headache after running - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-13-2007, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm doing the couch potato to 5K thing. After I run, I get a headache (maybe an hour after I run). Why is this? What can I do about it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 08-13-2007, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Drink more water.

Especially when it's hot, I need to drink more throughout the day before running. Then retank up when you get home.

It's a balancing act. You don't want to chug too much right before going out otherwise you get cramps and you gotta pee, though!e
#3 of 11 Old 08-13-2007, 12:34 PM

DRINK MORE WATER

Oops I didn't mean to have capslock on but I'll leave it cause it's important

Like Geofizz said I find I have to drink a TON throughout the day before I run. If I wait until running time it's too late, I drink a bunch and it just sloshes in my belly. Very unpleasant. Then when I get back I drink more water. Not super cold water though.

jog.gif:bikenew.gif// knit.gif:reading.gif:notes2.gif // cat.gif:cat.gif 

Our precious baby girl is coming to turn our world upside down in January 2014!

#4 of 11 Old 08-13-2007, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

That's funny, because I feel like I drink a ton of water. I go out to run around 6am. I get up at 5:30am and have a big glass of water, some applesauce, and some almonds. And I make sure to go to the bathroom and take a few more sips before I go.

It's not terribly hot when I go out - probably only 80 or so.
#5 of 11 Old 08-13-2007, 10:02 PM

80 is hot for running. i second all the advice you've been given, and would suggest an electrolyte balancing drink when you get back.
#6 of 11 Old 08-13-2007, 10:07 PM

80 in central florida is not that hot though if you're acclimated. When you pee is it clear after you run or bright yellow? If it's clear you may want to talk to your doctor about the headaches, if it's yellow look at better hydration. It may also be that your electrolytes are getting out of whack...so maybe something different like gatorade...
#7 of 11 Old 08-13-2007, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama View Post
80 in central florida is not that hot though if you're acclimated. When you pee is it clear after you run or bright yellow? If it's clear you may want to talk to your doctor about the headaches, if it's yellow look at better hydration. It may also be that your electrolytes are getting out of whack...so maybe something different like gatorade...
Yeah, 80 is the coolest it gets right now. That's why I start before 6am. It get up around 95-98 later in the day. I won't do that!

My pee... thanks for asking! Um... I think it's fairly clear, with a bit of yellow. But it's really always been really clear. It's never bright yellow, though. Why would clear mean I should talk to my doctor? (And I guess I should get a doctor, huh? Been meaning to do that since after my 3 year old was born!)
#8 of 11 Old 08-14-2007, 12:18 AM

Another possibility is that the way you are holding your arms and shoulders is tense and you get a tension headache. This sometimes happens to me, especially when I start running again after not running for a few weeks or more. If you're a relatively new runner, this might be something you should check out in your form--stay loose in the shoulders!

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

#9 of 11 Old 08-14-2007, 12:53 PM

Well I guess I was thinking that if your pee was relatively clear or only pale yellow then dehydration was likely not the culprit. VeganCupcake makes a good point too though.

So maybe a few things to try are drink some gatorade or some sort of sports drink after running, loosen up your arms and relax.

How was your more recent runs?
#10 of 11 Old 08-14-2007, 12:57 PM

Here's a couple things I found:

http://www.runwashington.com/feature...headaches.html
http://www.abc.net.au/rn/talks/8.30/...ories/s233.htm

Quote:
You know exercise is good for you. But did you know that exertion can leave you with a pounding headache?

Headaches triggered by any form of exercise are known as exertional or exercise headaches. Strenuous activities such as running and lifting weights are common culprits.

Exercise headaches have no underlying cause other than exertion. Although annoying, exercise headaches aren't serious. Proper diagnosis is important, however. Sometimes headaches after exercise are due to a serious underlying cause — such as bleeding in the brain.
from this article:http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exe...641/DSECTION=1
#11 of 11 Old 08-14-2007, 06:29 PM

I was having the same issue (doing couch to 5K as well!) yesterday when the headache started I had some powerade and it went away within half and hour. So, for me at least it was an electrolyte issue. I had powerade this morning while I was walking and seem to have skipped the headache today. I think tomorrow I'm going to have a banana (for potassium [sp?]) and a handful of nuts (sodium and protein) before I run and see if that helps.

Good luck!!
Mel

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page