Dingos - it's May - come tiptoe (or run, walk, or wog) through the tulips with us - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-05-2007, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
WalkAmerica report on my blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2007, 08:25 PM

congrats, Reb, on your finish in spite of the pain. for your sweet girls.

HBM, I did NOT see that post until it was too late for the Moe's! bummer. hope it was good. and yes, I am a total eating machine on long run days too.

I am getting a cold fo' sho', but hoping against hope that it's not one of the flattening ones.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:51 PM

Jo-

Reb-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonikitaUT View Post

Aurora - How is the couch to 5k going? Are you running today? I need a little help with motivation today. I'm struggling... and a bit depressed... help? :
Pm'd you!

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

Old 05-05-2007, 09:09 PM
bec

3.1 miles in 34:52! I'm getting faster!!!!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 05-05-2007, 09:28 PM

hugs jo and reb.

bec!

ds had a mighty fine potty day. stayed dry all morning, peed right after his nap (we initiated that sitting), and ran himself to the potty twice this afternoon - once for pee and once for pee and poop. today ROCKED!

hbm - yes, i eat all day after my long runs.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:57 PM

I ran!! First time in weeks, due to illness. And then planked. After the plank talk I wanted to see how long I could hold it. First time was 1:15, second time was 0:46. Then DH made me do plank while lifting one leg, but keeping your butt down low. Ouch. Made it 0:30 on each side. My new goal is to plank for 2:00 by June. If that lady can do it, so can I. Dang it.

Go Katemom's DS!!! Woohoo! There is some great pottyin' goin' on! Fo' Sho!

Mandy - Love the yarn for your knee socks. I think they will look great! Are you still doing your MH ab routine?

Off to read your blog!

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
Old 05-05-2007, 10:08 PM

Quote:
My new goal is to plank for 2:00 by June.
i think we are all trying to get those abs! i'm in.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:23 PM

Hi Ladies!!

I literally have one minute, but have to say your support is amazing!! THANK YOU!!!

I didn't reach my goal time, but I ran a decent time anyway. 1:44:20 (or somethign close to that). It was extremely humid and I was struggling with that and lead legs. I'll write a proper race report soon. It was a tough race for me but love the challenge and learning from it.

DRJEN~DID AWESOME!!! I'll let her do her own report, but have to say I'm so proud of her.

WENDY~ thank you for being there for us!!!! It was great spending time with you. Elliot is a doll.

Eks and Balancin1~ we missed you terribly and hope to run with you in the future!!!

gotta jet
Old 05-05-2007, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate~mom View Post
i think we are all trying to get those abs! i'm in.
ditto!
Old 05-05-2007, 10:35 PM

everyone going to be doing it daily then? will we do a daily check in on how we did?
Old 05-05-2007, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
THE INDI MINI RUN REPORT from the sidelines.

Jen and Lisa are AWESOME runners.

We were all to meet downtown Friday evening. Jen and I were driving in from opposite directions. We each had independent navigation problems. Lisa talked me from the parking garage to the corner where I practically walked into her, and Jen ended up calling in real support from her son.

We had dinner together, chatted, and had a grand time. Elliot and I shared a swanky hotel room with Jen, and Jen swears she never heard E cry at night (probably something having to do with arriving with 3 hours of sleep...)

I arranged to take pictures of the start of Lisa and Jen. Ok, 35,000 runners. Not likely. I couldn't remember what color Lisa was wearing, and for some odd reason, I was looking for someone with an orange shirt and a pink hat. Lisa kindly pointed out to me she has more color sense than that. Anyways, Jen's camera has several pictures with pink hats in the field of view....

After all the runners had started about 22 minutes after the first runners started, E and I set off exploring downtown Indianapolis for the Geofizz Mini-Indi-Mini. I took a 3 mile jogging wander, during which time I found the finish line and followed the route back a ways. Since I'd run a whopping 3 miles, the first finishers were coming towards the finish, so E and I sat down in the grass at the 1/2 mile to go line to watch. Someone gave E a cow bell to ring, and he promptly grabbed the cow bell, and started nursing. He then spent the next 45 minutes nursing and ringing his cow bell when people nearby cheered.

As I was figuring that Lisa was about to pass, I started getting the camera ready. Convinced that the orange shirt and pink hat would pass any minute now, I turn the camera on. A few minutes later, the camera turned off, and Lisa, wearing a tan hat and green shirt saw me, called out, and I got the camera on and took a picture of her backside.

E and I hung out to wait for Jen. About the time I expected Jen, I started to look really carefully -- it was getting more crowded -- and Elliot discovered Jen's chocolate-chip cookies in the jogger. I was holding them for Jen to have at the finish line. E through a bit of a fit, so I let him have one : and looked up to see a huge mass of people. I waited another 10 minutes, and never saw Jen Given her time, she must have passed during the cookie incident.

We finally met up at the end, hung out, and that was it! Lisa had to go home (and then wasn't feeling too hot ) So Jen and I got our stuff together and got lunch before heading home. If you ever want a steak restaurant or a brewery, downtown Indianapolis is the place to go. There was nothing else!

We had a grand time. Elliot soaked up all the people and the 1-1 mommy attention. He's an amazing car companion (as long as sleeping = good companion), and he is an excellent judge of character. He thought that Lisa and Jen were just awesome people.

I had a blast. It even gave me the ever so slightest desire to actually run one of those things.

FABULOUS RUNS LISA AND JEN!
Old 05-05-2007, 10:49 PM

Jo and Rocky. I'm so sorry.

Congratulations to Runningmommy and DrJen!!

Count me in on the 2 minute plank by June!! My abs could use a little challenging! When I've been doing them the past few days, I've made it a little past one minute, so I've got my work cut out for me.

I'm only running 3 miles tomorrow morning, trying to find out that 5k pace.

We had a great day at the beach today. Ds and dd are fish in water. They are spent after crashing in the waves all day. We saw a man that was fishing catch a tiny baby hammerhead. He was an older man and didn't have the dexterity to get the fish off quick enough to throw it back in the water. We were standing there, watching patiently while this imaginary clock was ticking in our heads. Dh finally grabbed the hook, got the fish off quickly, then he and ds helped it move back into the water. So, all day, dh has been referring to himself as the 'shark wrestler'!!
Old 05-05-2007, 10:54 PM

kate~mom-meant to say earlier-yes dh and I are going to try to do Philly this year again-it was so much fun last year And if you pace your dh at 10 min/mile-I would actually run faster than you-that would be one for the books

oy-why is PL bad for a marriage: dh and I really do have a great open relationship, but this week has been so stressful. I finally asked him tonight after putting K down what was wrong-and he just said "I am tired"-great. Actually it has nothing to do w. PL-he is just shortening his fuse because of it. Its starting to drive me : I hate when he doesn't speak-and unfortunately it usually happens on the weekends when it does happen. I am going upstairs to read-its too frigid down here. I am feeling my blood boil just sitting here-not healthy-East of Eden here I come.

Can't wait to read the race reports and your walkamerica report, reb!!

I need to read the new runner's world about that woman. I used to do plank for 2 min. that was pre-K I would go through the whole thing-straight plank, one arm up, one leg up, opposite, then one arm up AND one leg up, opposite-I could do the whole thing for quite a few minutes. Now-I can hold it for about a minute. Must work back up!
Old 05-05-2007, 10:57 PM
bec

OK, so tell me more about the plank stuff? What post was it in? My abs need help!

Old 05-05-2007, 10:59 PM

Geo-I am loving the image of E nursing and ringing the cowbell-too cute
Old 05-05-2007, 11:00 PM

bec-its in this months Runner's World-haven't read it yet, so not sure what page.

eta: this was from the runners world website about the article:

The secret behind those abs
St. Geme does a core-strengthening routine daily with the high school track team: 100 sit-ups, 100 push-ups, three minutes of plank pose ("I can only do two minutes," she admits), and two minutes of a V-sit.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:10 PM

Hoorah -- 2-minute plank by June -- me, too! I miss my pre-baby abs. I miss them really, really bad. I had rockin' abs. Sniff. At least a plank will not exacerbate my diastisis.

Getting really excited for Bloomsday. My cousin is running it, too, so we're going to be buddies. Dan and Nevie are going to walk the dog down to the bottom of "Doomsday Hill" to cheer us as we pass, and that's just before you complete mile six, so that will be a fun way to get a boost toward the end.

Bought the Bianchi! She wouldn't take less than her asking price, but I kinda don't blame her. I didn't argue. I'm not going to find that quality of bike around here any other time, so I still feel pretty lucky. I need shoes and clips, but she left all the other (sweet-arse) componentry on.

Ummm... other than that, need to get back to my homework. The next few weeks are going to be endurance homework weeks for me to catch back up in my class. Dan is almost done with his work for the semester, though, and doesn't start work-work until the 21st, so he's agreed to be the baby wrangler for me. It's super interesting stuff (Exercise Physiology) and relevant to my new life as a runner/sprint triathlete. Woo hoo!

I need to figure out a way to have Nevie babysat so I can go swim 2X/week. Hmmm.

Alright, well, enough outta me. Sorry for the crap personals -- just checking in before I start the next chapter.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post
everyone going to be doing it daily then? will we do a daily check in on how we did?
Is it okay to do it daily? I asked DH, the weight lifter, and he said that it was like any other muscle group and needs rest in between, so every other day. What do y'all think? I'm all for reporting back here and cheering each other on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
I had a blast. It even gave me the ever so slightest desire to actually run one of those things.
NO WAY!! I just remember you telling me on our walk to the park that you had NO desire to ever do distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinseed View Post
I finally asked him tonight after putting K down what was wrong-and he just said "I am tired"-great. Actually it has nothing to do w. PL-he is just shortening his fuse because of it. Its starting to drive me : I hate when he doesn't speak-and unfortunately it usually happens on the weekends when it does happen. I am going upstairs to read-its too frigid down here.
So not only do our DD's call each other behind our backs to stage potty strikes, but we appear to be married to the same man. Except mine throws in huffs and "looks" along with the silence. I constantly feel like I've done something wrong. :

: Great job Jen & Lisa!!!:

Great job, girlfriend. for your girls.

Old 05-05-2007, 11:55 PM

Race Report (warning long-winded):

Can I just start by saying that having Geo and RM for company was just great?!?!

And eksmom and Balancin1 - we missed you, but thought about you both.

Also, against my fears, I managed to finish 13.1 miles! (And stay upright for quite a while after!)

My race report starts Thursday night. I'd originally planned to scrub for a scheduled repeat cesarean of one of my clients on Friday morning, round on my inpatients, then sign out to my partner and take off. Thursday morning, I saw one of my term pregnant clients. First baby, 39 1/7 weeks. She mentioned that she'd been having cramping and bloody show all morning. I did a cervical exam at her request - she's 1 cm but 80% effaced. We talk about how maybe she's in early labor, maybe it's just prodromal end of pregnancy stuff. I remind her I'm leaving for Indy at noon on Friday.
In the early afternoon, she showed up to labor and delivery, now having contractions every 3-5 minutes, and more bloody show. A nurse monitored her, had her walk for a couple hours, but she'd had no cervical change by late afternoon, so she went back home again. I was sort of nervous about her at this point, but hoped she'd fizzle out overnight and wait a couple days.

I finished in the office, went to Justin's late baseball game, then rushed around packing and printing out directions and such.

Just before I climbed into bed at 11 pm, the phone rings. It's labor and delivery. Yep, she's back. And now she's contracting every 2 minutes, and 3-4 cms dilated and 90% effaced. Looks like we're having a baby, so off to L&D I went.

Turned out to be a lovely labor and lovely birth. They are a very nice couple, who I first met during a miscarriage which was their only other pregnancy. It was very satisfying to receive into my hands their lovely red headed baby boy and pass him to his ecstatic mother. Unfortunately, it was also 4:50 am Friday morning. By the time I helped her nurse the babe, and made it home into bed it was 5:45 am. I intended to sleep an hour and make it back for my scheduled cesarean - but overslept by a little bit. By the time I rushed around getting my kids out the door and made it to the hospital, my OB backup had started without me, and I arrived about 1 minute after the new baby. I finished up at the hospital, and was back home by 10:30 am, now thinking there was no way I was up to the drive at this point. I slept for 2 hours first, then left for Indy.

By Friday night I was really exhausted, and wondering how I was going to run 13+ miles for the very first time. Having supper with Geo and RM cheered me up considerably, as did enjoying Geo's little guy's company. Finally, we crashed around 10:45 pm Indy time.

I got up at 5:40 am and ate a powerbar for breakfast, and laid in bed a while longer. Finally, I got dressed and went downstairs to meet RM. She needed to give Geo some stuff to hold for her, so we went back up to my room, which was good, since it turned out I'd forgotten the darn chip of all things!

RM and I walked down to the corral area, and said our goodbyes. She was starting way up in corral C, and I was going to start with my good friend from residency Mike and his BIL Brian way back in corral R. I worried for quite a while standing around in R by myself, but finally my friend and BIL showed up. I was really, really nervous at this point, and my stomach was letting me know it. I wondered for a bit if I was going to have to find a potty before I started, but finally my tummy started to settle down. Normally, my friend is faster than I, but hadn't been training as much and we all planned to run together as long as we could. Turned out having the company was really helpful. We heard the National Anthem, and but couldn't hear the start, although we assumed after a while it must have happened. Finally, we started walking (35,000 people is a lot to get across a start line!)

We figured it was almost 20 minutes before we crossed the start. I hit my watch, wanting to be able to keep track of my times, but somewhere just after the first mile, it must have bumped my wrist and turned off. The first mile was slow - almost 12 minutes, but soon we settled into more of a groove and it got a little less crowded. Having never run such a big race, I was surprised by how many people there were - it was fairly crowded all the way through the race, even back at my pace range.

The first 3 miles were really fun - lots of bands and groups cheering, the runners were all happy and excited, Mike and I and Brian chatted the whole time, and I got to know Brian who'd I'd only met briefly before. The first 3 miles were slow - 34+ minutes, but I felt absolutely great as I crossed the first 5K mark. I commented to the guys that I now only had to run as far as I'd run before to get to the finish. (My lifetime longest run was 10.5 miles, the longest training run I managed during the half training.)

The next couple miles felt good, too, and all three of us were still up beat and chatting a fair amount. At mile 5, we were at 53:53 according to my chip time. We lost Brian for a bit since he stopped at a portapotty. At around mile 6, we entered the Indianapolis Speedway. Not knowing a thing about racing and never having been there, I was surprised at how huge the place was. It was a little disheartening to see them interviewing finishers on the big screens in the speedway while we were passing the halfway point! Mike and I stopped to pee at this point, also. I probably would have made it fine without stopping, but didn't want to lose him and their was no line, so I figured I might as well be safe than sorry. I didn't quite anticipate how hard it would be to pull up my running shorts while soaking wet with sweat! I had a moment's thought that I was going to have to run the rest of the race with my shorts half way up my butt, when I managed to wiggle back into them. Besides the first mile, this was our slowest mile, at 11:30 or so including the potty break.

The miles on the speedway seemed to zoom past (pun intended) and passing mile 8 I felt much better than I had on any training run of that distance. Mile 8 was one of my fastest at 9:58. At mile 9 I was still feeling good, and mile 10 was the fastest of the whole race at 9:56. When I passed the mile 10 marker, with the farthest I've ever run looming, I still felt great and was feeling pretty confident. Mile 11 was 10:03, and right around the mile 11 marker, I ran out of my training. I walked a water stop, and had a heck of a time getting going. Mike had dropped back around 10.5 miles, and Brian and I were still together. He dropped back with me as I walked and I told him I was in uncharted territory and not sure if I was going to make it. He walked with me, and I told him he didn't have to wait with me, but he said we were going to finish and he'd stay with me. I only walked 100 strides, but it felt like forever, and then I managed to start again.

At the mile 12 marker, my legs were stiff and I was sucking wind pretty hard. I was wearing my shirt that I made for Griffin's 5K, which also has my friend Anne's name on it (she's my friend who died of cancer in Sept.) I started thinking about all Patti made it through last year, and how strong and courageous my friend Anne was, and I tried not to think about my lungs or my legs. I thought about my lady who birthed her baby after being up all night, and how hard she'd worked to push him out after being so exhausted. After mile 12 there were markers at 3/4 mile to go, 1/2, and then 1/4 mile to go. It wasn't until the last 1/4 mile that I was sure I'd finish. Ran the last 0.1 mile in 52 seconds - just under 9 minute mile pace! Somehow, I managed to walk through the finish area, and a nice lady lifted my foot up for me and cut off my chip. My official time was 2:18:59. 10:37 minute/mile pace - and we ran a negative split - faster the second half than the first. Not as fast as I once imagined I'd be able to run it, but I was so proud of myself for finishing, especially after my training got so screwed up by losing my treadmill. Brian crossed the finish line with me - and I made him come get a finish photo taken with me. Even though I barely know him, I was so grateful for his company and support and felt like I'd not have made it without that support.

So if your still reading, that was my rookie half marathon! At mile 12 I promised myself I'd never have to do this again - but it must be like childbirth or something because by the time I had that medal around my neck and walked out of the finish area, I was thinking how I could train better for another time!

I'm not running until Tuesday, I think - and that'll depend on how I feel by then. I don't work until Tuesday now either, unless another baby decides to come!

reb - I'm glad you were able to run your 12 for your girls.

jo - So sorry about your kitty.

Balancin1 - let me know your goals so I can start cheering you on! I'm still thinking about my plans now that the half is over. We still have to plan a run, though!
Old 05-06-2007, 12:23 AM

We had a great run on Friday with HBM and MB!

We left early this morning and did ds gymnastics spring thing this morning. It was fun for him and fun to watch.

Then we went to ballet rehearsal. I love watching my dd, but the owners are just a piece of work. We will not be going back there next year.

Had dinner with some people tonight and one lady literally....I mean absolutly literally non stop talked. I just can't believe it! My ears hurt. Will definetly be avoiding that in the future.

Tomorrow is ballet recital. I can't wait until it's over with. I sure like it when she's happy but she has to be there for 7 hours and only dances 8 minutes.

No running tomorrow, but back on Monday.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:24 AM

Congrats Jen and RM!! : Love the race reports from you and Geo and I'm so so sorry to have missed being there with you!

Jen--yes and yes! Let me know your goals too. Maybe we can find a nice little 5K or something to do this summer.

DH and I took DD in the bike trailer to (one of) the zoo(s) today--20 miles round trip. My knees are achy but the rest of my body feels OK, but OH do I not have much wind right now.

s--Jo and cReb

Our guest dog is very nice. He charmed the pants off a bunch of my neighbors this morning, who were all very relieved that he had a foster home to go to so they did not have to be tempted. Me too. It really wouldn't work, but he is a great dog. I am glad I did this.

OK, taking my sore sorry self off to bed...
Old 05-06-2007, 12:53 AM

I love long, detailed race reports! Of course we were all "still reading," Jen! Congrats.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:25 AM

Congrats to all the Indy runners! Geo, thanks for the great report .

Megs ~ congrats to you on your new bike! I'm in need of shoes and pedals myself, but waiting for a few extra $$$ before I take the plunge.

No run or ride yesterday. We had a house showing in the am, so I spent the morning cleaning myself silly with a teething baby sobbing in my arms (NOT fun). We were invited to our neighbors to see their two girls (ages 16 and 17) off to the Prom yesterday evening. No time for any training activity at all yesterday, but I do have a swim scheduled for this afternoon, and I'm thinking I'll run the 3 miles home from the Y afterwards.

For those who have run a 1/2 marathon, how long did it take you to properly train? I just found out the Air Force marathon/ half-marathon is taking place in October at Wright Patterson AFB and I'm thinking of tackling the 1/2. I am running about 10K now, without too much difficulty. Think I could do it by October???

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 05-06-2007, 10:47 AM

jaygee~yes!!

just to clarify, geo mentioned I wasn't feeling well, it's just that post race stomach upset. there's the name for it, which excapes me, where the blood leaves your stomach to power your muscles, leading to stomach upset. I got it with all four of my spring races last year, and only the mini this year. I don't feel like throwing up, but I don't feel like eating, and some times need the bathroom on short notice. Nothing major though. I ate some crackers, some water, and some power bar after the race, then some gatorade, and I think it just was a bad mix. All in all I felt good!

Jen, how are you feeling today?

Off to shower and try to write my race report today. I have had a lot to reflect on and figure out what to change for next year. Registration is open for 2008.............
Old 05-06-2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:
i held the plank position for a pathetic 45 seconds last night
Old 05-06-2007, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate~mom View Post
i held the plank position for a pathetic 45 seconds last night
nevermind, after having a second of doubt, i double checked. i actually held boat pose for 45 seconds. i'll have to see if plank is easier
Old 05-06-2007, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Someone gave E a cow bell to ring, and he promptly grabbed the cow bell, and started nursing. He then spent the next 45 minutes nursing and ringing his cow bell when people nearby cheered.
heheh, i'm thinking pavlov here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinseed View Post
kate~mom-meant to say earlier-yes dh and I are going to try to do Philly this year again-it was so much fun last year And if you pace your dh at 10 min/mile-I would actually run faster than you-that would be one for the books
sweet.

Quote:
Is it okay to do it daily? I asked DH, the weight lifter, and he said that it was like any other muscle group and needs rest in between, so every other day.
i think ab stuff is just fine and dandy to do daily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjen View Post
Also, against my fears, I managed to finish 13.1 miles! (And stay upright for quite a while after!)
AWESOME JOB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
For those who have run a 1/2 marathon, how long did it take you to properly train? I just found out the Air Force marathon/ half-marathon is taking place in October at Wright Patterson AFB and I'm thinking of tackling the 1/2. I am running about 10K now, without too much difficulty. Think I could do it by October???
shouldn't be a problem at all. a year and a half ago, i wasn't sure if i could finish a new year's eve 4 mile run - i had only ever run 3.1 before that. by april, i ran a 1:38 half. you'll be fine - find a beginner training plan and stick to it.

Quote:
it's just that post race stomach upset. there's the name for it, which excapes me, where the blood leaves your stomach to power your muscles, leading to stomach upset. I got it with all four of my spring races last year, and only the mini this year. I don't feel like throwing up, but I don't feel like eating, and some times need the bathroom on short notice. Nothing major though. I ate some crackers, some water, and some power bar after the race, then some gatorade, and I think it just was a bad mix. All in all I felt good!
yeah, i got that particular afflication terribly all last year after my long runs and after the half. so far this year, i'm ok - maybe one *incident post-super-long run, but no problems after last week's race. keep taking it easy! awesome racing, mama!
Old 05-06-2007, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Way to go on the great runs!
Old 05-06-2007, 12:17 PM
bec

Jen - Your race report brought tears to my eyes (I might be feeling a bit premenstrual and hormonal, though). What an inspiration, and congratulations!

So, is plank pose holding the bottom part of a pushup? Or are you on your elbows and forearms?

Old 05-06-2007, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
So, is plank pose holding the bottom part of a pushup? Or are you on your elbows and forearms?
Elbows & forearms, so your body makes, well, a flat plank. Keep your butt down low and your neck straight (looking at the floor) so you are in a straight line.

Right? If I'm doing it wrong someone tell me quick!

Kate - Boat pose for 45 seconds is rockin'!

User Tag List