How to tone loose stomach skin from pregnancy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-04-2007, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Harvest is now 10 months old and I have lost all of my pregnant weight and more. I look great except for the fact that the loose skin on my tummy looks like a bowl of dough. Has anyone had any success toning loose skin? Any help would be GREAT!

Joyful mama of 3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2007, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Anybody?

Joyful mama of 3.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:20 AM

The unfortunate truth is that the skin is here to stay, pretty much. It's not like a muscle where you can shorten the fibers through contraction. Skin doesn't work that way. If you were genetically gifted (like me, like many) with skin that doesn't have a lot of elastin in it, then I'd say you're stuck (like me, like many).

The name of the only "workout" I know of to get rid of the skin is called a tummy tuck...

Now, if the problem is just flabby muscles underneath, I recommend checking out or buying the book "Lose Your Mummy Tummy" by Julie Tupler. Her workout is a bit ridiculous & time consuming for most moms (i.e., those without nannies to watch their babies while they do their 500 repetitions of transversus abdominal pulls each morning...), but the explanations she provides of how/why your tummy muscles were extended during pregnancy and how/why you need to repair them are very well-written and easy to understand.

I've been a slacker on this subject myself.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:44 AM

tummy tuck?

I hate my skin, but my dd was worth it so I've learned to deal with it. Bye bye bikinis for me.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:34 PM

After 5 babies and carrying very large and stretching ALOT, I can tell you that my belly skin is here to stay. Think about people who are very obese and lose lots of weight. They must have that skin removed.

I am still in the process of losing my "baby" weight (well, not really baby anymore, now is it?). I never would have considered a tummy tuck before the 5 kids, but now I am seriously considering it next summer. I could probably go down 2 sizes and not have that pregnant look anymore. If I lost 200+ pounds or something, I wouldn't bat an eye at having extra skin removed, so I don't think having extra skin removed after lots of babies is unreasonable.

But, I dunno how bad yours really is. 10 months is not that long postpartum and although it may really bother you, you'd probably be surprised what some of your friends are tucking into their jeans...
Old 05-08-2007, 01:44 AM
Banned

I'll be having a tummy tuck after I finish having children and drop down to my ideal weight. It's the only way to get rid of the excess skin.

User Tag List