It's November! Fall back into running with the Dingoes! - Page 36 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-02-2007, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I freely admit that I am being conditioned (eh, brainwashed, whatever) by my faculty, but... well, I'm skeptical of an Ortho clinic that works in conjunction with a running shoe store. There is so much potential for money to exchange hands and over-prescription of things like orthotics in that scenario. I have a hard time seeing how a person could get a very unbiased, disinterested diagnosis and treatment plan in that situation. AND, if that PT was working for a Doctor, who also owned the running store? Whole 'nuther can of worms. That's looked down upon pretty badly within the PT community.

Anyway, I don't have personal experience with orthotics and I obviously don't know enough to give an educated opinion. It did happen to come up a little bit in class the other day. My Prof casually mentioned that he thinks they're kind of a last resort treatment option. Like, the person has really flat feet, but they're doggedly determined to run that marathon, so you give them some orthotics so that maybe their knees will survive the endeavor. I don't think he would consider them necessary for tendonitis. Rest, heat, ultrasound... try to heal the inflammation and gradually work back up to a desired level of function and activity.

If the pain is on the outside of your ankle, Peroneal makes sense. You have two "peroneal" (now commonly called Fibularis) muscles that run down the outside of your leg and help you pull your foot up and out (aka dorsiflex and evert). The only other "p" word that really comes to mind is Plantar fasciitis, but that would be on the bottom of your foot -- right on your heel.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2007, 02:22 AM - Thread Starter

Oh! And I ran in the snow (while it was snowing--lovely!) today. Only 28:33, but that's just where I ended up on my loop, so... well, there you go. I should probably be run/walking to ease back in with my darn knee, but... oh well. I think I'm going to like those Pearl Izumis fairly well. I just wish my right foot wasn't so darn floppy and hard to manage.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:43 AM

If anyone has some good vibes they'd like to send this way, I could definitely use them!! I'm heading out tmw for the job interview in VA and feeling pretty nervous... It has been FOREVER since I've done this. And this will be the longest I've ever been away from DD

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
Old 12-02-2007, 11:34 AM

megs~Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I was hoping you'd have input but I didn't want to put any pressure on you. The orthotics just doesn't sit right with me. I feel like I'm still pretty young and don't want to be saddled with that crutch already, yk? Do you think I should make an appt. with a different, neutral PT for treatment?

callie~Sending major vibes your way. You're smart, capable, friendly, dedicated--all of which make wonderful attributes for a job candidate. Rock that interview!

poppy~Go on with your training program next to your TM! You CAN do it. Once my ankle heals I'll try to join you. (But will be many months behind.)

monica~Here's the nog recipe: 1qt. eggnog, 8 oz whiskey, 8oz rum, 2 oz brandy
It's my FIL's recipe and I think it needs something but I usually only drink wine so I have no idea what to add or change. FWIW, I have to admit it's better with real eggnog because the Silk was a little thin.

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

Old 12-02-2007, 12:02 PM

so craft show #1 went really well. i sold a LOT of stuff. it surprises me because there were a couple of other people selling bath & body stuff, one had soaps that were $1 cheaper and the other seemed more professionally packaged. it was a craft show that was geared for indie crafters and there was loads of really cool stuff. I couldn't walk around because I would have spent a ton of money and I need it to pay the credit card bill.

the only downside about selling so much is that now I have a bunch of work to do to make more for the show next weekend.

loftmama - i don't ski NH often, but I have been to Loon Mtn and it was fun. take it easy driving in the snow!

i'm recovering from standing all day yesterday and later i'm taking ds up to the mountain to meet dh. dh is going to take him snowboarding and i'll head up for a few runs. It's exciting to me that dh wants to help ds snowboard, i felt like i was the only one who put the effort into teaching him to ride a bike.

i hope some of that snow is coming our way.

holiday update - so i decided that i wasn't going to let the whole dog thing ruin our christmas. it is what it is and i'm not going to sit around feeling sorry or excluded or unloved or anything. yesterday my dad called to see if they found another place for the dog, if we would stay with them. if nothing else, i appreciate the thought.

time for more tea. talk to you later ladies.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:03 PM

Congrats to eks!

COngrats to 2BBs (if you're reading)!

Great running to you who have run!

The snowstorm kept me home instead of running the 5k yesterday. So I made 3 kinds of biscotti instead. Choc with cashews, anise with orange and choc, and choc almond. I still want to make some chai spice and some peppermint stick...but I have no candy canes and don't want to brave the roads for something I should not be eating. Might make the chai biscotti today to take to work tomorrow. I found a nice basic recipe, 2C flour, 1 tsp baking powder, dash of salt...3 eggs and 3/4 C sugar, blended, then mix the two things together. Add spices/flavors as appropriate, then bake in the usual biscotti way (350). I could spend a whole day making the stuff.

Going to run on the TM later today, and maybe make a snowman. But now I am making bread. Barley bread is in, rye is next, and then wheat-and-flax.

GOOD LUCK CALLIE!
Old 12-02-2007, 01:28 PM

glad to hear the craft show went well mandy. i'm guessing you had more creative 'flavors' which would make me spend 1dollar more for sure. how was your display-did you use your bunting? if you have any leftovers from the next show will you post here to let us know? i may need to purchase for xmas gifts

monica - we've probably been in the lift line together at some point - wouldn't that be weird?

jooj - what is 'bake in the usual biscotti way?' i may try to make some for a party i am going to tomorrow -i need to bring an appetizer or dessert. sounds yummy!
ETA: nevermind, i googled it and now i know how to bake it!

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

Old 12-02-2007, 03:08 PM

Ummmm....where is the December thread?!

I guess I could start it myself, but since I only feel like half a dingo these days, I'm a little shy!

I'm massively behind, but I take it that the ultrasound went OK for you Eksmom, and congrats on your sweet BOY!!!

We got totally gypped on this last snowstorm and it was all rain, at least here in town. I guess the ski area got some, tho' I don't think it was as much as they had hoped for. Taos isn't opening until Dec 14th this year, because it's been too warm to even make snow. And Monica, I'm going to give ski lessons a try this year (and I'm way way older than you!). That is, if my hip allows. I've done some downhill, but have never been very good, and I'd like to be able to ski with ds this year.

My hip.... sigh... the saga continues. I put it out again last week doing triangle pose and externally rotating my right hip - clunk. : Now I'm working with a great massage therapist to calm down the psoas and adductor muscles, so that they don't pull the hip out again. Both she and my chiro are optimistic that this conservative treatment will work, but it's going to be a long long time before I can do "real" exercise. And if it doesn't work, I'll have to go the ortho route, which likely means hip surgery.

Towsonmama, I'm like Meg, I'm suspicious of anyone who recommends orthotics from the start. They help some people, but I know too many people who say they make the problem worse.

Jo, I'm in awe of all that baking!
Old 12-02-2007, 04:50 PM

Hey guys, if someone (my mom) wanted to give you an online gift certificate for knitting stuff, where would you request it from? Need ideas today if possible!

Hoping to run a bit this evening, have lots of housework to catch up on, too, though.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Mmmmmmmmmmm - biscotti! Please give more details on your recipe!!

We are hearing conflicting reports on what kind of storm we are going to get - either a ton of rain or a huge dump of snow, closing the roads and schools. I am not sure which I would prefer

How is it taht my calendar is pretty clear except for school assignments and a couple of knitting/quilting consignment projects that are all under control, but I feel like I am being run off my feet???? I am the mommy/wife chauffeur big time this weekend. I don't like it!
Old 12-02-2007, 05:43 PM

I went to Aldi today (thanks for that tip, I can't remember which Dingo wrote about it last week.) As I was paying I mentioned something to my mom about preferring homemade Chex mix to the pre-made bagged stuff and the cashier said "You can make that at home?" She was seriously shocked. Is it just me? I grew up with the homemade kind, especially this time of year. It's baking in the oven now and it smells so yummy. I add tons of worcestershire sauce.

Does anyone else make homemade chex mix? I swear that cashier looked at me like I had three heads!

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

Old 12-02-2007, 06:20 PM

DrJen, what about Kaleidoscope Yarns or Webs?

ETA: Towsonmama, my mom makes homemade Chex mix (she calls it TV mix) every Christmas. I like it better too. She always worries about the Worcestershire sauce getting on the Cheerios and burning them, but I like 'em. She makes it in a big foil roasting pan.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

Old 12-02-2007, 06:31 PM

towsonmama - My grandma always made loads of chex mix for the holidays. She also gave my brother some with his gift.... pounds and pounds of it. It is better than the bagged stuff .. especially right out of the oven.

Now I'm hungry.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Old 12-02-2007, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm not the one in the family that does the grocery shopping: I didn't even know you could buy the stuff until my SIL's SIL asked me to get some at the store for her. Dang that stuff was salty.

Janessa and I have the solution for drought: we arrange to meet to run at a certain time and the skies will open up.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:21 PM

December Dingo Thread

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)

User Tag List