Dingos - it's May - come tiptoe (or run, walk, or wog) through the tulips with us - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 1537 Old 05-02-2007, 01:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First, Dr. Jen invited me to peek into this group because I am a birth worker and a runner (not well, not fast, and not far).

Second, woke up this morning and had this song playing in my head, so I had to do something about it. Think "It's my party, and I'll cry if I want to." Yes, I know that song makes me really old. But the words were altered, "It's my birthday and I'll run if I want to." So, off I went for a nice 2.8 mile run. Felt so much better than if I had stayed in bed and "pampered" myself by sleeping in like my family thought I should.

As for the running, I did a 5K 2 years ago and another, bettering my time, a month later. I was training by running 6-7 days each week, 2-3 miles at a time. After the second 5K couldn't shake the pain in my hip. Many doctor visits, massages, and PT later, come to find out I had a femur fracture on the compression side. So finally hip is better and I am back running, slowly, 3 days each week never more than 3 miles, but I am checking the local 5Ks again and planning to wog one in late May/ early June.

So thanks to Dr. Jen for inviting me, because I needed the inspiration.
Now back to lurking.

Wife, mother, midwife, triathlete
#62 of 1537 Old 05-02-2007, 02:10 AM

Aurora and Bex and mothercat!!! (And anyone else who is new to this group. You'll be so glad you joined in!)

I've read everything, but it's so late again and I can't keep up right now. I miss being a good dingo friend.

Chelsea That's so tough! Before now, I've never really stuck to a training schedule. I think it's because of that Tony Robbins seminar I went to. Seriously. I think I was a bit hypnotized, but in a good way. So, when the training became a must, it had to take priority over everything else. When there were childcare issues, I sought out solutions that had never occured to me before. I demanded participation from my family without feeling guilty about it...before I would have felt guilty for the time committment. You can do it! You can get your support system behind you and do it!! I know that if something major had come up for me, (like apendicitis or injury or family problems) it would have been heartbreaking to pass on the marathon but that's what would have happened. I guess I was really lucky that nothing major got in the way. But, you can do this! We can help you brainstorm support system ideas.

Dr. Jen, add me to the list of folks who struggled through the beginning of college after doing really well in HS. Actually, HS kind of fell apart the last semester of my senior year, too, but I had great teachers who worked with me. For me, it was the beginnings of depression and lack of family support. I got it together sometime during my sophmore year, but still would have periods of time where I just didn't do my homework until the last minute. In my Greek class, I did the entire quarter's homework in the last week. I'd already taken the tests and done well, but without the homework my grade would be a D. My teacher was much too nice and accepted all of it at the last minute (I think he was giving me a lesson in grace that actually still impacts me today) and I ended up with an A-. I didn't sleep for 4 days. I have a lot of issues with school systems and the thought of going back for an MA really gives me heartburn. Or something that feels icky in my gut. But, hopefully your ds will find his own way. I had to do it all on my own without my parents help, so I think that really helped get me through it...I had to earn every penny I handed over to the finance dept. Giving him a logical consequence like withdrawing his funding sounds like a great way to go!

mothercat, how did your fracture get treated? I've been struggling with hip pain for a year and a half with all kinds of massage and pt and exercises that never make it go away.

I'm planning to run in the morning. 3 miles. Or really, just 30 minutes, so probably not quite 3 miles. I've been stretching the ankle, keeping it mostly flexed, icing, etc. so I'm hoping it's good to go.

I'm PMS'ing big time! I saw it with my cast on Saturday, Dh the last two days, and with the kids at school today. A couple of high spirited little boys were driving me out of my mind!!! Luckily I didn't do much more than whine at them, "Do you behave like this for Jeannie?" Jeannie is their regular teacher. I just do spelling with them. "Please stop banging your stool up and down." "Please sit down." "Please put your bottom on the stool." "Please listen to me." etc. etc. At first I thought it was them, but then I realized it was mostly me and I let up a little.

Well, that was a me, me, me post!

#63 of 1537 Old 05-02-2007, 02:11 AM

Hi Bex - please do stay! I have gone in and out of running for several years after running track in HS, then stopped for 2 years, then just started back up this past October, and this group of mamas really keeps me going!

BBM - I love that idea!

Hi Mothercat! Wow about the fracture! Is it your birthday too?

Seriously, there are a lot of Tauruses here...

DrJen - If it were me, I would err on the side of less running this week, enough to keep you happy and your legs not stiff - is it this saturday? I'd probably only run on Tues and Thurs...

Chelsea - That sounds really frustrating! I just wanted to tell you that when you came up with the idea of the holiday challenge, that was a real help to me over this past Christmas, and it kept me running when I really didn't want to! Maybe you can talk yourself into "just going out for a nice walk for 10 minutes" and then go from there?

Only got in 2.75 mi tonite before DD decided that we were done but it was a beautiful evening. The sky is so pretty here right around sunset. And it cools all the way down to about 90 by the time it is 7 PM

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#64 of 1537 Old 05-02-2007, 02:11 AM

eksmom, I also meant to say that I'm doing this race on July 21. Thanks for keeping that list for us!
#65 of 1537 Old 05-02-2007, 02:14 AM

We have three Birthdays tomorrow I think! Callie, Mothercat, and who else? I know I read it somewhere. Happy Birthday!!! I'm a taurus, too. :-)
#66 of 1537 Old 05-02-2007, 07:27 AM

drjen, I forget what you posted about yoru taper week, but I remember thinking it sounded perfect. What does your plan say that you've been following (just out of curiosity) because what you had here sounds good. I'm running 3 miles yesterday, 5 today, 3 tomorrow, and then SEEING YOU FRIDAY!!! I actually gotta get a move on the TM right now, but I'll email later today about plans for meet up.
#67 of 1537 Old 05-02-2007, 07:28 AM

Oh, today is supposed to include 8X100m for me too, not sure if I'll do them though. Other than that, light and easy.
#68 of 1537 Old 05-02-2007, 08:09 AM

Okay people that expressed interest in partnering up to a running buddy:

Kate~mom
eksmom
2babybees
Balancin1
Moonshine
Calicoj

Have I missed anyone? what are your goals, what are you looking for in a partner. Do they need to have similar goals or is just having someone cheering you on okay?

For me: I need someone who can cheer me on. It doesn't matter if they are training for a marathon, a 1/2, or the couch to 5k. Someone who will hold me accountable and ask about me..."hey bbm did you do that run you were supposed to?" That kinda thing. So...keep posting and I will start matching up based on what you are looking for (to the best of my ability).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy View Post

College slacking-I didn't hit that phase until my sophomore year. My freshman year I was very competitive with the 5 guys that were in my honors program (we each had to choose a subject for concentration and we all choose biology). Actually, they were very competitive and didn't really pay me much attention. Imagine their surprise when I had the highest scores at the end of the year. I will never forget their faces when our teacher announced it!
That is just so freakin' awesome. I had the same thing happen in a really tough class where me and this other girl ALWAYS had the top grades. I would usually have #1 and she would have #2 and this guy #3, it drove him bananas! Especially because he perceived our effort as lacking. We were efficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeth View Post
it's a little early for AF for me, but I seem to be PMS'ing or something. fight with dh, got all teary about something stupid...not sure what is going on. maybe I'm just getting in sync with the dingos? someone really should study us.
Beth, sometimes life just gets to me and I get like that. I hope a run will help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
Worked in the garden tonight. Remind me next year how much I hate hoeing up clumps of grass and weeds if I get any big schemes about expanding the garden. We doubled its size this year and I am still trying to get it ready to plant. I dug up a half of a brick tonight!
Ugh, right there with you...I am trying desperately to get the garden ready and with the littleuns...it's hard. And we just don't have money to rent a tiller or buy manure to put on top to make it easier. Sigh. I just read the chapter to dd in On the banks of plum creek where the grasshoppers demolish the wheat crop. How depressing.

Balancin1 - I so remember that feeling when I got derailed. I was jealous of runners and the ease of their lope. And feeling like a great big failure. And yet how on earth is that true??? You're doing it. I totally agree sign up for a 5k and just slowly get back in the saddle. There are marathons at any age. Yours is waiting to be born.

mothercat!

I'm not a taurus, but my birthday is later this month...Gemini.
#69 of 1537 Old 05-02-2007, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm interested in a buddy...

My dad leaves on his bike trip on Monday! If you wanna read his blog, PM me. The address contains my last name OR, <mylastname>smeander.blogspot.com
#70 of 1537 Old 05-02-2007, 08:43 AM

Wow, congrats to all the racing mamas! You are such an inspirational group of women!

bbm-I would also be interested in a running buddy for accountability

garden expansion tip-it is infinitely easier to plan ahead and put cardboard and black plastic over the area that you want to turn into garden, and by spring, the grass is dead and the roots mostly composted with the cardboard. Much easier than hacking at grass clumps, but not so useful right now

RR: I did four lovely fast (for me!) miles yesterday outside and alone! 4.02 mi/35.56 min! Can I just say how much running outside after months and months of the TM?

Dh is back after being gone for a few days, I don't know how you mamas do it who have partners that regularly travel : I was becoming distinctly short of patience , when dh got home I was in the driveway in my running clothes ready to go, this mama severely needed a run!

Have a good Wednesday everyone!

Abby
#71 of 1537 Old 05-02-2007, 08:46 AM

[QUOTE=babybugmama;8010694]Okay people that expressed interest in partnering up to a running buddy:

Kate~mom
eksmom
2babybees
Balancin1
Moonshine
Calicoj
geofizz
missbliss

Have I missed anyone? what are your goals, what are you looking for in a partner. Do they need to have similar goals or is just having someone cheering you on okay?

For me: I need someone who can cheer me on. It doesn't matter if they are training for a marathon, a 1/2, or the couch to 5k. Someone who will hold me accountable and ask about me..."hey bbm did you do that run you were supposed to?" That kinda thing. So...keep posting and I will start matching up based on what you are looking for (to the best of my ability).
#72 of 1537 Old 05-02-2007, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama View Post
I'd like to have a buddy . If Trimomma is interested, I'd love to buddy with her since we're both training for triathlons.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#73 of 1537 Old 05-02-2007, 10:28 AM

I'd love to buddy up, JayGee, that'd be great. Although, let me give my disclaimer ~ by the looks of the website you recommended, the triathlons I would be doing are going to be sprint ones. I don't know what distance you're interested in doing this summer. I also don't train for the swimming segment for it. I swam competitively all through college and the swimming always seems to be the easiest and strongest leg for me, so I don't focus my training on it. If you're still interested in buddying up, I'd love to.

I had a great run this morning. Four days in a row ~ this consistency is wonderful!! I got up early and ran while it was still a little dark. The moon was full and glowing orange ~ absolutely beautiful. Between the smell of the blossoming jasmine and glowing moon ~ it was the most peaceful and calming run I've had in a long time. I felt like I could go forever. I ran for about 50 mins and the only thing pulling me back home was getting ds ready for school.

I have a Diva cup question for you runners. I love using my Diva cup, but I haven't taken the big leap and used it while running. So, I'm assuming by all the Diva users here that there's no reason why I shouldn't use it while running? I guess it's just the fear of being a few miles away from home and something happening.
#74 of 1537 Old 05-02-2007, 11:01 AM

I'd like a buddy.

Perhaps a fellow newbie or one who has a lot of patience?

Thank you all for the awesome encouragement!! I truly feel welcomed.

treehugger.gif Bex -- Single, hardworking mama to reading.gif DS (11), love.gif DD (7), & flowerkitty.gif Lars (13)
#75 of 1537 Old 05-02-2007, 11:08 AM

Just continuing to update so I don't get lost...

Kate~mom
eksmom
2babybees
Balancin1
Moonshine
Calicoj
geofizz
missbliss
jaygee - trimomma
Bex80

For me: I need someone who can cheer me on. It doesn't matter if they are training for a marathon, a 1/2, or the couch to 5k. Someone who will hold me accountable and ask about me..."hey bbm did you do that run you were supposed to?" That kinda thing. So...keep posting and I will start matching up based on what you are looking for (to the best of my ability).[/QUOTE]
#76 of 1537 Old 05-02-2007, 11:12 AM

I'd like a buddy!

This year my goals are not at all race related. I just want to run for fitness, and for me, and for life. 4-5 times a week, relatively low mileage.

PL: DUDES! (If HBM can say it, so can I!) Livi not only stayed dry through the entire night, she got up by herself and went potty all on her own first thing this morning. This mama bear is SO proud.

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
#77 of 1537 Old 05-02-2007, 11:16 AM

I'd love to have a buddy. I don't care much about similar goals - but I'm not a morning person and probably wouldn't be much good at encouraging someone out of bed in the morning - unless they didn't mind late night posts to do it!

On running with the Diva: I love my Diva, but cannot run with it. For some reason I get terrible, odd chafing when I try to run with it. You could always try it out on the treadmill or something, or just run around the block first.

I ended up not running yesterday - I'd forgotten Justin had a baseball game. Poor kid had a rough game - struck out twice, and pitched 2 innings but was taken out due to getting tired and losing control. His coach has a reputation as a real aggressive guy, and I was pleased to see he was really low key and encouraging since Justin was struggling.

I will run today, probably 3-4 miles with a little speed in the middle. Then I think maybe 2 miles tomorrow, just to keep the legs moving. And then Friday I get to see RM and Geo!! Yay!! Of course, then I'm expected to run this darn half the next day!
#78 of 1537 Old 05-02-2007, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Just continuing to update so I don't get lost...

Kate~mom
eksmom
2babybees
Balancin1
Moonshine
Calicoj
geofizz
missbliss
jaygee - trimomma
Bex80
monikita
doctorjen

[/QUOTE]
#79 of 1537 Old 05-02-2007, 11:33 AM

Hi all :

I haven't posted in a long time, but I have been running! I'd be interested in a running buddy too!

So, I'll reintroduce myself a bit. I'm another professor mom, with a 2 1/2 year old son who is beginning potty learning. I'm close to the geosciences, as a petroleum engineer, and just last year took a tenure track job in west Texas. We're not really loving it here, though, and we are looking into an opportunity to go to Abu Dhabi in the fall of 2008. (Dh and I were interested in this last year, and it looks like it is back on the table).

I try to run 3 times per week, and don't have any races on the horizon right now. We live close enough to the University, so I ride my bike to work, but this summer I will be moving my office out to a research center about 10 miles away, so the bike ride will actually have a bit of training value. I'm looking forward to that.

I'm going to sub to the thread so that I can keep up this time!

Vegan, mom to : Joe and Josh ::
#80 of 1537 Old 05-02-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post

Oh, and Monica, I saw this sweater, so I got a book about Aran knitting. Thinking I might try to start Christmas gifts. Tonight I spent trying to learn the popcorn stitch. Haven't quite mastered it yet. Will keep you updated. Hmmm, I really should start a blog.

More tomorrow, ladies.
I LOVE that sweater! I am a knitter too and have started thinking once again of Christmas gifts. My dh would not wear it but I want to knit it for myself!

Quote:
Okay people that expressed interest in partnering up to a running buddy:

Kate~mom
eksmom
2babybees
Balancin1
Moonshine
Calicoj
geofizz
missbliss

I would love a buddy. I am a newbie, just started the Couch to 5K.

Today I did wk1 workout 2. I use the treadmill right now. I hope to get outside once I am actually jogging 3 miles. The weather is beautiful here .

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#81 of 1537 Old 05-02-2007, 12:14 PM

Moonshine & Aurora - I love that sweater, too! I love Aran knitting in general. There was an Aran afghan on Knitty Gritty that I'm fantasizing about making. Of course I have several other projects already lined up before I can think about making one. And welcome, Aurora!

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
#82 of 1537 Old 05-02-2007, 12:43 PM

Here's my running buddy personal ad...

Mostly I think I just need someone to hold me accountable and help me keep it real. I struggle with juggling my running and cycling, full-time WOHMing, and a couple of other regular weekly commitments. In summer I determine my time of day for running based on the temps. Mornings would be best but I have a hard time making myself go to bed early enough, and sometimes I have early morning meetings that are unpredictable. My main goals right now are to build mileage and get back to running 4-5 days per week with some time on the bike each week as well. I'd like to race this summer but I'm leery of setting a goal. I almost think I'd do better if I just decided to race on the spur of the moment (i.e. the night before!).

So to condense that down to ad size...

10MMFD (10 minute mile female dingo) seeks FD for support, fun, friendship, encouragement. Members of TB (Trottin' Bit****) OK. Must have sense of humor and willingness to run with grocery items. Be my buddy and we will get our bootchies in gear 2gether!

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#83 of 1537 Old 05-02-2007, 12:48 PM

Oh yeah, on running with a Diva... I can't do it during the first couple of days when my flow is so heavy, but otherwise it works OK for me. I ran with it the other day and it was poking me (which it doesn't normally do when I'm not running) for about the first half mile, but then it must have shifted and everything was fine.

Actually this was a bizarre AF for me, but I think the details are TMI even for this thread.

Geo - thanks for sharing your dad's blog. I will certainly be following along. Your dad is automatically cool in my book based on the one fact I know about him - that he is riding his bike across the country. I have a lot of respect for him, that's just awesome.

#84 of 1537 Old 05-02-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
So to condense that down to ad size...

10MMFD (10 minute mile female dingo) seeks FD for support, fun, friendship, encouragement. Members of TB (Trottin' Bit****) OK. Must have sense of humor and willingness to run with grocery items. Be my buddy and we will get our bootchies in gear 2gether!
laughup

The buddies sound fun, but I don't think I would be a very good buddy. So, I'll just try to be buddies with everyone for now.
#85 of 1537 Old 05-02-2007, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Another essay submitted I only have my final residency and then an integrative paper from that experience and I will have completed the spiritual direction program!!! I am hoping to compete all of the assignments for the Women's Studies course by the end of May. Must work on that tomorrow. Right now it is time to get outside and power walk!
#86 of 1537 Old 05-02-2007, 01:16 PM

Yay Shanti! :

#87 of 1537 Old 05-02-2007, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylAnn View Post
The buddies sound fun, but I don't think I would be a very good buddy. So, I'll just try to be buddies with everyone for now.
Ahhh, but you are a very good secret sprinter!

I'm not sure I want to lock into being a buddy (I'll probably regret that) but I have been known to run with potatoes, eksmom.

So I caught up on the thread then had to step away and now I'm struggling to remember what I wanted to post....

First, I broke into double digits this morning for the first time ever!!! WOO HOO : I ran 10 miles in 01:40:00 or 100 minutes or 10 min/mile - yea me! And, I felt really good for the whole run except maybe the last half mile - I get this little pain in my left knee but it doesn't stick around afterward.

My co-worker who has run a 20-miler (the annual Syttende Mai race - 6 mi short of a marathon but super hilly so it's worse) for the last 30 yrs or so (every year but the year she was in India and couldn't get a flight back at the right time - sorry, I digress) says that I am ready for the half marathon. That's good cus I sent in my money yesterday. I'm a week ahead of schedule for running 10 mi for a LR but I don't think I'll get in the total mileage for the week that's in the plan but that's ok cus I only need to run 3 more miles for the half.

Question for those who run half or full marathons: do you bring music with you? It's allowed in my race but not recommended for safety reasons. They're expecting 2500 people for the half. I want to bring music. I think I will go bonkers running that far w/o tunes, and although I am able to run w/o music, I have been running with music this winter and spring. What do you guys think?

will post more later
#88 of 1537 Old 05-02-2007, 02:12 PM

buddy would be great for me too. Training for my first marathon in Chicago, October 7th. I've done several 20 milers before and everything under that and I would love encouragement to get it all in. I try to run early morning so that I know my run is in and I dont' have to agonize over it all day. Plus, with dh's schedule, I depend heavily on the TM to run on. I'm not sure what training program to use, so any tips or help on that from everyone would be great. I have about 6 weeks off before training for the marathon (after Saturday, ). My training for this half was all over the place for lack of program decision to illness and lack of sleep. I hope to buckle down and be able to run a good marathon.

Lisa

and to those that run with food
#89 of 1537 Old 05-02-2007, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schatz View Post
Question for those who run half or full marathons: do you bring music with you? It's allowed in my race but not recommended for safety reasons. They're expecting 2500 people for the half. I want to bring music. I think I will go bonkers running that far w/o tunes, and although I am able to run w/o music, I have been running with music this winter and spring. What do you guys think?
I run with music about the half the time during training, but almost always on long runs. However I could never imagine running with it during a race. Some people do though. I am too focused during a race to care about music. I think it would bug me more than anything. During a race there are so many people around and the adrenaline I've never missed it. Plus I like being able to hear footsteps behind me, makes me run a bit faster.
#90 of 1537 Old 05-02-2007, 02:37 PM

I have run with my diva since the flow has been lighter. doesn't chafe or anything, but (MAJOR TMI!!!!!!) I make sure the cup is way up in there.

just a sec before I have to go read to kids but I ran four miles today with a new friend from dd's school. I couldn't get a good breath and her knees hurt bc she usually runs on trails and this was concrete. oh well, it's still four miles. but I am going to have to do early runs from now on, it is hot and smoggy here. :P take care mamas

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page