Dingoes moving through August - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1355 Old 08-01-2007, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Let's start another month!

I am off for a 25 km bike ride this morning, then buying hiking shoes/boots for another stretch of our hike tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 1355 Old 08-01-2007, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
whew. hot in my office. I left the little crappy ac on overnight and I think it made it hotter in my office. I mean seriously it is humid and there's not even a drop in the dang bucket that you take out.

hope you all are cool. balancin holy smokes mama! hope you get some serious body rest in there.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#3 of 1355 Old 08-01-2007, 11:07 AM

Morning ladies!

I can't believe it's August already...

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#4 of 1355 Old 08-01-2007, 11:12 AM

Shanti, sounds heavenly to ride a bike and then go for a hike the next day. I need another real vacation, not the unplanned sick kid days I've been taking from work.

I went out yesterday for another base building run. I'm just trying to get back into the groove of running after several years off for my girls. I kept the girls home because A, my 13mo dd, has been running a fever off and on for a few days. R, the 4 yo, is simply burnt out from daycare so she'll take any time away from there that she can get. (I can't wait for her to start pre-K in September. There will be to pay if daycare doesn't open the slot they've been promising me for 6 months).

Anyways, I have to tell you about my run. It was completely fogged in. I could barely see the ocean. I was doing 60 seconds running, 90 seconds walking. I would do a countdown for R before I would start running. As I'm doing one of the runs, R screams, "Faster Mommy, faster, faster, faster!": A lady running in the same direction as I but across the street heard this and practically came to a dead halt to turn around and look. She was cracking up. I'm sure I was a sight too: a somewhat overweight mom huffing against a double jogger. The only thing missing were reins and a whip being held by R.

It was a fun day.
#5 of 1355 Old 08-01-2007, 11:23 AM

subbing

Balancin - how are you feeling today? keep drinking!

kdabbler - that sounds too cute! I get lots of comments when I have the double.

Kerc - ugh.

No run today - I hope to tomorrow, but I'm not sure how I will feel after the root canal. If I feel okay I will go, but since it'll be in the middle of the day on a high humidity and 95*, it will likely be shorter than I would like. At least I'm out there.
#6 of 1355 Old 08-01-2007, 11:24 AM

subbing

welcome to august!

i might have a race to add to the list...tbd in the next week or so

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#7 of 1355 Old 08-01-2007, 11:55 AM

Hola!

Kdabbler -- all your dd needs is a toga to complete that little "Ben Hur" moment! Hee hee heeeee...

The only thing that's happened to me repeatedly while jogging with Neve in the stroller is that, if she's fallen asleep, passersby will announce it to me. And then she wakes up. Ummmm... thanks.

It took a while to get the kid to sleep last night (my fault: should have gotten up from that afternoon nap earlier, but it just felt soooooo goooooood), but she was down before 10pm and stayed down until 3:30am again. Woot, woot! I feel like a functioning human being this morning!

Oh, I made pork chops for dinner last night. Slobber! They were awesome. I couldn't resist after all the chop talk here.

RR: nothing planned. If the weather stays cool enough, I may trot the bike around for 30 minutes or so -- nothing too crazy. My first Tri is this weekend, plus I think I've been overdoing it lately (combined with breastfeeding and not sleeping much).

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#8 of 1355 Old 08-01-2007, 12:15 PM

nak-

Super busy around here.

Plady-I think of you and your sweet baby often!

Megan-We are having sleep issues here too.

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#9 of 1355 Old 08-01-2007, 12:17 PM

if you're not sick of my race, you can see some photos of what it was like here. There aren't any of myself, they all seem to be the marathoners who started a couple hours before we did. And they got to do some thing that we didn't, like the deep water swim. but they're nice photos, mostly of men in really good shape.
#10 of 1355 Old 08-01-2007, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnmtnmama View Post
here. <snip> but they're nice photos, mostly of men in really good shape.
Thank you for the eye candy. Lot of body parts too

Megs_BK - Ben Hur moment that's too funny. I don't think I'll be able to run with that stroller without thinking about that now

Babybugmama: good luck!
#11 of 1355 Old 08-01-2007, 01:58 PM

kdabbler, that's funny!!

RM, it's so sweet of you to ask about my running. I'm just not doing it. I'm not feeling particularly rebellious about it, though, which is good. I miss it and can't seem to prioritize it. I'm trying to avoid the busy kind of life I created for myself last year, but took a couple of moonlighting jobs while I'm trying to learn how to be a preschool teacher (that sounds bad. Just in case any of my kids' parents read this board. It's just my insecurity speaking. ). So, time management needs to come to the forefront...I've avoided managing my time for so long! Anyway, I have lots of excuses. Watch me put running closer to the top of my list starting...tomorrow. Seriously, I just can't do it today. There are still 6 kids who belong to other people in my house right now and then we have to scoot to swimming lessons for the entire afternoon. I'm SUPPOSED to travel to Seattle today, but I am pretty sure that I'm not going to. We'll see. I'm rambling now. It really is all related to why I'm not running. Discipline is something I have very little of.
#12 of 1355 Old 08-01-2007, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ok, so having a new thread might be the appropriate time to ask what the heck the *Dingo* is all about. I just haven't got it yet

Yuck! It's August! That means I start school again really, really soon. I'm loving my free lifestyle right now.

Went for a 2.25 fun this morning before work. I did a hill workout, which was good for me. Heading out real soon to do a 12-ish mile bike ride and then I think I might browse some thrift stores this afternoon. I need to find some shorts and pants for myself.

I might register for a 5K this weekend. It's in a town really close to me. GF and I were supposed to be out of town this weekend, but that isn't happening. So I might as well do a race since it's so close by.

coffee-drinking caffix.gifsocial worker in HIV/AIDS ribbonred.giflady-loving ribbonrainbow.gifbike-riding bikenew.gifmom of two twins.gif
#13 of 1355 Old 08-01-2007, 02:10 PM

Mostly just subbing, here.

CherylAnn - how often do you teach punctuation to preschoolers, though!

kdabbler- love the jogger image. My little dd, when I was training for a half marathon, came with on most long runs. If I had to stop to walk she'd turn around and say "Are you running or walking?" in this very put out voice. She's better motivation than a coach sometimes!

Off to register the kids for school, then to late lunch/early supper with mom and aunt. Back to report later. I'm wearing my dingo shirt for comfort and strength!
#14 of 1355 Old 08-01-2007, 02:21 PM

Balancin - Yikes mama! That's kind of scary! I don't blame you for having doubts after an episode like that but give yourself plenty of time before making any big decisions. You can always switch to the half at the last minute and as someone said the conditions will be very different all around by race day.

Megs - So glad you're beginning to feel caught up!

DrJen - Sending vibes for calm cool collectedness for you and your mom today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdabbler View Post
It was completely fogged in. I could barely see the ocean. I was doing 60 seconds running, 90 seconds walking. I would do a countdown for R before I would start running. As I'm doing one of the runs, R screams, "Faster Mommy, faster, faster, faster!": A lady running in the same direction as I but across the street heard this and practically came to a dead halt to turn around and look. She was cracking up. I'm sure I was a sight too: a somewhat overweight mom huffing against a double jogger. The only thing missing were reins and a whip being held by R.
That sounds awesome, all of it, especially the fog by the ocean and the missing whip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post
wemoon~nooooooooooooo! not the elimination diet and my beloved energy bars!!!!!!! aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!
RM - Maybe doing some abdominal massage would also help to move the gas through before it has time to build up and get painful. I'm sure the elimination diet is a good idea though I hope you don't find that cutting out anything you love makes the difference!

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama View Post
Plady - I think of you often too. I wish I had words of wisdom, but I just want you to have that baby safe in your arms. I can't wait. Is your tag in your signature correct? I guess I thought you were further along.

Oh yeah, question for any knowledgeable dingos...I have to have a root canal thursday (yay me ), is the novacaine stuff okay for nursing?
Yup, 33 weeks this week. But according to the tentative schedule August 30 is the bid day, so not much longer really. My dentist told me that novacaine wouldn't be a problem for dd when I had to get 7 fillings done when she was about 11 months old. But take that with a grain of salt, she was the same dentist who told dd she should eat more candy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylAnn View Post
eksmom, good to see you! Fun to know that others are reading HP, too. Naomi got our copy first, as soon as we drove back into town last Friday (we had it pre-ordered from our local bookstore). Fletcher and I are both going to re-read HP6 before we read 7, and Fletcher has 6 right now. I almost can't wait! But, since it's the last book and the frenzy will be over for me for good as soon as I finish it, I suppose there is no harm in prolonging the anticipation a bit longer.

Plady, I'm also thinking of you a lot lately. You are doing so amazingly well, considering. Are you having any symptoms?
I'm reading my HP too. My plan to read only a chapter a day isn't exactly working out but I haven't finished it yet either. I'm finding it easier to put down this time because I know that this is it. I'm just worried that someone might ruin the ending for me still!

As for symptoms, I've been itchy and a bit depressed. The itching actually seems to be getting a bit better although every time I think about it I realize I'm scratching sort of mindlessly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
I get back trouble when I am experiencing stress. So guess what hurts today? I decided to go ahead yesterday and take the kids to the pool, and when I got back, there were all these messages from work...ugh. I hope the change to FT obliterates some of these communication and availability/response issues. I mean, as it stands, on my "days off," I basically have to stalk email, which means I am chained to my computer anyway. If I can't spend "off" days having fun anyway, should I not just be FT and get the vacation days so that I CAN afford to occasionally take the kids somewhere? Sorry. Rant over.
Hear hear mama! Did you read the article in the NY Times last week about the problems of working PT? You just described one of the biggies.

So I just came back from Non-Stress Test #2 and this time it was actually not stressful! I cannot convey how relieved I am. I went in bracing myself for another scary episode but it was actually fine. I brought my ice packs, cold water and dosed myself up with rescue remedy right beforehand. I didn't have to fight not to wear the gown (which had made me all sweaty), I jacked up the bed to a more comfortable tilt to start, told the nurse right off where baby's butt was so it didn't take her so long to find the right heartbeat. And I just flopped my lags to the side right off so I wasn't really on my back so much at all. HUGE difference. When my doctor came I think even she was relieved to see that I was so much more relaxed. So, now I have renewed hope that I can do this in the hospital. I am going to investigate the birth center a little more, just in case, but I do feel a big relief today.

High: Not panicking in the labor room!

Low: Realizing that I'm phasing back out of my love/need for that morning cup of coffee. Typical of me in late pregnancy but still sad.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#15 of 1355 Old 08-01-2007, 02:31 PM

Mandy, great photos!! It looks so hard. I want to do that, too! Do you know if there are any others around the country?
#16 of 1355 Old 08-01-2007, 02:39 PM

Happy August, friends.
I'm hoping for a five miler today on the TM again.
I'm so sick of proofing photos for the wedding I did 1.5 weeks ago. I thought I was done, then realized that I'd missed about 25. No biggie in the grand scheme of things (nearly 450 photos) but I'm sick of looking at this wedding! I've been working my a$$ off on it and work.
My Mac is having issues, so I'm reinstalling the system right now....I pray I don't lose anything...like photos!!!!!

I've been wondering about Schatz, too. I want to know how her training is going for our half marathon. I've been a wiener.
#17 of 1355 Old 08-01-2007, 02:39 PM

Good point, Dr.Jen!

Plady, I'm glad the appt. went so well.

wemoon, someone else could give you a better explanation, but it has to do with another mama here whose screen name is The Naughty Dingo. Folks were "chasing" her, I believe. So, when I arrived here about a year and a half ago that was he passtime of choice...chasing the naughty dingo.

Oooh. There were other posts I wanted to respond to, but I have to hop in the shower and then distribute these girls at their various domicides. So, I'm distracted and wanting to be more in a hurry that I seem to be...that discipline thing again.
#18 of 1355 Old 08-01-2007, 02:47 PM

Don't mean to hog the board, just forgot to sub in!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#19 of 1355 Old 08-01-2007, 02:47 PM

wooooopsie. Just saw Schatz's post on the other thread....
GET RUNNING, GIRL!!!! You're doing the half with me in 1.5 months!!!!!!!!
#20 of 1355 Old 08-01-2007, 03:01 PM

Planned on getting up to run this am before dd woke up. However, my alarm clock is dh: when he gets up for work-and he slept in this am. So I got in an hour of yoga this morning instead.
(Kerc-I did the hips/hammies one from the other day-you are right -it seemed mellow-but at the end my hips were definitely feeling it)

We went to see Dinosaur Rocks! this morning-gigantic people size dinosaurs did not go over well with K-we went out for a bit-and she watched it on the tv-got used to it-went back in and had a ball It was a pretty good show-lots of learning for the older kids and just fun music for the younger ones. Its about two scientists hanging out in a museum making the dinosaurs come to life by using their fossils-very cute-and you learn about each one.

eksmom-i PM'd you.
#21 of 1355 Old 08-01-2007, 03:06 PM

subbing . . .
#22 of 1355 Old 08-01-2007, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Great bike ride this morning. I took the trail one way and rode along the shore road on the way home - SO beautiful. I picked up a pair of sturdy sandals for hiking - they can get wet, they fit perfectly, and they will keep my feet cool and protected at the same time...... and they were on sale big time - so were leather Birkenstocks ($40!) so I got another pair because mine are wearing out big time and have been resoled more times than I can remember. They usually cost $100 more than that, so I used that to kind of justify the purchase. :

I officially start another course today. I have started the work already. It is not a difficult course but it is a lot of work. It is going to keep me hopping, but I plan to finish it by (Canadian) Thanksgiving.

I had a good meeting with the parish priest this morning. I was nervous going in, but I wanted to connect with him after finsihing my spiritual direction training. The last priest was not interested at all - for many reasons : He invited me to help with a retreat day for the teachers just before school starts and to do some parish retreat type things with him during the year. It is a beginning. Church work doesn't hold a huge appeal to me, but it is a good place to start while my private practice grows. This priest is a nice guy and pretty cool - just constrained by the reality of the Catholic church these days. With more time and expereince I can create retreats and opportunities for people that will allow me to express my theology and ideas more freely. For now, this will do

1jooj, crebrun and Naughty Dingo - what are you all doing September 22? I am thinking of going with dh to visit his parents and I will be in Lake Geneva, WI for the weekend.....
#23 of 1355 Old 08-01-2007, 03:35 PM

Plady~so happy to hear about your non stress test! yay!

The gas isn't painful (thankfully), just annoyingly there all the time. I'm really trying to think about what I eat that may be the culprit. I have a friend that became allergic to gluten/wheat out of the blue. It was weird, but made me know that it can happen like that.

off to play with kids and get some ab work in.
#24 of 1355 Old 08-01-2007, 04:25 PM

Plady-my dh finished reading the book you mentioned on your blog a few months ago. He really enjoyed it. I could talk for hours about his depression-but in a nutshell, I think the book really helped him just be happy in the moment and not get bogged down by the state of the world. It was funny-when he asked me to put the book on hold for him at the library-my eyes must have perked up or something-because he immediately said-now don't get excited-its not a self help book (He refuses to see anyone about his depression.period.) But in the end-he did get something out of it.
#25 of 1355 Old 08-01-2007, 04:34 PM

FWIW, my BIL had major success with an elimination diet. He'd been uber congested allllll the time. Horrible runny noses. Just nastiness in general. The minute he cleared out dairy, it was gone. The minute he reintroduced... it was back. So, sucks to be him with respect to ice cream, but I think he's happier now! My sister has also discovered a big-time wheat sensitivity. I'm tempted to try an elimination diet myself, just to see if some of my fatigue issues are food-related.

'Though today I have good energy! Woot, woot. The kitchen is clean and laundry is folded/put away. I still need to do the kitchen floor before I pick Nevie up, and then we are headed to Costco for milk and other things that we actually do eat in bulk quantities. Apples, lately. I've been making applesauce and nevie loves it. Maybe I should jar it and sell to tourists in Vermont...? Anyone? Anyone?

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#26 of 1355 Old 08-01-2007, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs_BK View Post
Apples, lately. I've been making applesauce and nevie loves it. Maybe I should jar it and sell to tourists in Vermont...? Anyone? Anyone?
i love that stupid movie. watch it whenever i see it on tv. made tons of applesause for K when he was a baby and i hardly ever worked. sigh.
#27 of 1355 Old 08-01-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnmtnmama View Post
i love that stupid movie. watch it whenever i see it on tv. made tons of applesause for K when he was a baby and i hardly ever worked. sigh.

wait a minute. are we talking baby boom with diane keaton?

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#28 of 1355 Old 08-01-2007, 05:45 PM

Hi, I'm new here!

DD2 turned 6 weeks old on Monday so I gave myself permission to start running again. I had a c-section but I feel pretty good, nonetheless I'm taking it kinda easy for starters.

I've been walking since DD2 was born, worked up to a 2.5 mile out and back route. Monday and Tuesday I ran the first mile or so of the route and then briskly walked the rest. Every day I'm going to slowly add a little more running, until I can comfortably run the whole thing... then I'm going to add more distance.

I'm still hauling some serious baby chub so running was HARD. I don't run much during my pregnancies b/c my hips get wonky so I'm practically starting from scratch. My goal is to get back to being able to run 5 miles comfortably. Once I can do that, I will start thinking about racing some 5Ks.

I missed running so much. Even though I am SO VERY OUT OF SHAPE right now, I still am so happy to be running again!!!
#29 of 1355 Old 08-01-2007, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

#30 of 1355 Old 08-01-2007, 07:10 PM

Hi, I'm new here too. I lurked a little through July, but couldn't keep up, so I decided to wait for the new thread to actually join in.

I only started running in the spring when i decided to do a triathlon. I always hated running, so it was hard for me to get started. Now that I have been doing it and managed to do it for the triathlon, I really do like running! I am now trying to build myself up to a 10k. I've always heard that running can be addictive and never could figure out why, but now I get it! I hate missing a run. Except today, but I am generally feeling tired and lazy today, one day of rest is allowed.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page