Forum Jump: 

Old 07-04-2007, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
happy 4th!

me with a sparkler--->

congrats all you speedy racers!

i am frustrated. i went out for my 2miles and i think i have shin splints, again. : everything i google and read is telling me 'too much, too soon' but honestly - it's a measly two miles! i run/walk a third mile and have been taking 2 days off in between runs instead of only one. maybe i'm just getting old. *sigh*

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2007, 10:30 PM

bec and aquacates ~ you are two speedy women!! Those are great races...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

Slow, painful 3.5 miles this morning. I tried to squeeze it in befroe the parade. I picked the totally wrong route. I ended up fighting parade traffic for the last 2 miles, people trying to park and walk to the parade more than an hour before the start.
IIRC ~ You're in Columbus, right, geofizz? Do you happen to be in Upper Arlington? Dh's family lives there and they were heading out to the UA parade this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post

We had a really nice 4th of July despite the fact that we're not really ideally located. For months dh has been working on building a pond for swimming out in the country and today I got to get in and swim! It is only about a third full but already it took me 15 strokes to freestyle across (and not very straight without goggles and wearing shorts and a T-shirt ) so when it is full it will be HUGE! It was so fun. I grew up swimming in ponds but it has been years since I've had the opportunity. On the way back into town we got popsicles and rented movies just to make it fully festive.
Wow! Your dh is building a pond?!? That sounds like quite a project ~ and pretty cool for you.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:43 PM

We had a lovely 4th. Got to Sandpoint just in time to find my family at our parade-watching spot. There was a second cousin of mine there with her cute little girl and skater husband (totally nice guy) -- hadn't seen her since I was about 7 years old. Just wonderful to catch up. My other cousin and I are already planning how we are going to stalk this cousin so she will come visit more often.

I jumped in the lake as soon as we got to the cabin and swam about 1/3 - 1/2 mile. Wasn't as long as I'd hoped, but I think I was a bit dehydrated (or a lot, still) and I didn't want to be too antisocial. The water felt SOOO amazing. I must get up north again next week and have my aunt watch Nevie so I can get some more great open water time under my belt.

We left at 3pm and Nevie slept the WHOLE DRIVE HOME! Stopped at Sports Authority on the way so I could find a two-piece swimsuit that works for my nursing ladies... ended up with a cute Speedo set -- top size: XL, bottom size: M. Niiiiiice. Sigh.

I'm going to run tomorrow since that's easier with Nevie in tow, then go for a loooong bike ride while Nevie is at the Montessori school on Friday. It's flippin' hot today, though, so i better get that run in early. And in the shade.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trimomma View Post
IIRC ~ You're in Columbus, right, geofizz? Do you happen to be in Upper Arlington? Dh's family lives there and they were heading out to the UA parade this morning.
Half block from the parade route. We just got back from the fireworks. This place takes the 4th SERIOUSLY.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:45 AM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylAnn View Post
Wow, Bec!! 21:59!!
Ok, D'oh! Sorry to get you ladies all worked up. That was a typo.: I meant 31:59. Boy, howdy, I woulda been really cruising if that had been my time! Sorry about that!!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 07-05-2007, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
This place takes the 4th SERIOUSLY.
Yes, I remember this vividly from our trip there last summer during the 4th activities. The parade (even though it rained during the entire parade last year) and Ross Rd. pool made quite an impression on dc!!
Old 07-05-2007, 03:28 AM

WTG Aquacates :

Plady - that sounds like a great 4th!

Wendy - what is up with July 4th in OH??? When we visited the ILs in Westerville a couple years back it was a BIG deal - neighborhood parade/event, town parade, fireworks and orchestra, etc... Was it fun?

Megs - sounds fun! Too funny about the speedo set! (well maybe funny is not the right word but YKWIM )

Poppy - could it be anything else? Shoes or something? Can you do any extra stretching or strengthening to help? I hate shin splints!

CherylAnn - my but those brownies sound good But I am looking forward to hearing about all the delicious and nourishing foods you enjoy tomorrow!!

We had an interesting 4th - I worked on the ole dissertation all day, then went to DH's advisor's for dinner - I was thinking it was a cookout, but no it was a full out Korean dinner (which I think was way better than a cookout would have been) with this yummy sliced beef (they are Korean and she is a really good cook!) I seriously will need a run tomorrow

Happy 4th!

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
Old 07-05-2007, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicocj View Post
We had an interesting 4th - I worked on the ole dissertation all day, then went to DH's advisor's for dinner - I was thinking it was a cookout, but no it was a full out Korean dinner (which I think was way better than a cookout would have been) with this yummy sliced beef (they are Korean and she is a really good cook!) I seriously will need a run tomorrow
mmmm... Bulgogi, eh? Gooood stuff. I had that at a little shop near Osan Air Base once. So dang good. You can keep the Kimchi, though. I'll take a little bit in moderation, just for flavor. But then it's gots to go.

Aurora inspired me to do a little knitting by movie watching, so I finally broke open the moving boxes with our DVDs in them (yes, they've been sitting unopened for almost six months) and put in "Sense and Sensibility" while finishing another eight rows on nevie's cardigan. It's going slow now since I have to do the cabled placket, but it's not bad. I slip too many stitches this time of night, though.

And with that, i think I will go join my hunky hubbo in bed for snuggles. maybe even sleep. Woot, woot.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:18 AM

Callie, I only ate one! Your dinner sounded fantastic! Fun and yummy!

Poppywise, is there a chance it could be the kind of shoes you are wearing? It can't be age! It just can't. I think we're the same age!

RM, thank you so much for your kind words and commiseration. I had such a nice evening with friends tonight. It took the sting out of it all.

Looking forward to a run tomorrow. I'm way behind on water, though. My ring is stuck on my finger and my shoes feel tight. I need to drink a ton tonight before sleeping.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:19 AM

Poppy, when my shins act up I've found that it's sometimes actually my IT band that is tight and causing it. When I stretch the IT band I'll feel my shins stretch, too. And when my IT band is stretched out I never have trouble with my shins (unless I need new shoes). Good luck.

I've been eating nonstop for a week and wasn't able to run last week because of my lungs....so I feel like a elephant dung.

Jo and I are running 10 this morning It will be my longest run post-marathon. That's pathetic for 1.5 months since the marathon, isn't it????
Old 07-05-2007, 11:26 AM

Tell creb to take it easy on me. I'm tired.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:46 AM

Ran 3 miles yesterday w/kiddos during the window of time when it was not raining. Our parade was cancelled but my kids and neighbors decorated themselves and bikes in my garages and then did their own little rainy parade on our street. Luckily it stopped raining in time for fireworks then poured on the way home. Don't know if I will get out today or not.

I posted the sweet and sour tofu on the recipe blog.

New York Times has a short article about the Peachtree race being held at various military bases in Iraq. Neat to see that enthusiasm and the support of the organizers of the race to allow it.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:53 AM

Callie ~ I love beef bulgogi too! Dh spent a year in Korea (Camp Red Cloud in Uijongbu) and I visited him twice for 2 weeks each time. Korean food is delish, except I'm not too fond of kimchi either, Megs .

Bec ~ 31:57 is still a great time. Good for you!

All those 4th of July celebrations sound like so much fun. I went for a 21 mile bike with my friend in the morning and then a family hike in a local park. The children did remarkably well considering the 93 degree heat and 90% humidity. The baby was constantly screaming to be out of the jogger because she wants to walk with her brother and sister . This morning is my last workout before the race on Sunday, so I'm heading to the base to swim in the 50m pool . Oh, and my cold seems to not be materializing, thanks to Zicam.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 07-05-2007, 12:43 PM
bec

Thanks, JayGee! I am pleased with the time. Maybe next year, I'll be closer to my typo speed.

I'm glad to hear your cold is evaporating. Could it have been allergies? I know my throat has been a bit scratchy the last couple of days, and it, mysteriously gets better when I'm in air conditioning.

So, I think I'm going to sign up for a 10K for September! I need something to keep me motivated and something to train for.

Oh, and Katie said the cutest thing last night at the fireworks. She has this ability to really make abstract connections, and after staring at the fireworks for a few minutes she kind of gasped, and said, "Wow! They look like music!" :

Old 07-05-2007, 12:50 PM
bec

Ok, make it official! I just signed up!!!

Old 07-05-2007, 12:52 PM

I was inspired to start running two years ago after watching my dh run the Peachtree. I missed it last year due to being very pregnant , but yesterday I finally did it. And you know what? IT WAS AWESOME!!!!
We had to get up at 4:30 to get ready and load up the kiddos. We went and met my mom at my aunt's house and left the kids with her. One of my cousins dropped us off near the start (dh, 3 other cousins and me). Dh and male cousin were in group 1 and 2, so we split ways and we 3 girls went to the group 3 staging area. For those of you not familiar with the Peachtree, it's HUGE-55,000 runners. There was just so much excitment in the air. They had two planes do a fly-by and then the race started. Our group was walked to the start about 10 minutes after the first group started and we were officially started at 15:04. The crowds were out and cheering and there were bands out around the course. It was so fun!

We started the first mile a little too fast b/c of the excitment, but found a good pace after that. "Heartbreak Hill" starts at mile 3 and wasn't nearly as bad as I had heard people say it was. We lost one of the cousins a little before mile 3, when she took a walk break. I lost the other cousin up Heartbreak Hill when I needed to take it fast and she slowed down. So I ended up running by myself for about 1.5 or 2 miles (not exactly sure as I kept missing the mile markers). As we approached the last leg of the race, I heard the cousin I lost on the hill yelling for me . She caught up so we could finish together, which was very cool. We really picked up speed at the end and had a great finish. We both felt such a sense of accomplishment.
It was by far my best race experience ever and I felt so.damn.good!

So now cousin and I are planning to train for the Atlanta 1/2 on Thanksgiving. We normally both spend T'giving with inlaws and see this as a great opportunity . We are calling it the "Run from the Inlaws" and that is some powerful motivation.

Mamabeth-how was it for you???

Congrats to all of the other July 4th runners!

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
Old 07-05-2007, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmommo View Post
New York Times has a short article about the Peachtree race being held at various military bases in Iraq. Neat to see that enthusiasm and the support of the organizers of the race to allow it.
This happens with Bloomsday (the 12K road race here in Spokane that usually garners between 45 and 60,000 participants), too. I arrived in Iraq just before Bloomsday the year I went, so not enough time to find out that someone was doing it within our base perimeter. Dang it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
Oh, and Katie said the cutest thing last night at the fireworks. She has this ability to really make abstract connections, and after staring at the fireworks for a few minutes she kind of gasped, and said, "Wow! They look like music!" :
That is the perfect way to describe fireworks! Sit that girl down and show her "Fantasia" now. And way to go on signing up for the 10K!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy View Post
It was by far my best race experience ever and I felt so.damn.good!

So now cousin and I are planning to train for the Atlanta 1/2 on Thanksgiving. We normally both spend T'giving with inlaws and see this as a great opportunity . We are calling it the "Run from the Inlaws" and that is some powerful motivation.
Great race report! I'm so happy for you. And I *LOVE* the "run from the in-laws" idea. I have no doubt that my own ILs' presence in my house contributed to my speedy evening run last Friday...

Old 07-05-2007, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
bec - Fantasia is a neat suggestion, so is reading "The Magician's Nephew" - the first book in the Narnia series. Narnia is created by Aslan singing a song and it describes how the light, plants, trees, flowers, birds and animals came into being along with the music. The description used to send tingles through me when I was little!
Old 07-05-2007, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Yikes, I have a horrible feeling we have lost our camera. dh took it to the school to take pictures at the year end assembly and I haven't seen it since. I can't imagine him leaving it at the shool - what I am afraid of is that it got left in the van and we rarely lock it - and if we forgot to bring the camera in, it could have been stolen. I hope not. There is no way we can afford it replace it if it is gone We got it through an amazing deal - and any spare cash -as if - has gone into this new computer.

I hate to think it could be gone. I was just going to update my blog with new photos and realized the camera is missing. Please tell me it is probably just buried at the bottom of the laundry mountain waiting to be folded.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:40 PM

my ovaries hurt. 3 year old boy twins, just adopted from Romania. holy cuteness! one of my coworkers just adopted them and they made their first office visit just now. isn't it funny that little babies do nothing for me, but cute little boys in overalls make me swoon.

our fourth was uneventful. rain dampened the cookout and i was in an unsocial mood anyway.

abs done for today. instead of running, i get to go for a bike ride on (hopefully) my new bike.

HBM - congrats on your Peachtree!
Old 07-05-2007, 01:43 PM

Just had an email from my cousin-according to her Nike chip/ipod we finished in 66:19. If that's correct, it's really fast for me. I'm not sure how accurate it is, though.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:11 PM

HBM, what a great race report!

So, I just checked the official results for the 10k and my official time was 58:03, with my ipod time being 56:57, and officially Purple Tank Top and I tied! Despite her long legs!

Shanti, I sincerely hope that your camera is found soon! I hate it when expensive things like cameras are unaccounted for!

Ugh, the kiddos are fractious due to staying up waaay too late last night for fireworks. I always end up thinking that watching fireworks is not worth the missed sleep , how unpatriotic of me But Bec, I absolutely love Katie's comment, it gave me chills because it is one of those things that is just so true.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:16 PM

WTG, HBM!!! Sounded like such a fun experience. I'd love to do a huge race like that someday.

cReb and 1jooj, have a great 10 miler! It's great that you are already doing long runs again. I wish I hadn't lost my long run stamina so soon.

Planning on 3 miles and yoga in a few minutes.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:35 PM

Hey Cheryl (and anybody else ), dh and I are planning to do the Las Vegas half in Dec 2008 and would LOVE some Dingo company. : And yes, we do plan for things well in advance. I always HAVE to have a race and a trip in my future to look forward to and plan/obcess about. Come do it with me!

Old 07-05-2007, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Hey Cheryl (and anybody else ), dh and I are planning to do the Las Vegas half in Dec 2008 and would LOVE some Dingo company. : And yes, we do plan for things well in advance. I always HAVE to have a race and a trip in my future to look forward to and plan/obcess about. Come do it with me!
That is in my neck of the woods!!! I don't know if I will still be here in 2008 though

HBM - also, WTG on the Ptree! That is an awesome race report!

Megs and Jaygee - I had too google Bulgogi to see if that was one of the dishes we had (she just called it seasoned beef ) and it was! Not a huge fan of kimchi either. Also good were these vegetables and an egg over sticky rice I wish I could make rice like that

Shanti - hope you find the camera!

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
Old 07-05-2007, 02:50 PM

Quote:
What a fantastic idea! I'll run it by dh. After all, we'd have more than a year to plan. And Las Vegas is pretty much his favorite place on earth. IRL in Vegas 2008!!!
Old 07-05-2007, 02:54 PM

So a possible west-coast Dingo meet-up in Vegas in 2008??? It's also dh's favorite place on earth and it's pretty high on my list, too. It sounds perfect for a race, nice and flat,then afterward you can just sit at a machine and have someone bring you drinks (do they have gatorade???) all day long.

Old 07-05-2007, 03:54 PM

hellooooo, long lost dingoes!!!!!!

I have ten million pages behind me since I have been online and so I'm hoping I haven't missed any BEEG news (pg, etc), but I have missed y'all! I will give my reports and then probably be off again for another few days. but can't wait to see you guys camping in a week or so!

camping report: RAIN! All night long. dh and my friend's dh did the "testosterone brigade" and rigged up the rain guard really well, but it was still damp and loud in the tent. plus no campfire at night. but the kids did great, the next morning was lovely and we had a great breakfast to make up for the night before (pancakes, bacon, and smores : ). I feel really good about going now that we've had our, ahem, dry run. I know some of you are such camping gurus but I am a newbie and it was nice to know that it is a fun option for us.

race report: maybe I was feeling HBM's pain, bc she wasn't???? I really felt the hills this time. The race, of course, was hilarious and fun, we saw the Elvises, got blessed by the Holy Water, and just generally enjoyed the kajillions of people on the course and cheering. It's such a great race. I think we finished around the same time, 1:07, which is slightly slower than last year, but oh well.

my best friend from sem is here and she is totally inspiring me to start lifting some weights. She has been doing body for life and looks great! very fun to see her and her ds too. he and my ds are just so funny together. last night they both had complete and total freakouts at the fireworks, screaming, insanity from two almost 2-year-olds. dh finally took ds home and other kiddo calmed down a bit. but dd was in heaven.

anyway, hopefully I'll be back on a bit but take care mamas, am thinking about y'all! Oh and the next installment of shirts are here and I'm hoping to get them out tomorrow or Sat.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:18 PM
bec

That's a great idea about Fantasia. I think she would enjoy it.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:57 PM

HBM and MB - way to go on the Ptree!! Sounds amazing...

We had a BIG day today - it is DH's birthday, so we rented a canoe and just spent 3 hours with the kids canoeing on the Harpeth River. Oy are my arms tired!

I was also in the paper today I have it posted on my blog, for those who know it. Just PM me if you want to see it.

Thanks for all the shin splint advice mamas! Reb, you may be right. I run in Brooks Adrenaline, my second pair, and I have not had any problems before....so perhaps it is my IT band-thingy. I'll look up some proper stretches.

CherylAnn - that's right, sister- we're not old! Thanks for keeping me in line LOL

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

User Tag List