December Dingos ~ Running Through the Holidays! - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#301 of 855 Old 12-10-2007, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Need some yoga/pilates today! We are going to go bike riding after school for an hour...I might just run along instead of ride. Depends if we are joined by friends or not.

Megs..good luck on your test! I'm so glad I don't do that anymore!

MB..glad you are better!

HBM...Happy Birthday DD1! Glad y'all are on the mend too!

loftmama...hello!

towsonmama...yummy cookkie party! I would probably eat half of them if I made them!

jooj..hugs.

I have a family member who will not own up to the fact that they have a depression problem. Short of dragging them to the Dr, there's not much I can do. That mall thing in Kansas got me worried. Blah...definetly think Yoga is in order tonight.
#302 of 855 Old 12-10-2007, 02:43 PM

Reading along. Still sick. : I did manage to get the kids to school this morning, but came home and promptly fell into bed and stayed there for the next few hours. Still can't lay on my side of the bed because the sheets are still wet from my soaking them through with sweat. So much for that being a sign of health returning, it seems to be some cycle or something.

On the upside, I have absolutely no guilt about watching tv online. I found Remington Steele!
#303 of 855 Old 12-10-2007, 03:40 PM

moonshine~ Ugh, that sounds so awful! I guess it's good that this sickness can't last forever. You've had it so long, it HAS to be on its last leg. Are you staying hydrated? All the sweating sounds like a bad recipe for dehydration.

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#304 of 855 Old 12-10-2007, 04:19 PM

: Sending get well vibes to all those who need it. Seems like lots of dingos and dingo families are struggling with illness right now.

I think I have an illness of a different sort. I cannot stop nesting. I organized a closet that has all my knitting stuff plus EK's arts & crafts supplies. It was a huge mess. Then last night I organized our personal cookbook - a huge binder full of recipes we've collected from here and there or printed from the internet. There were a bunch that we've cut out that needed to be glued to a regular sheet of paper and hole-punched, and we had new dividers and I had to make new tabs and everything. There was also some rearranging that needed to be done to take my going veggie into consideration. We've been trying to finish this project for I don't know how long. I also organized under our bathroom sink and threw out a bunch of old stuff (baby wash travel size bottles that are 4+ yrs old, anyone?). For today - I just finished dusting and straightening our dresser in our bedroom (I rarely dust - brought on by having a new picture of EK that was taken at preschool that I had gone out and bought a frame for, and we planned to set it on our dresser. Could I just put the pic in the frame and put it on the dresser? No, I had to clean and reorganize the entire top surface plus the mirror! The sad thing is that by April when the babe arrives it will be all dusty again.

Went for my blood draw this morning, so hopefully we'll have results in a day or two. I've been much more active in the past week and I am enjoying it.

Po7, it's 70 here today. I kinda like it though. Enjoy looking at lights tonight! Hope R's teeth come on through OK. Your hose makes me .

Geo, so sorry about your MT.

Shanti, I really hope y'all don't have to wait until the end of the week for that paycheck.

Callie, I the : smiley, and I'm having fun checking out all the other new ones. This one is going to come in handy to describe DD: :

Jo, if you are lugging 5 gal buckets of water, that's nearly 40 lbs (a gallon of water weighs 8 lbs). That would definitely be enough to make my arm sore, and probably some other body parts too. to you and feel free to rant away about winter, dh, carbs, or anything else.

Megs, hope your final went well. :

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#305 of 855 Old 12-10-2007, 04:42 PM

I lost our Maya Wrap at an airport. I was really heartbroken over it. By that point, DD2 wasn't in it so much, but I had such an attachment to it. Now when some of you talk about putting older kids in the sling for a while, it always makes me a bit

So I think what I have is the flu. So could go on for a few more days. Must drag myself out of here to get the kids from school.
#306 of 855 Old 12-10-2007, 04:44 PM

I need a kick right here

Mama needs a run.....
#307 of 855 Old 12-10-2007, 05:03 PM

GO Po7!!!! I hereby decree that if any dingoes are healthy and/or not taking care of sick family..... GO RUN FOR THE REST OF US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shanti, had to commiserate....it is so common for us ministers to not be paid on time or have to ask for your check, or even to have to track it down (esp when supply preaching in different churches). It's like we're not really supposed to want to be paid, YK? except, we need to eat too. Hope you get it worked out, I know it's a sensitive area to say the least, to ask for it to be given to you.

must go figure out what we are having for dinner....ugh. [whine] Dh is making up for lost time and is working a ton this week. I know he took a bunch of time off but somehow I just don't feel up to full mom-hood...[/whine]
#308 of 855 Old 12-10-2007, 05:07 PM

writing to report 30 minutes of lap swimming is done. i only feel a little dizzy, but feel good that I got out and got some exercise done.

now back to proofreading.
#309 of 855 Old 12-10-2007, 05:10 PM

:

there's the boot for all who need it!

note to self: don't get cocky with your running mojo. i'm feeling all post-c25k fabulous and just headed out for a 3miler with little/no fuel whatsoever. bonk. i mean seriously, poppy, 2 cups of coffee and a cheese stick? not wise.

eks - you can come nest my house if you get the hankerin'

and why oh why is it 75 degrees in mid december? it so does not feel like xmas around here.

back to grading papers....

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#310 of 855 Old 12-10-2007, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguacates View Post
Good luck! I am envisioning the correct answers coming to you as you need them!
Unfortunately, I think that the lines of transmission were down. That test SUCKED. SUHHHHHHHCKED. I am just praying that I got the required 75% score. I have no idea where the heck that test came from, but it did not seem to reflect the concepts he footstomped in class (and that, therefore, I focused on during my weekend of uber-studying). It feels like crap to feel like I suck soooooo bad. for some reason, this is the professor around whom I feel the most self-conscious, too. Like, I want HIS approval the most, so it's a double bad that I feel like I've shown myself incompetent.

So, now, moving on. My house is a filthy, filthy wreck. I think I will just grab some lunch and then head back to school to study for tomorrow's exam. My house is just making me feel even more inferior and lazy. Yay.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#311 of 855 Old 12-10-2007, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Had a great 2 hour hike this morning. My legs are feeling it now, but it was fun!

I am in total doggie love. We saw a family member's new puppy on the weekend - I can't even spell it - a Lhasapoo or something. I have always been a Golden Retriever lover - but I have to admit that my allergies and asthma improved hugely after our dog died last year. My goal has been to get my immune system to the point where I could handle another Golden - no patience for those little dogs Except that this dog was so sweet and playful and great with my kids - and he didn't knock them over or intimidate them in any way that my heart just melted. I even did the "test" - I spent a fe minutes petting him and letting him lick my hands and then didnt wash my hands right away - and no reaction bursting out all over my skin. I am officially puppy smitten - something else to save for - they are probably uber-expensive dogs. Maybe someday........
#312 of 855 Old 12-10-2007, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeth View Post
GO Po7!!!! I hereby decree that if any dingoes are healthy and/or not taking care of sick family..... GO RUN FOR THE REST OF US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL....and thanks for the boot too, poppy. I think it must have worked. I got out there. My first mile was drudgery, but after that I was rockin my run. I ended up doing 4 instead of the 3 I had planned on. Must clean house now.....it might require another boot

:nana:
#313 of 855 Old 12-10-2007, 06:05 PM

I have a housecleaning boot to spare! Maybe the dishlicker will inspire you...

#314 of 855 Old 12-10-2007, 06:11 PM

eksmom - i need some of that nesting instinct too. there's laundry everywhere and dust bunnies running amuck and no spare time. again, this is one time when I could use for my little guy to get sick so I had to stay home from work and take care of him - but he has an immune system of steel. still no chicken pox and he's been exposed mulitple times since Halloween night!
#315 of 855 Old 12-10-2007, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
I have a housecleaning boot to spare! Maybe the dishlicker will inspire you...
Oh, that's what she's doing....

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#316 of 855 Old 12-10-2007, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeth View Post

Amen!!! Glad to hear you made it out there p07! I'm more than a little jealous.

And, eeewww, dish licking? (Dear Lord, I almost made a HORRIBLE typo there, we're talking UA violation.)

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#317 of 855 Old 12-10-2007, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppywise View Post
:

there's the boot for all who need it!

note to self: don't get cocky with your running mojo. i'm feeling all post-c25k fabulous and just headed out for a 3miler with little/no fuel whatsoever. bonk. i mean seriously, poppy, 2 cups of coffee and a cheese stick? not wise.

eks - you can come nest my house if you get the hankerin'

and why oh why is it 75 degrees in mid december? it so does not feel like xmas around here.

back to grading papers....
I have several responses to this.

1. This sentence i mean seriously, poppy, 2 cups of coffee and a cheese stick? not wise. totally made me laugh. You wouldn't believe the fuel I've run on - and regretted sometimes. Mint brownies.. a latte and nothing else... That is back in my 20's when I could eat crap and it didn't really matter. But my runs still sucked afterwards!

2. Eks - Yes, please, please come nest my house. I am so overwhelmed by everything right now. Work + Momming = nothing left in regards to keeping house or being a good wife. Ug.

3. It is 28 degrees and GRAY here. No sun. No sky, really. Just gray and cold. Your 75 degrees makes me want to weep with envy. I have to wear a knitty hat and a down vest in the house, just to stay warm.

Lost slings = Sorry, mamas... Once DD could walk and refused being in the sling I sold or gave away all of my carriers, except her fleece snugglebum. I didn't have the heart to give it away because I wore her in it constantly when she was a newborn... and that is the one I put her in now when she requests it.

So I checked out my vitamin and it doesn't have enough iron or magnesium in it, so I'm thinking about adding those the week prior to AF. Do you think it will help with my pre-AF immune problems? Does iron and magnesium levels even affect immunity? I know they affect energy levels and muscle spasms, but that is about it. I haven't had my iron levels checked in 3 years... probably time to do that anyway. Must find a gyno... I'm past due for my 3 year "annual". UG.

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
#318 of 855 Old 12-10-2007, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by towsonmama View Post
And, eeewww, dish licking? (Dear Lord, I almost made a HORRIBLE typo there, we're talking UA violation.)

#319 of 855 Old 12-10-2007, 08:30 PM

Your body uses up more Mg when sick, so yes, I would say that you need it to keep up your immunity. It of course works in conjunction with Ca, although you should not take them together. Mg also helps to calm you and sleep better.
#320 of 855 Old 12-10-2007, 08:33 PM

Uh-oh, Moonshine, I've been taking a Cal/Mag supplement all during this pregnancy. Do you not get the same benefit by taking them together?

#321 of 855 Old 12-10-2007, 09:17 PM

My understanding is that you don't. Take the Mg in the morning/lunch then, Ca later in the day. (I got pretty much all my nutritional info from the very lengthy, but useful stickie in the Vaccination forum)
#322 of 855 Old 12-10-2007, 09:29 PM

Oh, but see they are a combined supplement. I knew I needed both and I was thinking one less pill to take, I guess. I got them at Whole Foods. Hm, I will have to read up.

#323 of 855 Old 12-10-2007, 09:42 PM

Very good to know. Thanks moonshine!

We tried to take big dog for his walk with DD riding her tricycle, but we only made it around the block before she was too : to go any further. I didn't think she'd need her snow pants and boots on, since it wasn't snowing, but now I know. And another coat layer. She had on her down coat, gloves, scarf and hat, but it just wasn't enough. She was an ice cube within 10 minutes.

#324 of 855 Old 12-10-2007, 10:24 PM

Ooo I love the shivering smily!! Poor livy

No run today...it probably would've helped. My calves hurt.

Check your calicium intake. My ob wanted me to take a calcium supplement and every time I tried to eat them I would gag. So, I googled calcium and found that I was eating more than enough. So you may naturally get enough calcium. I never checked magnesium though...

Like other's have said magnesium is linked with health. But it also makes sense that if your iron is low and you are fatigued it would be harder to fight illness.
#325 of 855 Old 12-10-2007, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by towsonmama View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
Uh-oh, Moonshine, I've been taking a Cal/Mag supplement all during this pregnancy. Do you not get the same benefit by taking them together?
Argh! Why do they put them in the same capsule then!!!!???? That must be why I never remember to take them, my instinct said it was useless

Add me to the list of Dingos with sickies at home
Dh has been in bed since yesterday afternoon. I missed my window to take a shower yesterday morning, I really need one now!
::
Can't stay, Ali G is *not* having it!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#326 of 855 Old 12-11-2007, 01:46 AM

My understanding is that Ca/Mg together is just fine. They need to be in a 1-1 ratio (which is ~60/40 by weight), but otherwise, everything I read and discussed with my midwife is that they can be taken together.

They do need to be available, though. A lot of Ca/Mg supplements have the Mg as "magnesia" or "magnesium oxide." Your body won't do anything with it.

Good first day at hte conference, though I'm pooped. I figure I'll walk 6 miles a day at a minimum, so that's my exercise for the week.

DH is in charge of tracking down the MT. He stuffed it between the seat and the wall, though, so it's likely that it didn't get discovered until the end of the day in who-knows-where airport.
#327 of 855 Old 12-11-2007, 09:45 AM

Good morning! Just time for a quick post to announce that my oldest "baby" is officially five today!!! : Where do the years go? Does anyone else feel like five is a transition age?

#328 of 855 Old 12-11-2007, 09:58 AM

Geo..hope the sling shows up!

Not sure how it happened, but it seems I'm somehow back helping at the kids school everyday this week. I'm going to rearrange some things in the New Year. At least this week I'm still able to work out and today I'm wearing workout clothes to the school, so I can go to yoga class straight afterwards.

I need some nesting over here too! I'd love to sew some window treatments for my kitchen. I have a sewing machine, but I'm not that good. My grandmother used to have a shop where she made custom window treatments..I somehow did not pick up those skills.

Shanti..those dogs are cute! When I had little babies I used to dog sit for extra $$ and I kept one of those one time. My kids loved her!
#329 of 855 Old 12-11-2007, 11:05 AM

Lost Slings They are the only baby items I won't part with because I held my babies close to my heart. I miss baby babies.

Ice here today--no run outside. Will I attempt a treadmill run. I need an affirmation for that one. I was telling dh who is also a runner that running outside is a spiritual experince, running inside is just exercise.

I hope everyone has a great day.
#330 of 855 Old 12-11-2007, 11:16 AM

here's hoping that DHL can manage to deliver our holiday cards to the home address listed on the shipment today, instead of trying to deliver to the bike shop which is not open which is not the address on the package.

no exercise planned.

if the weather is not too bad i'm taking K into town for a christmas party. if it sucks, then i'll have a very disappointed boy on my hands.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page