Dingos - it's May - come tiptoe (or run, walk, or wog) through the tulips with us - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 1537 Old 05-10-2007, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Read through this, it's really cute:

If You Give a Mom a Muffin

If you give a mom a muffin,
She'll want a cup of coffee to go with it.
She'll pour herself some.
The coffee will get spilled by her two year old.
She'll wipe it up.

Wiping the floor, she will find some dirty socks.
She'll remember she has to do some laundry.
When she puts the laundry in the washer,
She'll trip over some snow boots and bump into the freezer.
Bumping into the freezer will remind her she has to plan supper for
tonight.

She will get out a pound of hamburger.
She'll look for her cookbook. (101 Things To Make With a Pound of
Hamburger.)
The cookbook is sitting under a pile of mail.
She will see the phone bill which is due tomorrow.
She will look for the checkbook.

The checkbook is in her purse that is being dumped out by her two year old.
She'll smell something funny.
She'll change the two year old.
While she is changing the two year old the phone will ring. (Of course!)
Her five year old will answer it and hang up.

She remembers that she wants to phone a friend to come over for coffee on
Friday.
Thinking of coffee will remind her that she was going to have a cup.
She will pour herself some.
And chances are,
If she has a cup of coffee,
Her kids will have eaten the muffin that went with it.

Written by Kathy Fictorie

Based on _If you give a mouse a cookie_ by Laura Numeroff

grnmtnmma~hope the words come!

mamabelle~ack on the dog in the paint!!

bbm~you can do it! we'll be waiting for the run report tonight!
#482 of 1537 Old 05-10-2007, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommabelle View Post
HBM...are you feeling better?
No. The stomach stuff is over, but I'm pretty sure I've got a sinus infection. : Jojo's got a lot of nasty, thick, colored snot, too. I took her to the doctor yesterday b/c she kept scratching her ear, but thankfully it's not infected. She hasn't been sleeping well. Last night she woke up at 11:00 (at least she waited until Lost was over ) and stayed up until after 2, which means I'm on my third day of 4 hours of sleep/night. : I'm not good on too little sleep. :
In my sickness, I did a major "Alpharetta Housewife" taboo. I threw on clothes to pick Lydia up from Brownies yesterday, wore them maybe an hour total. This morning I had to go to a meeting at school and put on the same clothes, thinking my chances of seeing any of the Brownie moms at this particular meeting was pretty slim. Of course there were 6 of them there. Sheesh, how embarassing, if I felt well enough to care.

I'm supposed to run a 10k next Saturday and I'm wondering if I'll be well enough. Yuck.

Today is my mom's retirement party and I'm so happy for her. She's a teacher and has stuck around at a school that used to be great, but is now downright scary. She is an awesome teacher and has been a positive influence in so many kids' lives. She is really ready to retire now and I'm looking forward to spending more time with her.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#483 of 1537 Old 05-10-2007, 11:15 AM

BBM-get that run in later. we'll wait for a report. I see your weight smilie moving again. Good for you.

kate-great workout woman. Wasn't the 2 minutes hard? I felt it in my biceps too. I need to try the boat pose. I think it is what Kelsy calls a hollow hold. 1 minute is outstanding. I think my goal for the plank will be 2:30. Anything over that would be icing.

Lisa-good for you. Another 2 minute planker.

I'm noticing a difference in the tone of my stomach already. So is dh:

We have some really awesome dh's here.

sally-good luck unpacking. wish I could help you. As far as walking, just take it slow and easy. Your pelvis will let you know when it is done.

geo-great job on the run.

Off to get some school work done with the kiddos. We have book club and homeschool group today. Then gymnastics and our last night of our art bereavement therapy class. Last time was the candle lighting ceremony. Very moving. Maybe I can squeeze a run in between gymnastics and art therapy.

Got a letter yesterday that my basketball team from high school-my senior year-is being inducted into the hall of fame. Hard to believe it was 16 years ago. Hard to believe that I'm in much better shape than I was back then. Thanks to all of you

Patti
#484 of 1537 Old 05-10-2007, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama View Post
I bet none of you are doing planks like this one...

Imagine little boy-o laying down...and me planking right over him. He's grabbing my face and laughing and talking to me. I only managed 30 seconds.

I must run this morning. I must...:
GO GO GO!
#485 of 1537 Old 05-10-2007, 11:45 AM

I am now 100% caught up on the thread. Only took me 40 minutes -- in between baking bread and finding some breakfast.

Patti Ann: holy moley over 2 minutes? Yikes. No wonder you don't look pregnant for most of your pregnancy.

Eksmom: congrats on the promotion.

sallyz hope the unpacking goes well.

BBM: I do planks like that too. Leah loves it. Erin, not so much (err, she didn't like it that was).

shanti: I just can't do a plank without thinking of you doing them in your bathroom when you were homeschooling and the kids were home.

mamabeth: I was just yesterday having this conversation in my brain that I think I'd want to go "back to work" (as if I left) when Leah was about 2. Funny how parallel we are thinking.

thanks to everyone for tracking down shoes. Monikita that's exactly what I'm looking for, I'd love them. Katemom -- yowza your kid has big feet

ok I just ran out of brain cells devoted to personals.

running related: I did get both joggers out of the back of the garage. Yesterday I did three walks with my girls: 0.5 miles with the dog, 1.0 miles both girls and then 2 miles both girls. Man is it ever hot here. almost 85 scheduled for today. : it'll be a hot run this evening for sure.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#486 of 1537 Old 05-10-2007, 12:14 PM

Quick post, I know I'm leaving a lot out but hopefully I'll go back and catch it later.

Anyway, today needs to be a running day for me - 3 miles in between work and dinner/garden time. No excuses. I weighed myself and I am up 9 lbs. Time to do something about it for real. I'm thinking about quitting desserts for a while just to see if that helps me with my cravings. Dessert and Mountain Dew : are my problem areas right now. Of course, DH and I are going out for lunch today, yikes!

Mandy, Harrisonburg is about 2 hrs up the interstate from Roanoke. Let me know if you think you'll have any downtime and maybe we could get together.

Lisa, WTG on the 2 minute plank, that's great!

Patti Ann, you too... goodness!

OK, I really must work...

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#487 of 1537 Old 05-10-2007, 12:15 PM

Hi mamas--
HBM, sending all the healing vibes I can muster 1.2 miles west........ I also have some garlic for you that I forgot to drop off. maybe it would help? and I have to say, Alpharetta, schmalpharetta, although I do know what you mean.

the ILs are here, and I am trying to embrace that it means I get more time to myself. So, I went for a hot, fast, run today (did that sound dirty? ) of about 4 miles in 41 minutes, hilly too. felt really good. it is already 75 here at 11 a.m....going to be a long hot summer.

Patti to you and Kelsy! That is amazing!

kerc-- nice to see you "back" again. what a crazy few weeks you must have had. and I totally can't believe these kids are going to be 2 before we know it.

rm, that is hilarious! I am going to make it into my own forward.

bbm--I hope you are out there already, before it gets too hot! Go mama!!!!!

okay, take care mamas. I am off to the salad buffet.
#488 of 1537 Old 05-10-2007, 12:48 PM

Not completely caught up, but will later. We are having internet issues, and it is making Dh very pissy. Anyway, just got a connection, so quickly posting that I ran yet again. Not super long (about 18 min), but for day 3 of 3, I am ok with that. And oh my, it was humid. Legs were feeling it, and I felt rather sluggish, but I went and that is what is important.

Ok, off to sweep outside for street cleaning.
#489 of 1537 Old 05-10-2007, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
Hmm, you all have lots of heat?
it's not too hot, it's just massively humid - the first night of big summer t-storms should be tonight. i loooove them, even though my power usually goes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjen View Post
I met John Bingham (the Penguin columnist from Runner's World)
that's awesome! i still get a little star-struck whenever i see the editors and contributors around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylAnn View Post
kate~mom, wow!!! You are so danged fast! Do you just keep getting faster and faster?
ummm, no. i was my fastest last summer - april through early sept was fantastic. since i started working FT, i haven't had the time to train, but i'm looking forward to improving over the summer - no work and dh on days = lots of running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylAnn View Post
I don't know how to set up a password protected page. How would we do that?
not sure, i'll poke around tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sally Z View Post
darling, anything above and beyond getting out of bed counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post
what kind of sit ups are you doing, crunches or full sit ups?

congrats on t he plank! whoo hoo! after mulling over Patti all day, I decided to try it last night at 10pm. I managed a 2 minute one, which made me happy. I then tried a winsor pilates dvd from the library, and that was fun. push ups didnt' go well last night. are you doing boat pose in lieu of the vpose? I'm having trouble coordinating vpose, but can manage boat.
full sit ups, but girly pushups - i am an upper body wimp really. from what i can tell boat and v are the same - there is a modifed boat with your knees bent. i'm doing legs as straight as possible - i have really tight hamstrings, so i feel it more in my legs that my abs if i completely straighten. awesome on the two minutes! :

Quote:
Imagine little boy-o laying down...and me planking right over him. He's grabbing my face and laughing and talking to me. I only managed 30 seconds.
lol! i did have some fat, hairy, slobbery dog assistance though during my sit ups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti Ann View Post
kate-great workout woman. Wasn't the 2 minutes hard? I felt it in my biceps too. I need to try the boat pose. I think it is what Kelsy calls a hollow hold. 1 minute is outstanding. I think my goal for the plank will be 2:30. Anything over that would be icing.

Got a letter yesterday that my basketball team from high school-my senior year-is being inducted into the hall of fame. Hard to believe it was 16 years ago. Hard to believe that I'm in much better shape than I was back then. Thanks to all of you
i feel it everywhere! congrats on the induction!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
Katemom -- yowza your kid has big feet
yep - dh is 6'3"ish and dd is definitely taking after him. ds unfortuantely appears to be a shrimp-o like mommy.
#490 of 1537 Old 05-10-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate~mom View Post
lol! i did have some fat, hairy, slobbery dog assistance though during my sit ups.
Yeah, Truman was licking me during Plank the other night, too.

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
#491 of 1537 Old 05-10-2007, 02:48 PM

I swear you mamas lapped me while I was reading. You know, with the links, plus making dd some lunch, and my own lunch, and checking in at work...yup. Lapped, I swear.

On the planking and abs...OK, I possess a 4-pack. It's under a thick, smooshy layer of fat and skin. But it is there. I have good core strength. What I need is to weigh 20 pounds less. And the only reasonable way to do that seems to be to eat better and run more.: How the hell am I supposed to manage THAT?!

BBM, I remember the pics of the chicks, but not the blog link. Please? I'd love to follow your progress.

I am having allergy issues too--not just running. I am snotty all the time, I swear. And it's gross. And I get wheezy and chest pain. I know, call the NP--but on whose time?

Mandy...need help with the words? That's what I do, ya know...

This afternoon, I plan to run while dh takes the kids to pick up some more cast-off fence from some friends. Some nice panels, I guess, that we can use in the back yard. I just want a nice, leisurely, easy run outdoors. No pressure. Just keep the legs loose.

Dr. Jen at your "brush with greatness." Especially because his greatness niche is his promotion of mediocrity. I love him!

OK, and I know I do this every time I go there, but...You guys, I got shoes today. Can I tell you how much I love my local running store? LOVE them! I walk in, and they remember me, my dd's name, my shoe, and the fact that my MIL has tattoos on her face. So, I got my shoes, can't WAIT for a good run, and picked up some extra-sodium gels for the marathon (gulp), some beans, a new pair of socks. And they threw in a T-shirt! And there's this sales rep for a supplier in there, and she, too, is just totally nice. I mean, being sort of new to running, and being on the "thick" side, I often feel the "I'm not worthy" thing, but not there! I love them. Just a friendly reminder of what's to love about a local specialty running store.

Oh--and, though I checked in at work, I am making a strong effort not to actually do any work today. I need an "off" day, and this is my sanity day, the last I'll have (and frankly a pretty lame one at that) in a long time again. Trying not to feel guilty for work left undone, and trying to take my time and enjoy this one day. While managing the house, taking care of the animals, running errands and everything else. But, for a day, I'll let the paid gig slide.

Run, mamas! Run!
#492 of 1537 Old 05-10-2007, 03:48 PM

a quick note. i just finished my phone call with my homeopath. this guy is amazing. the process is amazing. we came up with a new remedy that sounds like it's going to be a very good fit. I love that it's treating the cause (anxiety/frustration/rage) and not the symptom (eczema). it's incredibly difficult and emotional for me to dig up what's going on - but once it's over it's just like YEAH! that's it. that's exactly it.

in other good news. I have at least one ride set for this weekend and a group ride where some friends will watch my boy. I'm really enjoying having a potty trained, independant little guy and being able to do things again.

okay. my copy is written. the ad is laid out. now to just get all the colors translated to CMYK and the specs matched and then I can go run before we (hopefully) get some thunderstorms.

Jo - yay for new shoes!

sally - hope that unpacking is coming right along...
#493 of 1537 Old 05-10-2007, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
kerc - I need to get back to doing them, but I don't need to do it in the bathroom any more.

I had the sweetest phone call from a teacher at my kids' scool last night. She was calling to arrange rides for something going on tonight but we talked for about half an hour - I think I have found a kindred spirit. Yay! She shared some great things she has heard in the staff room about our children and I was really moved by it. I am so glad that they have a gentle-minded school and teachers who recognize and celebrate their gifts and individuality.
#494 of 1537 Old 05-10-2007, 04:49 PM

Wendy -- I hope your new remedy works! Never been to a homeo/naturopath before. I've been urging Dan to see one about his complex neuro migraines and wicked crazy cholesterol. I hate to see my lovin' man on so many harsh meds, even though at face value I don't disagree w/ meds.

oooof, I am SWEATINNNNNNN so bad. Just ran a more up-tempo 30 minutes (slightly faster -- not much, really) and it is so warm out. Plus I broke my (only) running rule of not running after a nasty lunch. I ran somewhere between 3.1 and 3.2 miles, IIRC. haven't run that route in many weeks, so mostly I just wanted to see if it felt easy now. Not so much. Probably would have felt much better around 0900 in the cooler air and pre-Costco kraut dog.

OK, need to stretch now.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#495 of 1537 Old 05-10-2007, 04:51 PM
bec

GMM - I'm so glad you have something worked out with the homeopath! I hope it works well.

RR: I got my 3.1 miles in. I was slow, it was hot, and I was pushing the stroller, but I got it in! I did it, didn't give up, and I'm so glad I did. The upside of running slow, is that I have to run longer to cover the distance. So, I'm looking at it as being amazed that I ran for 38:42 minutes straight! I'm sure it will be easier after AF is done. Phew, this was a dilly of a cycle this month!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#496 of 1537 Old 05-10-2007, 04:52 PM

Psst... I finished my monkeys!

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
#497 of 1537 Old 05-10-2007, 05:14 PM

Just finished my 4 mile tempo run with the fast friend. We were going to try to keep it at 10:30's but ended up at about 10:03. That was cool! Neither of us really know what a tempo run is. I still haven't read up about it. She said that it was the "tempo" you plan to run your race. But, that seems awfully slow for a 4 mile run. I figure I'll run the race in 11's if I'm really good about this training. Seems like it really won't do me any good to run 4 a half-marathon pace, you know?

Monica, the monkey socks are so pretty!
#498 of 1537 Old 05-10-2007, 05:39 PM

I'll be back later to post personals...but I did it! I got out there and ran. For 30 minutes. That's alot for me these days. I did it sans kids and was surprised at how much faster I was.
#499 of 1537 Old 05-10-2007, 05:41 PM

Quote:
I'll be back later to post personals...but I did it! I got out there and ran. For 30 minutes. That's alot for me these days. I did it sans kids and was surprised at how much faster I was.
Yay! I'm going right now. You inspired me to get out there this evening! Catch you all this evening:
#500 of 1537 Old 05-10-2007, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Yay, BBM!!!
#501 of 1537 Old 05-10-2007, 06:33 PM
bec

Plank report: 1:15! I'm making progress.

All right, I didn't get to shower earlier, so I'm off to do it now! (closest thing to personal hygeine I could find)

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#502 of 1537 Old 05-10-2007, 06:36 PM

45 minute trail slog done. i have a LOT of work to do before the end of july.
#503 of 1537 Old 05-10-2007, 07:18 PM

It'll come mandy...

Bec - Nice!! I need to try again...with ds, it's so much more fun to look at him.

2BB's - how was that run? So did you say what your goals were and I missed it?

Jo - the blog: http://adventuresinchickens.spaces.live.com/ I need to update with new pictures. They are absolutely huge! I turned the lamp off today since it was so warm. I'll turn it back on tonight. I plan to try doing that as much as possible, see if I can't harden them off a little faster, but still gently, that way. Dh should finish the run this weekend.
#504 of 1537 Old 05-10-2007, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
I ran yet again. Not super long (about 18 min), but for day 3 of 3, I am ok with that.
some of my friends who are thrilled for you --> :
#505 of 1537 Old 05-10-2007, 07:40 PM

Yay...to everyone who is getting out there and running!!!!! Y'all are keeping me moving! I"ve been doing exercise..not as much as the last few months, but I am doing it. I don't know why I feel sore today. Maybe it was the mad cleaning I did before the real estate agents came on Tuesday. I have to get those outdoor runs in before it just gets to humid and I can't stand it. I'll be back to the treadmill and workout video's soon.
#506 of 1537 Old 05-10-2007, 08:48 PM

Thanks for being my dinner date! The kids fed themselves leftovers while I ran (3.5, uh-thankyou). Then I planked a minute (I think I could have gone 2 but it was a bad scene), then did a pilates DVD, and dh helped me out later with a little cross-training. Weeknight warrior.

BBM, I hope you love your chickens as I love mine. I seriously LOVE them. We have this little Japanese-something hen who likes to be carried. Our Favorelle hens will do anything for food. The growing layers now look like mini chickens, and they, oddly enough, are fond of the peafowl, who seem to hate them. And with the mild weather here, you might be OK very soon with just enclosing them well from drafts at night. Cover the top too, with plenty of vents, and they put out a lot of their own heat.

Mandy, I give you props for trail running. You must have incredibly strong legs, feet and ankles.

I saw my sister today. I wish I could see her everyday. She's just one of those people. She shared with me her weight/ BF % chart. Let me tell you, she is a SLIM woman, very nicely balanced body, size 6...and even she is dissatisfied. I guess there will always be a % or two between me and body satisfaction, if I let it. So...I must remind myself that I have terrific shoulders. And I'll be in a bridesmaid dress that showcases them this fall.
#507 of 1537 Old 05-10-2007, 09:05 PM

Uh-oh. A state of emergency has just been declared in my house. The corkscrew is MIA. While I generally subscribe to the "We don't negotiate with terrorists" ROE, I might have to rethink that with whomever has hidden the precious rabbit ears. Far be it from me to prevent a bottle of fine local Merlot from reaching its full potential. In my belly.

I got my belated shower after being just crabby enough for Dan to decide that he could go to the store WITH the baby. I even shaved my legs. To the knees. That's all that matters, anyway.

I am having a hard time getting my knit motivation on! I keep undoing my swatch for various reasons. Thank goodness Nevie won't be needing this sweater for many, many months.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#508 of 1537 Old 05-10-2007, 09:22 PM

With all these great runs everyone got in today, I'm ashamed to post since I didn't run today. Really, you guys are all amazing and full of determination!! You can be sure I'll be running tomorrow morning!!! I think I'll wake up extra early and go for a long run and take it easy. That means I have to go to bed after The Office.

I *did* plank today for 1:23. Baby steps. Although my plank time isn't increasing at the fast and furious speed I would like for it to ~ I am seeing more definition in my core than I have in months!!

doctorjen ~ I have been oggling at Garmin gear for months and months. I can't wait to hear how much fun it is to run with one. Does anyone else here use one? I was thinking I would ask for one for Christmas. I don't know if I have it in me to run a half to get one!! By the way, that was a very supportive gesture of your dh. Isn't it amazing how we think they feel one way and then they do something that completely proves us wrong?!?!

Shantimama ~ your quilts are beautiful. My mother and sister make quilts and that's all we have covering our beds in our house. My mom made one for me for college graduation and it's my absolute favorite. It's on our couch, and is beginning to show the signs off all the love and wear these past many, many years. To me, it looks even more beautiful with its frayed and somewhat torn edges.

Jo ~ I love your positive attitude about showing off your shoulders in the bridesmaid dress!!
#509 of 1537 Old 05-10-2007, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimomma View Post
doctorjen ~ I have been oggling at Garmin gear for months and months. I can't wait to hear how much fun it is to run with one. Does anyone else here use one? ?!
yep - i have a 201 - and if you're interested, i've been thinking of upgrading. lmk if you're in the market for a used (for less than a year) one. i do like it quite a lot.

great job on the plank! and i'm planning on running at 6am, also. i'll do it if you do it.
#510 of 1537 Old 05-10-2007, 09:52 PM

I have the older Garmin, and have really loved using it for outdoor runs. My dad just bought the 205 and has offered to trade it for my older one!!! I have loved all the new cool features of the newer version.

Plady, I think it was you that asked me about the garmin. sorry! it gives your time of day, current pace, best pace, average pace, running time, chrono, current speed, best speed, average speed. The newer ones also give elevation and have programs for and from the computer and count calories. I cant' wait to try the virtual training buddy.

okay eksmom....fess up....have you run tonight?? did you get to celebrate your promo by eating out and buying clothes??

one more child to tuck in...I'll check in later.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page