Dingoes moving through August - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 1355 Old 08-02-2007, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollysMom View Post
Obviously not running, but thinking about it I know some of you run with a double stroller. How much harder is that? I find it tough to push one child I am not sure how I would with two. Does it slow you down a lot?

Yes. But I figure running with two is better than NOT running, right?

Generally my dh is running with the double, it acts as an equilizer when we try to run together.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#62 of 1355 Old 08-02-2007, 12:19 PM

RR: nothing planned. Too darn tired to think about it.

Low: in a bad place with DH right now. Tough night last night determining our next stage in OPERATION: Get the Baby to Sleep. There was swearing and arguing and debate and me feeling like he thinks I am just a crap, crap, crap Mom. Then this morning I gave him crap about what he was wearing. I'm still right -- fashion-wise -- but should have left it alone. He's a big boy and all I did was make him really mad. Crap. Did I marry my father??

High: all things considered, day two of the Jay Gordon nightweaning process went OK. She protested at not being able to stay clamped to my boob all the time, but each time the protest was shorter and then, suddenly, it was after 6am. I know nightweaning is oft-debated here, but I'd rather do that than CIO alone (which Dan was totallly advocating last night) and/or wean her completely. And I've gots to get some solid sleep or I'm going to go insane.

Another high: Nevie is taking more deliberate steps today -- really seems to care about this next level of mobility now. I think that's part of the rough sleep, actually.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#63 of 1355 Old 08-02-2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
katemom: how's the house selling/buying?
we quit basically we (i) decided that trying to sell our house to get this other house without a back up plan is not a good idea. i was not comfortable with doing an 80-20 on the new house and carrying two mortgages until our current house sold. on the flip side, if we sold ours, we'd be potentially up a creek bc they don't want a contingency for sale agreement, but want to stay themselves until they find a house in SEATTLE! :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs_BK View Post
Low: in a bad place with DH right now. Tough night last night determining our next stage in OPERATION: Get the Baby to Sleep. There was swearing and arguing and debate and me feeling like he thinks I am just a crap, crap, crap Mom. Then this morning I gave him crap about what he was wearing. I'm still right -- fashion-wise -- but should have left it alone. He's a big boy and all I did was make him really mad. Crap. Did I marry my father??
more on the sleep later - have to run dh's lunch to his work. someone woke up late this am.
#64 of 1355 Old 08-02-2007, 12:38 PM

kerc - Thanks maybe it will be a way for me to get dh running again.

megs - dh and I did a lot of debating/fighting about CIO with dd2. dd1 was easy, but Rachel was definitely more of a challenge. However since I did all of the work we did it my way and Rachel now sleeps through pretty much every night (with the exception of teething of course).
#65 of 1355 Old 08-02-2007, 01:00 PM

megs -- hugs to you. It's a tough road. My dd2 is basically night-weaned. It got to be too much for me to nurse at night and dh wanted some bed space back.

kate-mom -- we sold our house "contingent upon seller finding suitable housing". When the jerk who bought our house made the offer we negotiated a date before which we had to find a place or we could cancel the contract. I think it was like 10 days out from when we signed the agreement. We were definitely not in a place to buy without the $$ from the old to go to the new. We also made our offer on the new house "contingent upon the successful closing" on the old house. It was pure h*** to load everything into a truck, close on old house at 9, new house at 10. And it required my realtor to give our seller some info on the buyer on our house (basically that he was putting 20% down cash and had a signed preoffer from a reputable bank).

#66 of 1355 Old 08-02-2007, 01:09 PM

today's low: feeling really distanced and jealous of my friends who are all hanging out together at the resevoir with their kiddos. when we do get together i'm just out of it because i'm not there day in and day out and i don't know anything that's going on and it just makes me feel sad and lonely.

today's high: um, dh unloaded the dishwasher and did a load of laundry this morning before he went to work.

also thinking about the letter to the editor that i want to write about the cluster with the preschool program at our elementary school. it's a mess. it's nice that the school offers a preschool program, but there is seemingly no 'program' behind the 'program'. supposedly it's open to three and four year olds. First priority is 4 yo kids with any IETs. Then the rest of the 4 year olds. and then three year olds with IETs and then any other 3 year old. Last year, loads of 3 year olds were in the program. It was two days a week for three hours. This year, it's three days a week and they can't even accommodate all the 4 year olds who would like to be in the program. We didn't even get a letter saying K is in or out - they just somehow lost his name . there's no information out there on what the program is or who is in charge, everything is conveyed word of mouth, whisper-down-the-alley style and so totally unorganized that it's shameful and it's really pissing me off. and those friends that i mentioned above? yes, their kids are already in the program. yet another thing that they have in common that we're blocked from participating in.
#67 of 1355 Old 08-02-2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
kate-mom -- we sold our house "contingent upon seller finding suitable housing". When the jerk who bought our house made the offer we negotiated a date before which we had to find a place or we could cancel the contract. I think it was like 10 days out from when we signed the agreement. We were definitely not in a place to buy without the $$ from the old to go to the new. We also made our offer on the new house "contingent upon the successful closing" on the old house. It was pure h*** to load everything into a truck, close on old house at 9, new house at 10. And it required my realtor to give our seller some info on the buyer on our house (basically that he was putting 20% down cash and had a signed preoffer from a reputable bank).
that is basically what we're going to do in the spring. the problem with now is that a) i HAVE to get my dissertation done and don't have the time to be constantly cleaning for showings b) dh found this house kind of as a fluke - yes, it is GREAT, but i would like to have plan b, c, and d in line if our top priority house sells before we put in an offer - i don't want to be in a scramble with em and i going back to school in less than a month. if we play this game beginning in may, i'm sure the district would approve her staying to finish the year. school-age kids complicate real estate!
#68 of 1355 Old 08-02-2007, 01:52 PM

Mandy, that is so frustrating! I'm in the midst of finding a preschool for DD and it's not been easy. We are looking at 2 more this afternoon. Ugh...

High--I'm organizing my pantry! And I stocked up on all the basics at Sams this morning so my cupboards are finally full.

Low-- may be TMI, but for the last month I've had the most wretched vaginal itching. Just awful. So I finally dragged myself to the internist on Tuesday for a culture and everything came back negative. Not yeast, not bacterial vaginosis. At least if it were one of those, I could treat it and be done with it, but instead I'm sitting here, itchy, and wondering why the heck my nether regions are so uncomfy. Too much time on my bike? Too many hours in a wet swimsuit/tri shorts? I have no clue.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#69 of 1355 Old 08-02-2007, 02:08 PM

Quote:
High: all things considered, day two of the Jay Gordon nightweaning process went OK. She protested at not being able to stay clamped to my boob all the time, but each time the protest was shorter and then, suddenly, it was after 6am. I know nightweaning is oft-debated here, but I'd rather do that than CIO alone (which Dan was totallly advocating last night) and/or wean her completely. And I've gots to get some solid sleep or I'm going to go insane.
ok - more on the sleep. what worked for us - which you can feel free to toss out the window if you would prefer was ending the cosleeping at the same time and putting dh on 100% night duty. ds was terrible to sleep with - and didn't sleep well. dd was not fun to sleep with for a while between 18 mo and 2 i think, but slept - although we'd get kicked in the head frequently. ds on the other hand was UP wanting to nurse constantly. at a year, he was up at least every two hours. i was going INSANE.

we started by putting him in a pack and play across the room and planned on doing the jay gordon/no cry sleep solution approach. we picked the chunk of sleep that we wanted and moving backwards from there. we chose 12-4. if ds woke up, dh would pat him, rock, whatever. if seeing me in bed made things worse, dh was to take him down to his room and get him to sleep in there. however, ds slept SO well the first night he was just not two inches away from my boob (which was apparently waking him up with the wafting odors of yummy milk), he slept four hours straight! i don't recall the exact details of who did what next, but within a month or so, he was sleeping from 12-6 in his room, without nursing. he was always an early to bed kid, so he'd go down around 7-8 and get up for a snack usually around 11. i could live with that - it was a fantastic change! i was sad that he wasn't a kid who did well sleeping with us - i loved napping with dd and her cuddling up to me in the middle of the night. on the other hand, i recognized that ds just was not best suited for that arrangement. even now, sometimes i'll try to rock him after a bath, and he'll say, "no wok, inna de bed."
#70 of 1355 Old 08-02-2007, 02:42 PM

I just had to post that I had a nice brisk 2 mile walk today with the baby in the sling....first steps to getting in shape for the 08 marathon.
#71 of 1355 Old 08-02-2007, 02:42 PM

we are doing the same deal that katemom did. working great. BUT dh is getting annoyed with the 11pm waking -- how long do you think she'll wake like clockwork then?

#72 of 1355 Old 08-02-2007, 02:43 PM

yay po7!

jaygee is it dryness by any chance? as in lack or normal fluids?

#73 of 1355 Old 08-02-2007, 02:45 PM

Quick drive post...so much I'd like to respond to...

I ran! I was aiming for 3 miles but my Garmin made me run farther. I know it was farther because I've measured in my car and my Garmin usually doesn't make me run that far. So, I'm pretty sure I hit 3.25 miles. It was like it knew something I didn't and actually cared. It felt good to be out. It wasn't too hot yet. I hardly noticed how far I'd gone and some of the time I was so inside my head I felt like I was missing part of the route. I listened to The Fray while I ran which was great. I only have two of their songs right now, though. Need more!!! Must ask Naomi to get me more!!! I thought a lot about why I haven't been running as much lately and I'm ashamed to admit why. I'll make my confession later after I have thought it through a little better.

Have a good day! We're soon off to swimming lessons and an afternoon sitting by the lake.
#74 of 1355 Old 08-02-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
yay po7!

jaygee is it dryness by any chance? as in lack or normal fluids?
Could be, although I am having normal cycles, but still nursing DD 3-5x a day.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#75 of 1355 Old 08-02-2007, 02:48 PM

Just got back from visiting ILs in OH last nite; caught up on July thread (to stalk Mandy); read all of the Aug thread; and finally get to post!!

I missed yall!

We had a great vacation and visit w/ DH's family

I met Wendy and Janessa and their darling DC and they were so sweet to play at the park with me and DD for the most of the afternoon last Saturday.

I have been running! 1 mile last Friday, 8 miles on Sunday (farthest since the half marathon in January), and then 1 mile on Tuesday...

... Tuesday run ended bc of excruciating back pain (LOW)

... but MIL arranged and paid for an amazing one hour massage w/ the guy at their fancy schmancy country club and it was heaven - I was sore in muscles I didn't even know I had!! (HIGH)

Now I have moved into my new office and am starting my new job, but still waiting on them to install phone and internet, so I'm going to devote my next couple days to writing like crazy on the dissertation and running and organizing my house (who said they had a Feng Shui consultant? I need that... my house makes me miserable )

Congrats racers from last week!

Sending sleepy nite vibes to all the sleepless moms and babes... we are in the process of nite weaning too (although the trip threw it off) but we are having to do all DH on nite duty to not confuse DD and make her upset (I figure it is his turn I have been doing it for 20 months!!)

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#76 of 1355 Old 08-02-2007, 02:58 PM

Kate, et al, thank you so much for your commisseration and BTDT contributions (I won't call it "advice," that sounds too preachy, but I really like hearing what has worked for other folks... and that sometimes it just ain't cosleeping).

I'll talk to Dan about the 100% night duty thing. I think he'd be OK with that, maybe... though he is really upset at the whole situation right now and thinks that we are coddling her. I just feel guilty because I'm the one that has the opportunity to nap and rest during the day -- not him. But maybe if I bartered that I would be more productive around the house instead of napping, he'd get on board... I don't know. Blork blork blork.

Cheryl -- I'm glad you had a good run!

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#77 of 1355 Old 08-02-2007, 03:03 PM

Hey everyone. Haven't read all the pages ~ feeling kind of : with all the posts!!

Everything's been a little hectic with it being the last few weeks of summer. We're trying to squeeze in every last bit of activities dc wanted to do before school starts. Dd (3.5yo) begins her first ever school experience at a morning Montessori program (same school ds, 7yo, goes to). I'm feeling a little nostalgic about my youngest going off to school, even though it's only 3 mornings a week. So, we're trying to get as much of each other as possible, until we all make one another crazy!!

Welcome to the new folks!!

Have been doing lots of running and swimming ~ both of which I am enjoying immensely and making progress, considering the amount of time I'm putting into it ~ or *not* putting into it (about two workouts of each during the week). Not so much biking or spinning. I just can't seem to fall in love with the bike...

My goal for August is to get in a yoga workout each week. There, I put it out there.

Hope everyone's doing well. I'm going to go back now and try to catch up a little bit.
#78 of 1355 Old 08-02-2007, 03:11 PM

Hola.
Ran five this morning and my legs didn't bother me...I've been having a lot of shin splint/calf/knee pain lately. I need new shoes. But today it was okay.
I'm busy as can be and it will only get busier. I guess I have to start actually earning that big new salary
#79 of 1355 Old 08-02-2007, 03:11 PM

nak-

Monica- How did things go today?

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#80 of 1355 Old 08-02-2007, 03:21 PM

What an awesome day-it seems like so many people who haven't been running in a while or "regularly"-were able to get out today! Including me I packed the running stroller into the car and went running on the trail for a short 3.5 mi with K-finished at the Farmers Market-got some yummy veggies and fruit (have any of you had the orange sugar and sun cherry tomatoes this summer-they are like little sweet orbs of heaven ) Then went to the outdoor concert/puppet show at the Market with K. Great morning-but we were spent-its another super muggy day here-again in the 90's. Also got in a great yoga practice this morning-for those who haven't done it and usually do the yogatoday practices-the strength and invigorate practice with Neesha this week was fantastic(I think it might have been yesterdays)

Megs- I have no night weaning experience-but can relate to the "disagreements with dh" regarding sleep. Its tough.

Grnmtnmama-Love your new DDDC!

PO7-woohoo for your first steps toward marathon training

high-had a fantastic time with k this morning-there has been lots of struggles and attitudes lately (on both of our parts )and this morning we both just had a great time with each other.
low-can't think of one at the moment!
#81 of 1355 Old 08-02-2007, 03:32 PM

Pumpkinseed I don't think I ever told you how happy I was for you and K that her tests came back healthy!! Wowsa! That's so huge! Does she still have to do the profolactic antibiotics or anything or have you been able to leave them behind you? Congratulations!
#82 of 1355 Old 08-02-2007, 03:38 PM

Nope-we are done with them-thank goodness!!!!

Congrats on getting out there today

Also forgot to add before-Monica-hope the vet visit goes okay today.
#83 of 1355 Old 08-02-2007, 03:43 PM

Party of Seven - Haven't "seen" you in a while. Congrats on the baby! Did you have a boy or a girl?
#84 of 1355 Old 08-02-2007, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Just a short hike with my friends today - it s so hot and humid, and with a newborn along for et hike, we just took it easy. Hiked a trail to another waterfall, then found some rocks to sit on and had a leisurely picnic lunch. It was so nice.
#85 of 1355 Old 08-02-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
I'll talk to Dan about the 100% night duty thing. I think he'd be OK with that, maybe... though he is really upset at the whole situation right now and thinks that we are coddling her. I just feel guilty because I'm the one that has the opportunity to nap and rest during the day -- not him. But maybe if I bartered that I would be more productive around the house instead of napping, he'd get on board... I don't know. Blork blork blork.
Let him know that it took Leah like 2 semi-rough nights, 2 fairly easy nights to get the routine. Now Erik goes in there for her 11 pm wake up and he pats her back to sleep in about 1 minute.

And if that doesn't work tell him coddle, schmoddle.

#86 of 1355 Old 08-02-2007, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I know nightweaning is oft-debated here, but I'd rather do that than CIO alone (which Dan was totallly advocating last night) and/or wean her completely. And I've gots to get some solid sleep or I'm going to go insane.
I used to be one of *those* people that would think that everything had to be NFL perfect... and then I finally experienced all the stages of baby through young school-aged and realized that there is no way in heck that I can live up to all the expectations that this place holds. I weaned pretty aggressively with both of my children. With DD I was PG and I was NOT going to nurse two kids at once. With my DS, I was just getting sick of breastfeeding after 2 years and ended up weaning in a really short amount of time, like a month or something. Things really changed for me, like being able to sleep, after weaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylAnn View Post
I ran! I was aiming for 3 miles but my Garmin made me run farther. I know it was farther because I've measured in my car and my Garmin usually doesn't make me run that far.
This Garmin thing is really interesting! I need to go look it up so I can have a better idea when you talk about it.

I'm not working out today. I had planned to do a 1m-12m bike-1m brick today, but now I registered for a 5K this weekend and need to take a couple days off. I think it is good for me because my knees are not feeling the best today and I should probably rest them.

I'm also registering for a 10K run as soon as I'm off of MDC. I just need to get a sitter for it since GF is doing the same race but the half-marathon distance.

coffee-drinking caffix.gifsocial worker in HIV/AIDS ribbonred.giflady-loving ribbonrainbow.gifbike-riding bikenew.gifmom of two twins.gif
#87 of 1355 Old 08-02-2007, 04:58 PM

Internet just got turned on, so stopping by to sub!

More later........
#88 of 1355 Old 08-02-2007, 05:27 PM

elcome to chinakat and all the other newbies. I'm still relatively new to the Dingoes myself.

CherylAnn you're totally selling me on the Garmin. My dh is totally into gadgets like that. I'm afraid to look and see how much it is. Last time I looked at GPS they were way out of my budget. I would just love to race against a little gray man:nana:

I need to go out and run after work. I either need to do 15 minutes or 90 sec On/60 sec off. It's 91F right now and I really want to go, just not in this muggy heat. Dh can get the girls at daycare but I need to be sure I get home, dressed and out the door before I'm spotted by A. Otherwise I'm stuck on the couch until dinner :
#89 of 1355 Old 08-02-2007, 05:33 PM

face painting extravaganza!

dd and I's attempt to entertain ourselves on this hot hot august day. No run for me after all. Root canal wasn't too bad, the dentist was very quick, efficient, and I think did a good job. But I'm wore out from day 2 of no sleep. I think E is teething. He just got his third tooth (up top) and I think the other is coming.
#90 of 1355 Old 08-02-2007, 05:42 PM

http://misplaced-canuck.blogspot.com/ I don't normally link my blog but I'm very thrilled with this, it's a dress for Wendy's dd. Especially since it came out of the dye bath a very very bright red and made me think I'd messed it up without having enough fabric left to try again.

on topic I ran 2.5 last night, first run in a week. In a really bad migraine cycle which I stupidly made worse by drinking Sat night. I work all day to get the pain under control, feel relatively decent from about 6pm on and then wake up the next morning in pain again at about 4am. Sigh. Only 5 more days till my vacation.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page