Forum Jump: 

#121 of 1011 Old 07-07-2007, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnmtnmama View Post
Any word from Monica lately?
She went to the Outerbanks - does anyone remember when she'd be back? I haven't seen her on MSN messenger since she left.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#122 of 1011 Old 07-07-2007, 01:23 PM

Good luck JayGee!

Plady-

Pumpkinseed-That sweater is so cute! I loathe seaming!

Megs-I have an old copy of Little Woman that was given to my Grandmother is 1934. She grew up reading it, my Mother grew up reading it, and I grew up reading it. My 7 year old dd will be able to read it in a couple of years. :

Trimomma-

I ran today. Felt good.

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#123 of 1011 Old 07-07-2007, 01:43 PM
bec

Good luck JayGEE!!!!! I'm thinking of you! You are going to do great!!!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#124 of 1011 Old 07-07-2007, 02:20 PM

breakfast makes a big difference. This mornings long run went really well, I could have kept going but my running partner was feeling pretty beat. got home and ate a banana then went and worked on cleaning the bike shop. feels awesome.
#125 of 1011 Old 07-07-2007, 03:18 PM

heck yeah, breakfast is important! Our bodies need those easy sources of carbs to run efficiently. I always eat my waffles, PB and syrup before I work out... but of course, in my stay-at-home life right now I have the ability to still linger over food and wander out for the run/bike when I feel like it. I got my mom eating something before her morning walk and she's noticing a difference, too. Or just saying so to make me feel better.

I just rode for a little over an hour. I always feel like I'm going so fast, but then when I calculate my distance and speed it's kind of depressing. I need to get to the bike shop today and get a computer (and a good pump w/ gauge... and some lightning lube... and better gloves) so that I can be a bit more accountable to what I'm doing out there. It was a lovely ride, though. My chain derailed right toward the end and I got honked at by some a-holes on crotch rockets (I'm assuming a "Heyyyyy, lady in tight shorts...!" kind of honk because they were coming the other direction). I flipped them off. I hate that kind of sh!t. Leave me to ride my effing bike in peace -- I want none of your noisy crap and mullets. Another lady on a road bike saw me flip the bird and gave me a water bottle wave of support.

So... as glad as I am to be out there riding, I wish it weren't so frustrating for me. I'm just soooooo darrrrrrn slooowwwwww.

but in good news, when I got home from the ride, Nevie nursed down in about 4.3 minutes and is now snoozing away like a sweet, sweet baby.

She still doesn't say any real words. I admit this part is freaking me out more than not walking. I have ruined my child with too much red wine in her breastmilk...

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#126 of 1011 Old 07-07-2007, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Monikita, where do you go on OBX? We go to Nags Head so I'm not so sure about the gym... Have fun, I wouldn't mind being down there myself right about now!
We go to Buxton. The gym was Island Fitness, but it went out of business. There is a gym at a spa in Avon, but we ended up not going. I ran, though! Lots!

I'm back, as of an hour ago. There is no way I can catch up on 10 days worth of posts, so if I missed anything important, let me know. Missed y'all!

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
#127 of 1011 Old 07-07-2007, 04:03 PM

Hello all! Checking for weekend race reports...hope the racers enjoy beautiful weather and strong performances, and FUN events!

I ran 5 this AM before it got really really hot, then had a great visit with an "old" friend. We have a dinner invitation for this evening, and I am enjoying a little down time (sort of) before dh packs tomorrow to leave early early Monday morning for another 2-weeker. We didn't go completely dysfunctional before he left this time, but right now he's MIA and I'm starting to become POd. Not sure what I'll have in me for a run tomorrow (today is day 1 of AF), but considering the 2 weeks without any backup, I'm thinking I should go for broke. If I can get on the road before 7AM, I should be able to get 10-12 in before it's totally unbearable.

Re: breakfast...most days, I run on a latte, maybe 2. But that's 100-200 calories, which still counts as breakfast, right? I don't do so hot with food in my tummy.
#128 of 1011 Old 07-07-2007, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppywise View Post
maybe i'm just getting old. *sigh*
Girlfriend, you really need to stop saying that. What we say and think becomes truth. So knock it off! : And: I move forward in life with joy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs_BK View Post
She still doesn't say any real words. I admit this part is freaking me out more than not walking. I have ruined my child with too much red wine in her breastmilk...
Megs, Livi just started talking a month ago. She's 2 years 8 months now. And in that month's time, she is now speaking in 5 word sentences and has increased her vocabulary by hundreds of words. In short, she's almost all the way caught up. In just one month. Some kids just begin speaking later. The important thing is that she is UNDERSTANDING everything. Is she signing at all?

EKS! There is an OBX marathon on Nov 11th. Wouldn't that be so cool to run together?

#129 of 1011 Old 07-07-2007, 04:45 PM

Hi..We closed on the new house this week and well..now really am getting nervous about selling this one! I've been taking over one load at a time, but the movers are coming next week. New house is really so much more convenient for us.
Had a nice July 4th and my cousins wife was talking about doing a tri that is for beginners only..in May..so myself and my brothers fiance and cousins wife are all doing it! I've told them no one can get pregnant..but they are probably both in the business of that game! Anyway..it sounds like fun.

Megs..my kids probably had a fair amount of wine in the bm and they both talk now...alot!

JayGee..Looking forward to the race report.

Plady...glad to hear the OB report went well.

I just realized I have to be somewhere in a few minutes...will be back later and finish personals
#130 of 1011 Old 07-07-2007, 04:50 PM

I fully admit I suck at personals lately... and there was so much I wanted to comment on last night, too.

anyway, thanks, Monica and Mommabelle! Monica, yes, she signs "more", "bird", "dog" and sometimes "milk." She also says "woof, woof" at the dog -- whether the real dog or pictures -- and lately thinks it's neat to try and whistle at the birds (my Mom was doing this with her a couple of weeks ago and she caught right on). So.... I talked it out with my sister, too, so I'm feeling better about it. I just have to stay away from my DDC sometimes! Those are a chatty bunch of babies and it makes me feel kinda bad.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#131 of 1011 Old 07-07-2007, 05:28 PM

Megs - Nora only said "doggy" 1x before she turned one, then maybe like 3 words at 15 months, and now at 19 mo when we last counted she has about 30 words (of course most of these are only recognizable to me and DH as 'words' ) and a few signs.. . No worries! She is developing in her own sweet time, and will be fine!! If it is worrying you though, like you have a gut instinct it is physical like ear infection, then ask your ped!

Monica - hope your trip was a blast! Can't wait to hear all about it!

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#132 of 1011 Old 07-07-2007, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
We just got back from playing at the beach. Sometimes I forget how completely lucky we are to be able to walk down there anytime we want too - it totally makes up for the crazy winters here! Even with putting on sunscreen before we left and adding more while down tehre, I think I burned. Ouch.

I sitill haven't found the camera and I have some new stuff for my blog. Aaaaggghhhh! dh has hardly been home all week and it wil be the same for the next week or two - I don't know how I am going to get ready for this art show next weekend. It's a good thing thye last Harry Potter book doesn't come out until after the show, or I wouldn't even be trying to sew
#133 of 1011 Old 07-07-2007, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Thanks Monika! I just got linked up with the Knitting Dingos. I LOVE the picture at the top of the blog!
#134 of 1011 Old 07-07-2007, 06:35 PM

Quote:
I fully admit I suck at personals lately... and there was so much I wanted to comment on last night, too.

anyway, thanks, Monica and Mommabelle! Monica, yes, she signs "more", "bird", "dog" and sometimes "milk." She also says "woof, woof" at the dog -- whether the real dog or pictures -- and lately thinks it's neat to try and whistle at the birds (my Mom was doing this with her a couple of weeks ago and she caught right on). So.... I talked it out with my sister, too, so I'm feeling better about it. I just have to stay away from my DDC sometimes! Those are a chatty bunch of babies and it makes me feel kinda bad.
Megs-my children have all been different as to their development. My oldest was talking up a storm at a young age but my next two did not say much for a while. My baby will be 1 on Monday : and she says dada, and mama. Your baby is just fine.

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#135 of 1011 Old 07-07-2007, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
Megs-Your baby is just fine.
: Neither of my dc spoke much when they were just one. And now, at 3.5 and 7, they use vocabulary and grammar that is so beyond their ages, it turns heads in the grocery store. If she's understanding you, it's all good.

Re: breakfast ~ I can't eat before my morning workouts. I'm up pretty early to workout (5:30am), so really, I'd rather get a few extra minutes of sleep and skip the food ~ even if my stomach could handle the food before a workout (which it *definitely* can't).

Ran this morning and NO KNEE PAIN!!! I went a slow 3.6 miles in 42 minutes. I'm trying to be patient and ease back into it so I don't aggravate my knee all over again. And, yes, the run did wonders for my tolerance and patience with dc today!! We then went swimming and spent three hours in the pool chasing, having splash 'wars', and doing laps with dd on my back during freestyle and belly for backstroke. I *think* I may be ready to start the masters swim on Monday.
#136 of 1011 Old 07-07-2007, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Trimomma, I'm so glad you got in a run with no knee pain! Mine is still touchy so I am thinking couch-to-5K is in my future. Actually I took our overweight dog on a 26 min. walk this morning - I'm thinking he and I can get back into shape together.

That said, Monikita, would you really be up for going back down to OBX for the marathon in Nov? I hope you had an awesome time this past week.

Total dingo supper on the stove - sloppy lentils and Shanti's super yummy green beans. A little beer consumed here after some hot gardening and I'm feelin' good.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#137 of 1011 Old 07-07-2007, 09:14 PM

monikita - ok, ok i hear ya! welcome back!

megs - when you flipped them the bird, did you say 'welcome to megan country, a-holes' ? oh and one of these days, you'll be wishing for those pre-talk days don't sweat it, it'll come.

jenlove - how's the house offer thing going? fingers crossed

reb - congrats on the new bike! sweeeet.

kate-mom - pm on the way :

i meant to run this morning but it didn't happen. it WILL happen tomorrow morning. i don't eat a lot before i run in the am but usually just some orange juice or maybe some emergen-c. might need to re-think that plan.

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#138 of 1011 Old 07-07-2007, 10:17 PM

I got in a 4.5 miles run this morning before my Ashtanga workshop. It was slow though. I wanted to pick up the pace, but instead it took me the same time that it usually takes me to run 5.5. I really need to just go on the treadmill and do some interval training. It is just so much nicer outside!

My ds1 didn't talk much until about 20 months. Now at about 2.5 he says just about anything and puts together complex and compound sentences and uses adverbs, clauses, etc. I wouldn't worry much.
#139 of 1011 Old 07-07-2007, 11:10 PM

Hi Mamas!

Good luck JayGee!

Welcome back Monikita! I'm looking forward to checking out your FOs on the knitting blog.

I might be up for the OBX half in Nov. My parents moved to NC 2 years ago, which I haven't been too thrilled about, but the race might give me an excuse to visit.

I need my coffee before I run in the morning! I also eat some yogurt and a few sport beans before my long runs.

This week was a taper week for me, which is good because my back, hip and shoulders are really starting to hurt. I won't attribute it to old age, as per Monikita's admonitions to poppywise, tho' I am no doubt the old lady of this thread. I'm pretty sure it's my shoes, which I know I need to replace. Road trip to the running store is planned for Wed.

Now, in the TMI category......

does anyone else here suffer from post-run itchy butt syndrome like I seem to be?
:

This isn't just a summer thing, it's definitely related to running. I've tried yeast creams, hemorrhoid creams, even A & D when I thought it was some weird runner's diaper rash. Cortisone cream seems to help the most, and I do have a hemorrhoid, so maybe that's it. Any suggestions or anecdotes about similar symptoms would be appreciated. This is definitely NOT a topic covered in Runner's World!
#140 of 1011 Old 07-07-2007, 11:42 PM

poppy ~ The seller's deadline was Friday at 5pm. His agent has not been able to get ahold of him since he doesn't have a cellphone or an answering machine for his land line phone. She doesn't know what is going on since the last she heard he was going to confer with his siblings (it's an estate sale) and get back to us. I am afraid there was a family emergency or he really thinks our offer sucked. I really thought this was *it* and maybe it still is but I'm going to have to wait for it.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#141 of 1011 Old 07-07-2007, 11:48 PM

Quote:

naw....not the red wine :LOL

seriously though, I wouldn't worry. I realized that Leah had been saying many words, I just hadn't been listening hard enough.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#142 of 1011 Old 07-08-2007, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taosmama View Post
Cortisone cream seems to help the most, and I do have a hemorrhoid, so maybe that's it. Any suggestions or anecdotes about similar symptoms would be appreciated. This is definitely NOT a topic covered in Runner's World!
Yeah. It's the 'rhoids acting up. Sigh. I'm so sick of the 'rhoids... I feel your pain, er uh, itch? Keeping really clean and occasional use of Preparation H helps me.

I don't have any FO's for the knit blog. I discovered that I really do knit as an escape, and it appears as though I don't have anything to escape from when I'm blissfully on vacation. I only knit half of one sock in the entire 10 days, even with long plane rides and even longer driving time.

Eks & Taosmama - Yes, I really would be up for going back to OBX in November. Alas, DH informed me that is the same time he wants to do a half ironman in Nevada. So it is OBX '08! Be there, or be square!

I've been up since 1:15 am yesterday, so I'm turning in now.

Hi, Aurora! I'll respond to your PM tomorrow! :

One last note.. I managed to get my work email down from 182 to 77, but still. Ugh. I am NOT looking forward to Monday.

#143 of 1011 Old 07-08-2007, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimomma View Post
Ran this morning and NO KNEE PAIN!!!
That's great! I'm glad to hear it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppywise View Post
megs - when you flipped them the bird, did you say 'welcome to megan country, a-holes' ?
: Ohhh, that rocks. I had to read that one out loud to Dan.

I *wish* I had the presence of mind for that! As it was, I think only my Bikin' Sister saw my gesture. Oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLove View Post
poppy ~ The seller's deadline was Friday at 5pm. His agent has not been able to get ahold of him since he doesn't have a cellphone or an answering machine for his land line phone. She doesn't know what is going on since the last she heard he was going to confer with his siblings (it's an estate sale) and get back to us. I am afraid there was a family emergency or he really thinks our offer sucked. I really thought this was *it* and maybe it still is but I'm going to have to wait for it.
I'm sorry. That sucks.

So, I kinda accidentally let my 1000th post slip by. I'd already done the paid subscription so I could have Lisa up there representin' for me, so I changed my title then. Guess it ended up being anticlimactic.

#144 of 1011 Old 07-08-2007, 12:56 AM

Word!
Welcome home, Monica...you were missed.

I'm planning on running tomorrow...five or so miles. After my disastrous long run on Thursday I really need it to be a good one. I wish I could do it outdoors, but it's going to be 95 degrees and I can't handle that.

I took some cute new photos of my girls today if you're interested There are two on the blog and a bunch on my Soul Reflection blog.

I'm getting nervous about my first day on Monday!! I'll finally be an official employee of Premier It should be an easy first day, since I'll probably just have a phone conversation with Rick and do my administrative stuff like getting the Blackberry/new cell provider, some office equipment, and setting up a land line for the office...it will all be reimbursed. I go to Charlotte for a week of training on the 23rd, and I know that there will be some conference calls, but I don't know what else will be going on. It's making me nervous
#145 of 1011 Old 07-08-2007, 11:09 AM

hey, can i join you guys? i'm a jogger more than a runner but i've been doing it and loving it- no, needing it- for 14 years now-eek! i just had a baby, my 3rd, 6 weeks ago. i didn't run at all during my pregnancy but now i'm back. i don't have any really lofty goals, i'd just like to get out at least 3 times a week to help my pp brain and body. i've got a bob ironman and my 2.75 yo dd and brand new boy ride in that and my 5.75 yo ds rides his bike. it's a pretty good set up so far. much to my surprise (and joy) rowan falls asleep almost instantly when we start moving!

i heard from aurora that lots of you guys are knitters too and so am i. in fact, aurora and i taught ourselves how to knit longies together about 5 years ago (is that right?!)

so that's where i am. i hope it's okay that i join you all.

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#146 of 1011 Old 07-08-2007, 11:15 AM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
seriously though, I wouldn't worry. I realized that Leah had been saying many words, I just hadn't been listening hard enough.
I realized this when Emily was evaluated by a speeh therapist when she was 14 months (recommended as follow up to her cleft palate surgery, not because we were worried). Both E and A are really chatty kids (I yearn for quiet sometimes. : ), but Katie was not. She had a few words as a toddler, but really didn't start talking, talking until she was a little over 2.5 years old. She is still a bit quieter than the others, but is very capable of chatting up a storm herself, now at 6. It sounds like Nevie is just fine!

RR: I haven't run since the 4th. I have been so exhausted. DH's study/work schedule is really taking a toll on my energy right now. I have been walking with a neighbor, at least, and we have been going to the pool with the kids (sometimes just me, which is harder), so I have been active, at least. But, I really need to get out there for a run. I'm hoping to do that today.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a 10k training schedule? There are so many out there, I am having a hard time choosing. I want to go at this a little more organized than just trying to run a little further each week. So, experienced runners? Ideas, sources, links?:

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#147 of 1011 Old 07-08-2007, 11:39 AM

Chrissy! We're happy to have you join us! If you would also like to join us on the knit blog, just send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you an invite to join so you can contribute.

I hope you have a GREAT first day tomorrow! I happen to get my fancy dancy machine back from the fancy dancy coffee machine fixer man tomorrow, so I'll send you a latte in spirit. I can't wait to check out your blogs today to catch up on what I've missed!

Today I shall lift. I shall plank. And I shall run. Woot.

#148 of 1011 Old 07-08-2007, 11:57 AM

Welcome, Chrissy!!! 14 years running ~ that's wonderful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions for a 10k training schedule? There are so many out there, I am having a hard time choosing. I want to go at this a little more organized than just trying to run a little further each week. So, experienced runners? Ideas, sources, links?:
I wouldn't say I'm an experienced 10k'er, but I used a plan from a book I have by Bob and Shelly Glover as my 'base plan'. I don't know how much credence they have as authors and runners, but the plan in the book worked well as a guide for me. I modified the plan a little using some of the workouts from the RW 'smart coach' link. Based on your previous history with mileage, times and progress ~ you're going to do awesome in a 10k, bec!!!
#149 of 1011 Old 07-08-2007, 01:47 PM

WARNING

This is a long, non RR rant, but I am having a day, ladies.

I woke up this am, dh was gone to do his 24 hour shift, saving lives and generally getting to be a hero, all the while being completely child-free. I find he's taken the sheets out of the dryer and just thrown them in the basket, and left a load of clean clothes in the dryer (after having removed most of his own).: I know, I know, at least he does laundry. Then I just mopped the bathroom for the 3rd time this week because it reeks of pee. Evidently ds, who is 6, is missing the toilet and peeing on the rug. I know it's not his fault; I think he's just in a hurry, but still.... Then the entire house seems to smell of pee to me - other than the bathroom, I don't think it has anything to do with ds. But we're still in this lousy rental, with carpets, and I think the pee is probably from former residents' cats. Yuck. We've been here for almost a year; it just seems to smell in the summer, or maybe my nose is more sensitive because I'm dying to be out of here.

And we're under contract for beautiful new carpet- and urine-free house, and are theoretically supposed to close on the 15th, but nothing seems to be happening.

There is no hope for a run today for me and it's way too early for a glass of wine! The kids have been at each other's throats all morning, so I'm being a bad mama and have them parked in front of videos to keep them happy. :

Welcome Chrissy! 14 years is awesome. I'm not sure what the difference is between jogging and running. I call myself a runner, even tho' I'm sure I'm probably just "jogging" or even "shuffling"!

Bec, I did the Runners World online Smart Coach training program for my 10K, and am now doing it for a half. Just go to their web site and you can customize it for your race date, 5K time, and mileage per week. There's generally 1 or 2 short runs, 1 day of speed work, and a long run every week. I kind of ignored the speed work when I was training for the 10K, but I'm doing it now and it's really helping!

Good luck tomorrow and congrats on the new bike!

Monica, OBX 2008 would work better for me anyway. If my half goes well this fall, I want to do a marathon next year. I turn 45 in 2008; it seems fitting somehow to do my first marathon then.
#150 of 1011 Old 07-08-2007, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
i've become a big fan of the individualized training plans on runnersworld.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page