October - Chasing the Naughty Dingos Running Thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 936 Old 10-03-2007, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
JayGee--Thank you so much for your guidance! I feel like I need to start paying you a personal trainer fee. I tried the tempo run today but was only able to manage 1.5 miles at 8:20 for fast part. I did a hill workout afterwards to make up for pooping out early and also to begin prep for this trail run I think I'm getting myself into. Dh is bringing home the registration flyer tonight. As long as I didn't miss the deadline, I'm doing it. Ack!!!!

HBM--My friends are all "girlfriends." DD is starting to pick up on that phrasing. It sounds cute when a 4 yo talks about playing with her girlfriends but I have to admit I worry it will cause confusion or teasing when the whole puberty boy/girl obsession starts. Oh, and Stray Cat Strut is a well-loved classic in my household!

Pumpkinseed--I'd love to run without music but I usually sound like I'm dying so I try to mask that noise.

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#122 of 936 Old 10-03-2007, 06:02 PM

Another one here who doesn't run to music. I like getting into my head, thinking about stuff, etc.

I have a friend who listens to audio books when she runs. She says it's awesome. I'm just not sure I could concentrate!

Some songs that I WOULD listen to when running, if I listened to music....

Gwen Stefani - The Sweet Escape
Limp Bizkit - My Way (I am so not into LB, but I loved this song...I used to listen to it before every race!)
Katrina and the Waves - Walkin' On Sunshine

As for peanut butter...DH does most of the grocery shopping so I just eat what he gets. Right now it's skippy. We did have some good organic stuff...possibly from Costco, of all places....but I haven't seen that in awhile. Have you tried the peanut butter/dark chocolate combo spread? Like Nutella only better. Scarrrrrrrrryy stuff to have in the house, esp during PMS....

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#123 of 936 Old 10-03-2007, 06:13 PM

It isn't safe for me to run with music because I run at night and I need to be able to hear:

1. The car coming before it runs me over. (Sometimes they don't have headlights on.)

2. The cyclist coming before he/she runs me over. (For some reason they never have lights, despite it being pitch black, and they always aim for the light flashing on my arm. They pass about 2 inches from me, I swear.)

3. The dogs that fly off of porches and out from under cars that leap at us to kill us.

4. The psycho rapist killer running after me.

I don't mean to be a kill-joy... but for those of you that run outside, it isn't safe to listen to music. I wish I had that old Runner's World article on how to be a safe runner. Two of the main things I remember are don't wear headphones and don't wear a ponytail (because it makes it easy to grab you from behind).

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
#124 of 936 Old 10-03-2007, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy View Post
Hey Moonshine-I was thinking of you when I ran this morning. Have you started quitting yet? Please do come here for support when it gets tough.
Aren't you sweet. No, I haven't. But I am trying not to stress myself over it. I will happen, and I will run again. Just trying not to "should" myself. Enjoy your wine tonight.

Funny, some of you are naming songs that I really don't like, but I do know what you mean, mamabeth, about liking songs for running that are different from non-running songs.
#125 of 936 Old 10-03-2007, 08:44 PM

Going on another night of only 2 hours of sleep. Gotta hit the hay for a couple hours and go to a board meeting tonight. I don't know who is going to feed my kids. Hoping dh will order pizza and let me sleep.

My class was so incredibly phenomenal. I learned a word today..."tacit." Never knew that word before. But, it's perfect for describing the classes I've been taking. Instead of just feeling inadequate in my ability to be articulate I've discovered that the reason the class is so difficult to descibe is because the material is "understood or implied through actions." Which is only partially true, but accurate nonetheless.

Planning a run tomorrow afternoon. But, now I shall sleep.

ETA: Got into ravelry just now!!! Woohooo!
#126 of 936 Old 10-03-2007, 08:44 PM

It's official! I'm registered for the Gwynns Falls 6K on Oct. 28! My first real race!

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#127 of 936 Old 10-03-2007, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Good for you towsonmama!

Another that doesn't run with music. It seems that i'll frequently run in the rain or chance of run, so i never got in the habit and don't need it. I like to use the time to think, all my good ideas come while running. all of them. i save up things to think about while running. since i run on the trails, i don't worry about getting run over by cars but i do need to listen for bikes. but they're usually pretty accommodating on the trails.
#128 of 936 Old 10-03-2007, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
Schatz, I remember that pre-op appt with my mom. It was a long appointment and overwhelming. Lots of explanation about the procedure, which was a complete hysterectomy including lymph nodes. She also signed up for some research her doc is doing so that probably made things longer. If you don't mind my asking, how did they diagnose her? My mom had a D&C to check a thickened lining. My biggest fear was that it had spread to her abdomen - but she didn't have any abdominal pain or tenderness, and no swelling or bloating and it turned out it was still contained. Halfway through the uterine wall, but still contained.
My mom had bleeding (lots of bleeding) one day so she went to her regular doc who sent her to the OBGYN. They did a procedure that's not a D&C but where they insert a flexible tube and pull out part of the uterine lining I think. She said it hurt like he)). They examined the cells and made the diagnosis. Bleeding is a sign but they said my mom had so much because there's a polyp at the bottom end of her uterus. My mom isn't being really forthcoming about her other symptoms because I think she fears the worst. I'm just waiting until we know before I get all wigged out again. For me no news is good news - otherwise I'll go crazy.

No running last night but dh and I went for a walk between rain showers. Big flowin' today and I'd rather eat ice cream than run. So, I'll aim for tomorrow morning.

Made an appt with the clinic for an annual exam so I can probably get an IUD. I'm thinking that's the best option for now. But, I can't get in until Dec 4 so I have time to research

songs -- I like American Girl (tom petty), just about any bee gees or abba song, and some old Bo Deans songs (I used to run to a Bo Deans tape). I can run with or without music but Monica's right - I probably shouldn't run with it - especially in the morning when it's dark. I also need to get some new reflective gear.

that's enough for now

oh wait - I forgot that I just noticed HBM's signature and it cracked me up:

Quote:
***I NIP so put on your big girl panties and deal with it.***
: : I hear ya on that!

Oh, one more thing -- I'm not a nursing mom anymore. It's a thing. I just can't do it anymore. Ds is 2.5 yr --- I think he'd nurse til age seven if I let him. We were down to just a few minutes before bed and I just had to finally stop. Poor ds doesn't really like the idea. He tells me he wants lots of boo and that I'm mean. He always has been a boob man from day one. So much so that the NICU nurses were bummed because they didn't need to bottle feed him because he would nurse so well.

Ok, I'm really done now (for today )
#129 of 936 Old 10-03-2007, 09:16 PM

i weaned myself from running with music this summer. on occasion, i will take my ipod loaded with npr podcasts on a looooooooong run, and certainly listen to my old running mixes on the drive to a race.

ran 11 tonight, just because.
#130 of 936 Old 10-03-2007, 09:52 PM

Went for a walk tonight. Hoping it will help me toss and turn less in bed tonight.

Saw the OB today and we heard the heartbeat, in the 170s. So all seems well despite the spotting, but I'm still on pelvic rest. We also found out that they routinely do a Level II-type u/s at 18-20 weeks, which is raising new questions for us and bringing up the "do we find out the gender?" issue again.

towsonmama, I added you to the race list. WTG, signing up is half the battle.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#131 of 936 Old 10-03-2007, 10:31 PM

I forgot to ask earlier -- Runningmommy, how is your candida stuff going?
#132 of 936 Old 10-03-2007, 10:42 PM

I should have known you all weren't actually being THAT quiet, d'oh! it's a new month and here I am subbing on page three so I can lurk at least.

EK: a hundred belated thanks for the package, R loves it. I have a picture of her in one of the dresses to send you, and an envelope, and the two will meet tomorrow at last. Maybe I can even convince Mr. Stamp to come to the party.

RM: there's marathon madness here in town, can't wait to see you Saturday!

Jen: dug your VM out of my cell phone inbox but my archaeological skills do not extend to finding out how old, precisely, it is (I know it is old because of messages after. : I would love to see you as well and if for some reason the other place does not work out, you are always welcome here. Maybe dinner? I'll call/email you.

Hi to everyone else! I'm buried at work, R just hit the part at preschool they warned us about where it is hard for her all of a sudden, and DH is teaching this quarter unexpectedly so my recreational computer time is non-existant. I am holding the memory of Tennessee in my head to keep me sane and every time I drive or walk along the half route Jen and I ran last month I have a big grin on my face! I'm doing more biking than running but hoping for a 10K at the beginning of next month with Jen. Miss you all!
#133 of 936 Old 10-03-2007, 11:11 PM

On topic for once ~ I lifted legs this morning, did about 30 minutes of yoga and took Lizzy for a walk this evening.

How do you train a dog to consistently run? She has ADD on the leash. (FYI she still is a puppy.. about 4 months old.)

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#134 of 936 Old 10-03-2007, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLove View Post
On topic for once ~ I lifted legs this morning, did about 30 minutes of yoga and took Lizzy for a walk this evening.

How do you train a dog to consistently run? She has ADD on the leash. (FYI she still is a puppy.. about 4 months old.)
i'd work on solid walking skills first. it will be much easier to run later with a dog who knows - ok, this is my side, i stay right here, etc.
#135 of 936 Old 10-03-2007, 11:41 PM

I also run without music! I used to kind of like it, back when I was running for more external reasons (Air Force requirement; wanting to look good instead of just feel good, etc). This winter/spring begat a complete change of perspective for me with respect to running or just being outside. I love hearing my breath, my footfalls, the river, the wind, people chattering in the distance... I find it so meditative. Plus I don't feel safe with headphones. And they hurt my ears. Maybe if I were TM running I'd want some power jams, but not outside.

But when i used to use the elliptical machine or bike or whatever at the gym, I found that I liked "Heya" by Outkast to get me motivated, but that "3X5" by John Mayer had a reallllly great rhythm for my pace. "Butterfly" by Crazy Town always pumps me up, too. And "Mysterious Ways" by U2. I decided a long time ago that if I ever had to strip for money, that last one would be MY SONG. And I would ROCK IT.

Still loving school. I'm hosting a little review session tomorrow about free-body diagrams and other general statics concepts since I am the lone EngiNerd in my class. The kinesiology kids probably did a lot of them, but all the Bio kids are like "helllllllp!" I hope I don't screw them up even more!

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#136 of 936 Old 10-04-2007, 07:51 AM

Only when I run by myself do I listen to music. But I put it in one ear and leave the other ear empty.

Gah...I am so frustrated with my dd. I get home last night from work and apparently she tested dh so badly! At one point he told her not to touch ds (God only knows what she was doing before he told her that), and she apparently very purposefully and slowly poked him. This morning, ds and I were still asleep and suddenly I hear screaming and yellling (from her). When I find out what it's about? Dh had drawn her a fairy, but didn't want to cut it out. So she threw the mother of all temper tantrums. I think she is testing her limits with dh since he can't do anything physically. But what is confusing to me is that he never used physical force in disciplining her before...so what gives?
#137 of 936 Old 10-04-2007, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
Racing keeps me going, I swear. I wish I could run for running's sake, but I need to have a goal. Must be my personality.
Racing keeps me going as well. I love training for races and gives me reason to push my body further and harder. Otherwise, I know that I wouldn't do nearly as much as I do now. I love the results, I love seeing how I do compare to other people my age, all of the other women, etc. Gives me the motivation to really work hard to do better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by towsonmama View Post
It's official! I'm registered for the Gwynns Falls 6K on Oct. 28! My first real race!
Cool!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs_BK View Post
And "Mysterious Ways" by U2. I decided a long time ago that if I ever had to strip for money, that last one would be MY SONG. And I would ROCK IT.

I don't run to music either. I've done it for super short runs on very well-known roads but that is it. I don't feel safe and the MP3 player becomes super annoying to me. I used it once on a 3-miler and I hated it by the end. But, I would still love a Dingo CD because I could listen to it in the car on the way to races or use it if I start running on a treadmill this winter. One song for me would be No Doubt, I'm Just A Girl. Not sure about my other song yet.

Going to run 7 today after work. GF was going to run with me this morning but decided not to. She didn't want to be rushed to get to work on time. The most I've ran is 6, so this is a big day!

coffee-drinking caffix.gifsocial worker in HIV/AIDS ribbonred.giflady-loving ribbonrainbow.gifbike-riding bikenew.gifmom of two twins.gif
#138 of 936 Old 10-04-2007, 09:37 AM

Have just a few seconds while I'm using free internet access at my conference. I miss you all terribly, but don't have my computer with me.

Balancin1 or RM - call me for sure. I'm not sure how much I'll be able to check email!

Haven't run in a week and a half, but am planning to gut out a 5K on Sat associated with the conference. That should be interesting, no?
#139 of 936 Old 10-04-2007, 10:15 AM

I woke up at 3:00am with the sorest most swollen boob ever. Apparently I have mastitis, but I have no idea how it happened. We didn't go anywhere yesterday, and Reagan nursed fine just like she always does. I even pumped 8oz for the milk bank in addition to nursing her all day. My breasts were pretty empty last night when we went to bed. Anyway, I felt like CRAP this morning....all achey and feverish. I want to die. I have to function today. The kids and I have a big geography fair to go to tomorrow, and our project is only about half way finished....and we have piano lessons this morning.

I wonder if stress alone is enough to cause a case of mastitis. I have been going like crazy since last week. I need a relaxing weekend for sure.

Hope you ladies have a better day today than I am having!
#140 of 936 Old 10-04-2007, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

P_of_7 - hope you feel better soon!

Can anyone direct me to some sort of plan to tone and trim arms? i'm unhappy with my upper arms and want to start doing some work on them.

ab workout is done for today. i have my running stuff and am looking forward to trying to do a tempo run this afternoon to break up the stress of this month.
#141 of 936 Old 10-04-2007, 10:43 AM

Morning ladies!

I think we are working on a 2 disc set with our song list. I am hoping to start downloading today.

PO7 - Oh no! I hope you feel better soon.

DrJen - Good luck at your 5k!

B1 - Glad you found us over here. The months sure do zoom by don't they?

#142 of 936 Old 10-04-2007, 10:46 AM

Can I add World Falls by Indigo Girls to the CD list?

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#143 of 936 Old 10-04-2007, 10:50 AM

:

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#144 of 936 Old 10-04-2007, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs_BK View Post
I'm hosting a little review session tomorrow about free-body diagrams and other general statics concepts since I am the lone EngiNerd in my class.
Aaaaaaaaccccckkkkkk!!!!!!!! FLASHBACK to soph year college We had the most wicked instructor for statics. He was Indian or something (his accent sounded Indian) and he cut zero slack. He would say "on exam, you don't draw free body diagram, you lose 10 points!" He also had this approach to solving problems where he would say "you see a dog and you think is it chiuaua or german shepard". I spent weeks trying to figure out what dogs had to do with statics. After I talked with someone who had the class the term before where it was grapes - concord or green, then I finally got it. That class along with second sem calc were the two big weeders for engineering.

Thanks for that, Meg!
#145 of 936 Old 10-04-2007, 12:44 PM

ack. I had a long post typed out this morning that apparently got eaten.

TMI Alert, description of graphic injury follows:

The gist of it my eaten post was yesterday my fingers got caught in the coffee grinder. : I now realize there are better ways of getting coffee into my system than directly through my fingers. After x-rays and an agonizing time having coffee dug out of my fingers, I am feeling very lucky that I only hit the bone, and didn't break it.

On other fronts...reading along but not getting any time to run. I think I need to think about a dreaded Treadmill....

Typing is slow (one handed), so that is all I have time for, but I'm thinking about all of you and I'd love to participate in the song thing. I'll have to think which song, but I'm really liking running to Pink these days.

Oh and I bribe my kids daily to take a bath with popsicles. It buys me a few minutes of relative peace and quiet, they are homemade juice pops, and the mess is contained. :
#146 of 936 Old 10-04-2007, 01:03 PM

Oh my Aguacates! That sounds horrible! I'm glad you only needed stitches!

I'm following along but still no RR to report. I've been dogged by a cold for the last two weeks now. I think it is just a matter of not getting quite enough sleep and having dd1 bringing all the back-to-school germs through. But I'm ready to stop sniffling and coughing!
A good friend of ours just got back to town and has offered to babysit at the track so I can get some running in. I figure I'll probably start running for time until I feel like I'm a little bit more back together so that should work. This woman is my role model for sure. She's about to turn 73 and is planning on doing a sprint tri next summer. She has always been very active, she was a Nat'l champ swimmer back in the 50's I think and still teaches swimming and water aerobics. I'm thinking that it would be worth figuring out how to fit in a trip to New England next summer just to do the tri with her. There are pictures of her and Ali G on the blog.

I think having a dingo cd (or 2) will be really fun. I wouldn't necessarily listen to some of the songs normally but knowing who has requested them will make all the difference, it will be like having a running date with each of you!

Okay, time for Ali's sunbath, the doc thinks she's still a little jaundiced so she gets her nudie time about now each morning.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#147 of 936 Old 10-04-2007, 01:04 PM

Po7 - Meant to say, I hope you can get some abx to take care of that mastitis! It sounds like it's gone beyond the cabbage leaf point.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#148 of 936 Old 10-04-2007, 01:05 PM

Good grief Aguacates! I hope it heals quickly, and I'm so happy it wasn't anything worse.

#149 of 936 Old 10-04-2007, 01:13 PM

Cringe. Aguacates

po&~ I hope you feel better soon!

I don't get the free body diagram vand grape/dog connection. :
#150 of 936 Old 10-04-2007, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
I don't get the free body diagram vand grape/dog connection. :
I read it to mean they were connected because they were both things this teacher did.

I think i get the idea behind the "you see a dog and you instantly think..." and sadly I thought to myself, that's a really useful way to put it.:

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page