Tupler Technique Plus Kegels- Lose Your Mummy Tummy Tribe - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 143 Old 04-08-2008, 12:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bumping this thread! Good information! I've been looking for some exercises your years (my youngest is FIVE now and I still have diastasis pretty badly). Hopefully it will work for me too!

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#62 of 143 Old 04-08-2008, 10:54 AM

I've been doing the exercises - I'm not doing as many as she recommends but working on it. I can't tell a difference yet although occasionally when I do them I get sick to my stomach

I wish there were some way to be sure I'm doing it correctly. When I pull my bellybutton back, I don't really feel that I'm moving any side-to-side muscles around my middle, but I suppose I probably am.
#63 of 143 Old 04-28-2008, 05:33 PM
RAF

Hello,

My baby is a year old now, and I am still having the stretched out muscle look and do have a small ab separation above my belly button. Has anyone tried making one of those splints out of some knit fabric? I really don't want to spend 40 bucks on a small piece of fabric, when I have quite a bit of stretchy fabric laying around here, since I sew. Anyway, I am going to try doing some of the ab exercises and remember to keep my tummy tucked in and see if things don't improve.
#64 of 143 Old 05-07-2008, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I just impulsively bought that oil. Eesh! Not expensive though.

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#65 of 143 Old 05-08-2008, 11:23 AM

As a followup on the splint--the book shows you how to make one. ?The only purpose in buying one is that it's made of cotton-terrycloth fabric that is soft and stretchy. Big woop!

#66 of 143 Old 05-08-2008, 04:48 PM

How do you know if you have an ab separation?
#67 of 143 Old 05-08-2008, 08:03 PM
RAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryS-F View Post
As a followup on the splint--the book shows you how to make one. ?The only purpose in buying one is that it's made of cotton-terrycloth fabric that is soft and stretchy. Big woop!
Oh, neat! I have a bunch of knit terry fabric. Too bad I don't have the book. Anybody want to briefly describe the instructions for me??
#68 of 143 Old 05-09-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audibear78 View Post
How do you know if you have an ab separation?
If you've had a baby. No, you lay on your back, lift just your head off the ground and feel for a ridge of separation 3" above and 3" below your bellybutton. Anywhere and everywhere you feel a gully is a diastasis. 98% of us have 'em.

Read the first post for a description of the excercises. I got the book out of the library--it's popular.

Today I noticed even more of a difference in my gut. This works and you can do the moves anytime!

#69 of 143 Old 05-12-2008, 03:27 PM

Hey all. I am ordering this book today (none at the library). I have diastais, lower back and leg pain, and have been able to add muscle everywhere except my tummy! I know that I need to get my core in shape and I hope that I can understand the book enough to get results.

Did anyone buy the DVD? Is it worth it? Some people on amazon.com found the book hard to understand.

I also read you can make the splint out of a long piece of fabric

http://www.maternalfitness.com/shop/popups/splint.html

Jen

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#70 of 143 Old 05-13-2008, 04:32 PM

I think the book is fine. but i'd be interested in the dvd.

#71 of 143 Old 05-18-2008, 10:56 PM

Subbing! My diastasis is huge, after four babies!

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#72 of 143 Old 05-19-2008, 10:28 AM

good luck, colleen!

#73 of 143 Old 08-05-2008, 05:06 PM

I bought the book and received it last week. I decided to start yesterday (Monday). I'm finding it really difficult.
I found this thread while researching the book to see whether it was worth buying.
I think it's a great idea to encourage each other. It's really good to know it works.
I struggling particularly with the kegels. I haven't had a problem with incontinence since I was pregnant (6 months ago) so I assumed by PC muscles were pretty strong. Seems not. I can't even hold for three counts and I find it really difficult to hold my transverse in at the same time.
I bought the splint too and have just put it on. Not sure if I've done it right, it's tight though which means I have to pull my muscles in.
#74 of 143 Old 08-19-2008, 05:04 PM

Mama to DS (3/7/06)om.gif, DSD  hearts.gif(11/17/02), DD (1/16/08 )energy.gif ,  DS2 (5/30/10) sleepytime.gif and Baby Quinn angel.gif (R.I.P 3/22/13)

#75 of 143 Old 08-20-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsmom View Post
Aaronsmom, why did you bump? I know I have posted here before, and I have to say, the two things I took from this book are to wear a splint during abdominal exercises and to hold my tummy in at all times. I found the exercises to be useful, but fell off the wagon of doing them after my initial excitement.

#76 of 143 Old 08-20-2008, 05:36 PM

Hi Rosemary SF-

just wondering if the tummy tucker oil helped any- or did it just help only me? I was telling a couple of my friends- and they were oh so sceptical.
Let me know if it did.

Am sitting up straight since a while and it atleast makes me feel better
#77 of 143 Old 08-20-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annran View Post
Hi Rosemary SF-

just wondering if the tummy tucker oil helped any- or did it just help only me? I was telling a couple of my friends- and they were oh so sceptical.
Let me know if it did.

Am sitting up straight since a while and it atleast makes me feel better
Hey, I used it for a while and I don't think it worked--sorry! I did lose most all of the belly fat from doing WW; the oil made me feel like I was doing something in the interim, but it really isn't worth the $$$.

#78 of 143 Old 09-12-2008, 04:33 AM

I have had a diastisis recti since my second pregnancy and I have 5 kids!! (DS-1990, DD-1999, DD-2001, DS-2003, and DS 2005) At my last appt with my midwife she suggested I see a physical therapist to help but I thought it would be a waste of time since everything I read said the only way to truly take care of it was to have plastic surgery. The idea of someone cutting into my belly actually made me light headed.

I thought today I would search again for ab exercises and stumbled upon Tupler's method. I have requested the book from the library and it seems that overall, everyone on here has seen positive results. I can only hope this will work as I am tired of not being able to fit into my jeans without this pouch that makes me look like I'm about 6-7 months pregnant!!

Can someone tell me what she meant about getting in and out of bed correctly?
#79 of 143 Old 09-12-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabberdoo View Post
Can someone tell me what she meant about getting in and out of bed correctly?
I don't remember exactly what she said, but you want to avoid shearing your muscles more. One way to do this is to lie on your side and push yourself up to sitting with the arm closest to the bed. It's pretty easy and doesn't rely on your stomach muscles too much. I'll still do that sometimes.

Mom to Wm and Ian , happily unschooling
#80 of 143 Old 09-12-2008, 10:50 AM

Just subbing!

I've got a 2.5 fingerwidth separation, and like no room between my ribs and hips anyway, I look like humpty dumpty
#81 of 143 Old 09-13-2008, 09:00 PM

I love that this thread keeps popping up in my mailbox periodically.

Like several PP's, I have been doing the exercises, but nowhere near as often as Julie Tupler recommends. I just don't have that kind of time or attention span. (The counting is soooo boring to me.) I've tried to add the exercises into daily life, for instance I hold my abs in tightly while riding elevators or escalators, brushing teeth and whenever I think of it. I also try to hold everything in while doing my aerobics class. To make sure I am holding it in correctly, I turn sideways, look in the mirror, and see what I have to hold in to make me look as skinny as possible.

And don't even ask me about Kegels. I just can't figure out how to remember to do those at all!

Despite my lax regimen, I have seen slight improvement over the past few months (I am 24 months post-partum, so I am starting this all a little late). This is assisted by eating less and dropping a few pounds. I'm trying to keep up, but I'm curious to know if there is anyone out there who is actually doing the recommended # of repetitions? I don't know if they are even possible while caring for a young child, or young children.

After I get my abs all back in shape, I'll need to figure out what to do with all the extra skin on my belly, too. (2 10+ lb babies + 50 lb weight gain each pregnancy. Argh!)
#82 of 143 Old 09-14-2008, 07:12 AM

I'm not doing the proper number of sets and reps! It's a goal, but I get bored/distracted too easily, esp with 2 toddlers.

This is probably horrifying around here, but once my body is totally back in shape and the babes are all done nursing (last baby is 15 mos) then I'll be making a trip to the surgeon. I gained a huge amount of weight (starting from a very athletic build, had severe pre and post natal depression) and just do not have any elasticity to my skin. I'm almost 27 and my grandmother has tighter skin than me. I love to be super fit, and don't have the self esteem to just deal with hanging skin and breasts when I work so hard for everything else. I am judged and "punished" for them, but it's not my fault for the genetic card dealt.
#83 of 143 Old 09-14-2008, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg_s View Post
This is probably horrifying around here, but once my body is totally back in shape and the babes are all done nursing (last baby is 15 mos) then I'll be making a trip to the surgeon. .
I'm right there with you!! I even started a thread here a few months ago. suprisingly, I didn't get flamed. ... but I also didn't get any replies

I actually don't think that I would even go through with it once I read the risks, etc... but it is very tempting to me. I live in an area where a lot of the moms have had some kind of augmentation , and it's very tempting to me because it's the "norm" here.

All I want is tummy lipo and tuck.. just to get rid of the 30+ lbs that I am carrying there

donning flame suit and exiting :

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#84 of 143 Old 09-14-2008, 09:18 AM

The norm here is astonishing to me as well. I don't know how much is natural or not, but the women here just don't look like they did back home (ontario) or in new york, where I lived for 5 years before coming over here. This is another world where the women are incredibly beautiful and well formed and I feel really out of place. I do want to lose all of the weight and get my abs in condition first though, I want it as a skin procedure, not a weigh loss one. I lurk on a tummy tuck and a breast lift forum and the pics from the ladies who are in good shape always look really good, the ones who are overweight can sometimes look really odd.. maybe because it is difficult to make the fat under the skin even from the part below the scar to the part above the scar, so the entire body can look a little misshapen. Yeah my extra 30 are all on my midsection too. I shoudl probably take this talk somewhere else, where is your thread?
#85 of 143 Old 09-14-2008, 10:03 PM

yeah, sorry for teh hijack.

here was mythread
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...highlight=lipo

but I'm okay with it staying burried, LOL

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#86 of 143 Old 09-16-2008, 05:54 AM

I have a question about the technique.. are your ribs engaged? There are 2 ways I can do this, one is with my ribs being pressed down as well, and the other is with them being high and sort of sticking out - which one is the correct one?
#87 of 143 Old 09-16-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg_s View Post
I have a question about the technique.. are your ribs engaged? There are 2 ways I can do this, one is with my ribs being pressed down as well, and the other is with them being high and sort of sticking out - which one is the correct one?
The first position, I think. The transverse stretches from your ribs to your hips, and the book talks about pushing your ribs down and in while holding everything in.
#88 of 143 Old 01-02-2009, 11:22 PM

Aak! I just checked for diastasis as I was pretty sure my traumatic pregnancy/emergency c-section left me with one... That totally creeped me out! Above my belly button its 2 fingers wide, below is 3 and at my belly button where I already knew I'd had a hernia before - 4 fingers wide! Blech! I started to gag picturing my organs just flopping out all unprotected - which is exactly how they've felt! If I lean against a counter while working in the kitchen it's painful and I get instantly nauseous and a little light headed. No wonder!! I tried telling my OB, and he said that is just normal after pregnancy... WHAT!? He told me to ab exercises - so I've been doing them and of course its gotten WORSE! Geeze! So glad I found this thread! I can't afford the DVD right now but I'll try to do the exercises and report back

Melissa 38 DH 47, Emerson '06, Arrow '09 angel2.gif, and Drake Valan EDD 12/22/10.
#89 of 143 Old 02-07-2009, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

It's funny I started this thread two years ago after I had my second son-- now I am due any day with our third child-- a daughter! So I will definitely be doing this again. I am also getting the Belly Bandit postpartum girdle this time, too. I was going to get the Tupler DVD but now I'm not sure I will. Either way I know that binding my belly and minding my posture right from the beginning will make healing happen a LOT faster this time than last time.

I'll be checking back in soon!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#90 of 143 Old 02-08-2009, 03:50 PM

I tried to click the link in your original post since I am anxious for some hope, LOL! But is requires a password. Is it possible to post a picture?

Melissa 38 DH 47, Emerson '06, Arrow '09 angel2.gif, and Drake Valan EDD 12/22/10.

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page