Hey Dingos, it's July! - Page 34 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#991 of 1011 Old 07-31-2007, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi mamas,
So I went to see the movie, I figured that it probably wasn't going to be full of info I don't already know. On the way in I met a midwife that I'd met the day Wendy was born. She has been a bigwig in the midwifery school/clinic that sponsors the midwife who I had and she came to be supportive. She's also a Catholic mystic nun (?) and she is one of those really sweet spiritual types. Anyway, she doesn't live down here so I was surprised to meet her. But, long story short, seeing the movie, which is basically a promo for homebirthing made me really wish I could go that route again. It had some old familiar faces, Michel Odent (with whom I did a doula training workshop), Ina May Gaskin and Robbie Davis-Floyd (who was a guest here once). Everything about that scene feels so right and normal to me. Am I insane? On one hand I know that the fact I had Wendy at home had nothing to do with the outcome, it was about the prenatal care, about both me and my midwife being too distracted and stressed out to notice the symptoms. By the time I was in labor I have no doubt it was already all over. But on the other hand, I'm scared that if I let this pregnancy go all the way to its natural end date I'll be risking this baby's life, which is not something I can face. So, is there any way to have an early induction co-exist with a natural homebirth?

Oh, did I mention this isn't running related? Sorry, I don't know if this is a real question, a vent or just me being a confused pregnant woman but today I happen to have no one IRL to bounce this off of and, as always, I respect the insights and thoughts you wise women have. So there it is.

Megs - Hope you got that nap in. You are normal. It is not easy to be kind gentle and sweet on not enough sleep.

GMM - Welcome back AF!

Shatz - Good to see you again!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#992 of 1011 Old 07-31-2007, 06:05 PM

HI RUNNING MAMAS!!!!!!!!!

How's it going?

We are all good. Been running a lot. Only 10 weeks til Chicago. Woohoo

My job is good. LOL it is amazing how much a day and a half per week can throw me off. I am finally getting my act together and a new routine in place.

Baby A is awesome. 24 lbs at 7 1/2 months. Nursing great, happy and chubby. She is starting to crawl and is the spitting image of my oldest.

We had a feng shui consultant visit our home. She stopped in the middle and told us to move! We agree. Been looking around at some houses in our neighborhood and getting rid of stuff. It is so liberating.

It is amazing how different my body is reacting to the marathon training. My sciatic gets fussy after long runs, and it seems like my gait is really different after 3 babies. I need new shoes and want to go back to asics I think. I am currently running in adidas trail shoes. I have been valiantly trying to get to the running store but you know how that goes........... one of these months I'll make it LOL

Take care, it is great to pop in. I think of you all every time I run!

ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

#993 of 1011 Old 07-31-2007, 06:05 PM

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say hi! I have been hiding again due to my ongoing all day sickness. I will be 15 weeks on Friday and I spent all day and night yesterday puking. Couldn't even keep water down. Yuck.

Anyway didn't come here just to whine, wanted to see how you were all doing. Going to go back and try and read some of the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantimama View Post
Okay all of you real estate searching Dingoes. It looks like the house acrosse the street from me is going up for sale - gorgeous house, quiet neighbourhood, beautiful beach 2 blocks away, running partner across the street - anyone want to emigrate? :

Do you know how much I would love to live where you do? Just need a job there. Know of any? Do you have an MLS listing number?

Take care ladies!
#994 of 1011 Old 07-31-2007, 06:47 PM

Hi ladies!

My DH and I were gone camping with his side of the family for 4 days then we spent yesterday at another campground with some friends. We were paddling around, swimming, and fishing until the sun went down. While we were with his family, his grandma taught me how to crochet. Well when I was younger (like 10) my grandma taught me but I didn't have the patience then. I caught on very quickly this time around. Now I have the majority of my first dishcloth done in the coolest color ever. I just have to learn how to do the outside to finish it off. MIL will teach me that.

grnmtnmama ~ Your soap and lip balm is to die for! Thanks for the chocolate one... could you see a pattern going?

hollysmom ~

ND ~ Nice to hear from you! So... who is all going to Chicago?

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#995 of 1011 Old 07-31-2007, 06:57 PM

NRR: sick here. me and ds2. ick.

anyway, question....what causes bloating and gas by the end of every day?? my belly starts out flat, and is puffy at the end of every day and gas something awful. sigh. sorry if this is gross.

Plady, wish I could come down and personally delivery you to drjen for your birth. mailed out your package on Saturday. Hope you get it before long!

BBM~finally, I mean finally emailed you back today. thanks for your patience!!

gotta jet.....
#996 of 1011 Old 07-31-2007, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnmtnmama View Post
good news, AF finally arrived. six days late

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs_BK View Post

I'm going to take a bath now. And then, hopefully, a nap. And then maybe I will actually want to pick up my child from school.
I have days, weeks, months like this too. It always passes. Sucks while you're in the middle of it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post

anyway, question....what causes bloating and gas by the end of every day?? my belly starts out flat, and is puffy at the end of every day and gas something awful. sigh. sorry if this is gross.
Oh my... do I have a tale to tell about this... and it may help you. I had ongoing bloating and gas everyday for months on end. I could not figure it out. It was horrible, uncomfortable, and finally got to a point where I went to the doctor for it. I ended up having to do an elimination diet. Turns out the culprit for me was potatoes and possibly other startchy, root veggies (I don't eat much else, but I'm assuming that sweet potatoes, yams etc will do the same thing). As long as I stay away from potatoes or have very minimal amounts, I'm fine. But within hours of chowing down on a bag of potato chips, I'm done for. And for days. I had a sheet about it, but I bet you can find it online. There was about 5 groups of foods that you would eliminate one at a time to see if it helped.

Also, some protein bars do this to me as well, but not nearly as bad. HTH!

I feel like I talk about biking much more than running, but they are both so interchangeable at the moment because of the training that I'm doing. But the bike ride went awesome When GF got here, I asked her how it went and she said that it was awesome for her, but will suck for me... because well, it is mostly uphill and into the wind on the way back. YUCK! But it turned out to be a great workout and I got 19 miles in by the time we were said and done. Went for about an hour and 20 mins. Got sunburned. Forgot sunscreen. Really it's the first time this year for me, so oh well.

So my high for today is completing the bike ride.

My low is that I found out that the state of CA had closed my child support case. I had thought I was FINALLY going to get child support money this next month, but now I'm not. I don't get why they closed it. Makes no sense. But my case worker has submitted the forms to the employer and is going to try to go direct rather than through the state. I feel like I'll never get child support.

coffee-drinking caffix.gifsocial worker in HIV/AIDS ribbonred.giflady-loving ribbonrainbow.gifbike-riding bikenew.gifmom of two twins.gif
#997 of 1011 Old 07-31-2007, 09:31 PM

Sorry to do a drive-by, but does anyone have experience with heat exhaustion? i.e. how long before I can run again? online says recovery in 24-48 hours but I don't think they mean go run another 12 miles.

I *should* have listened to my dog when he laid down 3 miles in this morning and refused to go any further, but stupidly kept going. I *should* have figured out the run was cursed when I found my gatorade bottle had soap in it, but dumped it out and stupidly kept going. Ugh. Thank god I was carrying my cellphone, though DH didn't answer right away because he was picking up DD from school. I almost called 911, and would have had to if he hadn't come pick me up. It was very scary, body cramps, nausea, dizzyness, etc., after I got cooled off sitting in the shade and went to go stand by the road to wait for him, it started all over again. It must have been the lack of sleep over the weekend and lingering dehydration from the food poisioning, because it wasn't really that hot, (87º) though there was little breeze and very little shade.

High: new PR for distance
Low: (besides the obvious) falling short of my planned run by 1.5 miles

I am seriously questioning whether I really want to do this marathon, or just stick with the half next month.
#998 of 1011 Old 07-31-2007, 10:23 PM

Plady - is there a midwife who would consider any induction methods at home? What about just having your water broken - if you didn't go into labor within a reasonable time (and you could decide what that is for you - 12 hrs? 24 hrs? 48 hrs?) you could just go to the hospital and say your water broke, right? You'd have been planning an earlier birth anyway, so nothing changed there, right? I don't know, I can't wrap my brain around you tied to a bed, feeling like you can't even ask to sit up because you're only supposed to be grateful they are helping you, know what I mean?

High for the day: Attended a lovely birth to a first time mama, first vaginal birth I've been to in a month somehow. Also, had a medical student with me (who is working with one of our OBs) and got to do a little indoctrination. After only seeing flat on their back mamas, she was surprised to see my un-epiduralized mama squat on the bed, roar at the top of her lungs, and push her baby out while I knelt on the floor. Love it when I get the chance to talk about normal birth with a trainee who may not ever see another one during her training (and this girl's planning to be an OB.)

Low: Eh, it was a pretty good day! Maybe the fact that I didn't finish all my office notes today because I ran out to attend my client and I'll have to finish them all tomorrow.

RR: Ran a nice 4 miles on Sat, didn't run Sun or yesterday because I chose to hang with dh instead. I did ride about 12 miles total yesterday though, half of it with an almost 40 lb kid in the bike seat, though, so that has to count for something. I'll get out tonight I hope.

Balancin1 - holy crap woman, you need to be careful! Don't make any decision until you've recovered, though, about the half vs. full. Wait until you're feeling better to make your decision. We need to come up with a day to run together and hit the zoo, or something!
#999 of 1011 Old 07-31-2007, 11:00 PM
bec

Great idea wemoon!

Hi: I took the girls to the zoo today and we had a wonderful time.

Lo: We owe some money that, for reasons I really shouldn't get into on the internet, we really shouldn't have to pay. But, because justice is too expensive, we will have to pay anyway (or some portion of it, anyway). It just has me bummed and frustrated.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#1000 of 1011 Old 07-31-2007, 11:13 PM

Plady - i'm sorry that induction and home birth don't necessarily go hand in hand. sounds like you know in your heart what you need to do to keep your little girl safe and you just have to find the way to work towards that. these are scattered thoughts, but I think you're doing great despite of everything.

rode mtn bike for almost two hours tonight and it was super fun. totally helped me clear my head of all the crazy nonsense of the past week. headed to bed now.
#1001 of 1011 Old 07-31-2007, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Hey y'all, just checking in from Rockville, MD. I'm attending a statistical programming class for the next 3 days. It's actually been a kind of nice day - got to shop at a big fancy mall that has stores I can usually only order from online. But it's so quiet. I miss my little family.

Pumpkinseed, are you around this week, or did you take off on vacation?

Now for some Harry Potter time before sleep; planning to get up and run 2 miles in the morning.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#1002 of 1011 Old 07-31-2007, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Dingo View Post
HI RUNNING MAMAS!!!!!!!!!
hi ND!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollysMom View Post
Just wanted to say hi! I have been hiding again due to my ongoing all day sickness. I will be 15 weeks on Friday and I spent all day and night yesterday puking. Couldn't even keep water down. Yuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wemoon View Post
:So my high for today is completing the bike ride.

My low is that I found out that the state of CA had closed my child support case. I had thought I was FINALLY going to get child support money this next month, but now I'm not. I don't get why they closed it. Makes no sense. But my case worker has submitted the forms to the employer and is going to try to go direct rather than through the state. I feel like I'll never get child support.
glad the ride went well! ugh on the support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balancin1 View Post
Sorry to do a drive-by, but does anyone have experience with heat exhaustion? i.e. how long before I can run again? online says recovery in 24-48 hours but I don't think they mean go run another 12 miles.
i have no idea! i had heat exhaustion once after running in insanely hot weather in college, but i don't remember what i did afterwards. i'd second not making any major decisions until after you're feeling back to normal. when is the marathon?

RR - did the killer hill workout tonight - went well felt strong, despite the heat. 5K tomorrow night. beer run on saturday

high - being told i missed my calling by playing basketball in h.s. and rowing in college, that i should have run then.

low - nothing really, fairly good day - i was a little frustrated trying to schedule kids for testing over the summer, but nothing to gripe about.
#1003 of 1011 Old 08-01-2007, 12:38 AM

RR Addendum: Ran 3 miles after dark. Little ds came with me on the bike for 2.4 miles of it, then he ditched his bike, grabbed a drink and ran the last 0.2 with me, then we walked a cool down together. Although I love having some me time when I run, I most especially love when my running fits in well with family time. I swear sometimes as the mother of 4 most of my life revolves around trying to get some good quality time with one kid or another one on one. So we biked, ran, walked together, and especially enjoyed the beautiful night sky and harvest moon. It was good.

eksmom - Miss you, mama. And HP7 - whew, intense. You have to let me know what you think when you finish! (by email or pm so's not to do any spoiling, though!)

mamabeth - actually, I'm thinking you're out of town, right? My dingo shirt arrived today! I didn't run in it tonight because I want to wear it tomorrow to lunch with my aunt and mom and show it off!

Speaking of my aunt and my mom, please send me major, major relative-tolerance vibes for tomorrow. My mom especially just pushes all my buttons and since we'll only see her this one time while she's in town, I want to have a nice visit!
#1004 of 1011 Old 08-01-2007, 01:22 AM

ohmmmmmmm... don't strangle your mom, DrJen.... ohhhhmmmmmmm

Speaking of Moms, my mom popped in for a Nevie fix tonight after her appointment near our house -- she is doing that Positive Changes hypnosis thing for weight loss. I am, as is my nature, silently skeptical... but hey, the placebo effect 'cures' 30% of patients, so it can't hurt anything. Except her wallet. But it was nice to have her pop in, and Nevie adores her, so that's always fun to watch.

Took a long nap with Nevie this afternoon, so I'm feeling a bit better. I'm so glad I have such a supportive partner in this whole sleep junk thing. If Dan were down on me right now, it would not be a pretty situation.

Well, despite nap, I'm still darn tired.

CRAP! Forgot to set the kitchen timer for some chicken I'm baking up to have in sandwiches this week.... must go check!

Plady -- I am thinking about you so much, beloved lady.

Shanti -- I'd love to move in next door! I think the expat life would be great ;-) Not going to happen, but it's nice in theory.

katherine -- statistical programming... sexy I think my DH would like that class.

well, there were other personals in my mind, but they have all disappeared.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#1005 of 1011 Old 08-01-2007, 02:13 AM

Hi Schatz!! I'm glad you checked in.

GMM, Woohoo!! Glad AF finally arrived!

Shantimama, I would love to live in your neighborhood!

Balancin, Yikes! That happened to Naomi while we were on vacation. Except that she actually passed out. We had to wait in the sun for the dolphin encounter folks and they were late. She was reading HP and walking around with her nose in the book after having it in the book for the hour drive to this place. So, not only was she dehydrated, but she was probably a little motion sick, too. As soon as they let us into the park and we started walking toward the dolphin pool she said she felt sick and had to sit down. I got her up and walking again (shouldn't have done that) because we had to hurry to get there or she wouldn't have been allowed to participate. But then she just stopped dead in her tracks and said, "I feel dizzy." And the next thing I knew I was lowering her to the ground. Immediately her skin was completely soaked with sweat. She was only out for a few seconds. We gave her some water and some almonds and within a couple minutes she was okay to walk. By the time the dolphin encounter started she looked pretty good. A friend of mine who is a nurse said that once this happens, people are more inclined to have it happen again, so we should make extra sure that she is well-hydrated. So, next time you go out to run, be extra careful, okay? I agree with dr.Jen about making the decision later. You still have time to decide. Heck, you're already past ready for the half!

Bec, ugh about the money. Been there, too. With the "justice is too expensive" deal. Took a few years to get it behind us. I hope it works out okay for you!! Love your new ddddc!

eksmom, good to see you! Fun to know that others are reading HP, too. Naomi got our copy first, as soon as we drove back into town last Friday (we had it pre-ordered from our local bookstore). Fletcher and I are both going to re-read HP6 before we read 7, and Fletcher has 6 right now. I almost can't wait! But, since it's the last book and the frenzy will be over for me for good as soon as I finish it, I suppose there is no harm in prolonging the anticipation a bit longer.

Dr.Jen, sending big vibes to you for tolerance and peace during your visit tomorrow!!

Plady, I'm also thinking of you a lot lately. You are doing so amazingly well, considering. Are you having any symptoms?

High: Watching my daughter and 10 of her friends swim and dive in the lake for several hours this evening. She and one of her friends planned a going away party for another friend who is moving. The first half of the party was at the lake and now they are all in my kitchen making root beer floats. She is such a good kid and her friends are such great kids, too! I feel so lucky right now!

Low: Shallow, I know. I'm miserable over the huvacious amount of sour cream and onion chips I consumed at the party. Among other things. Including a root beer float. Ugh. I think (and I know this is ridiculous and impossible) I can see the fat already accumulating on my body! I had a good 6 month period where I felt pretty darned good about my weight. I'm so scared right now.
#1006 of 1011 Old 08-01-2007, 07:56 AM

high - watching my hunka hunka love crawling across the floor talking to every toy he encounters...sigh.

low - same said boy waking every 45 minutes to an hour last night. Wow...he had gotten to where he was waking 2 to 3 times at predictable times. I hope this isn't going to be a pattern.

No run today. I ran about 3-3 1/2 yesterday in the hottest part of the day. Not my smartest moment.

Plady - I think of you often too. I wish I had words of wisdom, but I just want you to have that baby safe in your arms. I can't wait. Is your tag in your signature correct? I guess I thought you were further along.

Balancin - remember the fabric you sent? I made a little girl the prettiest little cape with some of the purple floofy fabric. It is too pretty.

DrJen - channel the dingo vibes....this too shall pass, this too shall pass...my mom will not be here forever...repeat as needed

Uh..that's all I can remember...must go get coffee

Oh yeah, question for any knowledgeable dingos...I have to have a root canal thursday (yay me ), is the novacaine stuff okay for nursing?
#1007 of 1011 Old 08-01-2007, 08:45 AM

abs are done for the day. my ipod 'timer' crashed, so no planks today. so i did extra of other stuff. not sure what the day will hold exercise wise. there's potential for a run or a mtn bike tonight.

trying to decide if i want to do a 13 or 7 mile trail run at the end of this month...on one hand it could be fun and would help in keeping me in shape. but on the other hand it would be nice to not have to focus so much on running for a little bit.

off to go pick my lettuce for lunch. speaking of which:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post

i had a problem with gas and bloating when i was working a job i hated. it would get stuck and be excruciatingly painful unless i could lay down which would enable the gaz to move along. i had to eliminate lunchtime salads, but it's also aggrevated by stress and anxiety.
#1008 of 1011 Old 08-01-2007, 09:00 AM

wemoon~nooooooooooooo! not the elimination diet and my beloved energy bars!!!!!!! aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh! running away now! oh, boy, okay, I'll ask my new Nurse practicioner about it at my first visit at the end of the month. She uses natural remedies as well as medicines. All kidding aside, thanks for the info. You may be on to something.

grnmntmama~hmmm, lunch salads huh? I have a huge one daily and love it. Lots of veggies and some fruits in it. stress and anxiety...? hmmm...you got me thinking here. thanks for the input! also, been fitting in some ab work this week while on the floor with my kiddos, thanks for the motivation!

balancin1~soooo sorry to hear of your heat exhaustion. please take care of yourself!! I agree not to make an major decisions right now. We just got paid, so I'm making train reservations this week (or begining of next week when GM is gone so things settle down a bit). I'll email you the details. mama

Cherylann~been thinking a lot about you. Your running going okay?

Ek~hope you have a great trip, didn't know you where going anywhere. Have fun on your run!

I dont' have time for all the personals I want, but know I love you all!!

Got to tend to GM and kiddos. She has been great this week, I guess the new medicine is helping her mood and alzhiemers.

RR: no running yesterday (6miles) or today (14 miles) due to being ill. I'll see if just skipping them or trying to rearrange the week would be best to do now.
#1009 of 1011 Old 08-01-2007, 09:13 AM

Runningmommy ~ I have that problem when I eat too much soy. When I was pregnant and trying to cram in 80+ g of protein a day, I ate a lot of Kashi GoLean, which has a ton of soy, and OH, the pain and bloating! Totally went away when I cut the Kashi. My MW said a few of her clients had the same issues with soy.

DrJen ~ hope your family day goes well. I know how stressful it can be. Two weeks with my parents was just about enough to put me in the asylum, although they were incredibly helpful during our move.

BBM ~ novicaine is fine. I had a filling done last year and the dentist said it was fine with nursing. Sorry about the root canal though.

I pledge to all of you that I WILL run today, no matter how unmotivated I may feel. I need to. I went to the doctor yesterday and I've gained 5 pounds since we moved. GAH!

High ~ mmmmmm..... coffee...... Oh, and DD1 finally seems to be potty trained!

Low ~ the aforementioned 5 pounds

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#1010 of 1011 Old 08-01-2007, 09:13 AM

Balancin1, I noted you said you PRd for the distance on the run that made you sick...I also think I remember reading that when it's very hot, you should try to drop the speed. : For me personally, that's HARD to do. You have so many reasons to run fast--you want to get it done, you want to do well, you might just have a hard time putting the brakes on. I have several people in my family who have had episodes like that, and yes--it seems to happen easier ever after. BUT, bright side is, right now you're running through the toughest of weather, and in another month, it could be quite a lot cooler. Consider the race's start time, and how warm it will be by the finish. You'll work harder to hydrate. You won't get a stomach bug beforehand. You'll be properly rested. Put all those details in place and decide. I was excited to find those sugar-free electrolyte packets at the store, and I bought some to keep on hand for when I do get a chance to run and maybe I need more than water. Dingos will cheer for you no matter which race you choose.

drjen...may the visit feel short and positive today.

I get back trouble when I am experiencing stress. So guess what hurts today? I decided to go ahead yesterday and take the kids to the pool, and when I got back, there were all these messages from work...ugh. I hope the change to FT obliterates some of these communication and availability/response issues. I mean, as it stands, on my "days off," I basically have to stalk email, which means I am chained to my computer anyway. If I can't spend "off" days having fun anyway, should I not just be FT and get the vacation days so that I CAN afford to occasionally take the kids somewhere? Sorry. Rant over.
#1011 of 1011 Old 08-01-2007, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page