think it's okay to do longer rest intervals or does that defeat the purpose?

JenLove, congratulations!!! Woohoo!!! I bet that feels great!!!

Pumpkinseed, the pattern is really easy. It's from Fiber Trends. I made all three kids some, too. Those photos are yet to be edited and posted, but soon! They picked out their colors and they are all quite bright and cheery.

Okay, so my RR:
I warmed up for 1.75 miles. I had figured that my 400's needed to be at 2:17. My first one was 2:14, second was 2:12, third was 2:07 and fourth was 2:05. Each time, I thought I was getting slower! What a surprise. Altogether I did 4 miles and my ending time was 44:13. I have lost so much speed! I have settled into this kind of loping pace that really feels easy and like I could run forever. I need to shake up my internal pace-o-meter. If I can do a 1/4 mile in 2:05, I should be able to get my 5k and 10k paces much faster than I've been in the past. Before training for the marathon, my pace for a 3-5 mile run was closing in on 9:30's. Now I'm between 11 and 12 min. So, I'm really hoping that these speed workouts help. On Thursday I have to figure out how to do a tempo run. Hmm. I need advice. I need strength in my legs, so I was thinking of doing a hill run on Thursdays. But, I also want to get faster. Which should I do? Or can they be combined? Will more strength make me faster anyway? TIA!
#382 of 1537 Old 05-08-2007, 04:30 PM

Hi Dingos!
Just checking in from Orcas Island library. Very beautiful place to check in from I must say! I really really like San Juan Island, not so hot for Lopez (too small and quiet for me) and today we're checking out Orcas. Property is sooo $$$ here though. That's kind of a bummer but I'm still imagining doing some school-year renting to get the real feel. We're also heading down to the Olympic peninsula to check that area out. It seems more affordable but I didn't do any research so I have no clue about schools/jobs/people etc.

I actually have real running to report too!!! We all had to sprint through DFW airport to make our connection! Arrived after they'd closed the doors but decided to take pity on us and let us on.
Other than that we've done lots and lots of walking and it feels great! I soo wish I was a better size for hopping on a bike to do some bike touring here, but I'm just a little over the limit these days!
Okay, time for more sightseeing! Miss you all!

Penelope

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#383 of 1537 Old 05-08-2007, 04:42 PM

Hey, Penelope! Glad you're in the states. Just wondering if you got the dipes I sent up there?

#384 of 1537 Old 05-08-2007, 04:43 PM

Hi Plady!!! Glad you are having a good time. Still hoping we might hook up.
#385 of 1537 Old 05-08-2007, 04:43 PM

Mandy - I'm so sorry. I really doubt the SAHMs are smug about it, it probably just feels that way because you want it so badly and they take it for granted. I hope your hands get better soon. And I hope that the bike shop takes off and you start rolling in dough and can bliss out at home with DS. But you can't ever quit making your soap, because we NEED it, woman!

CherylAnn - Is it a pattern you buy on Fiber Trends' website, or is it in a book or something? I want to make some of those for DH! Yours look great!

Knitting Question - How many of you actually block socks? I mean, do you just keep blocking them after every wear/wash? I finished my second monkey sock this morning and am wondering if blocking them is even worth it. Me? Lazy? Noooooo. : Does superwash wool even block?

PL - So I don't get it.. how can we go for days without any accidents and then suddenly have a bunch? I wish I could understand. The worst is that DD peed the bed at some time during the night, but either slept through it or decided not to tell us and just go back to sleep... so she got up at her regular time this morning wearing soaked PJ's and went pee in the potty. And now she has diaper rash. The bed was almost dry, so she had to have done it hours and hours before she got up. We're still struggling a bit with pooping, but hanging in. She seems to have to poop one turd into her panties to get the ball rolling, and then she'll finish on the potty. (Sorry for TMI. I know.) Pumpkinseed - I did a search on the toddler thread for withholding poop and found that there were still 4 and 5 year olds who were demanding a diaper to poop in. Oy. I'm all for helping them out, but you don't want it to become a habit, kwim? :

Today's plan is lifting weights for shoulders, and another little run tonight.

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
#386 of 1537 Old 05-08-2007, 04:48 PM

Monica, I bought it at a yarn shop. I'm sure the pattern is available online, too. I could look later...I need to run now. I bought the adult one at one store and the kid one at another store. Oliver's are the only kid one's though. Naomi's feet are bigger than mine and Sophia wears a 5-6 in women's. I never block socks. My kids all backtracked a bit after PL. I think they, maybe subconsciously, want to remember what it was like or something. Then, they all moved into permanence with only occasional accidents that were truly accidents.
#387 of 1537 Old 05-08-2007, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonikitaUT;8070384
PL - So I don't get it.. how can we go for days without any accidents and then suddenly have a bunch? I wish I could understand. The worst is that DD peed the bed at some time during the night, but either slept through it or decided not to tell us and just go back to sleep... so she got up at her regular time this morning wearing soaked PJ's and went pee in the potty. And now she has diaper rash. :( The bed was almost dry, so she had to have done it hours and hours before she got up. We're still struggling a bit with pooping, but hanging in. She seems to have to poop one turd into her panties to get the ball rolling, and then she'll finish on the potty. (Sorry for TMI. I know.) [B
Pumpkinseed[/B] - I did a search on the toddler thread for withholding poop and found that there were still 4 and 5 year olds who were demanding a diaper to poop in. Oy. I'm all for helping them out, but you don't want it to become a habit, kwim? :
Oy-yea- I think the whole thing is a process-one step forward, two steps back. K is in dipes only at night-she is completely dry during naps now-never was before PL, just wet a few times and then figured it out. She is still in her crib-so I don't think I will do panties at night until she transitions to a bed-not sure when that will be? She is still perfectly content in her crib: I bring it up every once in a while, and she says-I have my bed, I don't need another one? I am not pushing it. When did Livi move to a bed, if I remember she was also in a crib for a bit? She likes playing on her friends beds, but that's it-it doesn't tempt her at all-but as we have learned-she could care less what other people do or think-she is not a kid that is swayed by "don't you want to do X, like Susie"- she looks at you with this "no, why would i care" look I think I am going to continue to offer the dipes this week and move to stickers next week for poop. I said that I wasn't going to bribe, but I think it might be coming to that I know she can poop on the toilet she did it all last week with hesitation, but did it-then it was on Friday I think that she just started flat out refusing and then started witholding-so i started offering her the dipes. Now I am asking her if she wants to try-she is still requesting the dipes-but is now pooping next to the toilet, not in another room, its a start, I guess? We will see by the end of the week. Sorry to bore all of you with the poop talk
#388 of 1537 Old 05-08-2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
Hey, Penelope! Glad you're in the states. Just wondering if you got the dipes I sent up there?
likewise, did you receive my variety pack? :
#389 of 1537 Old 05-08-2007, 05:37 PM

PLers - it took about 6 months until K decided to poop in the potty. at first, when peeing in the potty came really easily to him, we were pretty pushy in encouraging him to poop. but it kinda become a little issue so we just backed off and let him lead the way. that meant pooping in diapers for another 6 months. right after his third birthday he switched to pooping in the potty all by himself.

Thanks for all the support on the dcp issue. With work meetings i managed to forget that anxiety for a whole two hours. hopefully i can keep it going.

Socks - i don't block.
#390 of 1537 Old 05-08-2007, 05:52 PM

mandy - I just had to post and say mama I know what you are going through! I have been finding myself in tears multiple times this weekend/week over leaving our DCP and splitting up the kids there. Nora and the little boys there are the same age and are best friends, so I can only imagine for your DS, since he has been there longer....

Of course it didn't make it better to find out that DCP is leaving to go be a private nanny to 2 doctors - her own car, cell phone, private expense account, credit card, etc.... : No way we could compete w/ that!

I interviewed one lady yesterday, and she was super nice, but she has between 5-10 kids and they stay in one room about 12x12 w/ a TV blaring YUCK!

but I have another interview today or tomorrow w/ a family-run in home day care that sounds promising. This is so stressful and creates so much mommy guilt for me...

okay, sorry for the vent hijacking.

will run 3 mi tonite!

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page