Breast feeding and weight loss - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 11-25-2007, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought breast feeding was going to help me lose the pp weight, but it hasn't! (so far) I lost a bunch initially but since then I have been stuck at WAY above my pre preg. weight. I am pretty depressed about it, and for some reason that makes me want to eat (mostly junk). I heard that some people start losing weight at the 9 month post preg. mark? Tell me this is true!!!

Leah - Wife to Joshua (April 22nd, 2006) , Mama to Scarlett (April 17th, 2007) and Vera (October 23rd, 2010)
#2 of 16 Old 11-26-2007, 01:16 AM

The weight loss effect of breastfeeding seems to vary from woman to woman. Breastfeeding alone can't do it though. Diet and exercise are still the two most important factors in weight loss. The calorie burning effect of bfing is still unclear, but it could only burn 250 calories a day - which really is not that much. So, while it does help - it is still more important to make sure you are getting adequate exercise and eating a healthy diet. Good luck.
#3 of 16 Old 11-26-2007, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you

Leah - Wife to Joshua (April 22nd, 2006) , Mama to Scarlett (April 17th, 2007) and Vera (October 23rd, 2010)
#4 of 16 Old 11-26-2007, 02:59 AM

I'm constantly STARVING when I'm BFing, so I don't find it to be a good weight loss tool. No advice here, but I can totally sympathize.

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#5 of 16 Old 11-26-2007, 03:54 PM

I(like alot of bf'ing women) didn't lose the weight until after I stopped bf'ing.
#6 of 16 Old 11-26-2007, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post
I(like alot of bf'ing women) didn't lose the weight until after I stopped bf'ing.
Yep, me too. I'm on my third child and even though I know this is how my body works, it's still depressing. Hang in there.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#7 of 16 Old 11-26-2007, 04:33 PM

Don't bank too much on the 9ish month drop. I was really excited about it, but I only lost about 7 extra lbs during that time before plateauing again. Good luck with your weight loss efforts!
#8 of 16 Old 11-26-2007, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I too have heard women lose the weight once they finish bf'ing. It's tough being so heavy but if my body needs it to make milk for my baby than I guess it's ok

#9 of 16 Old 11-27-2007, 04:06 PM

i actually went about my full term pregnancy weight. my sister said it's just your body perparing for a famine, so you can feed your baby should it ever happen.
#10 of 16 Old 11-28-2007, 12:06 AM

I hit a point with each of mine when they were about 18 months where I was even a bit underweight. It was consistent with both of them - I dropped down to about 10 pounds under my "ideal" weight and then gained back up to a healthy weight after a few months. I'm still nursing #2, and tandem nursed, so we'll see how I feel when I wean completely! (Whenever he's ready... )

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#11 of 16 Old 11-28-2007, 12:54 AM

I EP'd so my story is a bit different... I lost a ton of weight at first. I lost 36 lbs within 3 weeks. Then I maintained. At 16 months pp, I weaned one breast due to nipple necrosis and an abcess. (repeated mastitis sucks!) I then began loosing weight again. I pretty much immediatly got preggers again, so I can't say past then. I had an ENORMOUS appetite while lactating. I ate 6 meals a day! But, I had a MASSIVE oversupply, so that may be why I lost weight and was able to eat so much.
#12 of 16 Old 11-28-2007, 06:11 AM

Part of what makes it hard for me to lose weight is that, as others have mentioned, the appetite is incredible.

It's really no wonder I "can't" lose weight when I can sit and eat an entire pizza for one meal.

I'm not GAINING, so that's great, but I can't imagine cutting back on food. I would be so tired.
#13 of 16 Old 12-01-2007, 03:41 AM

I ran into a wonderful problem with my thyroid. my last prenancy cause my thyroid to just quit on me since I gained so much weight......So now I have to "jump start" my metabolisim again in order to lose weight.
I had an incredible appetite while bfing. We are still bfing at 2 and I wont stop her till she wants to.
But the weight is really hard....Makes me sad sometimes too. I have the faith that I will lose it soon enough though. Just gotta stick it out...

Mom to Bouncy Breastfed fly-by-nursing1.gifDD energy.gifLoving Woman to DH, RIP DS Born at 22 weeks  ribbonpb.gif

#14 of 16 Old 12-02-2007, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy View Post
Yep, me too. I'm on my third child and even though I know this is how my body works, it's still depressing. Hang in there.
: This is me exactly. I can't stand this but what can you do?
#15 of 16 Old 12-03-2007, 01:47 PM

I was really hoping that 9 month thing was true! We are at 7 months right now and, while I've lost about 45 pounds so far, I still have about 20 to go! I probably eat too much ice cream and junk, but I walk a lot and my son is gaining like a champ! Seems like even when I do try to cut down, my weight stays the same so no encouragement there... I really hope to lose more with just the breastfeeding and a healthy diet. Who are these women who lose the weight while BFing so easily???

By the way.. how many calories does it actually burn? I have the book 'Smart Medicine for a Healthier child' and it says nursing burns something like a thousand calories a day, other sources say it burns around 250... a more accurate assessment could help some of us stay on track!
#16 of 16 Old 12-03-2007, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

I think I was mislead by my friend who had her baby almost 3 years ago, she could eat whatever she wanted and still lost weight while bf'ing. I thought the same would happen to me She's due with her second babe any day now and barely looks 6 months pregnant so I guess I shouldn't have used her as a good guideline

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page