dingoes running in the sun - Page 39 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1141 of 1384 Old 06-25-2007, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
aguacates, I think you should just scrap the old projects and start something new and small and inspiring. :-)
#1142 of 1384 Old 06-25-2007, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylAnn View Post
aguacates, I think you should just scrap the old projects and start something new and small and inspiring. :-)
:

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
#1143 of 1384 Old 06-25-2007, 09:29 PM

Whew...what a run! I did 3.02 around town in 28 minutes. My last mile was just a tad over 8 minutes. I smoked this run. It started pouring the last mile and I admit I turned my head back to try and get a few drops in my mouth. Man this was one awesome run. I put dd to bed, read her some stories, tanked ds up, handed him to dh and took off. I will have to try this again. Nothing left to do after the run, it's quite exhilirating.
#1144 of 1384 Old 06-25-2007, 09:56 PM

bbm ~ That *does* sound like a good run, particularly the running in the rain part!!

I ran 4.1 miles today. I was hoping to go further and faster, but my knee felt like it was going to give out a few times while I was going at a fast pace. I have problems every so often with my knees ~ which is usually remedied by weights. So, off to the gym I will go a few times this week and I hereby vow to be more consistent with the weights...

Tomorrow, I'm going to run a slow and easy 3 miles to loosen up. I did a kickboxing workout on Sunday that has left my legs quite tight.
#1145 of 1384 Old 06-25-2007, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama View Post
Nothing left to do after the run, it's quite exhilirating.
Don't you LOVE that? That is one of my favorite things about running at night! That and the cooler temps after the sun has set in the summer.

#1146 of 1384 Old 06-25-2007, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs_BK View Post
Re: teas and the like helping burn fat... I'm super-skeptical of anything like that claiming that it can help. The simple matter of the fact is that our body gets more efficient at burning fat through training our muscles to do so... and that happens after steady, consistent endurance training. Like running. Not that our nutrition doesn't play a HUGE role in losing weight (duh), but there's no quick fix. It's not an either/or -- it's an "and". Exercise AND eating right. So, green tea is good stuff. But it's not going to zap your fat cells. The caffeine in it might give you an energy boost for a more intense workout, though...
Another :

And, as DH reminds me, muscles need more fuel, so the more muscle you have the more calories you can safely consume. That means lifting weights, for us. I find that as long as I consistently maintain my weight lifting program, I can safely eat more. And I love to eat.

Megs, how is your baby sweater going? I can't wait to see it on the Nevster. :
Sorry I'm posting so much. I just caught up on the thread.

#1147 of 1384 Old 06-25-2007, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Whew...what a run! I did 3.02 around town in 28 minutes. My last mile was just a tad over 8 minutes. I smoked this run.
FANTASTIC run!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonikitaUT View Post
Don't you LOVE that? That is one of my favorite things about running at night! That and the cooler temps after the sun has set in the summer.
i just got back from 8.7. it's 9:30, and i was considering showering quickly and running to barnes and noble, but i think i will just shower slowly and lay in the air conditioning with sudoku.
#1148 of 1384 Old 06-25-2007, 10:49 PM

BBM ~ That does sound like an awesome run. I sure do love running in the rain. Enjoy your evening.

CherylAnn ~ I'm checking out that site now.. hoping to have everything ready to go for a morning yoga session tomorrow.

This weekend was great with James being here. I did lots of laundry, talking, and cross-training. : Today my sister, nephew, and I went to the outlet mall in Oshkosh. I think I put in a few miles walking around and trying on clothes. I really think that should count as something.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#1149 of 1384 Old 06-25-2007, 11:12 PM

JenLove, you could have met me for lunch! I work smack in the middle of Neenah. You WILL visit me. You will.

I didn't run and I am in a poopy mood. I have hours of work scheduled for tomorrow, and before I do it, I will run. Don't know how far, or how fast, but I will run. It's going to be a hot one, so the earlier the better. Besides, then I can get to work and go go go.
#1150 of 1384 Old 06-25-2007, 11:14 PM

JenLove, we can be cyber partners tomorrow morning. I'm going to start my day with it, which will probably be around 9:30. :
#1151 of 1384 Old 06-25-2007, 11:16 PM

cherylann- thanks for the ankle/shin advice. i think i am going to rest one more day [lift weights instead] and then try for a run on wed.i will ice/wrap if it hurts. i can't wait to hear how your reunion goes! it really was interesting. i think i could have made more of an effort to talk to more people but it was still cool.

plady - i have about 3 friends from high school who i remain in touch with. since they all live in the same town still, they see a lot more people out and about than i do so i usually rely on them for updates, etc. if they did not plan to go to the reunion with me, however, i am not sure i would have gone at all

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#1152 of 1384 Old 06-25-2007, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Whew...what a run! I did 3.02 around town in 28 minutes. My last mile was just a tad over 8 minutes. I smoked this run. It started pouring the last mile and I admit I turned my head back to try and get a few drops in my mouth. Man this was one awesome run. I put dd to bed, read her some stories, tanked ds up, handed him to dh and took off. I will have to try this again. Nothing left to do after the run, it's quite exhilirating.
Man. That rocks. I love posts like this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimomma View Post
I have problems every so often with my knees ~ which is usually remedied by weights. So, off to the gym I will go a few times this week and I hereby vow to be more consistent with the weights...
Sounds good. Knee issues seem to generally be due to a strength imbalance between the different major muscle groups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonikitaUT View Post
Megs, how is your baby sweater going? I can't wait to see it on the Nevster. :
I'm still on the back section. I was rockin' up the stockinette, but then I left on my big-arse driving trip and haven't touched it in over a week. Plus I was about to hit the section that frustrated my sister, so I was doing some research to try and prepare for it (the frustration involved making decreases on the "wrong" side, yet still having them curl over in the same direction on the "right" side).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLove View Post
This weekend was great with James being here. I did lots of laundry, talking, and cross-training. :
Bowm chick-a bowm BOWM. Niiiiiiice.

I tell ya, there's nothing that makes a person more excited for someone else's crosstraining joys than finally -- FINALLY -- finding lots of joy in it themselves.

Crosstrain away, Dingoes!

I spent an obscene amount of money at the garden nursery down the street today. But... well, it had to be done. I've put large pots at the bottom of each leg of the arbor (which frames the deck stairs). In one pot I planted Wisteria, and in the other, Japanese Honeysuckle. The pots were the really expensive part -- our climate demands well-fortified outdoor pots. I put a small blooming ground-cover-ish shrub in the front, too. Duuuuude. Reading back over that -- that was a very small amount of gardening for the money. le sigh.

Time for Nevie's bath!

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#1153 of 1384 Old 06-26-2007, 12:19 AM
bec

BBM, I am feeling really envious of your run! I wimped out on running this evening. It is so humid here, that I could barely breathe outside. Blech. I've had laundry sitting outside for 8 hours, and it is still damp!

But, I did get all that yardwork done, and a shortish walk with Abby on my back, and Emily in the jog stroller, while we went to pick Katie up from camp (about 15-20 minutes, total. So, at least I wasn't totally idle.

Of course, I also had some frozen custard.:

Maybe I'll get some time in tomorrow. I've been having more luck lately getting Abby to sleep on her own in the bed. Maybe I can get a few miles on the treadmill tomorrow while she does that.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#1154 of 1384 Old 06-26-2007, 12:42 AM

Yay, great run bbm! I had an almost as great run tonight too! Dh and I had a miscommunication, so he took off with out me thinking I wasn't going, so I ran alone, at 9 pm, in the cool night breeze, even though it was still terribly humid. I haven't run in 5 days, and lots of frustrations to pound out. Ran 3 miles in 27:42, and felt like I could run forever! I felt like you did when you were 4 and running downhill, just for the fun of it!
#1155 of 1384 Old 06-26-2007, 01:05 AM

What a great description doctorjen - running down hill when you were four, for the sheer joy! Did you do windmill arms?

So, I"m already up for the 2nd time tonight. Ds woke at 10:40, and again at 11:40. I'm not nursing him because I know it's not a hunger thing. I just keep hoping he'll figure out that he's 6 months old, not 6 weeks. As megs would say, le sigh. Off to try and sleep for at least 2 more hours (then I'll nurse him back)
#1156 of 1384 Old 06-26-2007, 01:16 AM

Quote:
What a great description doctorjen - running down hill when you were four, for the sheer joy! Did you do windmill arms?

So, I"m already up for the 2nd time tonight. Ds woke at 10:40, and again at 11:40. I'm not nursing him because I know it's not a hunger thing. I just keep hoping he'll figure out that he's 6 months old, not 6 weeks. As megs would say, le sigh. Off to try and sleep for at least 2 more hours (then I'll nurse him back)
First -- the top paragraph makes me think of the opening credits to the "Little House on the Prairie" TV series. Can almost hear the strains of the orchestra in the background...

Second -- I must give credit first to Chiromama (an MDC mama in my DDC), because I've totally ripped "le sigh" off of her. And then my husband pointed out the other day that it's originally from the Pe Pe le Pew cartoons as a little thought bubble -- I think above the head of the black cat that Pe Pe loves (she gets a white stripe accidentally and Pe Pe thinks she is a skunk -- n'est-ce pas?).

Had a lovely bath in our new jetted tub tonight. It's too short (lengthwise), really, but it gets the job done. Dan is brewing up his latest beer. I am enjoying some good Washington Cabernet (hoorah, Costco -- less than $6/bottle!).

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#1157 of 1384 Old 06-26-2007, 02:01 AM

Awesome runs BBM and DrJen

I did 3 mi at the rec center, but it was definitely plodding, not pounding I've got 5 days to run 9 miles to be at the halfway point of my 2007 mileage goal by end of June!

NRR1: 3 more days til DH gets home, I am so bored!

NRR2: I got a review on a manuscript back today and it had ONE change - I had used the term "fuel oil" somewhere I should have used "crude oil" Okay, I think I can handle fixing that I will be so delighted if it goes on through smoothly... it is from my masters work and is getting dated (4 years now) so I'm hoping this is a good sign

Jo - I didn't know you worked in Neenah... I interviewed for a job at the Kimberly Clark plant there about 6 years ago....

Megs - Your gardening and arbor sound beautiful!

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#1158 of 1384 Old 06-26-2007, 02:06 AM

so sorry for the drive by...been very busy with photos.... I havent' had time to read here today yet, but if you're interested in seeing cute photos of animals from the rescue place I photographed yesterday or my girls with big lolipops tonight...go to my photography blog. Link in the sig

It's my last week at work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No running for me until these lungs heal...it's bad.

I'll catch up tomorrow. Love ya all!!
#1159 of 1384 Old 06-26-2007, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs_BK View Post
Dan is brewing up his latest beer. I am enjoying some good Washington Cabernet (hoorah, Costco -- less than $6/bottle!).
Dh brews beer, also. Although, he's an amateur ~ he uses the Mr. Beer set-up!! He's looked at different brewing websites and gets intimidated by some of the home brewing experts out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicocj View Post
I've got 5 days to run 9 miles to be at the halfway point of my 2007 mileage goal by end of June!
You can SOO do that!! Good for you in keeping with your goal.

Last night, I did the Yoga Today video from their website CherylAnn posted yesterday. I would really love to have a good yoga foundation. It would only help this frequent tightness I experience from running. I did about 15 mins of the download before dd woke and needed some help falling back to sleep...

Was planning on running a few easy miles first thing this morning, but I decided to lounge in bed and relax away some AF cramps.
#1160 of 1384 Old 06-26-2007, 09:38 AM

jo ~ I thought about you and Reb while I was there. It was a very last minute trip. I *will* meet up with you. If you ever need help on the farm... give me a call.

CherylAnn ~ I'll meet you on the mat between 9 and 9:30. I'm awake now (7:30), but I don't feel like changing out of my pjs just yet.

I plan on running tonight after a Pampered Chef party I'm going to with my MIL. Keep me to it ladies!

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#1161 of 1384 Old 06-26-2007, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicocj View Post
I've got 5 days to run 9 miles to be at the halfway point of my 2007 mileage goal by end of June!
ummm . . . i have 180 to hit halfway. i think your chances are significantly better than mine.
#1162 of 1384 Old 06-26-2007, 10:07 AM

A question for those who have trained for a "big race" ~ what do you do to keep yourself motivated once the race is done? I'm having major anxiety about this. I've been training for the Danskin Tri since January. I looked back at my training log and I am amazed at how much I've done. But I'm all stressed about what will happen when the race is done. Do I just sign up for another race to keep my momentum and motivation up? Do I take it easy for a few months? I'm the kind of person who needs a goal to work towards, otherwise, I find it hard to get out and do my thing each day. How do you cope with the "post-race blues"?

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#1163 of 1384 Old 06-26-2007, 10:15 AM

wow. some year I'll set a mileage goal..... :

last night I was supposed to walk with my friend but we had huge, booming, thunderstorms for a few hours! it was really nice bc we are in a drought, but not so nice for the exercising mamas. oh well.

as far as post-race blues, I have found it helpful to A. Get really sick and B. Get pregnant : takes your mind off the daily grind. no really, I have no idea what "normal" people do. I've been thinking that having races about twice a year is do-able, like halfs or tris, and then you have something to look forward to but not right away.
#1164 of 1384 Old 06-26-2007, 10:36 AM

BBM- What an awesome run!! You are doing so well!!

JayGee- I always pick another event about a month after the big race to shoot for. Something smaller that you can race all out. Use all the endurance and fitness you have built to just have a lot of fun and kick butt.

Still plugging away through the week. Had to endure a 30 minute conversation with ex where he begged for me back. Right now I just want his stuff out of my house. The house is beginning to have a new vibe. Much calmer. It's weird to notice the difference.

Swam 1500 meters yesterday. Running tonight, however long I can manage in the predicted 95 degree heat. Then Joe is coming over to play with the kids and keep me company.

Miss you mamas!! Keep running everyone and drink lots of water!!
#1165 of 1384 Old 06-26-2007, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2babybees View Post
Swam 1500 meters yesterday. Running tonight, however long I can manage in the predicted 95 degree heat. Then Joe is coming over to play with the kids and keep me company.
:

I did my run, lifting and planking last night. I decided to increase the weight for my shoulder lifting and I'm really feeling it today. Ouch. And my chest is still sore from 2 days ago. I think I need to eat more protein.

#1166 of 1384 Old 06-26-2007, 10:49 AM

sigh, no run, no nothin' (well sitting around drinking 2 beers, eating cheese and pizza and shooting the s*** with friends and dh does count for something -- aside from a record beer consumption for me ).

who asked about the daily yoga workout? cherylann? anyhow I figured out who it was that uses it!!! Naughty Dingo. My mamazine came yesterday due to mail forwarding and she writes about it there. We need to get ND active on the food blog (and the knitting blog for that matter). She writes about both.

another hot day here. Hazy hot and humid. But I made it out of the house before 9, a record for this summer. Off to write write write.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#1167 of 1384 Old 06-26-2007, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
How do you cope with the "post-race blues"?
I sign up for another event a month or so down the road. After my first Danskin I felt so lost without anything to look towards so I signed up for another sprint distance and that really helped. And the crazy thing was that I didn't even train for the second one very hard but I had much better times anyway. Let's hear it for experience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeth View Post
as far as post-race blues, I have found it helpful to B. Get pregnant :
That has worked for me too!
I just checked how far off my mileage goal I am for this year, 432 miles. I'm sure I'll be able to make that up between September 1 and December 31!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2babybees View Post
Then Joe is coming over to play with the kids and keep me company.
:

BBM - Wow! That is some real speed! I hope the rest of your night went better after your last post!

DrJen - Excellent description, I can totally feel what you mean!

Megs - You know it may not sound like a lot of plant at the moment but just think how it will be when that wisteria climbs all over and smells so good! Worth every penny!

Monica - Do you ever use creatine? I tried it for a while way back before I was a mama and I thought it did really help with decreasing the time my muscles were sore. I've been nursing or pregnant pretty much ever since so I haven't used it in a long time, I just remember liking it. And I definitely agree with the weight training keeping the fat down. It always seemed much more efficient for me than just cardio workouts.

I think I should go check out that yoga site. I wonder if they have any pregnancy yoga ideas. I'm getting really bad about moving my bod. And on that note, I'm forcing myself out early to do all my errands on foot today before it gets hot.

: to everyone!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#1168 of 1384 Old 06-26-2007, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
The asthma is really bad this week and my doctor is on maternity leave so I am just trying to figure things out teh bestway I can.

So no running, but I did power walk for 60 minutes last night. Any ideas on why walking would make my back hurt? It happens a lot. When I run my back is fine, but after walking too long, my lower back gets very tight and spasm-y.

The research paper has been submitted finally : Just two short essays to write today and then I am DONE. I have the materials for another course all set, but the official start date isn't until August 1 so no pressure.

I am doing my first ever quilt show and (hopefully) sale here at Art in the Garden I have a few finished quilts and I am working on finshing some felted bags too. I am using up scraps to make a basket full of teddy bear/doll quilts too. I might try to complete a quilt top or too and offer to finish them to suit - it all depends onhow much I can get done in three weeks
#1169 of 1384 Old 06-26-2007, 11:53 AM

Drive by, sorry. Squeezed in 2 before everything this morning, it was supposed to be three but I ran out of time (and my dogs were tired) because today is R's first day of the preschool summer program. She didn't even look up when I left. I know this is good for everyone and I am already enjoying having three solid hours at work but I'm an emotional wreck today...
#1170 of 1384 Old 06-26-2007, 12:03 PM

Monica, do you do any kind of cool down after you lift? My Exercise Physiology class textbook talked about active and passive recovery from different types of exercise. Evidently, if you've been doing all-out anaerobic exercise (like sprinting or weight lifting), then an active recovery (walking or jogging WAY below your capacity) is helpful to get the lactic acid moving through your body instead of sitting in your muscles. They think it's because the aerobic exercise moves more blood back to your heart and liver, which oxidize all that lactate more efficiently.

Interestingly (OK, maybe just to me), it's not really necessary to do an active "cool down" after consistent aerobic activity where you don't go all-out. Just sitting around is good enough in those instances.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page