October - Chasing the Naughty Dingos Running Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 936 Old 10-02-2007, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RR: I wogged last night with my puppy. She doesn't totally get the consistent forward motion thing yet. It's mostly a sprint/walk/sprint/jog/walk/sprint combo.

On the PB note, I grew up on whatever was on sale. I do like natural peanut butter and how it tastes, but I haven't made the switch yet.

HBM ~ I hope you caught a few hours of shut eye after you posted.

Plady ~ Sorry you didn't get a longer break from AF.

Eksmom ~ Glad to see you posting. for you.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#62 of 936 Old 10-02-2007, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonikitaUT View Post
My funky heartbeat is back, and it drives me nuts. I've been wondering if I should go to the doctor about it, but I really think it would be a waste of time. My mom and my sister have the same thing, and I believe it is due to stress. I got it for the first time the week following my 20 mile run. I wasn't sure if it was related to running 20 miles, or how freaking terrified I was to run the marathon. Anyhow, it has persisted on and off since then. It seems to be worse (at least I notice it more) when my blood pressure is up. Paige? Jen? Any thoughts on this?
i forget what your heartbeat thing is, but i have these episodes where it feels like my heart is beating really fast. it comes and goes and happens at the oddest of times - like when i'm sitting on the couch. i asked my midwife about it at the last appt and she said that a lot of women in their 30's experience something like that but that if it bugged me or got worse she would advise me to talk it over with my primary care dr and possibly schedule some tests. it hasn't been happening as much lately, so i didn't pursue anything.
#63 of 936 Old 10-02-2007, 11:11 AM

Funky HB Thing: It is like it skips a beat and then does one really hard long beat to catch up, then several fast beats after that. I can feel it/hear it in my head. It does it just after I lay down at night, and sometimes when I sit down. (So after I've stopped moving.) If I am laying on my side with my arm next to my chest I can feel the huge long beat - it feels like my heart is jumping out of my chest.

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
#64 of 936 Old 10-02-2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
.Though I wouldn't know. I hate anything but the natural stuff. Raised by hippies and all...
laughup

Erik and I have been toying with the idea of getting a little sign that says "Hippies use side door."

sigh. Leah is very demanding today. sigh again. off for a long walk as soon as I get my lab posted for my online class.

kr: pics of leah's crown on the knitting blog.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#65 of 936 Old 10-02-2007, 11:34 AM

Monica, hope you feel better soon. Always scary to have something funky going on with the heart, even if it isn't "serious."

On transfats. Companies can list 0 trans fats if it is under something like 2%. Basically, if it has anything hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated it has transfats.

Have a few hours to myself. Trying to decide what to do.

ETA: Oh, and I got DH to stop eating peanut butter, which he seemed to eat by the gallon, by finding a connection between pb and ADD/ADHD, which he thinks that he has. True or not, or rather if it has helped him or not, he at least gave up the Jif addiction. We now do almond and cashew butter.
#66 of 936 Old 10-02-2007, 11:39 AM

I looked at my Jif this morning (ahh, Jif ) and it says 0 trans fats, and in the ingredients it says "fully hydrogenated" something oil - instead of partially hydrogenated. So does that mean no trans fats? It seems like if partially hydrogenating is bad, then fully hydrogenating might not be OK, but I don't really understand the science behind it.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#67 of 936 Old 10-02-2007, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wemoon View Post
Congrats Callie!

RM- Are you nervous for your marathon? It's funny because last year when I started running I said that I had no desire to ever run a marathon. Now I know that at some point I will do one. I'm shooting for not this next season, but maybe the season after that. I have to wait until my kids are old enough to stay home alone on the long runs because of my single-mom status. But that works out fine because next season I want to concentrate on tris.

Wemoon~ahh, yeah, I'm freaked out!! I'm starting to think things like "wholly crap, what have I gotten myself into?!" and "is this really happening?" and "well now you actually have to do it, dummy!". Then I'll have a spark of excitement like "I'll be a marathon runner in a few days, whoo hoo!" then the doubt comes flooding back. tick tock!
#68 of 936 Old 10-02-2007, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonikitaUT View Post
Funky HB Thing: It is like it skips a beat and then does one really hard long beat to catch up, then several fast beats after that. I can feel it/hear it in my head. It does it just after I lay down at night, and sometimes when I sit down. (So after I've stopped moving.) If I am laying on my side with my arm next to my chest I can feel the huge long beat - it feels like my heart is jumping out of my chest.
Mine does this too..it almost feels like my heart is flopping backwards or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post
Wemoon~ahh, yeah, I'm freaked out!! I'm starting to think things like "wholly crap, what have I gotten myself into?!" and "is this really happening?" and "well now you actually have to do it, dummy!". Then I'll have a spark of excitement like "I'll be a marathon runner in a few days, whoo hoo!" then the doubt comes flooding back. tick tock!
You will be so estatic! And you are going to do great!! Guess what I did yesterday? Began washing large diapers. Big E still fits the mediums, but I can tell sometimes they feel a little short (like to cover his butt - he has a monster butt ).

I did a good 5 miles this morning with jgmommo. It was good she was out there - I've had a hard time motivating myself to run lately. Tomorrow I have another running date with another mom from dd's school. I'm a little anxious...

Dd's dentist appt is in a couple hours. I tried to tell her a little bit of what to expect. I don't want to scare her, but I don't want her to be unprepared either. Poor soul. We have options for this afternoon afterwards...She has tap tonight, but if she doesn't want to do that I'm going to offer a movie. We've got the little rascals. She would love that! Lots of slapstick humor - she loves that stuff.
#69 of 936 Old 10-02-2007, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy926 View Post
I was hoping to get in under 2:30, but based on my long runs (which were sloooowwww) I really didn't expect to come close to that, so I was happy. OTOH, I really don't think I push myself very hard. I had plenty of energy left at the end and wasn't all that winded after crossing the line. I think I'm always so afraid I'll use up all my energy before the end that I wind up having more than enough left over.
Congrats, Nancy! I think I do the same thing -- start out slow so I don't bonk at the end. I never really "race" but rather run and try to do ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
Schatz, I may have missed it, but what's the latest on your mom?

here, but I haven't gotten the rest of the pictures uploaded yet.

I miss running. I miss the actual doing of it, and I miss the way I feel afterwards.
We don't know anything more about my mom yet. She goes for her pre-op consult/lab work/whatever on Oct 10 with the oncologist. I don't even know what we'll know after that except that the doc will decide if surgery is in order or not. I'm assuming that unless they can tell that she's stage 4, they'll do surgery since she's post-menopause. From what we've been told, they can't tell the stage until they do surgery. Since my mom is being so cagey about her symptoms and for how long they've been present, I'm going to assume the best until I know more if for no other reason than to preserve my sanity. (fyi - for those who missed it, my mom was just diagnosed with uterine cancer)

Once again, great cake pics Kate! And I was the same way during both pregnancies. I really wanted the feeling of running but just couldn't do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicocj View Post
: :

Passed! Signed forms! So happy! <-- as coherent as I possibly can be right now...
go callie, go callie, go callie!!!! Congratulations!

No running yet today but dh said this morning that I should run tonight - said with a sense that perhaps he'll keep the kids so I can go solo (of course, that was just after x-training so he was pretty happy )
#70 of 936 Old 10-02-2007, 02:36 PM

BBM~ My 6yo dd has had a lot of dental work done. I prepared her by telling her that the doc was going to put some stuff on her gums to make them numb so she wouldn't feel anything....and that they would use tools etc. to work on her teeth. I also told her that she was to wave her hand if she felt any pain so the doctor would know. I never told her there was a needle involved, and the dentist is always careful about not letting her see it. I never had a problem getting my teeth worked on until I found out there was a needle involved....I think I was 13 or 14 DD's dentist says that she is one of her best patients....I have stayed in the room with them several times, and she really is a trooper....she thinks its fun. I'll tell her about the needles when she is 20.

Runningmommy~ You will do fine. I had a serious little panic attack before my ultra. I had the same thoughts go through my head. I did just fine. You will too.

MonikitaUT~ Sounds like something you might want to have checked out. I had a pretty good heart murmur when I was pregnant....all of the stress of having my organs squished and moving all of that extra blood around. Its all back to normal now. Hope you feel better soon

JenLove~ Hope your puppy figures it out. It drives me nutz when they do that.

Megs_BK~ My sis used to do community theater in HS. I would go to watch them practice and it was always so much fun.

eksmom~ I know how hard it is when you miss running. I had such a hard time mentally and physically when I stopped running. It was like giving up part of my identity...I felt so defeated. It was worth it though to have this sweet baby girl here with me now. It seems like an eternity, but really it was just a blink of an eye. You will bounce back so fast too....don't even worry about it.

Shantimama~ Thanks for the input on dd's tonsils. I am just praying that I don't put her through all of that for nothing. I'm really hoping that it does her some good and helps her sleep and behave better. I'm so glad it worked for your dd. Have fun with your shantiquilts.

I ran 4 this morning with the crew in tow. When we got home I was playing peek-a-boo with Reagan and she gave me a real good chuckle....one of her first! It just melted my heart. She is sooooo sweeeeet!
#71 of 936 Old 10-02-2007, 02:41 PM

CONGRATULATIONS, DR. CALLIE!!!!!!!

Runningmommy ~ you're going to have a great marathon. I can't wait to read the report .

BBM ~ best of luck to your DD with her dentist appointment. My DS had to have 2 cavities (between two molars) filled last spring. It wasn't bad at all.

wemoon ~ I always said I'd never run a marathon either, but now I've got one penciled in for 2009! And, gulp, a 1/2 Ironman too !!!!

I took a hard spin class this morning and it felt GREAT! It's a poor substitute for actually being out on my bike, but until I find some cycling buddies who can ride the same time I can (early evening), I'm stuck spinning. I don't know the area well enough yet to venture out on my own, plus my flat-fixing skills are a little lacking :.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#72 of 936 Old 10-02-2007, 02:49 PM

Thanks guys for the reassurance.

I forgot to mention. I'm doing the Minster Oktoberfest 10K this sunday. Not really doing it for time, just doing it for fun.
#73 of 936 Old 10-02-2007, 02:49 PM

Congrats Dr. Callie!

Schatz, sorry to hear about your mom's diagnosis and i hope all goes well. I do quite a bit of freelance writing about cancer, FWIW.

p_o_s, that is brilliant not to tell your daughter about the needle. My DD is going to need some cavities filled w/in the next year (they are very small & right now just have temp fillings in them) and i will have to remember that!

LOL at the two Audreys we have. I am sort of a theatre nerd, though usually too introverted to do any acting. I did get to play Hamlet's mom in Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead about 5 years ago. I was pg w/DD1 at the time, so it put a whole new twist on the plot.

Planning to run tomorrow, though work has filled up my calendar with conference calls. How dare they. Maybe I can just bring the phone along on my run....

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#74 of 936 Old 10-02-2007, 02:58 PM

Yikes, finally just subbing on page 4!

I've had a rotten week. Stupid cold is kicking my butt, and I haven't run since Wed. I'm so bummed about this, because unlike other forced hiatuses I've had, I really FEEL like running, I just can't. I might try to do a mile or two on the treadmill tonight to just have a little taste of it.

My MIL is in the hospital. Had pneumonia and today is having a chest tube placed to drain fluid from around her lung. I think, anyway. FIL is not very medically savvy, so I'm going on what he says. We are not at all close to either FIL or MIL, and in fact haven't seen them in a year despite that they live 45 minutes away. I think it's really rough on my dh feeling like he should be visiting and supporting her, but having no good relationship there and a bunch of resentment over some past behaviors. They are not nice people, were lousy parents, and are pretty rotten grandparents (they have in fact seen Caroline only 3 times in her life, by their choice, and she's 4 years old already. And again, they live 45 minutes away.) Le sigh.

My oldest ds's best friend's dad is also in the hospital and was doing really poorly, but is looking a bit better now. I ran into the poor best friend looking forlorn in our hospital hallway. I brought him and the mom some lunch, though, and that seemed to cheer him up. The dad is only 56 years old, but has had type 1 diabetes since he was 3, is legally blind, and has been on dialysis for years. The mom has had a lot of health problems, too, and it's rough on the kids (ds's best friend is 19, and the older brother about 23.)

After all that sad news, I have some good news! I'm leaving in the morning to attend the national family practice annual meeting. I get to stay with a friend who lives just blocks from Balancin1. I'm hoping we'll get to meet up and I'll get to see RM and ND, too, later this week!

Off now to get my hair done, and take dh's grandfather out to supper tonight. I'll be checking in sporadically until I'm back Sunday now. Very thoughtful of you all that nobody is ready to pop this year! 2 years ago it was kerc we were stalking while I was gone at this conference, and last year it was Patti. Eksmom, it was very thoughtful of you to wait 'til April so I can stalk you sufficiently!
#75 of 936 Old 10-02-2007, 02:59 PM

Forgot to add --- YAYY DR. CALLIE!!!! We're so proud of you!
#76 of 936 Old 10-02-2007, 03:09 PM

Congratulations, Callie!!!! how awesome that you're a "DOC-TAH!"

plady, no fair, mama! enjoy that PB. if there's a costco anywhere around (i saw one in Mexico when we were there!) they have the store brand organic natural stuff, and it is the BEST. I prefer it, but on our recent budget crunch we went to store brand, and I totally think there are worse things out there to have your crunch card revoked over. not that a dingo would ever do such a thing.

i went shopping today for my SD's birthday present and ended up buying some shorts and a shirt (clearance) and some aveda makeup for, erm, myself. : but wow it was fun to have a little bit of cash to spend. And Mr. J was a perfect child and just hung out eating his pear while they tried on all kinds of lovely natural products on me.

rr: I ended up doing 5 miles today. was supposed to be seven, but I just can't get through the relatively big mileages in the middle of the week! I had time, just no energy for it. weird. but I guess that's okay because tomorrow I add the fourth day vs. only three running days, and I don't want to be totally worn out.

boy is up, take care mamas.
#77 of 936 Old 10-02-2007, 05:16 PM

Dd's appt went great! I don't think she even realized there was a shot involved. I am so proud of my brave little girl.
#78 of 936 Old 10-02-2007, 05:34 PM

I got my five miles in today but it was a tough run. Middle dc is sick so we're stuck home which meant I had to run on the treadmill that's sitting in the still semi-flooded basement. It was HUMID!! On the upside, I got to 6:58 on my fastest interval.

Lots of doctor/hospital stuff on the thread. I hope everyone is doing well.

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#79 of 936 Old 10-02-2007, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

just checking in to report that i did 45 minutes on the trail and made it a speed workout. now i'm sitting at my desk sweating like mad. back to work.
#80 of 936 Old 10-02-2007, 06:21 PM

jenlove--I would say you "wogginted." Don't discount that sprinting!

I really need new running music. Any rec's?

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#81 of 936 Old 10-02-2007, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by towsonmama View Post

knarles barkley-"Crazy"
#82 of 936 Old 10-02-2007, 06:58 PM

Quote:
jenlove--I would say you "wogginted." Don't discount that sprinting!

Gimme More ~ Britney Spears

#83 of 936 Old 10-02-2007, 07:47 PM

During my run yesterday I was thinking it would be cool to make a Dingo running music CD. We could each contribute two songs, maybe. I am so non-technical, I don't even know quite how to do this, but I would really enjoy it. Anybody know how to do it?

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#84 of 936 Old 10-02-2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy View Post
During my run yesterday I was thinking it would be cool to make a Dingo running music CD. We could each contribute two songs, maybe. I am so non-technical, I don't even know quite how to do this, but I would really enjoy it. Anybody know how to do it?
I think the easiest way would be to put someone in charge of making the cds and mailing them. So each person would make a request to the 'cd creator person' to find, download, burn to cd, and mail. I would be willing to take that responsibility if I got paypal for shipping costs.

#85 of 936 Old 10-02-2007, 08:20 PM

Oh now that would be sooo cool! I like that idea a lot. I'm always looking for good music.
#86 of 936 Old 10-02-2007, 09:10 PM

oh, I love that idea! count me in.... of course we would pp you for any costs, jenlove!

speaking of, I am about to buy Brandi Carlile (per eksmom's recommendation) bc I found out she sings one of my favorite songs and I didn't know it was her : hello!

must go watch biggest loser...
#87 of 936 Old 10-02-2007, 09:34 PM

Quote:
That race list has me a little intimidated. Maybe if I keep plugging along I'll catch up with some of you dingoes eventually. .
just do it - it's a slogan for a reason. i remember drjen telling me two years ago to just get out there and race - even if you have to walk, you're doing something most people don't, so go and have fun.
#88 of 936 Old 10-02-2007, 09:35 PM

Schatz, I remember that pre-op appt with my mom. It was a long appointment and overwhelming. Lots of explanation about the procedure, which was a complete hysterectomy including lymph nodes. She also signed up for some research her doc is doing so that probably made things longer. If you don't mind my asking, how did they diagnose her? My mom had a D&C to check a thickened lining. My biggest fear was that it had spread to her abdomen - but she didn't have any abdominal pain or tenderness, and no swelling or bloating and it turned out it was still contained. Halfway through the uterine wall, but still contained.

BBM, glad the dentist appt went well for DD.

RM, you will do great at the marathon!

mamabeth, I am *still* addicted to Brandi Carlile over 2 mos. after buying the album. Her voice is just so amazing.

A Dingo running CD sounds awesome! I'd be in. HBM, I think it has to have "Come on Eileen" on it. When I think of running hills, I think of you and that song... when I hear that song, I think of you and running hills...

DrJen, glad I could help out with the no-conflict stalking. Hope your MIL makes good progress. That's a hard situation.

Thanks for the commiseration about running. I haven't totally given up on the notion. I want to start getting out more consistently for walks and see where it goes.

I have been tired since I got out of bed today. EK and I just got back from haircuts and now I am going to shower and crawl in bed with her.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#89 of 936 Old 10-02-2007, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
Erik and I have been toying with the idea of getting a little sign that says "Hippies use side door."
we have that magnet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post
my advice - just have FUN! take it easy and enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by party_of_seven View Post
knarles barkley-"Crazy"
love it! dd does too.
#90 of 936 Old 10-02-2007, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would love to join in on a dingo CD! Just tell me what I need to do to particpate!

RM- You'll do awesome and you are going to feel like super-woman after it!

JayGee- I think I'm penciling in my marathon for 2009 as well. I need to feel out the 2008 tri season before I start thinking about the Ironman scene. But my GF is doing a half-Ironman next season. She's hoping to finish in about 7 hours!!! That is a heck of a long workout! I feel like someday I will be able to do a half and possibly a full Ironman. The full is just insane, but I will have to do it so I can get the tattoo I do hope to get an olympic distance tri in this next season though... hopefully the LifeTime fitness tri in Minneapolis. It was so much fun being a spectator there, I can't imagine the feeling of participating!

RR: Got my 5 miles in today, with a nice pace. I think I will make my goal of 8:30 min/miles for the 10K coming up. Then I have 2 more shots at getting my goal of a 7:30 min/mile pace for a 5K. I'll be doing a halloween fun run and then a veterans day 5K. If I can do that, then I will have made dang near all of my goals for this season. I'm still disappointed in not making my biking goal of 17mph, but I have plenty of time to make that for next season.

coffee-drinking caffix.gifsocial worker in HIV/AIDS ribbonred.giflady-loving ribbonrainbow.gifbike-riding bikenew.gifmom of two twins.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page