Dingos - it's May - come tiptoe (or run, walk, or wog) through the tulips with us - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#421 of 1537 Old 05-09-2007, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bec - I could not agree with you more! I hate to see any division among mothers, and also hate to see mamas beating themselves up for not meeting some ideal - either way.

I have to go to what might be a contentious morbidity and mortality review today - wish me luck!
#422 of 1537 Old 05-09-2007, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
mamabeth - thinking of you

I got out tehre this morning - I walked a little over 5 km with 4 stints of running in there. Nothing like what I was doing a year ago, but at least I am moving. I see the doctor on Friday to re-visit my asthma prescriptions.
#423 of 1537 Old 05-09-2007, 11:55 AM

Shanti, I am sorry you are suffering so much from your asthma, but how great how persistent you are to get running again!

to all suffering from work/daycare issues. We have the issue that we have a preschool that we like, but are having trouble finding the $$ to pay for it. So we need to work more, but then need childcare to be able to do that. :

minimunklemama, my Dh also got me a nano in support of my running, as a surprise. With the nike running chip, which is cool.

I am listening to NPR -- a discussion on some churches who have made themselves sanctuaries for illegal immigrants. Just heard a anti-immigrant caller and it just makes me How these people can be so short-sighted to think that if everyone just stayed home, we could all just be happy.... well, not to go off on a soapbox, but : Ok, now they have moved onto fairtrade coffee (which I am drinking as I write).

RR: I ran again! Much slower than yesterday, around 2.74 miles for 30 min, but got out there nonetheless. I need to get back to making this a habit. I put on some shorts to run yesterday, which have never been tight, and oh boy, I have my work cut out for me. Am planning on swimming while the kids have their swim lessons today. Must also get to the coop to get lots of veggies to support finding less of me.

OT: does anyone's kids take violin? I looked into suzuki violin lessons for the DDs. Can't afford privates, but hopefully something through the school.
#424 of 1537 Old 05-09-2007, 11:57 AM

2BB your trip sounds great, dd is just stopped co-sleeping and weaned during this pregnancy so although i have not gone away i enjoy the freedom, can't believe i am going back to the baby stage again!

Welcome Minimunklemama are you from the UK? I just moved here a month ago from South Africa

Talking of before and after pics i have been watching a series here called 'Look good naked' and it is all about what really women's bodies look like and ditching the magazine and media image of what a woman should be and loving what we look like with a little extra weight, the saggy bite etc etc. My hubby watched a bit and i said 'look that is what REAL women look like not skinny modles that boy grow up fantasizing about- leave the rest of us falling so far short. The follow one woman a week and help her to love and accept her body and make good underwear and fashion choices to help restore self confidence. They get her do to a very tasteful naked phot shoot and modle on a catwalk - and these are normal women not modles. So nice to see the real body given praise, especially those who have been pregnant and breastfeed where nothing is quite the same

Okay so you ladies inspire not only running but knitting, anyone got an easy, nice baby pattern?

Shanti: well done on finishing the assignment, i am sure it will get faster as you go along

On a good note our shipping arrived today at last, but dh also left on rotation at 4am so i have 70 something boxes to unpack alone- well actually with the help of a 2 yr old which is worse than alone.

So how long PP before i can do the plank, feeling left out

Any news on Pof6?

Pumpkinseed: we are having a anti nap day today too she has been singing for over an hour and i have been in and out so many times, today of all days when i need her to sleep so i can unpack :

grnmntmama, sounds like a huge loss to you and ds.

JenLove: congrats on the up coming graduation

Hi Plady: hows the pregnancy treating you?

DrJen: hope the M&M went well
#425 of 1537 Old 05-09-2007, 12:01 PM

Oh, forgot to mention, CherylAnn, I am actually planning on knitting a pair of fishnet thigh highs (for my sister). Not sure why I thought I should start with them, but But the Clessidra are still on my list!
#426 of 1537 Old 05-09-2007, 12:03 PM

Moonshine...I was listening to NPR the other day, dh left it on in the car, man I can get on a tear if I listen too long! Anyway your rant was reminding me of myself!
violin lessons..my dd was 6.5 in the fall and she started taking Suzuki..oh man..violin has got to be the hardest instrument to learn to play....our teacher was very impatient and just drove me nuts..so we quit..will pick it back up later..we will do piano this summer. I like the suzuki method but our teacher was just not realistic...had to 100% perfect all the time.

I'm going to talk to the principal today about dd's teacher. I need all the support I can get y'all!
#427 of 1537 Old 05-09-2007, 12:12 PM

Callie, you're gonna have to work harder than that to keep me accountable. I worked until 1 am two days in a row, got up by 6 am each day. The posters are at the printer and the poster session is this afternoon, so tonight I'll be sooooooo tempted by the ice cream in the freezer and several unwatched America's Test Kitchens on TiVo.

Good job on your run! : (sorry, Mr Broc kinda freaks me out)

DrJen, does that meeting pertain to a certain OB? I hope it goes well.

MommyWars: I'm a firm believer in taking women's decisions at face value without reading anything into it. If staying home suits the family best, then mom should stay home. If DAD staying home suits the family best, then he should stay home. Ditto with working. Personally, I'd drive my kids nuts if I were home with them all the time. I'd drive myself nuts, and I'd probably end up doing crazy stuff like plotting breastmilk servings per day versus poop output. : Long time members of this thread know I've kept very close track of bm pumping output, plotted that against how much dd drank, how many times I pumped per day, lunch out days, etc. It's color coded, annotated for days when the pump went kaput, family vacations... It's an illness. Really.
#428 of 1537 Old 05-09-2007, 12:14 PM

My 83 laps DDDDDDDDDDC is gone.
#429 of 1537 Old 05-09-2007, 12:44 PM

Mommabelle, I hope your meeting goes well with the principal. I haven't said anything, but I have been following that with interest. The teacher does sound really unbalanced. Good luck!

DrJen, hope the M&M went OK. Let me know if I need to bring out this smiley for that OB.

Geo, I was drooling reading your descriptions of your data collection. Let me know if you'd like me to analyze the relationships among any of those variables...

Sally, it's good to see you! I hope the unpacking goes as smoothly as possible with "help."

Shanti, good for you for getting out there!

Mandy, so sorry about the DCP situation and your hands. Mountain biking in VA? You wouldn't be coming anywhere near Roanoke, would you? :

Bec, I completely agree with your take on mothers. I just wish I could make myself believe that I don't have to feel guilty for WOHMing.

minimunklemama, And what a sweet DH!

Plady, I hope your trip is going well! I'll be glad when you are back to your usual posting; I miss it. :

Runningmommy, how are you doing? What's on the horizon for you runningwise? What plans are you thinking about using for the marathon? And, did you get to squeeze in your run this morning?

OK, I have some exercise related news to report. In the last ~12 hours I've had a number of firsts with my bike: fixed a flat (last night), rode a new route to the hospital, rode in the rain, rode clipless, fell over in view of a car (very nice man rolled down his window to make sure I was OK and tried to ease my embarrassment), rode from the hospital to my office, and rode in street clothes. Basically I just showed myself that I can commute to work pretty much no matter what. I used to not commute on days I had to be at the hospital, but now that is most days and appointments can come up on short notice, so if I was gonna commute I had to get over it. I probably won't be able to sit down tomorrow and I am slightly terrified about going clipless but it's a darn good start if I do say so! I need more practice getting rolling and getting clipped in after a stop. Left turns up a hill, anyone? :

The other good news: I got my promotion yesterday!!! I am now officially a biostatistician. It came with a shockingly high % raise, I doubt this will happen again in my lifetime.

Now I must do some of that work they are paying me for...

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#430 of 1537 Old 05-09-2007, 12:58 PM

Congrats eksmom! Both on the promotion and on becoming a bike commuter.
#431 of 1537 Old 05-09-2007, 01:01 PM

grnmntmama-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonikitaUT View Post

I ran 3 tonight!
Yay for you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
I just wanted to send some hugs out to those dealing with DC issues, and wanting to add something about SAHMing vs. WOHMing. The thing that I see is that we are all mamas. I hate seeing the mommy-wars.

I hate that mamas that go to work to feed their families, or because they have a wonderful fulfilling career are made to feel guilty by others. I wish we lived in a society that revered mothers enough to make it possible for a woman to have her career and have her children near by. I hate that women who work are made to feel that they are somehow less of a mother and that they are "letting others raise their children" because they work.

I hate seeing SAHMs made to feel guilty for "getting a free ride" off of their husband's (I have seen those exact words on MDC in the last week, so this may be a sore spot with me). I hate seeing the work that SAHMs do dismissed, demeaned and unappreciated.

We are all doing the very best for our children that we can do. Our children are lucky to have us, and will grow up knowing love, security, and stability. This is regardless of whether we work outside the home, work in the home, or work for the home.
Bec, that is beautiful!

I bought new shoes yesterday! I them! Today I did wk2 workout 2. I can't believe how much of a difference good shoes make!

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#432 of 1537 Old 05-09-2007, 01:21 PM

congrats eksmom! what a day!

I feel like I've sort of done it all as far as mom options, WOHM, WAHM, take the kids to work, and now SAHM, more or less. There's no perfect setup, as far as I've found. I really miss working more and more, and now that ds is older, I may actually start looking in the fall if he is doing okay in Montessori. That's been the best solution for us but I don't know what we would have done if it wasn't there...it's just hard either way, and being a SAHM is not necessarily my cup of tea. I wish that I loved being home, but being a pastor is such a calling for me that honestly, I don't think I will be happy being away for too much longer. Dd said something the other day when I told her I was going to be the pastor at a church (to fill in)... "but mommy, DADDY'S the pastor!" it really hurt me that even though it was less than a year ago she didn't remember that I was a pastor too. anyway, that is a convoluted way of saying that I think Geo said it in a lovely way (also Bec!) that taking womens' decisions at face value is a good idea...to just assume that we all are doing the best for our whole families (mama included).

Anyway. Back to RR. I took the jogger for 3.5 today and it was hard. I always forget to take extra vit C and iron when I have AF, and then I pay for it. Feeling better now though.

MBelle, I hope everything goes really well with your talk. I may be up for a run on Friday but I'm not sure...ILs and all. :

take care mamas.
#433 of 1537 Old 05-09-2007, 01:35 PM

JayGee, good luck with the house hunting! That is so hard with kids in tow. Thanks for all the info on speedwork!

Natasha, WTG! Congrats on your new iPod nano.

bec, I loved your post on SAHM and WOHM. So well put! I completely agree, having been on both sides of the the fence.

DrJen, hope the meeting goes alright. Ick.

Shanti, WTG! Your dedication is inspiring. I hope you get some good help with the doctor visit.

Moonshine, we did suzuki violin for a year and it was fantastic. Wonderful, kind and fun teacher. Then we couldn't afford it anymore and had to quit. This was just Sophia. Now she takes piano because I was working full time when she started and suzuki requires that a parent be part of the learning process. I couldn't be that hands on, especially for the 40 min lesson with a 20 min. drive each way. My boss wouldn't have liked that too much. But, we all loved it. We are going to a Twinkle Celebration for a 5 yo friend of ours who just started a few months ago. So fun if you have the right teacher. Also, I don't go to church, but we are very close friends with the Lutheran pastor and family. My mom came home to say that he was talking about becoming a sanctuary for illegal immigrants and he told her that dh and I would get involved. My mom was so funny about that...like, we aren't part of the church, so why would we do that. Oh well. Our friends know us well. Had the anti-immigrant discussion with my il's over the weekend. It's so exhausting to have that discussion with people who don't think for themselves but just spout off rhetoric. Also, I want to see pics of the fishnet stockings! How fun!

Sally, that series sounds so interesting. Sounds like a much healthier show than Extreme Makeover that was so popular here. Might still be. I don't get TV anymore except for one FOX station.

Mommabelle, keep us posted on your meeting with the principal! I'm anxious to hear how it goes.

eks, Congratulations on the promotion!!! That's fantastic!!! So, did you fall over in your street clothes? I can't imagine riding clipless in street clothes. Good for you!

No run scheduled for today. I'm so far behind in sleep and laundry and other household things. Plus, I really want to update my blog. So, I'm having a lazy-ish day today.

Aurora, yay for the shoes! It's amazing, isn't it?
#434 of 1537 Old 05-09-2007, 01:46 PM

Mamabeth I so agree with you and Geo...taking the decision at face value. I've done it all, too. There are pro's and con's to each one. So, instead of trying to be something different, which I've always done in the past, I'm just trying to make the very most of this short time that I am a sahm and plan for the future (next year) when I will be a wohm. Dh is suggesting that I wahm next year, which might work. But, so much of the joy of working is the coworker relationships. I miss them so much. I miss my old job so much. But, it has been so much better for my mental health for me to be home. I feel really lucky. I don't know that my kids are necessarily better off. Oliver, especially had a good thing going at a really fantastic in-home daycare. Naomi was experiencing too much freedom, IMO. We should have arranged after-school daycare for our girls, but couldn't afford that. So, they'd hang around the office or walk around town or to the park. It was making me crazy. Literally. I was crazy.

Didn't mean to start a ramble.
#435 of 1537 Old 05-09-2007, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylAnn View Post
eks, Congratulations on the promotion!!! That's fantastic!!! So, did you fall over in your street clothes? I can't imagine riding clipless in street clothes. Good for you!
CherylAnn, thank you! No, I fell over on the first leg of my trip, from home to the hospital. I changed at the hosp. before my meeting and since it is only about 1.5 miles from the hospital to my office, I didn't feel like changing clothes again. So I rolled up my right pants leg and away I went!

I need some new warm weather clothes anyway, and I am seriously thinking about getting 1-2 skorts that are athletic-ish but that would be OK for work too. Does anyone have a recommendation? I've been ogling Title Nine...

#436 of 1537 Old 05-09-2007, 02:09 PM

It doesn't stop me from wearing my work clothes on my bike... but I find that I wear away at the seat of my pants where it hits the bike seat. My jeans have a not-so-flattering pair of worn spots on the rear.
#437 of 1537 Old 05-09-2007, 02:18 PM

Add me to the list of "staying home full-time forever would do no one any favors" women. Blork.

Debating a run today... but I finally showered & washed my hair this morning, so I don't want to get all nasty again. Le sigh.

Kitchen walls being painted today and trim going up! Progress is exciting.

Dude, I am STARVING.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#438 of 1537 Old 05-09-2007, 02:23 PM

Wendy, the thing that stood out the most to me is that you get to wear jeans to work! Thanks for the tip about the seat, though. I'll keep an eye on my clothes.

#439 of 1537 Old 05-09-2007, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Warning: I think this is the longest post ever - proceed at your own risk!

Whew! I feel like I've been gone for ages. I was off work last week Thur and Fri, caught up with the thread on Sunday but didn't post. Had a crazy work day on Monday and I think I put up a short post, then was out again yesterday and didn't have time to read or post. I think I'm all caught up now and had to resort to multi-quote for personals so here goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeth View Post
dingoes are something that came from one of our tribe...her user name is "Naughty Dingo" (hi mama if you're checking in!) and I think a few of us put on our "location" that we were chasing the naughty dingo.
I don't remember who said it first but someone thought that "chasing the naughty dingos" would be a great name for a band. That's all it took. Suddenly, dingos were everywhere. We even have a dingo cafe. Welcome, Natasha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
Tomorrow morning I am meeting with my boss to find out about my new salary. My job description rewrite was approved and I think everything is set for me personally, too. I am excited and a bit nervous!!
Congratulations on the promo! With a big raise, does this mean your dh staying home is back on the table?

Unfortunately for me I found out on Monday that there's a hold up with the hiring process for my bosses job that I'm applying for. There was a big scandal a couple years back with a top-level administrator using sick leave when he shouldn't have and having what's called a backup appointment (which is standard practice, not unique to him) and the end result is more bureaucracy for appointments like my boss has (that I hope to get). Grrr. The position is posted but no offer can be made until a certain office gets off its keester and approves the position. I really hope things can be sorted out so that the position can be filled by July 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylAnn View Post
Dance is Naomi's passion. She started Pointe this year and loves it. She was just a crying wreck last night and when I hugged her teacher, I started bawling, too.
Ahhh... I remember when I started on Pointe. I was soooooo excited. My mom drove me to the studio 2-3 times (some times 4x) a week for years - back then it took about 45 min each way. She was such a saint. And we had to skimp on other things to afford the lessons. But, I loved it. I didn't do any sports or music - just dance. I think it was 7th grade when I started having a private lesson. Each year I would dance in the local Nutcracker which meant all day Saturday and some years Sunday too at the studio in the fall for rehearsals -- anyway, I hope you can find a way to keep your dd dancing. I never planned to or hoped that I would dance professionally but it really shaped my life in many ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnmtnmama View Post
but i'm having trouble envisioning myself hanging out with them or any of our other smug, SAH-parent friends and their happy little playdates and child care swaps.:
many other wise women have already responded to this with some great insights but I wanted to add that I struggle with this too. Except that on the positive, I don't have to find day care cus my dh stays home, but on the bad side, my dh stays home so all of those "I just change diapers and don't have a real job" issues are on his plate. Now that my dd is 4, it seems harder to go to work every day. She really wants me there, and because she has a better understanding of days and time, she feels my absence more than she used to. OTOH, because she's with her dad so much, she knows all about tools and things that are typically more masculine which is cool. And because my dh is home "all the time", my relatives, friends, neighbors who all wish they could do the remodeling projects on their homes that we've done on ours, think that we get that stuff done because dh is home. What they don't understand is that he doesn't work on that when he's got the kids, he just pushes really hard when I'm home. Anyway, there is no perfect answer - we just have to do our best to love our kids and make sure that they know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLove View Post
Hey everyone! I just wanted to pop in to say I graduated on Saturday and it feels amazing.
Congratulations! Any idea where you'll end up - aren't you looking in the midwest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
I actually have real running to report too!!! We all had to sprint through DFW airport to make our connection!
I sprinted through O'Hare during both pregnancies -- it was really bad with my dd cus I was visibly pregnant but there was no way I was taking the bus home from Chicago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonikitaUT View Post
Thanks to all the dingos for putting up with our PL talk.
I'm soaking up every word - I fear we may have trouble with ds. Dd was a breeze - even with pooping. So keep on talking about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
several unwatched America's Test Kitchens on TiVo.
I love that show! I have one of the cookbooks too.

Quote:
Long time members of this thread know I've kept very close track of bm pumping output, plotted that against how much dd drank, how many times I pumped per day, lunch out days, etc. It's color coded, annotated for days when the pump went kaput, family vacations... It's an illness. Really.
: : : This just cracks me up. I did do a bit of this when dd was little - not because I wanted to track it so much as because I was having trouble keeping up and I was nervous. Wendy, I think you have the perfect job for you.

drjen- I hope the meeting went well. I've only seen those things on tv and I have no idea how accurately they reflect real life.

Here's my running report:

I ran 6 on Saturday and then pussed out on Sun and Mon. I got back on the horse yesterday morning and ran 6.1 mi in 58:56 or about a 9:30 min/mi pace. I was planning on running 7 but I got a bad stomach ache just past mile 5. And, I wore an old pair of shorts (fitted ones like I wore for crazylegs) and the inseams were starting to go. Well, I ended up with a welt an inch long on the inside of my thigh! OUCH!!! And, my running bra is starting to chafe as well. I need to buy some new clothes.

To stay on track for the week I needed to run today. I rolled out of bed at 5:20 and out the door around 5:45. I thought I would go 5 but decided I could probably go about 6. I ran a slightly different route than my pre-mapped 6 so had to sort of guess. I ended up running almost exactly 6 mi in 1 hour or 10 min/mi so that was good considering I just ran yesterday. Oh, and I fell but didn't stop my watch during the fall or recovery. I ended up going down a new street and was looking at a house when I came upon a heave in the sidewalk -- no major injuries but felt like a fool.

So between the chafing and the falling, I'm trying to kill myself this week. My goal is to run 8 on Fri and 11 on Sunday. Friday will be tough because I need to be back in time to get the garage sale started with dh. I found out today that my friend who ran the 8k with me at the end of Apr is going to run the 10k distance when I run the half marathon. I'm really glad she's going to be there. We'll see each other at the start and finish. It should be fun. If all goes well, we might do the 1/2 at the fox cities in the fall.

Well, that is more than enough from me today. smooches to you all.

Oh, and ps. to Mandy - I'm anxiously awaiting my soap. I need a mood lifter cus the natives are getting restless with the lack of cross training. I'm glad to know it's on its way.
#440 of 1537 Old 05-09-2007, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Very productive day - forward motion to maintain my Dingo status, quilting - I just made a doll sized quilt to practise a few new techniques that I would be scared of trying on someone's full sized quilt. It is really cute. I am thinking of making a basket full of doll/teddy quilts for the art show/sale I am going to in July - good opportunity to practise and develop my skills, use of lots of scraps, and maybe make a few sales - I am picturing grandmother types buying cute little toy quilts for their grandchildren - not to mention that people may be more able/prepared to pay $20 for something small than buy full size quilts. I will have both on hand. If I can earn enough to pay tuition for one more course, I will be pumped.

I have to recharge the batteries for my camera so I can update my blog with some little stuff I have been making - pincushions and now the doll quilt.
#441 of 1537 Old 05-09-2007, 03:34 PM

Quote:
It doesn't stop me from wearing my work clothes on my bike... but I find that I wear away at the seat of my pants where it hits the bike seat. My jeans have a not-so-flattering pair of worn spots on the rear.
DH and I get these on our pants as well! Though, if I'm going to handle biking here through the summer (>100 deg temps) I'm going to start changing instead of riding in work clothes!!

Okay, Wendy, seriously though - you can do it! Just think of how much better that ice cream will taste and how much more you will enjoy ATK if you get that run in first!!! Even a short run is better than no run at all! Go out for just 5 minutes and then see if you want to keep going or come back!

Eks - congratulations!!! that is awesome

and Schatz -I hope your promotion goes through and this buearocratic mess goes away!

I love hearing everyones posts about different aspects of working. I love my job, and would feel so much less guilty if I could just find some quality daycare that doesn't cost more than I make and isn't all the way across town

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#442 of 1537 Old 05-09-2007, 04:00 PM

eksmom-congrats on the pay raise. It justifies new skorts. I say go ahead and splurge.

schatz-hope your promotion comes through soon.

reb-cute poem

Jenlove-congrats on graduation

I ran 2.5 with little man in the jogger today.

I just planked twice first one was 2:05 and boy was that hard. Broke 2 minutes though.Second one was only 1:13 but I only gave myself a 1 minute break in between.

Have a great day ladies.

Patti

Kelsy just did it for 2:37. Got to love gymnastics class.
#443 of 1537 Old 05-09-2007, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
I bought new shoes yesterday! I them! Today I did wk2 workout 2. I can't believe how much of a difference good shoes make!
Good job on your run today! And congrats on the new shoes! Sorry I've fallen off the PM Wagon briefly - I'll have some more time today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
I need some new warm weather clothes anyway, and I am seriously thinking about getting 1-2 skorts that are athletic-ish but that would be OK for work too. Does anyone have a recommendation? I've been ogling Title Nine...
Check out Terry. They have some good stuff. I also heart Title Nine. Oh, and Athleta.

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
#444 of 1537 Old 05-09-2007, 05:14 PM

Wow!! There's a lot going on here!!

eksmom ~ Congrats on the promotion!! I have one of the Title 9 skorts and love it. It's very comfy and I always feel a little more dressed up in it. I can't remember the name of it, but it's a black skirt with the biker shorts under it.

Patty Ann ~ 2:05 plank is awesome!!

I hope everyone's DCP concerns all work out. I'm a SAHM, but have considered going back to work at some level many, many times. I think it's important for women to be supportive of one another and understand there are so many factors, experiences, feelings each woman has about her individual situation that we couldn't even begin to understand as an outsider. The Mommy Wars are based on so much assumption about another woman and how she must be feeling, thinking, wanting, etc. That, and the media fueling the Mommy Wars fire at every corner.

Dh and I are doing a race this weekend called the Muddy Buddy. It's completely a fun race and I'd be very surprised if there's a competitive spirit about it. It's a leap frog/relay race with us switching off running and biking. At the end, we wait for each other and go through a muddy obstacle course together. I'm looking forward to just doing something active with him, without any children.

Ok ~ let me just tell you how *sweet* dh is...One of his clients turned 80 this week. Last year, dh asked her how her b-day was and she told him she went to dinner by herself to Denny's because her children live out of state. So, last week, he called her to find out her b-day plans for her 80th and she said, again, she was going to Denny's for dinner by herself. So, he asked her if he could take her to dinner to celebrate her b-day. So, they're going to dinner tonight together!!

RR ~ I ran on the TM today. I really wanted to stay in bed with dd and continue napping with her, but I knew I'd be sorry if I didn't run. I ran hard intervals on the TM ~ with my speed during the TV show and going a little slower during the commercials. I really like that work-out, but I'm looking forward even more to running the intervals JayGee posted on here. I've clocked it out around my block and plan on doing the 400s next week. Thanks, JayGee!!!
#445 of 1537 Old 05-09-2007, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimomma View Post
Ok ~ let me just tell you how *sweet* dh is...One of his clients turned 80 this week. Last year, dh asked her how her b-day was and she told him she went to dinner by herself to Denny's because her children live out of state. So, last week, he called her to find out her b-day plans for her 80th and she said, again, she was going to Denny's for dinner by herself. So, he asked her if he could take her to dinner to celebrate her b-day. So, they're going to dinner tonight together!!
Aawwwww!!!! :

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#446 of 1537 Old 05-09-2007, 05:27 PM

Hello dear mama friends!

I'm so sorry I've been awol for so long. Wendy emailed me a while back letting me know you all were thinking of me and I appreciate it

Nothing bad going on here, just busy and no fun screen time. At work, my computer screen is now fully visible from the door of my office... meaning no computer fun unless I close my door. And at home, I fall asleep early with one child or the other virtually every night. I'm finally able to post because my work laptop died (thankfully all the files were backed up!) and I'm working from home till I get the replacement. Despite not being on the thread, I think of you all frequently. We are all pretty well here - busy but otherwise good. My bladder issue still doesn't allow me to run, but I've found a wonderful friendly master's swimming group on TTh mornings, and I'm enjoying that.

Hope you all are doing well, and hope to find more time to be here with you.

Love and hugs,
Amara
#447 of 1537 Old 05-09-2007, 05:34 PM

I don't have much time because I have to wake up DD soon to go to music together. We were up to see DH off for his trip early this morning and she crashed about two hours ago. It's nice to have the time but I hope she will sleep tonight!

Jen, glad to hear you are recovering from the half. You did such an awesome job and I can't believe you did it on so little sleep. I'm so bummed I missed it and keep thinking I should have come and walked it, but I know I would have felt worse about that.

I'm trying to decide whether to do a 5K or a 10K in June (this one). The 5K would be more fun, the 10K fits in better with my goals for the summer (ie building the miles for the marathon.) I think next year I will concentrate on 5Ks, finding the time for training for longer things is making me :.

SO I FINALLY RAN this morning. : (couldn't resist creeping Geo out ;-) !) DD and I ran up to her preschool to drop off the contract and our deposit+first tuition payment (EEK!) and it took twice as long as I thought it would. Well, it was twice as far, or close to, as I thought it was going to be--1.8 rather than 1 mile. I still think I will try to run her to school and back over the summer (3 days a week) and between getting her there, getting to work, getting her home I should be doing 6 miles a day of easy running. That takes care of a lot of just miles, and if I do that I should also be able to double up for some speedwork or short tempo runs 2x a week, and put my LR on the weekend. I think this means I can get in the miles for the marathon, but I'll be checking training plans to see how well it matches up.

Tomorrow we are going to bike downtown again (~11 mi round trip, closer than the zoo) and Friday I will try for another run with the jogger. Hopefully this is the start of getting back into the groove.

s to everyone, sorry no personals, but my typing has, as I had hoped, woken DD up.
#448 of 1537 Old 05-09-2007, 05:35 PM

Hi Amara!!!

trimomma, your dh is such a sweety!!

Hiya Schatz!

eksmom, I just bought myself a Moving Comfort skort at a running store. It was my gift to myself for reaching my first goal weight. It's way shorter than I'm comfortable with with these old thighs, but it's nice for running in. I am loving it. I want to buy another one or two in longer lengths. Next week is my birthday and dh is going out of town. He forgot. He's been really off lately. But, he says I'm off. I think we need our relationship group! The play has been getting in the way of that. But, what I'm getting at is that I think I may buy myself a new skort for my birthday. I am, afterall, going to make this birthday fun. I'm going to do whatever I want to do to celebrate. I'll also be with the kids at a camp with their school, so it'll be fun there, too. Dh chose not to go. The kids are so disappointed. We're all (the kids and I) trying to make the best of it. But, new skort! Go for it! Let's compare notes!

ETA: I just went to the Moving Comfort website to find a link to my skort and couldn't find one. It must be an old design. Both of the ones they have there now are longer.
#449 of 1537 Old 05-09-2007, 06:56 PM

Balancin1 - Maybe I can come up and run that one with you! I'm running a 5K on Memorial Day and that's 5 days later, isn't it? What preschool is dd going to?

I forgot Justin has a game tonight, which may blow my running plans. We'll see what happens.
#450 of 1537 Old 05-09-2007, 07:07 PM

The meeting went really well. The principal is an old pro at handling parents..so she did a great job of validating my concerns. She wanted to know all the details with examples and she took notes...and I took my notes with me too! I was nervous at first, but I got over that in a few minutes. One friend of mine said I could give out her name as someone who is agreeing with what I'm saying, and afterwards two other parents said they would email in and say they agree with what I said. Whew! I asked what we could do to assure that my dd has a positive school experience next year because there is no way I'm going to put her through that again. I have heard that both 2nd grade teachers are great, of course the principal is also going to say that but anyway. I said I need dd to have the best experience next year (or we may have to make difficult decisions) and she said that my dd will absolutly. That should pan out in having the right teacher for my dd's needs. This principal is very conscious of empowering girls so that is great too.

I will go on a mission accomplished run tonight, but I think I'll just wear regular running clothes!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page