Dingos - it's May - come tiptoe (or run, walk, or wog) through the tulips with us - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 1537 Old 05-04-2007, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So 2babybees - what are your goals for this weekend and next week? Me? Now that the cold has moved into my chest preventing it from turning into bronchitis.

I found this new stuff that I really like, it's called Hansen's Fizzit, it has 1000mg vit c, 50 mg echinacea, some selenium and lots of other vitamins and minerals. It's to support the immune system. I put it in some orange juice and it was a little like drinking a sunkist. : that it works. At least my nose is clear now. Man this is some cold. It flattens ya!
#182 of 1537 Old 05-04-2007, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
bbm - that sounds like the cold I had. It does flatten you. I hope you get through it quickly. How is work going?

My hip is sore today so I will probably do more yoga than walking. I need to finish that other essay today.
#183 of 1537 Old 05-04-2007, 11:01 AM
bec

Bex80! We're running buddies! And we have the same FREAKING AWESOME name!

I just finished the C25k a week or so ago. There's a thread for it around here, too, if you wanted to start it again. Do you have a running plan? Exercise plan? Diet plan? You can totally do it!!!

I started down my weight loss/fitness journey last June. I have lost about 62 pounds so far. I did this from really watching my portions, eating a LOT more fruits and veggies, and increasing my activity. I started by walking on the treadmill with the baby (a lot lighter, then!) in my Ergo on my back. On February 23rd, I started the Couch to 5k program, and am now running a 5k in about 35-37 minutes (depending on whether I am pushing the stroller, if there are garage sales, or other stuff like that ).

Do you need encouragement, inspiration, or just a swift kick in the butt? I admit that I really needed the swift kick before I was able to really put the excuses aside and actually take control of my actions, food intake and body.

No running for me today. But, I'm taking DD2 to the park for a picnic. And I'm going to be right across the street from Whole Foods, so I'm going to try to exercise some restraint and not spend too much too frivoulously there.

Oh, and THANKS BBM for setting this up!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#184 of 1537 Old 05-04-2007, 11:23 AM

Aww you guys have no idea how good it makes me feel that people are excited about their pairings. I worry over the silliest things.

Shantimama - thank you for asking. It's going okay, but I have some anxiety that I still dont' have a full load (money issues). They keep bringing on new therapists/psychologists and all of us are suffering. I'm not sure what they are about. I've written a note to one of the partners about it since historically she tells me to market myself more...but isn't that part of why they get 45% of my income? Also if I market myself and someone calls and doesn't like the time slots I have available they will just offer another psychologist. Which is fine, but then I'm out the work effort. KWIM? So, we'll see what she says about my note, I just put it in her box on wednesday. I would've talked face to face, but we so rarely see one another.

On potty learning. Dd learned on her own very easily right at about 2 years old. She just up and did it one day and never looked back. Now night time dryness has been another issue altogether. I finally had a brilliant idea. She has always gone to bed with a cup or sippy of water. I think she drinks all night and of course is wet. So here's my ingenius idea - I put the water in the bathroom and if she's thirsty she can get up and get the water, but then must pee too. So far she hasn't gotten up to get water at all, but she's been dry 3 of 4 nights. If she's dry tonight again (3 nights in a row), we're going to try panties.
#185 of 1537 Old 05-04-2007, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
bbm - I hope you get a good rsponse. That doesn't seem right to me - 45% is a big chunk! I hope things get better soon.
#186 of 1537 Old 05-04-2007, 11:50 AM

PL: We had one accident last night due to an Ahh malfunction. (Ahh is her stuffed lamb.) She decided she wanted to wear panties to bed last night, and I was fine with it since she has been dry two nights in a row. She woke up around 4 and had to pee, but couldn't find Ahh. So she looked for Ahh, then finally gave up and took her babydoll and went to the bathroom. She spent too much time looking for Ahh and couldn't quite hold it long enough - she peed her pants in front of the little potty.

I had heard her get up, so I went in and the first thing she said was "Where is Ahh?" So I quickly changed her bottoms and put her back to bed. With Ahh.

BBM - That sounds like the cold I've had... that turned into something else. Ugh. You have my total sympathy! I hope you feel better very soon.

Aurora - What are you looking for in a buddy? Would you prefer motivation via PM, the thread, or email? Are you running today?

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
#187 of 1537 Old 05-04-2007, 11:51 AM

Believe it or not 45% is standard. When you consider overhead (office, office supplies, office staff, their billing for all your clients, etc.) it's about right. The partners only get fractionally more than that. Which may be why they are trying to bring more people on - it can only help them, but it's hurting the rest of us.

So look what we did a couple weeks ago:

http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...t=100_1696.jpg

http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...t=100_1711.jpg
#188 of 1537 Old 05-04-2007, 11:54 AM

Yes, thank you bbm, for taking care of the buddy list. That is a great idea about the water cup for your dd at night. I gather from your recent post (and since I'm pretty new here), that you're a psychologist? What kind of population do you work with? I have my LCSW, but haven't worked since ds was born 7 years ago.

I had a great spinning workout this morning. I didn't lift weights for very long. My weight workout is really suffering ~ I need to make more time for it. I usually get to the gym at 5:30am and lift weights for 20 or 25 mins while waiting for the 6am spinning class. I need to get there earlier to do more weights, it's just a matter of waking up earlier. I like what bec said about putting the excuses aside. That's definitely the mind set I need to take on.

I've realized that I haven't run a 5k race in quite some time, so I really don't know what my 5k min./mile is. Even then, my recent 5ks have been at the end of triathlons, so that wouldn't be accurate, either. I want to know it for speed training, so I plan on focusing on figuring that out on Sunday instead of a long run. My plan is to run a mile loop in the neighborhood at a pace that just nearly tires me out ~ do it three times with some rest between. Then, average those mile times. How does that sound? Would it give me a somewhat accurate time? How much rest should I take between miles?
#189 of 1537 Old 05-04-2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonikitaUT View Post
Aurora - What are you looking for in a buddy? Would you prefer motivation via PM, the thread, or email? Are you running today?
I am so glad we are buddies. I am excited to get to know you as well. I don't really know what I am looking for. What about you? I just know that I need someone to chear me on and I want to chear someone too!

I did run today! I did wk1 workout3.

Are you running today?

Speaking of knitting and Nancy Bush............I have the book Folk Socks by Nancy Bush and I love it! As soon as I finish up the other socks I am working on I am going to start a pair out of that book for my dh.

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#190 of 1537 Old 05-04-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimomma View Post
I had a great spinning workout this morning. I didn't lift weights for very long. My weight workout is really suffering ~ I need to make more time for it. I usually get to the gym at 5:30am and lift weights for 20 or 25 mins while waiting for the 6am spinning class. I need to get there earlier to do more weights, it's just a matter of waking up earlier. I like what bec said about putting the excuses aside. That's definitely the mind set I need to take on.

I've realized that I haven't run a 5k race in quite some time, so I really don't know what my 5k min./mile is. Even then, my recent 5ks have been at the end of triathlons, so that wouldn't be accurate, either. I want to know it for speed training, so I plan on focusing on figuring that out on Sunday instead of a long run. My plan is to run a mile loop in the neighborhood at a pace that just nearly tires me out ~ do it three times with some rest between. Then, average those mile times. How does that sound? Would it give me a somewhat accurate time? How much rest should I take between miles?
Good Morning, Buddy ! I'm not sure of the best way to figure out your 5K min/mi. pace. Your plan sounds realistic though. Are you wanting to stay aerobic? For my speedwork, I go to the track and run sprints. For example, this week I ran 800 warm up, 6x400 sprints with 200 easy in between, and 800 cool down. Those 400s hurt ~ definitely anaerobic!

Today I was supposed to do a Brick, but my husband scheduled a landscaper to come out and give us an estimate on some yardwork right at the time my group is leaving to ride. So instead, I'm going to just meet them for the run and hopefully do 5 miles. Tomorrow is my LR day, with 8 miles scheduled for first thing in the morning.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#191 of 1537 Old 05-04-2007, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Ahhh, thanks! I gotta update my sig too. The paper count and mile count are both out of date.

Ok, Callie, what are your goals. What am I cheering you on for?

Me: Out the door with the running shoes on three times a week. Saturday I'm doing a jog while waiting for Lisa and Jen to ROCK THE HALF. Sunday I'm running with Janessa. That leaves one mid-week run.
Sounds good - same here -at least 3x a week for 10-12 mi/week (gotta get back on track to get my mileage goals ). I'm shooting for Tues-Thurs-Sat at least, but this week it has been Mon-Tues, so I need to get out today and maybe once this weekend...

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#192 of 1537 Old 05-04-2007, 02:26 PM

I don't know if I'll be on much later today before we leave for GA in the morning, so I wanted to make sure I got to say:

GOOD LUCK LISA AND JEN!!!

I know you two will do great. Lisa, blaze away, woman! You are well-prepared to meet your goals. Enjoy it! Jen, it's awesome how you've set new personal best distances with this training. You are well-prepared too; moreso than you think. I think you will love it and I know you will do well!

I hope I will be able to get online on Sat. or Sun. and read the race reports!

Wendy, I'll miss seeing you this weekend, too. I am still bummed I'm not on my way to Indianapolis right now. Chelsea, you doing OK? I'm thinking of you this weekend too...

And, good luck to the other racers... the list says Megs and ChamaMama... hope that's right! : I need to go update that thing...

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#193 of 1537 Old 05-04-2007, 04:04 PM

Aurora - Great job on your run today! I think I need one more rest day, so I'll plan on running a shorty tomorrow, probably just 2 or 3 miles. I made the Christmas House Socks from Folk Socks as my first pair of knitted socks. Nancy Bush lives in SLC, and my mom took her sock knitting class and those were the socks they made in the class. My mom passed the pattern on to me (ssshhh) so I could give sock knitting a try. They are so comfy!

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
#194 of 1537 Old 05-04-2007, 04:35 PM

my blog is updated now.

AF is here. making me cranky and irritable and needing chocolate. so i just baked some black bottom cupcakes. hopefully they came out okay.

K is sleeping. when he gets up I might drag him around in the trailer a little bit. To town to see the new baby. To the post office. To the bike shop to fix our wheelbarrow wheel. But we'll see. it's awfully windy out there. Though the sun is bright, the temperatures are not that warm.
#195 of 1537 Old 05-04-2007, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnmtnmama View Post
AF is here. making me cranky and irritable and needing chocolate. so i just baked some black bottom cupcakes. hopefully they came out okay.
Recipe?? :

Just got back from biking into the city and back to do another massage. Glad that they are starting to pick up a bit. So got my exercise done for today.

Kate~mom, buddy! Give me the dealio on what you want from me. I will try to come up with a plan for me, but until then, just give me lots of loving swift kicks in the butt. I remember I got running more last winter when we did the mileage contest, so hopefully this will get me out too.

Have to thank whoever it was (Geo?) who put me on to Bob books. Just got the first set today and DD1 read two of the books. She is a somewhat reluctant reader. But did fine with these.

Oh, Geo, I would love the info to your dad's blog too. Sounds fascinating! My sister once did a trek from the east coast to the Mississippi, but that is my closest connection to bikers like that.
#196 of 1537 Old 05-04-2007, 05:53 PM

Ohhh, JayGee, I want a landscaper (other than me, of course)!! Hope you were able to get those five miles in today.

I've been thinking about supplements lately ~ especially after reading my current issue of Runner's World with the mother of six highlighted. She takes pre-natals to keep up with her needs and training. What kind, if any, of supplements do you guys take? I have occasionally thought I should get my iron levels checked, as I rarely eat any meat and am not diligent about making sure I get enough iron-dense foods in me. I'd be curious to hear what everyone's experiences are regarding nutrition and supplements.
#197 of 1537 Old 05-04-2007, 05:56 PM

And, oh yes, grnmtnmama, the recipe for those yummy sounding cupcakes would be appreciated. Hope they worked their magic and the rest of your day goes well.
#198 of 1537 Old 05-04-2007, 06:15 PM

Checking in quickly...
I ran a little over 3 this morning with MBeth and MBelle. It was so nice out. Good run.
MBeth and I have a long run scheduled for tomorrow morning. I hope it's nice out again...:

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#199 of 1537 Old 05-04-2007, 06:17 PM

wasn't that the coolest article? And her ABS! yowza. I'd have four more if I could look like that. no, that's not really true.

I take a multi occasionally, and vitamin C on a really regular basis. I get anemic really quick, even when I was eating meat, and the vit C seems to help the most. I want to get back into taking fish oil or EPO, because it really did help with my moods even when I wasn't depressed, but just keep forgetting to buy it. I definitely notice a difference if I don't stay on top of it.

We had a great run today! three miles and lightning fast, or at least it felt that way. tomorrow's 7 or 8 with HBM.

oh and by the way, I am on day 3 of eating CSA food and it is simply SO good. It's a farm near here that we bought a share in and I had no idea what I was missing, sadly. totally a convert here.

eks, this may be too late, but I hope you guys have a good trip down here and a lovely visit with your aunt. so sorry to miss ya but one of these days.
#200 of 1537 Old 05-04-2007, 06:22 PM

Forgot to answer-I take
prenatal vitamin
Fish Oil
Vit. C
Glucosamine/chondroitin (sp?)
calcium/magnesium

The cal/mag does wonders for me PMS wise.

#201 of 1537 Old 05-04-2007, 06:52 PM

trimomma - I take prenatal, fish oil, and vit c/zinc when I feel sicky...

the one thing about iron and prenatals though (and I kinda thought of this when I read the article - although I loved her story and her abs) is that I believe that some forms of calcium and magnesium can inhibit absorption of some forms of iron (although it has been a while since I had redox chemistry ) when I was preg, I took iron as ferrous sulfate on a relatively empty stomach, but with some OJ (vit C I think helps iron absorption) and it worked wonders for my energy and iron levels...

Eks - have a safe trip and a wonderful visit w/ your aunt and other family!

MB - we joined a CSA this spring too (just a half share, that is about all I can handle) and I LOVE it so much. I had no idea that I would love turnips!

Good luck Indy Mini runners!!!

Things good here w/ DCP, I talked to her this AM and said that I understood biting was normal and was probably the only way the little boy could express himself and that maybe he needed something safe to bite, and that I didn't want her to feel like she should be upset or punish him for my or DDs behalf... thanks for the advice yall!

Okay, I'm putting it here in black and white: I will run at least 3 miles this evening!

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#202 of 1537 Old 05-04-2007, 07:03 PM

Good Luck to everyone going to Indy! I'm doing that race next year for sure, when we'll be living in Bloomington .

Trimomma ~ I take a prenatal and an EFA supplement. I'll have to check out that article.

No one ran today after riding, so I did 4 miles on the indoor track at the Y. I wanted to do 5, but 4 was all my knees could handle on those tight turns.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#203 of 1537 Old 05-04-2007, 08:10 PM

e. has chicken pox :

i just clonked o. in the head with the hard eyeball of his gigantic stuffed elmo, trying to make the furry red monster give him a hug

he is now lying in bed laughing and chatting with elmo ("hahahahaha, ehmo, owie he-ahd. nigh nigh, ehmo, no jewce. wahw cup. fwee faw fiiiiiii.")
#204 of 1537 Old 05-04-2007, 08:23 PM

first, e. is requesting this smilie :Puke It is her favorite, and she thinks it will make her feel better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama View Post
Man this is some cold. It flattens ya!
yep, i've got it too - i gave up and bought robitussin today. i now do not feel like my head is going to spontaneously combust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
I have lost about 62 pounds so far.
wow!

Quote:
i don't think that would be accurate. i would run 3.1 straight, as if you were racing. run it hard. what you would be doing is mile repeats which would be faster than your 5K pace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
GOOD LUCK LISA AND JEN!!!
:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
Kate~mom, buddy! Give me the dealio on what you want from me. I will try to come up with a plan for me, but until then, just give me lots of loving swift kicks in the butt.
let me think on that - i think i need to figure out my goals for the summer first. i'm fairly certain i want to focus on 5Ks. this weekend, i plan on running 10 tomorrow, and something on sunday.

Quote:
I've been thinking about supplements lately ~ especially after reading my current issue of Runner's World with the mother of six highlighted.
that article was amazing. i take 2 organic gummi bear multivitamins a day i can't deal with swallowing pills.
#205 of 1537 Old 05-04-2007, 08:26 PM

Monica, I ordered exactly the yarn in the photo...Regio Silk in burgundy. I NEVER use the same yarn as in the picture until now. I just couldn't find a color I like better except charcoal or Mocha and Naomi told me that they were too boring. But, that's my wardrobe. Browns, blacks and jeans. It'll be fun to liven it up.

Yay for Livi and Leah and Balancin's dd! I think there is one more PL'ing right now, right?

GMM, can't wait to see your socks in progress. I have been doing stash knitting for so long that I think I've gone a little crazy in the last month. I've purchased more new yarn in the last month than I've purchased in the last 2 years! But, I had a huge stash from my yarn shop. Plenty to tide me over.

Oh, I love CSA food! Our CSA also sells the most delicious goat's cheese, which I've never previously liked. I can't wait for it to start!

for kate~mom's E!

Didn't get a run in today. Had to work and then ended up staying for the teacher inservice. Hmmm. I may be working myself into a better job that might allow us to keep Naomi at the school another year!!! Getting ready for another weekend of shows.

Good luck to all the racers!!! I look forward to reading all the race reports!
#206 of 1537 Old 05-04-2007, 08:26 PM

Bec-got some before and after pics??? :

Good Luck Indy Mini Racers!!!!

#207 of 1537 Old 05-04-2007, 08:37 PM

Mmmm-we just had a delicious salad with our CSA leftovers. I can't wait to see what we get next week!

#208 of 1537 Old 05-04-2007, 08:56 PM

1. Must look into CSA options 'round here.

2. I could live on goat cheese. LOVE it.

3. Drive home from Bellingham not too bad until the last 30 miles or so... but after 330 miles already, my "'tis better to get home and start the daddy snuggle fest sooner than pull over, accomplish squat, waste time, and still have upset baby in the backseat." So I just sang songs and told her I loved her and we booked it the rest of the way home. Thanks for being otherwise occupied, Washington State Patrol!

4. Nevie bawled when Dan kissed her upon our return. Took over 10 minutes for her to accept him again. did not expect that.

5. My radio silence the last few days kind of kept me shut out of this buddy thing. I'm tempted to see if Trimomma and JayGee would take me in as a threesome (hey! not like that! you guys are soooo icky) because I am planning at least two, maybe more, sprint tris in August.

6. Go Lisa and DrJen!

7. Feel a bit underprepared for Sunday, but the last time I ran Bloomsday I hadn't run more than 3 miles at a stretch prior, so the fact that I'm up to 6 easily now should mean something. Plus the cosmic energy of 60,000 other runners there to buoy me along. Looking forward to it! Hope the hip and the lower left leg cooperate.

I think that's it. It was great to spend time with my sister. I just wish we lived more like 3 hours apart instead of 6.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#209 of 1537 Old 05-04-2007, 09:00 PM

Sorry for the serial posting, but has anyone heard from Jenlove? Is it finals time? Jenlove, I hope you're OK.
And Party of 6??? How's your pregnancy?

#210 of 1537 Old 05-04-2007, 10:24 PM

Yes, that woman's abs in the article were amazing. She also inspired me to start doing plank poses again. She can hold it for *two* minutes. Two! Minutes!

I guess I should've prefaced my prenatals question with ~ are you taking prenatals even if you aren't ttc or nursing (such as the woman in the article)? I take a multi, calcium and fish oil.

Thanks, kate~mom about the 5k advice to find my min/mile.

I've looked into CSAs around here ~ sadly, there's only one to choose from and it's quite expensive. After hearing about the rave reviews from everyone here on the produce, I think I may have to revisit the idea of getting involved with the local CSA.

JayGee, excellent getting in four miles. I'd say that's a great workout!! Do you have a swim workout tomorrow?

Megs, I'm completely up for a threesome!! JayGee?

Non rr~ we're heading to the beach tomorrow!! I'm planning on getting a workout in of boggie boarding and body surfing!!

Off to do plank poses!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page