It's November! Fall back into running with the Dingoes! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-06-2007, 02:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DoctorJen - I don't think you saw my other post asking you this, but where oh where did you get that Carb Boom that was in one of the Secret Sprinter packages??? I know I can order online but I'm hoping to get at a local running store....

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2007, 03:00 AM

sorry, callie, I forgot to reply! I got it at a local running store, but it's not a chain or anything, called Often Running in Normal, IL. I don't recall if they had lots of it, or what, as they often kind of rotate what they have. You want to look at your local stores? I can check next time I'm near mine if you'd like me to send you some?
Old 11-06-2007, 09:51 AM

I think...but I know by typing this I'll jinx it....that ds is finally sleeping better at night. He slept from 8pm to 2:45 (!!!) and then again until 5:45!!! Woo Hoo And this isn't the first night. For the last week I would have a night like that followed by a rough night (but not as rough as it's been, which was hourly wakenings), and then another good night... Ahhh...to be tired but not so tired that I would sit here staring with a slack jawed, umm, what am I here for?

I hope to run later today when dh gets home from work. Maybe I'll go into the woods for a bit.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:05 AM

Wow-last night was a busy night for posting!

BBM-I hope your sweet babe is turning a corner. :

Ew, ew, ew on Lance and Ashley Olsen. He lost major points with me for being a crappy husband and father. I'd much rather admire the "everyday" folks out there running, yk?

Poppy-that tour sounds CREEPY!

Megan-we're starting to talk night weaning here as well. Jojo would just do one long continuous nursing all night if I let her. And her latch has gotten lazy, so I've been getting blisters.

Jo-I'm so glad to have you back here. I'm sorry about your friend-that always leaves so many questions. It stinks that it's leaving you feeling so conflicted. We miss Reb, too. And on the awesome 5k time!

Schatz-still thinking of your mom and you. I hear you on getting the kids out of the bed. Apparently a year is about my limit on that all night. I'm fine with them coming in in the middle of the night, but we need a little couple time in the evening by ourselves.

doctorjen- here's a little kick to get you out running. : Seriously, isn't it pretty normal to have times when you just don't feel it?

Darsmama. Glad to have you here!

I'm not sure if I'm going to run today or not. I might try after dh gets home this afternoon. I did some crazy dancing with Madeline yesterday and my sides are sore this morning! : I guess I know where I need to work.

Have a great day, y'all!

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
Old 11-06-2007, 12:15 PM

My big job this morning is shoveling out my van. It's my week to do carpool and I can't have the children crawling through the mess.

Had to send in the vaccine exemption to school today. Have to see how that goes down.

I will walk today. It's pretty nice out and I need to get some blood pumping.

Schatz...hope you are doing ok. Hope your mom has a smooth recovery. It is so hard when the body does it's own thing and we have no control over it.

Eks...hope things keep going well with the pregnancy.

Allright...I really like Maks and Mel on Dancing with the Stars. Jenny and Derek are close favorites too. I think Jayne is going home tonight. Yes...this show is my guilty pleasure. I was so mad last week because it didn't record!
Old 11-06-2007, 12:30 PM

Everyone sure is chatty.

I had a good run yesterday. I actually ran a 10:30 mile pushing the jogger. I think there is hope for me yet. Today is my oldest son's b-day! He is 8yrs old today. He is such a sweet young man. He is always so respectful and kind. He's just a good person and he makes me so proud.

Here's some pictures of my sweet guy.

Chilling with dad
Posing for the camera
Recent Picture

He requested homemade hamburgers and fries and chocolate cake for his b-day dinner. This Saturday we are having a big Star Wars Jedi training camp birthday party for him and his friends.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:03 PM

Awww-what a cutie! Happy Birthday to your ds!

Old 11-06-2007, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taosmama View Post
I'm really sick of being a medical and chiropractic conundrum. I "sprinted" a few steps to the lab this am, which brought the ice pick back full force.
Any answers yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
I'm really irritated with DH right now. He came home from his trip at 5:00pm, we had dinner, played, did DS's birthday celebration and at 8:30pm he headed out the door to play indoor soccer. Couldn't he miss tonight? He hasn't seen me in 9 days, he knows I've been sick.
Wow, belated posts here! : for your dh though, hope he made it up to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
My former running self is starting to seem like only a distant memory.
Not to fret, dh assured me that he put the dingo gear in the mail for you yesterday, you don'thave to run, you can just wear them around and look like you're about to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darsmama View Post
Scratch that "Someday I hope to run a 5k" to: Someday I WILL run a 5k
Girl, if you're already running 2 miles you're more than halfway there! Of course you'll be running a 5k!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
On the upside, I ran 5K on the TM in under 29:00 this weekend, a new PR for me.
Congrats on your PR! That's awesome! I'm sorry that you've had such an emotional 'ride' going on. It sounds like you do need an infusion of : and I bet she needs some Jo time too. I hope you guys can get together soon. And will you post some wedding dress pix when you have them? :

Quote:
: It was that way last year, too; I noticed it then and thought the same thing. I can't believe I'm going to take the time to type this on a public forum, but he lost major points in my book when I heard he is dating Ashley Olsen.
You mean that little girl from that show with the messed up twin sister???? OMG. Well, I guess that's no ickier than Fred Thompson, but I'm sorry, I don't want to go there either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by party_of_seven View Post
Today is my oldest son's b-day! He is 8yrs old today. He is such a sweet young man. He is always so respectful and kind. He's just a good person and he makes me so proud.
May the Force be with him! :

BBM - Woot woot for a sleeping baby! With all that sleep deprivation you must have been feeling like some Abu Graib detainee. I pray that it is all behind you!

Today dh and dd1 come home and I have lots to do but AliG is conked out on my lap and I wanted to take advantage of that! She's been such a sweet baby for me, she smiles at me now every time I come into focus (well, except for the times when I need to be scolded soundly for something like putting her in her basket to make dinner and eat!) and she's slept so nicely for me, I feel nearly all caught up.
Okay, I'd better go, I've got to much out dh's truck and get it cleaned for his welcome home treat.
to you all!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 11-06-2007, 01:36 PM

here are a few pics from the tour of carnton last night - [the aforementioned surgical room with stained floor is there but the gore factor is pretty low]

carnton
the lady of the manor
surgical room

i am coming down with a cold : but am still planning on heading out for a run tomorrow...i hope.

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

Old 11-06-2007, 01:42 PM

Update from the orthopedic surgeon: Good news first ~ no surgery needed. I have a partial tear of the medial collateral ligament which actually repairs itself. Bad news is I have significant arthritic changes in my knee due to the previous injuries and all the running. Doctor gave me a cortisone shot (ouch) and suggested strongly that I stop running.... forever. Swimming, biking, elliptical are all fine though. Guess my Dingo days are over along with my marathon and half-Ironman dreams. I tear up just thinking about it.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 11-06-2007, 02:08 PM

jaygee - your dingo days are not over! i hope you can find what you are looking for with the wide range of healthy activities still open to you to eventually ease the marathon/ironman dream loss. taking care of you is most important.

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

Old 11-06-2007, 02:42 PM

DrJen - thanks! I will check out the LRS tonite, that stuff was yummy! like a fruit roll up

BBM - yay for sleeping!

JayGee - that sounds so good on the one hand and so hard on the other. Don't leave the dingos, though!! Maybe after some healing you can start running again!

: Po7 DS!!!

Ran 3.5 this AM, it was so nice to get out early (leaving a sleeping DH and DD) and get it checked off the list... 25 more miles to go til 500!!

Old 11-06-2007, 04:08 PM

drats! i can't possibly catch up. i'm going to try to get in a run today because SNOW is predicted for tomorrow!!! that's why we're here, after all. i kept getting up in the middle of the night last night thinking it would be today. hah!

(lance lost major points in my book when he stopped dating sheryl crow.)

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
Old 11-06-2007, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

JayGee, I'm right there with you. I tore my MCL a few years ago and it was an easy heal (relatively speaking). Other stuff has popped up and I think I'll have to be a cyclist/rower/swimmer now.

UGH. I am in the lobby of our schoolhouse right now. We are in the middle of practical exams right now and there are some done, some still waiting. There is a table of girls and one has taken the test and she is telling the others lots of information. I HATE that. I totally consider that cheating ('cause it is) and it really bothers me. Another girl was kinda pumping me for info in the locker room. It makes me uncomfortable. I finally told her just to look in her textbook for answers.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:45 PM

Guys, I am freaking out and don't know where else to come but here (DH is working the polls all day, and Mom, Dad, and DD are off on a picnic)...

I just talked to my OB's nurse. They did the KB test that checks for fetal blood cells in maternal blood. It is supposed to be 0, mine was 15. They think that I have a small placental abruption. Whether it was caused by the car accident or not we will probably never know, since I was also spotting all along before that. I already had Rhogam the day of the accident, so there is nothing we can really do except repeat the test in 2 weeks and hope it goes down, and they will continue to monitor me closely the rest of the pregnancy. She said it doesn't change anything about my activity level, etc. I am so scared.

If anybody has any reassuring placental abruption stories I would love to hear them. I am in unfamiliar territory here; I need to educate myself if I could stop crying long enough.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

Old 11-06-2007, 04:50 PM

Katherine! I'm sending prayers mama.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 11-06-2007, 05:00 PM

Oh Katherine. I don't have any advice, but I'm saying lots of prayers. Have you posted in the "I'm Pregnant" forum?

Old 11-06-2007, 05:28 PM

Katherine - Sending sticky baby and placenta thoughts your way. I had an small abruption with dd, but it was a different scenario - had a very very low lying placenta that stayed low, and as I started with Braxton Hicks, the edge pulled up. The last month of the pregnancy was very scary and dd was born at 31 1/2 weeks, but is a totally healthy normal feisty 4 1/2 year old.

I'm still waiting on MRI results. Saw the chiro this weekend and my hip was out again. I confessed that I had been doing things I probably shouldn't have been, and she read me the riot act on limiting my activity. No abs, no weight training, and no no no frog kicking, cobblers pose, even "cross-training" if my hips are externally rotated! I did get to the pool this am and did 15 min of aqua jogging and laps with the kickboard. If it feels OK and the MRI results don't preclude it, I'm really going to try to get to the pool on Thursday and Sat as well.

Jo, I need to read back a few pages, but it's so good to see you back here!

BBM - whoohoo on the sleep!!!

Jaygee - glad you don't have to have surgery. Rest and recover. (and eventually I might get a second opinion about the no running ever, but then I'm probably not a good one to take advice from about injuries!)
Old 11-06-2007, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, Eks. I have nothing for you in terms of experience. What love and support and vibes I have are coming at you so strong right now. I wish I could just hold you right now. In my heart, I am.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:47 PM

Kathering

Megs - if your school has an honor code and you feel like what they are saying is in violation of it, then you could consider mentioning it to the instructor, maybe in the context of 'is there anyway the people waiting can be in a different location than the people who have finished?' But even if not, take heart, if they don't know the stuff, it will catch up to them, either on the test or later on....

Old 11-06-2007, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftmama View Post
drats! i can't possibly catch up. i'm going to try to get in a run today because SNOW is predicted for tomorrow!!!
(lance lost major points in my book when he stopped dating sheryl crow.)
I love snow! I lived in Idaho for 7 years, and I was always like a kids at Christmas waiting for the first snowfall. The first thing I did every morning was look outside to see if it had snowed the night before. : I agree about the Sheryl crow thing too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs_BK View Post
UGH. I am in the lobby of our schoolhouse right now. We are in the middle of practical exams right now and there are some done, some still waiting. There is a table of girls and one has taken the test and she is telling the others lots of information. I HATE that. I totally consider that cheating ('cause it is) and it really bothers me.
That's so totally highschool. You would think that adults would be beyond cheating on tests. Good for you for maintaining your integrity.

Quote:
Guys, I am freaking out and don't know where else to come but here
I'm sending some prayers up for you. Hoping that things start looking better. It's so hard being pregnant. You worry about those little ones from the second you get 2 pink lines. Take it easy...pamper yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taosmama View Post
I'm still waiting on MRI results. Saw the chiro this weekend and my hip was out again. I confessed that I had been doing things I probably shouldn't have been, and she read me the riot act on limiting my activity.
I know it's hard to limit your activity when you are normally so active. Tyry to take it easy. I hope you get some good results from your MRI.

I just got my 3 miles finished up. I decided that afterwards the kids and I would do a neighborhood trash pick-up. We found out that some @#$^$@ that likes to drink ****** light thinks the earth is his garbage can. : The woods down the street were full of beer cans...probably teenagers.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:55 PM

oh katherine! s s s where's drjen?

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
Old 11-06-2007, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
Doctor gave me a cortisone shot (ouch) and suggested strongly that I stop running.... forever. Swimming, biking, elliptical are all fine though. Guess my Dingo days are over along with my marathon and half-Ironman dreams. I tear up just thinking about it.
oh jaygee!
i think it's second opinion time!
Old 11-06-2007, 06:38 PM

(((((eks)))))
Old 11-06-2007, 07:16 PM

Quote:

I just talked to my OB's nurse. They did the KB test that checks for fetal blood cells in maternal blood. It is supposed to be 0, mine was 15. They think that I have a small placental abruption. Whether it was caused by the car accident or not we will probably never know, since I was also spotting all along before that. I already had Rhogam the day of the accident, so there is nothing we can really do except repeat the test in 2 weeks and hope it goes down, and they will continue to monitor me closely the rest of the pregnancy. She said it doesn't change anything about my activity level, etc. I am so scared.

If anybody has any reassuring placental abruption stories I would love to hear them. I am in unfamiliar territory here; I need to educate myself if I could stop crying long enough.
Katherine -I had a similar but different story that I will share-I was in a car accident at 26 w with K-ended up starting contractions-was sent to the H-contractions stopped thank goodness. There was fetal maternal mixing as well-but I don't have the numbers, so I have no idea what they were. I was put on hard bedrest for a few days-and light for a few weeks. They never actually figured out if it was true placental abruption or not-or to what degree. That probably didn't help-but just wanted to share that I did have some fetal maternal mixing and things turned out okay.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:24 PM

eksmom I can understand how scared you must be.

Whoa ~ after that cortisone shot my knee swelled up like a balloon and is so painful. Doctor said to stay off it and ice it, but that's virtually impossible with a 6,3, and 1 year old. Plus, DH is on his way home from work with... yes... the stomach virus!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 11-06-2007, 07:30 PM

Kristina, I wanted to say I am so sorry that you were told no more running. I would seek a second opinion for something that carries as much importance as that. And, with the kind of day you are having, I wish I could be there to herd your kids so you could stay off your knee (sorry, I don't think I'm going to volunteer to help your dh with his stomach virus! ). Seriously, I hope things ease up soon and that you get to feeling better.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

Old 11-06-2007, 07:38 PM

Jaygee - I agree on the second opinion that Toas recomended. I've had a cortisone shot in my hip, and I feel ya on that one. It was *so* sore for a couple of days! Just let the kids run wild a bit and try to stay off of it as much as possible.

Eks - I'm praying for you, mama. How many weeks are you now?

Poppy - Creepy cool! I did a Ghost Tour in New Orleans once.. dark and spooky December night, and the stories supposedly true... Add to that a mixed drink of a mysterious nature (they put triple sec in everything down there, along with a combo of assorted other liquors) and we had THE BEST time!

PO7 - Happy B-day to your DS! Thanks for reminding me to rest. We're having trouble adjusting to the time change, and I was wicked tired yesterday so I took a rest day.

Re: Ashley Olsen: At least it wasn't Mary Kate. Although the owner of the company I work for was in rehab with Mary Kate and said she is a very sweet girl. Pffftt...

Survey: If you had to pick between Lance & Matt McConaughey, who would you pick? I say Matt, hands down. But they are both cute. :

Taosmama - DH keeps flirting with the idea of a ski vacation to Taos.. twice now he's asked me "Now who is it that you know down there?" So there is a possibility we'll be heading your way at some point.

Megs - Dirty rotten cheaters. I'd be pissed, too. I'll PM you about meeting in Seattle when it gets a little closer. Hopefully Cheryl Ann will be joining us as well.. (it is something like a 4 hour drive for her, but she's going to try)

Dr. Jen - I suggest some fun running to take the edge off. Something different. Either speed workouts, drive to a pretty place to run, try hitting a trail for some Mandy-type running, etc. And when you get out there, remember to let go. Remember, you're doing this for you! I hope you can get past the hump. I think we've all been there.

RR: I'll be running tonight, possibly with DD in the jogger after I pick her up from school, depending on whether or not she wants to go. I'm also going to lift some weights for either legs or shoulders. Or maybe both.

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
Old 11-06-2007, 07:42 PM

eksmom~

jaygee~You and DH will make quite the parenting pair tonight. Good luck with that!! I agree with what others have said, get a second opinion.

I tried my pilates video again today. I'm about as limber as a tire iron lately. I got so frustrated with video I turned it off and did weights instead. I used to do yoga regularly and could rock that pilates video. Now, exercise time is dominated by running and I don't do any yoga. I think I need to find a way to work it in. It's hard though, isn't it, trying to find time for everything you want to do??

kate~mom~Did you see my post a while back about the 50 miler? I'm seriously wondering about what runners consume during a race that long. The website mentions they'll have soda and sandwiches. I just can't picture that in my head but I guess you need more sustenance than usual.

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

Old 11-06-2007, 07:46 PM

monikita~We x-posted. Matt, hands down here too.

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

User Tag List