August WW Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-01-2007, 02:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Alright all weight watchers, it's August! If you're new to weight watchers or to this thread, please feel free to join in! We are here to support and encourage each other as we work toward losing weight and gaining a more healthy lifestyle!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2007, 02:53 AM - Thread Starter

I thougt we could all fill out a little quiz so that we can get to know each other better, and keep track of our weight loss and othe NSV's (non-scale victories). If you don't want to fill in your current weight it's ok, just skip it!

Name: Melanie

Starting Date & Weight: 7/2/07 - 286.4lb

Current Weight: 275.8lb

Weight Loss to Date: 10.6lb

Weight Loss Goal: 145lb (a total loss of 141.4)

Goals Other than Weight Loss: To be much more active and be able to do the things I love, like hiking, rock climbing, swimming, and camping. My biggest goal is to one day have children, so I really want to lose weight and be healthy now so that I will have healthy pregnancies and will be a good model of healthy living for my children.

Favorite Workout Routine: Walking and following videos off of Exercise TV

MDC Forum You Spend the Most Time In: TAO & Mindful Home Management

Interests/Hobbies: Reading, Cross stitch, Biking, Listening to lots of great music

Number of Children: None, yet

Occuption: College student - Esthetics

Anything else you want to share:I'm glad I found this thread last month and have met all of you! You all have been encouraging to me and have helped me stay motivated. Thanks!

Goals for August 2007:I'm going to participate in the Aug. 1000 min. challenge thread, I want to drink more water & eat more whole foods. My weight loss goal for the month is to lose at least 7 pound by the end of the month.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:55 AM

It's not august here yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyWild View Post
Yeah, that's what they always say, but how many months can you really add muscle weight? I'd say I'm past adding muscle weight, at least from hiking.
Hmmm... maybe that's true, I don't know. But when you said your clothes are fitting better, that's what made me wonder that. At my gym they measure body fat % and I have noticed that it goes down even when I don't lose any *weight*, but my clothes fit better and I feel better - my old trainer (he left the gym : ) said it's cause of muscle gain. Could also be some water retention, maybe?

Either way - Melanie is totally right, it's still a loss!

jog.gif:bikenew.gif// knit.gif:reading.gif:notes2.gif // cat.gif:cat.gif 

Our precious baby girl is coming to turn our world upside down in January 2014!

Old 08-01-2007, 04:00 AM

Name: Abigail

Starting Date & Weight: 7/18/2007 - 162

Current Weight: 157.2

Weight Loss to Date: -4.8

Weight Loss Goal: 130-145 depending on muscle gain

Goals Other than Weight Loss: To be able to walk up three flights of stairs without getting winded To fit in my clothes properly again. To run a 5K. To hike the Inca Trail, probably in 2009.

Favorite Workout Routine: I just started going to this Core Strength class and I am loving it, I also like yoga and am doing the Couch to 5k program (week 3).

MDC Forum You Spend the Most Time In: Mindful Home Management, Yarn Crafts, this one

Interests/Hobbies: skiing, knitting, scrapbooking, reading, hiking, biking, backpacking, spinning (the kind with fiber not with bikes!)

Number of Children: None, but I have a cat!

Occuption: actuarial analyst

Anything else you want to share: I am so glad I found this place, it's way more useful than my WW Meetings (although I will keep going to those too, since I paid for 8 sessions up front!).

Goals for August 2007: To drop below 155 and maintain it, to stay on plan 27 days, to find some great healthful dinners to prepare, to go to this core strength class every Monday and my yoga class 1x/week and run at least twice a week, but hopefully three times.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:21 AM

Name: Ruby
Starting Date & Weight: 7/3/07 - 193.6 lbs
Current Weight: 184.6 lbs
Weight Loss to Date: 8.8 lbs.
Weight Loss Goal: 140-148 lbs (a total loss of 45-50lbs)
Goals Other than Weight Loss:
  • to be able to get out of the car without having to boost myself with my hands
  • to have more room for my Dd on my lap
  • to have more energy
  • to be able to shop for clothes somewhere besides Lane Bryant.
Favorite Workout Routine: Hiking in the hills and mountains, finishing off with a session of pilates.
MDC Forum You Spend the Most Time In: TAO
Interests/Hobbies: Hiking, Kayaking, Pilates, Buying local, All natural foods, Alternative cinema/Art films.
Other important infoI lost 25 pounds with WW in 1993 and worked for WW in 1993-4 as a lifetime member. I maintained that loss until I had my Dd. Now, I'm back to lose twice as much.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:54 PM

Hey everyone

Name: Christy

Starting Date & Weight: 7/99 - 248 :

Current Weight: 205 (Yikes, I'm PMSing so it's worse than usual...last week I was under 200 so either it's water or my scale is broken)

Weight Loss to Date: around 45, I keep on losing weight-getting pregnant-gaining weight during pregnancy-losing weight-getting pregnant..you get the picture.

Weight Loss Goal: 180 short term, 160 long term, though I'm really happy at 180 and that is where I tend to "hover" usually. At least before I get pregnant. Every time I get that thin I get pregnant :, so I've never actually made it down to the 160s since I was in high school. I look VERY thin then, and I'm taller with a large frame so everyone always guessing that I'm thinner than I am.

Goals Other than Weight Loss: I'm continually in a state of figuring out who I am. Right now, I have very few goals other than surviving the day. Sad, but true. Weight loss could be one of them. There are other things that I am doing, BUT I can't call them achieving goals. I just feel like I'm in a period of my life where I'm in a "rest period" (I'm a very goal oriented person so it's a rest period with respect to that, though I'm not really resting you see as I have three kiddos).

Favorite Workout Routine: I love to dance, do workout tapes, use dumbells. Strength training is something I really enjoy, as I've been told I'm freakishly strong for a woman.

MDC Forum You Spend the Most Time In: Case Against Circumcision and Pets

Interests/Hobbies: Intactavism, my cat, crochet (like I get time for it)

Number of Children: 3 young kiddos who keep me very busy!

Occuption: My past career feels like eons ago, so I'll just say I'm a SAHM

Anything else you want to share: I've very low maintenancy physically, high maintenance intellectually/emotionally. I believe in natural beauty, rarely wear makeup or just very little. When I'm thinner I'm a hottie :

Goals for August 2007:13 pound loss... I need a number to strive for. I know it seems like a lot, but honestly I know myself. Right now it's just before my period and I'm holding water, so it's very likely that I will lose that much this month.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

Old 08-01-2007, 01:30 PM

Name: Natasha

Starting Date & Weight: 10/06 - 228.6

Current Weight: 186

Weight Loss to Date: almost 43lbs

Weight Loss Goal: 169 - only because it is at the top of the weight range for my height. Ultimately I would like to get into the low 160s which is where I was in my early 20s.

Goals Other than Weight Loss: Become more active, and be a positive role model for my girls by living an overall healthy lifestyle.

Favorite Workout Routine: I did a triathlon last month, and I want to more. I used to be a competitive swimmer, but it's hard for me to get to the pool as often as I want, so my current favourite activity is running.

MDC Forum You Spend the Most Time In: Parenting Issues, Childhood Years and I lurk in TAO, but rarely post there.

Interests/Hobbies: I love to read when I have time, and I used to sew a lot when I was in high school and want to get back into that but I need to get a sewing machine.

Number of Children: 2 beautiful little girls - 5 and 21 months

Occuption: HR Manager

Anything else you want to share: I'm still struggling with the diet/weight loss mentality. I need to lose the weight and Weight Watchers has definately helped me do that, but at the same time, I am trying to adopt a healthy lifestyle that I can live with forever since I know that once I get to goal, I will probably be really tired of counting points.

Goals for August 2007: To get out of the 180's once and for all!!
Old 08-01-2007, 01:55 PM

Name: Angela

Starting Date & Weight: Jan 2007- 186

Current Weight: 153.6

Weight Loss to Date: 33 pounds

Weight Loss Goal: 61 pounds

Goals Other than Weight Loss: To be much more active and be able to do the things I love, like hiking, rock climbing, swimming, and camping. (gonna steal that because I just moved to a mountainous area!) And to have maintained a healthy weight before I choose to get pregnant again.

Favorite Workout Routine: Walking on the treadmill.

MDC Forum You Spend the Most Time In: Weightloss/ TAO/N&CE/toddlers

Interests/Hobbies: Reading, music, exercise, good coffee

Number of Children: I had 3 children. I have 2.

Occuption: Amateur mother.

Goals for August 2007: I'd like to lose 15 pounds this month and double the time I can run. (currently a sad 4 minutes at a time) I'm hunting for weight set on craigslist to start lifting some weights.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:51 PM

It is so nice to get to know you all!! What a great idea

I have a knitting/spinning group that meets once a week at 6pm at a local mall near the food court. Due to work & being busy I am not "with it" enough to bring dinner with me so I get something from the food court. It's a typical food court - a little of everything; pasta, pizza, "American" food, thai, chinese, indian, bbq, mexican, etc. What are some reasonable things to get at a place like this? I am never sure what "hidden" points might be in something.

last week I got a pulled pork BBQ sandwich although I asked them to use the side cornbread instead of a bun for the sandwich - so I had a 3x3" piece of cornbread and probably 4 oz of pork with probably 1/2cup of bbq sauce. That all seems quite reasonable to me (I put it down as 12 points - 4 for the cornbread, 4 for the pork, 4 for the sauce) but I just don't know what else might be in there, you know?

Old 08-01-2007, 03:20 PM

Is there a Subway in the food court? You can get a 6" sub for anywhere from 6-10 points depending on what you put on it. Last week I had a roasted chicken sub on the cheese bread with cheddar cheese for 8 points. If I had whole wheat bread and no cheese it would have been 6. If there is no Subway, a similar sandwich place would probably be OK. Bean burritos can be relatively low points as well (around 10 or so).
Old 08-01-2007, 03:29 PM

Name: Kelly

Starting Date & Weight: 7/28/07 - 151lb

Current Weight: 149.5lb

Weight Loss to Date: 1.5lb

Weight Loss Goal: 125lb (thats still 1lb heavier than the highest range on WW. There goal for me is 99lb, but that just seems too unattainable. Im only 4' 11")

Goals Other than Weight Loss: I want to be a healthy, active woman. I also want to be a great role model for my girls and not give them any self-confidence issues or pass on any of my own skewed body image problems.

Favorite Workout Routine: Walking and Pilates

MDC Forum You Spend the Most Time In: Toddlers, Diapering, Finding Your Tribe (PFM Member!!), and Here

Interests/Hobbies: Scrapbooking, Gardening, Reading, and I want to learn to sew better/knit

Number of Children: 3 little un's.

Occuption: SAHM

Anything else you want to share sure am glad I stumbled along this thread. I am really enjoying sharing this journey with you ladies :

Goals for August 2007: To join the YMCA and start attending Pilates class 3x a week. By the end of the month, I want to atleast make it to 139lb. I need to work on drinking AT LEAST 8 glasses of water a day!! With me still nursing, this is imperative! I ended up in the hospital last summer w/ dehydration!
Old 08-01-2007, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmasmommy View Post
Is there a Subway in the food court? You can get a 6" sub for anywhere from 6-10 points depending on what you put on it. Last week I had a roasted chicken sub on the cheese bread with cheddar cheese for 8 points. If I had whole wheat bread and no cheese it would have been 6. If there is no Subway, a similar sandwich place would probably be OK. Bean burritos can be relatively low points as well (around 10 or so).
No Subway - I don't think many/any of these places are chains. Bean burrito is a good idea. And the "American" place definitely has sandwiches! Thanks for the ideas.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:37 PM

So, it's only just past lunch and I have eaten 8 servings of fruits and vegetables today: The garden is starting to make an improvement in my diet.

Name: Amy

Starting Date & Weight: 03/07- 184.8lb

Current Weight: 158lb

Weight Loss to Date: 26.8lb

Weight Loss Goal: 141lb (a total loss of 44.8)

Goals Other than Weight Loss: To change my lifestyle so that I enjoy my life and get to see grandchildren. I also want to get back to riding my horse. Weight loss will improve my confidence for that.

Favorite Workout Routine: Walking and hopefully riding, weeding and house cleaning.

MDC Forum You Spend the Most Time In: Mindful Home Management

Interests/Hobbies: Reading, Gardening, cooking, blogging about farming

Number of Children: One

Occuption: Clerical peon, wannabe farmer

Anything else you want to share: I wanna be a knitter.

Goals for August 2007: 5 more pounds. There, I said it.

Amy at Stone Fence Farm
:
Old 08-01-2007, 05:58 PM

I had my 2nd weigh-in today. Despite feeling "fat" and not very positive about it, I am down 2.6 lbs!!! For a total of 4.8. I am pretty sad I didn't make it down an extra .2 though to get my first star. But next week!! I will do it!

However I did have my hair cut last night, a fairly drastic cut - maybe 6-8" off. So, I imagine some of that contributed. BUT certainly not 2.6 lbs so I know some of the weight loss was mine...

Old 08-02-2007, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayolaab View Post
I had my 2nd weigh-in today. Despite feeling "fat" and not very positive about it, I am down 2.6 lbs!!! For a total of 4.8. I am pretty sad I didn't make it down an extra .2 though to get my first star. But next week!! I will do it!

However I did have my hair cut last night, a fairly drastic cut - maybe 6-8" off. So, I imagine some of that contributed. BUT certainly not 2.6 lbs so I know some of the weight loss was mine...
Congratulations!!!

BTW, were you ever active on the NMY Tribe? I didn't realize you didn't have any children yet either until I read your quiz answeres.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:06 AM

Quote:

Congrats on the amazing loss today!!

I weighed in today too, and was down one pound. I am quite happy with that since it's the first time in ages that I have had a loss 2 weeks in a row. My pattern for the last little while seems to be lose one week, gain the next. I hope that pattern has broken now!
Old 08-02-2007, 01:08 AM

Quote:
I had my 2nd weigh-in today. Despite feeling "fat" and not very positive about it, I am down 2.6 lbs!!!
That's wonderful!

Has anyone heard about eating "outside" your points one day a week. I'm not exactly sure what it means, but my first week the leader said something about eating out of your points or outside your points once per week. She said it works better to do that. If I understood her right, she meant that we should eat more than our daily allowance at least once a week, but by how much I do not know.

As it turns out, that was her very last night as a leader in this state. She was moving away, and I forgot to ask her successor. Has anyone heard of this?

I'm not personally going to try it, unless I hear a lot about it. I'm going to the WW bulletin board to see if I can find anything there about it.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:15 AM

What I do, is just not count points one day per week and assume I've used all of my weekly points that day. I don't feel like I never get to splurge or let go and it's easier to rebound from one day than a little overboard all week imo.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I weighed in today too, and was down one pound. I am quite happy with that since it's the first time in ages that I have had a loss 2 weeks in a row. My pattern for the last little while seems to be lose one week, gain the next. I hope that pattern has broken now!
That's great! I haven't had a gain at a weigh-in yet, but I know how that feels (when I did ww 2 years ago I would usually lose 3 pounds one week and gain 1.5 the next, so I felt like I was battling with the same 2 - 3 pounds for weeks).
Old 08-02-2007, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieMC View Post
Congratulations!!!

BTW, were you ever active on the NMY Tribe? I didn't realize you didn't have any children yet either until I read your quiz answeres.
No, I just found it the other day and thought about joining but I'm already too busy so I shouldn't add to my list of places to check

Old 08-02-2007, 03:05 AM

Quote:

Congratulations! I hope you have broken the pattern!

Quote:
Has anyone heard about eating "outside" your points one day a week. I'm not exactly sure what it means, but my first week the leader said something about eating out of your points or outside your points once per week. She said it works better to do that. If I understood her right, she meant that we should eat more than our daily allowance at least once a week, but by how much I do not know.
I haven't heard anything about this but I can ask my leader next week and see what she knows. It sounds reasonably logical to me - maybe to avoid ruts or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jörð View Post
What I do, is just not count points one day per week and assume I've used all of my weekly points that day. I don't feel like I never get to splurge or let go and it's easier to rebound from one day than a little overboard all week imo.
That's a good idea! I think I did this today. The new Indian place I have been waiting-and-waiting for at the mall opened up, FINALLY, so I splurged like crazy - palak paneer (I watched them fry the paneer in a pan of hot oil, I'm sure that is not healthy!), naan (small piece though - very tasty!), rice (not that great so I didn't finish it), and a side salad. It was delicious and totally worth it. But, I can't imagine how many points it was

Old 08-02-2007, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
No, I just found it the other day and thought about joining but I'm already too busy so I shouldn't add to my list of places to check
Yeah, that thread moves pretty fast and I never could keep up with it. I haven't posted on there in months.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:22 AM

I found my original book from when I started WW in 1992 and became a lifetime member in 1993.

My WI's were:

+1.25,
+.25,
+.75,

That's the first book, but it was excruciatingly slow, and every week I felt that I deserved to have lost, which is one of the reasons it took me so long to come back to WW. That first time in the early 90s. I was really good about exercising and staying on program, but I would gain or barely lose for weeks and weeks and I was sooooo hungry all the time.

While it only took me 5 weeks to lose the first 11 pounds, it tooks 7 weeks to lose the next 4 pounds. That's hard to take when you're starving and willing yourself to be good every week.

This time, I'm eating differently. I understand now why I was hungry before. I hope I can be patient through the slow losses, though.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
I found my original book from when I started WW in 1992 and became a lifetime member in 1993.

This time, I'm eating differently. I understand now why I was hungry before. I hope I can be patient through the slow losses, though.
RubyWild, that's a great record to have! I'm glad that you see differences in your eating between last time and this time. I wonder if you mind sharing what you've changed?

Today is my company's anniversary, so they've done goodies/treats for us. I cannot resist - but I got an orange, and blueberry muffin instead of a chocolate one, and I'm only having one quarter of it. Do you know what is in a Costco muffin?? I don't recall exactly but last time they had muffins for us it was the individually wrapped ones and we looked at the packagings, there's something like 1200 calories PER MUFFIN and I don't even remember how many grams of fat. :

Old 08-02-2007, 05:53 PM

subbing:
Old 08-02-2007, 06:07 PM

Quote:
RubyWild, that's a great record to have! I'm glad that you see differences in your eating between last time and this time. I wonder if you mind sharing what you've changed?
Ha, ha. It seems that these days I like nothing better than talking about this issue.

I even have some of my old weekly trackers, which shows that I commonly ate:
Breakfast
3/4 C Special K (1 bread selection)
1/2 C FF milk (1 milk selection)

Snack on veggies and diet pop several times a day.

Small salad for lunch (2 fats, 1 protein)

Then, I use up all the rest in the evening converting most of my protein selections for bread selections, but I used fat-free everything, light bread, artificial sweeteners. I'd have 6 ff, nutrasweet fudgecicles in the evening.

Anyway, I was just starving, and so then to starve like that and only lose 1/2 a pound or gain a 1/4, it was agonizing. Now, I eat whole, real foods with protein and fiber.

I use nearly a third of my points at the first meal, slightly less for my second meal, and slightly more than a 1/3 for my final meal. I always balance some protein and real carbs in each meal and have some vegetables with most of it, too. I have two fruit snacks.

I'm just not hungry at all this time around, which I think will make it a little easier to take when I find that I'm not losing as quickly as my greedy mind wants to.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:12 PM

Quote:
there's something like 1200 calories PER MUFFIN and I don't even remember how many grams of fat. :
They must be the size of your head!
Old 08-02-2007, 06:51 PM

Quote:
They must be the size of your head!
Ya, they are big! maybe 4" across, and 4" high with a rounded top? I looked it up on CalorieKing and apparently it's only 690 calories, with 38 fat grams and 3g fiber. So my 1/2 muffin this morning cost me 8 (yes, EIGHT) points. :

Another piece of bad news: our admin lady is retiring and there was a party for her that I had to miss due to another meeting. My boss brought a piece of cake back for me (he & I are the "cake hunters" in the dept - always ready for a piece, but I haven't told him I'm on a "diet" so it was really very thoughtful of him) so I felt obligated to eat some. I know, I know. But I only ate half of a small piece - I'm estimating 4 points.

That is now 12 of my 22 points on JUNK :P I'm about to have 2 points worth of fruit, and I had 2 points worth of milk this morning.

The good news: My boyfriend's away on business so I only have to worry about myself for dinner, and I picked up our produce box last night so I am looking forward to a quick stir fry with no-point summer veggies for dinner. Maybe 2 pts worth of pasta on the side w/1 pt of oil & lemon juice dressing.

Quote:
I use nearly a third of my points at the first meal, slightly less for my second meal, and slightly more than a 1/3 for my final meal. I always balance some protein and real carbs in each meal and have some vegetables with most of it, too. I have two fruit snacks.
That sounds great. Good idea about spreading out your points like that. I have been doing a lot of fruit snacks lately too (berries, cherries, applesauce). Also lots of fresh veggies. I am not sure what I'll do over the winter when the berries esp. are harder to find.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Another piece of bad news: our admin lady is retiring and there was a party for her that I had to miss due to another meeting. My boss brought a piece of cake back for me (he & I are the "cake hunters" in the dept - always ready for a piece, but I haven't told him I'm on a "diet" so it was really very thoughtful of him) so I felt obligated to eat some. I know, I know. But I only ate half of a small piece - I'm estimating 4 points.
Treats at work can be hard because there's a very special occasion all the time. I gave up sweets a long time ago, so even though my officemate brought Chocolate Zucchini breads to work yesterday, she wasn't surprised that I didn't have any.

I just know that sweets make me high and then low and then starving. I just can't handle it.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Treats at work can be hard because there's a very special occasion all the time. I gave up sweets a long time ago, so even though my officemate brought Chocolate Zucchini breads to work yesterday, she wasn't surprised that I didn't have any.

I just know that sweets make me high and then low and then starving. I just can't handle it.
Yeah, I have been very good lately with the treats at work - I've passed up the taffy, the rice krispie treats and the oreo cookies in the last week alone. I caved for the muffin and chocolate cake though. The muffin cause it was from the *company* and they NEVER shell out for goodies; the cake cause my boss went to the trouble to bring it for me. : But it hasn't been as hard as I thought it would be to say no or just not have any.

I need to come up with a good treat-substitute to keep at my desk. I used to keep nuts but they are really high-point. Fruit/veggies don't keep well out of the fridge. Hmm..

User Tag List