working out while kids awake - how? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-06-2007, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I prefer to work out in 2-hour chunks of time daily (30 minutes of cardio, 30 minutes of stretching, rotate: 60 minutes of weights/60 minutes of Pilates and calisthenics).

But one of my 2 kids are always awake when I am (and I want my sleep, cosleeping, nursing toddler). They don't like to go for walks and/or be in a stroller (unless I carried them in arms/no carrier--2 yo is 38 lbs, 5.5 yo is 45 lbs--I can't walk properly doing this).

When I get on the floor, 2 yo is right on top of me nursing.

I need creative ways to get my workout in each day. Like 20-minute segments or something (and how do I keep track of where I was in my workout when I get back to it after each segment?).

If there is already an old thread about this, will you point me to it?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 11-06-2007, 04:49 PM
Banned

i'll think about this a bit. i have some ideas. . .but they need to come together a bit. . .
#3 of 13 Old 11-07-2007, 08:58 AM

Wow, good for you I can barely manage 20 minutes for the same reasons. I recently got a treadmill through freecycle and at least I can now get some cardio in. I set it up in the basement right next to a little table where I let the kids do messy are projects. So far so good - we can all stay entertained while I get a bit of a workout. I am still trying to figure out how to get in 45-60 minutes of yoga at least a couple of times a week. I don't have a nursing toddler but I do have a preschooler always manages to be in the way.

I'll be looking for tips on how to do this too! I'd need to get up by 5am to workout in the morning and so far that hasn't happened - now that it is getting cold - forget about it!
#4 of 13 Old 11-07-2007, 10:27 AM

Well, I workout with my toddler awake and sometimes the baby awake. However, there is no way I could get in 2 hrs a day, not unless I had dh watch the kids. I really would be pushing the limits with Luke being a grumpy nightmare.

As far as exercise goes I wait until the baby goes down for her morning nap and then pop in my tape. I make sure Luke has food and drink and a nice activity set up. Then I start and keep at it. Unless the baby wakes up or Luke is about to harm himself then I don't stop. If the baby wakes up I just get her and bring her in the living room. If she starts to cry then I hold her while I am doing exercises and only put her down if it is something I cannot do with her ie I can hold her and do squats, but put her down in front of me while I do pushups.

With Luke it just has taken a lot of perserverance. I have decided that I will take this time for me and he has figured out that I will be doing this. Sometimes he still yet gets in my way a bit, but mostly he just tries to imitate me or ignore me. It took many, many, many times of me telling him not to climb on me and gently getting him off of me.

I have at times held Luke while doing some exercises to keep him involved. He loves to do pushups as well. Have you tried involving your little ones? Letting them get dressed to workout as well. Cardio would be the easiest to involve them, turn on some music and everyone gets to moving.

Otherwise we just try to stay busy in our everyday life. I do lots of tough physical work outside and bust my butt cleaning inside. Luke loves to follow around and I try to give him jobs to do to help.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#5 of 13 Old 11-07-2007, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pibblestiltskin@ma View Post
Wow, good for you I can barely manage 20 minutes for the same reasons.
The 2 hour workout I described in my OP is what I could do when I was willing to stay up until 12:30 or 1:00 a.m. (and stop to nurse my waking toddler I could hear on the monitor). My 5 yo would stay awake with me though because she doesn't like to miss any awake time, and time with me.

But I'm not willing to give up sleep to work out. And I don't enjoy cleaning my butt off (the house) I have tried cardio videos, my kids will do it for a few minutes and then dd2 wants me to pick her up. Something about mama being focused on something rubs them the wrong way.

Workout equipment I have: recumbent stationary bike, free weights and pulley-system/bench press, backyard I've walked laps in when dd2 is sleeping, real stairs, balance ball, videos (yoga, tai bo, cardio--Florence Griffith Joyner, remember her?). I want to get a belly dancing dvd, love it.

I'm thinking of having a chart of short workout routines (10-minute each?) to hang up. When I sense a free few minutes, I can pick something to do, and check it off when I'm done.

Put it this way, if I could do no exercise and be healthy, fit, toned and strong, I wouldn't exercise. So that's why I need to have a set workout time, or a chart to check off like I mentioned above--I can have something to follow and know that I'm supporting my health.
#6 of 13 Old 11-07-2007, 12:30 PM
Banned

i think that 10 minute blocks would probably be easier than 20 minute blocks. . .but i'm still working on it.
#7 of 13 Old 11-07-2007, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
i think that 10 minute blocks would probably be easier than 20 minute blocks. . .but i'm still working on it.
What about the theory that we need to consistently exercising for 20 (or is it 30) minutes for it to be effective?

Thanks for brainstorming for us :
#8 of 13 Old 11-07-2007, 08:25 PM

Visit www.infantastic.com. They have a great workout for kids and moms to do together. I really like it. Other than that I walk with DD in a carrier or stroller. Oh, and she loves Richard Simmons Sweatin' to the Oldies. The exercise is a little light and it's a classic so might be hard to find, but she loves it for the music.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#9 of 13 Old 12-08-2007, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Update from OP:

I started working out right away in the mornings. It's been 3 weeks now that I've been working out for 1.5 hours a day! It feels great!

This helps a lot:
1) work out right away in the morning before anything else (preferably get up before the kids but that hasn't worked every day)
2) come up with a routine to follow so if I get interrupted, I know exactly where to pick up later.

Here is my routine:

Day One -
  • 30 minutes - brisk walk outside (laps in my backyard)
  • 60 minutes - weight training

Day Two -
  • 30 minutes - Pilates video (Denise Austin) - rotating 3 from the 6 ten-minute workouts
  • 30 minutes - stationary recumbent bike

Day Three -
  • 60 minutes - low-impact aerobic video (Flo Jo/Florence Griffith Joyner, remember her?)

And I do stretching when I remember to do it throughout the day.

If I don't workout before the kids are up, it's harder to do so while they are awake (my 2-year-old doesn't like my doing the videos at all). But it is possible because I watch for open opportunities to do it (when my 2-year-old is occupied w/ something). And it truly does help knowing my routines so I can stop if needed, but know where I left off when I can start back again.

Last night, I ended up doing the last hour of my workout because it didn't fit in earlier in my day. It's a lot harder for me to work out at night I realized. I wanted so back to kick back and watch a movie. But I did it!
#10 of 13 Old 12-10-2007, 03:15 AM

Have you seen this? It looks crazy, and something a juvenile male would think up (it is ) but it's actually remarkably effective, and the 14-minute blocks are really convenient.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#11 of 13 Old 12-13-2007, 07:43 PM

I have 3 little ones and they hate when I try to get exercise in during the day, they hate me taking that time out for myself, yes they are in the selfish age, well the baby cant help it! LOL

anyway over the years the ONLY way I can do it is after they go to bed, they are all in bed by 8pm so I work out 6x a week from 8-9pm, sometimes I have to jump off the treadmill to soothe baby or help someone pee but if its weight training night I do it between sets haha so it works

thats what works for me though, I am NOT a morning person!

~Susan
widowed from Marc Nov. '09(love you more babe) mom to Sophia (9) Emma (8) Lily (5) :

#12 of 13 Old 12-14-2007, 03:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow I am impressed by mamas who manage to exercise while their children are awake! I haven't exercised regularly since my first baby was born and I'm starting to feel bummed about it . My ds is a bottomless pit of wanting attention. I finally imposed "quiet time" on him every afternoon for 40 minutes - time during which I put dd to sleep for her nap and give myself permission to not answer 101 questions and get things for ds every 10 seconds. It hasn't been working very well and I recently started letting him watch videos that I rented from the library (he never had any screen time before he turned 4). Anyway, during "quiet time" I have a long list of tasks like getting dinner started, returning business calls if needed, etc.

I just don't know how to fit working out in. Like right now, it's 10:20 PM. I could work out but the bathrooms are horrific so I was planning to clean them. And my workout options are pretty limited at home .

Hi Amy

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung
#13 of 13 Old 12-15-2007, 03:45 AM

When DD was younger we just worked at it. I would make sure she had toys, snacks, drinks and then start my workout. I ignored her whining, when she climbed on me I removed her and went right back to it. At first I was lucky to get in 10 minutes, but we kept it up and about a month of daily doing it, she got it that that was *my* time and was able to entertain herself for the 30 minutes. When I was done we would read and play together and it was all good.

I really need that time and we had to work out a solution.

Now with the 2 it is different, but mainly because I use nap time to school DD. The kids go to bed at 7:30 and I treadmill then.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page