It's November! Fall back into running with the Dingoes! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-03-2007, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yep-12 miles and we did it pretty quickly for us. I severely underdressed for the weather and was freezing for most of it and I'm still chilly. I can't believe I can actually run for 12 miles and that I'm ready to do a half marathon. you ladies are the best inspiration and cheerleaders around.

to Zenia (sorry I'm a bit late on that one ) and babygrant. Can't wait to hear about your runs.

Eksmom, I'm sorry about your Hannah. Does EK understand?

Towsonmama-Good for you getting that run done.

MBelle-It was fun, wasn't it? I'm glad you found a sitter for tonight. Have fun!

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2007, 02:33 PM

check out butterfly dd
Old 11-03-2007, 03:16 PM

i'm back!

here is a pic of me leaving at a very early hour for the race...it was a chilly 35 degrees out. brrrr! the artwork on my back says 'monica steward 1966-1996 and the angel is holding a snowboard. she was one of the four founders of bonfire, where i used to work and where my husband and i met. she was diagnosed at the age of 26. you can read about her here. unfortunately i never met her, but my husband knew her well and loved her.

the race itself was...not so great. i am not a competitive person but oh. my. the walkers in the front of the pack! seriously. it took me forever to actually be able to break into a run. i think i hit running stride right around mile 1.

this, of course, is not necessarily the fault of the masses who turn out to take a nice walk for a good cause and in memory of so many loved ones. the race organizers failed, big time. they had throngs of people funneling through narrow streets at the start! i positioned myself where i belong in the 10+ min mile and i felt like there were enough people around me looking like they were there to run. i did see plenty of people in jeans, sweaters and with purses to know i was in 'the mix' of run/walkers but i didn't mind. until the race actually started and it seemed like nobody was running. oy.

i have no idea when i crossed the start [isn't there usually a clock there?] but i crossed the finish at 50.13. i would not be surprised if it took me a good 10 minutes to cross the start.

well, i felt good! my hip hurts now but i've got ice and ibuprofen in my near future. i'll be ready for the turkey trot which is a much smaller race.

ETA: 12 miles ladies???

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

Old 11-03-2007, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by towsonmama View Post
monikita~(insert Mission Impossible music here) Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to come up with a Dingo Thanksgiving mantra. We are putting our Dingo sisterhood vibrations in your hands. :
I'm on it!

I spent 3 hours this morning cleaning out the little room in the basement we call "the hole". The name about sums it up... It was so gross. (Bugs, spiders, cobwebs, mice poop.) But it is awesome now, and DH is in a super good mood because he is SO happy I did it. (He complains about that room all. the. time.) It was quite a workout with all the box lifting, stacking, un-stacking, re-stacking, etc. and I'm sore and tired now, with several bruises and scrapes added to the mix.

The coolest thing is that I found one of the ways mice have been getting in, and DH got it all closed up! The first winter we lived here we caught and killed about 35 mice. : Our mice situation is so much better now, but we still catch the occasional little intruder. Hopefully closing up the spot I found will be the end of it completely.

I'm finally having my coffee and am back to not wanting to move, so I plan on knitting some and possibly taking a nap.

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
Old 11-03-2007, 05:10 PM

WTG Poppy!!! That is awesome I love your shirt

MB and HBM - I was thinking of yall running this morning, figuring yall were doing a long run!

RR: I did 14 this am (well, 12 w/ the running group, then a very slow 2 more on my own) but that is the farthest I've run yet

DrJen - if you read this, can you tell me where you got the Carb-boom? (it was one of the gels in your secret sprinter package, and I took it today on my run and it was GOOD! very fruity and actually yummy... must get more...)

I watched the marathon trials online before going to run and OMG, they are so fast, Ryan Hall looked so effortless, but did yall hear that one of the guys died after 30 minutes into the race? it is so sad, he was so young (he was the guy in the ads in RW that show him running and say "the workhorse")

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
Old 11-03-2007, 05:12 PM

Callie-14? Wow!

Old 11-03-2007, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygrant View Post
Anyone an extreme rookie to running? : I did two weeks of the C25K program a few months ago and loved it, but the I quit and I want to start up again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonikitaUT View Post
in honor of Moonshine seeing Heath Ledger, I watched the beginning of A Knight's Tale.
one of my all time favorite movies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicocj View Post
I watched the marathon trials online before going to run and OMG, they are so fast, Ryan Hall looked so effortless, but did yall hear that one of the guys died after 30 minutes into the race? it is so sad, he was so young (he was the guy in the ads in RW that show him running and say "the workhorse")
the trials were AMAZING. the course was 5 times around central park, so if you were on one of the transverses, you could see the runners as many as 10 times. it was serious audience participation with spectators sprinting across the park every 15 minutes.

it was very obvious that something had gone wrong early in the race - three lennox hill ambulances went tearing up the course itself. i heard that they were doing cpr on someone, but didn't hear that ryan shay had died until i got home and my parents had the news on. he just got married in july.

ryan hall's breakaway was outstanding. we saw him, still in the pack of 5 on the west side, and ran over to the east side. then when the pace truck comes around, it is just him!!!! the crowd gasped and cheered as he went by, then WAITED. he got more than a minute ahead in about three miles. absolutely amazing. after the last loop, i went a little farther down to the grandstands, where they had a jumbotron of ryan hall. he was so pumped!

i got some great pictures, which i'll upload to flickr when i get back from my run.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:24 PM

kate~mom - You were there?! Lucky dog!!

I read about Ryan Shay on CNN this morning. So sad!

12 and 14 milers! Wow gals!

babygrant ~ Welcome! Jump back on the C25K. I'm on week 6.

Monica ~ I hope you have a peaceful afternoon. I found my cat in the kitchen this afternoon with a mouse in his mouth. He took it back down to the basement, so I should probably go make sure it's dead now. That's 2 so far. At least my kitties get them though.

I just got back from 1 mile run, 3 minute walk, 1 mile run. I'm actually feeling pretty good. I'm going to lift legs in just a bit. I heard it's supposed to snow here on Tuesday! I don't know if I'm ready for winter running just yet.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Old 11-03-2007, 10:11 PM

Hello Dingos

Hubby took the kids to see a movie. I am alone at home!

I ran 3 again this morning and I am so excited to be running again!

I am enjoying it so much more this time.

Just wanted to post my progress I lurk quite a bit and love reading all your posts.

Take Care,

Ann
Old 11-04-2007, 01:25 AM

olympic trials pictures are up on my flickr page - as are the halloween pics, finally!
Old 11-04-2007, 01:25 AM

So sad about Ryan Shay. I've been reading about him for years and was just shocked to hear he'd died. I'm so excited for Ryan Hall though! That guy hasn't even tapped his potential yet, I don't think. It should be an exciting Olympics.

My dh took the 2 middle kids and friends to ISU to see the Mythbusters. I stayed home with the little one to go to a birthday party. When the girlie went to bed, I decided to cook up a surprise for dh. So I picked up our bedroom, changed the sheets, lit a bunch of candles and sprinkled rose petals on the bed. He should be home soon and hopefully the kids didn't drive him too nuts on the drive!

I haven't run in a week. I've been busy with work and had a migraine, but I should get out there tomorrow. I was hoping to run a 10K tomorrow, but I decided to bail since Balancin1 can't come. I was going to have oldest ds come from college to babysit, but don't want to make him just to run alone. He has 2 weeks until finals, anyway. I bought stuff for his traditional finals care package today and will put that together this week for dh to drop off to him. Can't wait to have him home for a bit again, but he isn't going to stay very long this time because he's going to work during break this year. Sigh. I can't believe he's gotten so old.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:51 AM

You go DrJen!!!!!! Woot woot!!!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 11-04-2007, 02:05 PM

Well I didn't expect to be serial posting!
I feel bad that I've been so lame on the personals, I've been multi-quoting and everything but I'm home alone now with Ali g until Tuesday and she doesn't seem to enjoy it when I type so, I haven't been. But I"m thinking of you all and have been very impressed at the mileage that's been reported!

you ladies!

Old 11-04-2007, 05:46 PM

one of the women i will be running the jfk50 with just finished the marathon in 3:55
Old 11-04-2007, 07:51 PM

: I just got a call from DD1's teacher. It's off-topic here but I posted in The Childhood Years if anyone has time to offer suggestions. (The thread title is "Shyness.")

kate~mom: Your Hermione is adorable. It's nice to see another girl wizard among all the Harry Potters out there.

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

Old 11-04-2007, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Hello from lame-o dingo land. Feeling that way, since the only activity I've done in the past 2+ weeks was 10 minutes on the rowing machine. Pbbbbt! Oh well. I will reclaim some semblance of life somehow, someday.

Took an amazing nap this afternoon. I think I may survive this week. I have not yet, however, studied for any of my tests (three of them) this next week. I feel very fatalistic about such things right now. Oh well.

We came up to my parents' after church -- hence the good nap in my old bedroom -- so I think we're just going to stay through dinner and hope that Nevie crashes hard on the way home.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by towsonmama View Post
: I just got a call from DD1's teacher. It's off-topic here but I posted in The Childhood Years if anyone has time to offer suggestions. (The thread title is "Shyness.")
I'll let most of the conversation happen on the Shyness thread. I'd like to just say that I find things go better if you treat the teacher as part of the team, not "going on the offensive" to say that you don't like her characterization of your child.

Our PTC is on Wednesday, and DH and I expect to talk about social issues only -- we want to help DD cope with the reality of school despite the fact that she is easily overwhelmed by lots of people and activity. DH and I have both been there.

45 minutes on the treadmill listening to HP3.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:32 AM

What a wonderful weekend! DH and the kids and I just had so much fun, doing nothing really in particular, but it was great! Tonight we listened to all of DH's old disco music (he's 44, so he grew up right in the middle of it!) and the kids were dancing like crazy while we took all kinds of video. I just love nights like this.

Yesterday while DS was at swimming lessons, I tried out the eliptical trainer at the Y. It hurt a little, but not really badly, and I managed 30 minutes. It's nice to have an alternative to swimming until my knee is better.

And turning off the TV has made a dramatic difference in my DDs behavior. I swear, it's like I have a new child who plays, and laughs and doesn't fuss nearly as much as she was before. Only 4 days without TV and it's made all the difference . She really gets drawn into the "entertain me" mode of television and it's awful to pry her away. I'm so glad I've turned it off.

towsonmama, I will go check out your thread now

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 11-05-2007, 12:43 AM

another weekend running report full of woe for me. nothing *terrible, no injuries, but nothing particularly fulfilling either. i am actually looking forwarrd to regular marathon training in mid-december. :

ds (age 2) can do a somersault. i helped him get his legs over the first time this morning, and after that, he had it down pat. dd (age 6) is adamantly against anything that requires being upside down. ds to dd, "he-ah, emma, put your haynds on flaw, and your hay-d down." she was not convinced.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Our PTC is on Wednesday, and DH and I expect to talk about social issues only -- we want to help DD cope with the reality of school despite the fact that she is easily overwhelmed by lots of people and activity. DH and I have both been there.
Once again, Karen = Livi.

I'll be hopping on the TM in just a minute to continue watching A Knight's Tale where I left off (I ran outside yesterday). And I already lifted for chest today. (Perk up the little ladies a bit. )

KR: I'm so bummed. I am knitting a second Karma Cap (first one was for DH, this one is for my brother) and I am 3 rows away from the decreases... and I ran out of yarn. Why is it whenever I try to use up yarn leftovers I run out before the second project is complete? I really thought this one would be okay. Even the yarn shop lady said I would "probably" have enough to make 2 hats. So I'm off to buy another skein tomorrow. Sigh. Maybe I'll make him some fingerless gloves to match the hat.. (and then watch, I'll run out of yarn again when I'm almost done with the second glove.)

Old 11-05-2007, 02:03 AM

I just got back from my run. My DH went with me and we ran at the local track. It was really nice and I even made it longer than I thought. I'm done with week 6 of c25k!

Plady - Thinking of you and Ali G. Hope you are taking good care of each other.

ModMom - Did you enjoy the alone time?

JayGee - Your weekend sounds wonderful!

Megs -

Towsonmama - Heading to your thread.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Old 11-05-2007, 03:27 AM

Hey -- another dingo slug here. Haven't run but once or twice since the half marathon in Sept. Just no time or motivation to find the time. My mom's surgery was Friday so I thought I'd post an update.

The surgery took forever -- well, not really but they started late (almost 1:00 pm instead of noon) and it took 3 hours plus about 20 min for closing. But then, it took another 2.5 or 3 hr for my mom to be brought up to her room from recovery. The anesthesia really stayed with my mom and then they had trouble controlling the pain which made her blood pressure go up. Anyway, she finally got to her room. She's improved each day but it's tough. They said her surgery is the worst they see on this floor -- they found cancer outside the uterus so they had to take quite a bit of other stuff (the omentum, appendix, the pelvic lining on one side, along with uterus, ovaries, tubes, cervix, some lymph nodes). They also found that the cancer had made her bladder adhere to the abdominal wall which is not the way it should be so that had to pry it loose.

While it wasn't ideal that the cancer was outside the uterus, they were able to get all of the visible tumors -- there wasn't any that had gotten on or into organs that couldn't be removed. She'll start chemo in 2-3 weeks. At this point it looks like it will be treatments every 3 weeks with a total of 6 or 7 treatments. My SIL's father is an oncologist and did research on the same drugs that they will likely use. He said that the fact that they could remove all the visible growths is really good and that the remaining cells that are likely in her system should respond very well to the chemo. We think she'll get to go home on Tuesday.

So I'm here at the hospital at almost 11:30 pm which is why you're seeing a late night post from me - very unusual normally. But, I'm going to head home when I finish this cus my mom is finally sleeping well.

good night, dingos
Old 11-05-2007, 03:51 AM

Schatz - : I hope your mother recovers quickly and the chemo knocks out every last trace of the cancer. Hang in there, sister.

~~~

I just realized I've run 6 days in a row.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:39 AM

Oh Schatz, I'm thinking og you and your mama. How are you holding up?

I'm going to try a short stroller run this morning, but it's cold and Jojo is STILL sick. : I'm not sure it's the best idea to run with her today. I have to miss choir again also b/c she can't go in the nursery.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:27 AM

Jenlove- The quiet time was awesome--there was a time when I could not enjoy time alone if it ment the family was off somewhere else.

I had another 3 mile run Sunday, it felt great. I am so excited about gettimg back into it. I have to be careful to not get discouraged about the limited amount of time I have to run.

I hope everyone has a good Monday and a great week. I am loving that it is light earlier in the morning, it really helps with getting the girls off to school.

Take Care and God Bless,

Ann
Old 11-05-2007, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
schatz - thinking of you and your family
Old 11-05-2007, 12:27 PM

shatz Lots of restful and healing vibes to your mom.

We had our second visit to urgent care for dd...8 stitches.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:37 PM

Schatz - Sending healing vibes for you and your mom.

BBM - Oh no! Sending healing vibes for you two as well. What happened?

Monica - Nice going! 6 days in a row! You're so back!

JenLove - How are your cheerleaders doing?

ALi G and I had a nice day yesterday. We went out to the country place with some friends and hung out. I got a skinny dip in (well, skinny doesn't quite convey the image but that's okay ) The water was just so cold that if I'd put on a bathing suit I would never have gotten in, iykwim! Onr friend brought her Boston terrier who has been a trifle messed up in the head since he ate a poisonous mushroom as a pup. Well, he attacked a donkey and nearly got himself killed. To her credit the donkey only tried to really pound him after he'd leapt at her face a few times and then gone to bite her ankles half a dozen times. But I swear it's a miracle he didn't get hurt, she definitely stomped on his back three times! Oh the drama!
Ali G and I have really been enjoying our alone time. She hadn't really had my full focus except in the hospital and I think she likes it, she has been smiling a lot!

Well, I've got an appt with the dermatologist to check my freckles, keeping my fingers crossed that that's all any of them are!

Old 11-05-2007, 12:47 PM

She was goofing around in the living room doing back rolls and somehow her leg hit the knob on the entertainment center (totally rounded - so no clue how it's a "v" shape). She's all good now, just frightening at the time.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:43 PM

I've been slacking on the personals as well. Sorry my dingo mama friends.

Plady~ Isn't it neat to get some with the baby alone? It's rare around here, but I manage. I try to be very deliberate about my one-on-one time with the baby. It sounds like you had a great time. I'm envious.

bbm~ That sure sounds traumatic. I hope she is doing better today.

MonikitaUT~ Awesome job mama on your six in a row! Don't forget to rest. I'm trying to be more consistent with my runs around here. I'm going to shoot for 5 in a row this week.

HomeBirthMommy~ I hope jojo is feeling better today.

schatz~ Lots of healing vibes coming your way.

JenLove~

JayGee~ I know it's hard to deal with an injury when you really want to run. Oh...my kids are NUTZ with the TV. We have a rule at our house that it doesn't come on until after 6:00pm...and only after schoolwork is finished and things are cleaned up. When the TV is on they forget how to pay attention.

I'm hoping for a lunch time run today. I have been just trying to get 3 miles in per day. My little sis and I might do a turkey trot together....she won her age group last year.

User Tag List