December Dingos ~ Running Through the Holidays! - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-12-2007, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mandy - I've been meaning to tell you it, but I got the cover!! It is gorgeous and my mom is going to LOVE it!!

towsonmama - that is great news!!

MB - don't think just run!

RR: did 3.75 last nite, with some intervals mixed in, it felt really good and I wanted to keep going but had to pick up DD

NRR: I got a little 'promotion' at work It is not really a big deal, but now I'm going to be called a postdoc rather than a 'coordinator' which helps my CV a little bit and a tiny raise doesn't hurt either

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2007, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Woo hoo!!! I got most of a paper finished this morning. If I have another morning like this tomorrow, I will have it done and can submit it : I love that feeling! That leaves one assignment for the course - a huge one, but still, just one. I have a couple more to start in January. One of them is in human sexuality and the books look interesting, but I am not allowing myself to peek in them until I have submitted all of my work for this course. I am terrible at starting new things before finishing what I have already started and I can't afford to do that with school stuff. The last assignment for this course involves taping a mock counselling session with someone so one of my friends and I are trying to find some child free time to do it. That could take longer than the actual assignment and accompanying paper

I am restless from sitting at the computer all morning so I am off for a walk or run or something. It is pretty icy out there so we'll see what happens.

babybugmama - I am glad they arrived in time I hope they fit everyone just right! I am just sorry I didn't have time to make a pair for you too
Old 12-12-2007, 04:22 PM

This morning after DD got dressed I noticed she had a rash on her neck.. took a look, rash covers neck, chest, and back. Temp is 99.9. I took her to the doc and they think it is just some strange viral thing... told us to keep her away from people, especially little kids and pregnant woman, for 4 days. We had tickets for the Polar Express (train ride in Heber where they get to see Sana, drink cocoa, have cookies, sing carols, tons of fun) for tonight. The tickets cost $100 so we are trying to find a friend or co-worker who can use them... So sad. I'm seriously bummed. We did the Polar Express last year and LOVED it.

AND... I ate bad shrimp last night. What is UP with my world?

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
Old 12-12-2007, 04:34 PM

Monica -
sending you lots of healing :

Anyway you could still go and be careful about who she contacts or something? Wear a SARS mask?

Old 12-12-2007, 04:40 PM

oh, monikita, I'm sorry! that is so disappointing. I hope you find someone to take the tickets at least! we missed a couple things with this latest plague and it is just such a bummer at the holidays especially.

shanti, that's awesome that you are making such great progress!

congrats, callie! nope, a raise doesn't hurt ONE BIT.

I ran 3.4 today!!!! It was nowhere near as bad as I thought it was going to be. So I think I am still going to do the 5K on Saturday, and dd will do the 1K if she wants to. It sounds like such a fun race: jinglejog.com

off to do a bit of yoga before dd comes home.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:49 PM

Monica - I remember you saying how much fun the Polar Express was last year. Sorry you're going to miss it. I hope Livi gets better soon.

Shanti - Careful on the ice! : How was the run?

Callie - Way to go on the promotion!!

HBM - I'll continue to be thinking about your grandma and her improvement.

I took a few days off and played games like Rockband and Guitar Hero. It's back to running today!

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Old 12-12-2007, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLove View Post

Shanti - Careful on the ice! : How was the run?
: I stayed home. I have done a little reading for my paper and some knitting, but no exercise. My dd's have invited their English teacher (they are in French immersion) to come for tea and goodies after school so I need to bake something. Still no paycheque, but we have some butter and some baking basics so I will come up with something yummy for them. Does stirring count as exercise?

:: I just had to try out some of the new smilies with my dingo sisters :
Old 12-12-2007, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicocj View Post
Monica -
sending you lots of healing :

Anyway you could still go and be careful about who she contacts or something? Wear a SARS mask?
The Doc made such a big deal about it.. esp. about the pregnant women part, saying women in the first 1-3 months of pregnancy should NOT be in contact with her... It is a train ride, so DD would be touching the seats, the arm rests, the railings, etc. and the rash is all over her. What if she got germs on the train and then a pregnant woman on the next train ride touched the same spot, etc. and lost her baby? I know that is pretty extreme, but it is possible and I'm not willing to risk it. Especially since it is families of young children who do this activity, many of them pregnant and with infants.

You'd never know she was sick. She's been playing up a storm by herself since we got home over an hour ago. Usually when she is sick she just sits next to me and whines and wants me to entertain her constantly. She's even singing Christmas carols, for goodness sakes.

Aurora - Are you reading along? We only have 3 tickets, so not all of your family would be able to go, but would you be interested? It is for tonight at 5:00 on the Heber Creeper.

In other fine news, big dog now has a huge lump on his snout. Is it possible for them to get fat lumps on their faces?

I swear you guys.. I'm ready to just get in bed and pull the covers over my head. At least I'm leaving tomorrow night and will get a break from it all.

Old 12-12-2007, 05:51 PM

for the record, i do not think there is anything wrong with feeding your kids green beans from a can. or any frozen/canned vegetable.
: :
the woman who started that company doesn't have kids [yet] so it's always good in theory - right? "when i have kids will grow my own food and we will only eat organics, fresh from the garden etc etc" sometimes people pull it off [] sometimes they don't []

ok, 'nuff of that.

bbm - monday, i was really wiped out from my difficult 3 mile loop that is normally not so difficult. i had leg fatigue yesterday too. why is that, do you think? i was chalking it up to nutrition and so today i won't run until i've eaten and let it digest as well as drinking plenty of water

monica - is it fifth's disease? we've been round and round with that when my kids were younger. sometimes viruses just manifest themselves as rashes and it takes a while to shed. sorry you're missing the train

jenlove - we have guitar hero. my dh plays it, i gave up after trying the easy version of 'hit me with your best shot'

ok, i have a mountain of papers/exams to grade by tomorrow....heaven help me.

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

Old 12-12-2007, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Monica, does she have 5ths Disease? All of my kids got that rash last summer. Be careful yourself ~ if you have never had it, the adult version is AWFUL! Feels like you have extreme arthritis in all your joints for about 4 or 5 days. Sorry about your tickets. That's a bummer.

Speaking of bummers, that noreaster heading up the coast this weekend is putting a cramp in our drive to NH plan. Ugh..... Why does it have to snow the exact 2 days we plan to be travelling?

I've been ridiculously busy and only managed one run in the last 5 days . I'm hoping to get to the Y tonight for a run after DH gets home though. I've got to get myself moving.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 12-12-2007, 05:56 PM

Googling 5ths disease. I've never even heard of it, and the doctor didn't bring it up.

Huh. I don't know if that is what she has, but she doesn't have the rash on her cheeks/face at all. The highest up it goes is along her jaw and a tiny bit on her chin. It is the worst on the back of her neck.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:01 PM

Shanti - If I count guitar hero and rockband as exercise then stirring definitely counts. I'd love to go for tea and goodies at your house. :

Poppy - That song is hard! I like singing better with the rockband game.

I just got back from a short run and then a walk with Tripod. : Now I need more wood for the woodstove.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:19 PM

I just finished my Christmas cards!

have yall seen the "Christmas knits" stamps at the post office? I usually try to find sacred stamps at Christmas, but I couldn't resist these, thinking about all yall crafty knitting dingos!!!

Old 12-12-2007, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppywise View Post
so it's always good in theory - right? "when i have kids will grow my own food and we will only eat organics, fresh from the garden etc etc" sometimes people pull it off [] sometimes they don't []
Preach on, Sister Poppywise! Ahhh, actual motherhood is such a humbling experience. Thank god for my wise, experienced female relatives who knew when to shut their mouths around me and wait for experience to set in.

And the recent "South Park" episode about Guitar Hero was AWE. SOME.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonikitaUT View Post
This morning after DD got dressed I noticed she had a rash on her neck.. took a look, rash covers neck, chest, and back. Temp is 99.9. I took her to the doc and they think it is just some strange viral thing... told us to keep her away from people, especially little kids and pregnant woman, for 4 days. We had tickets for the Polar Express (train ride in Heber where they get to see Sana, drink cocoa, have cookies, sing carols, tons of fun) for tonight. The tickets cost $100 so we are trying to find a friend or co-worker who can use them... So sad. I'm seriously bummed. We did the Polar Express last year and LOVED it.

AND... I ate bad shrimp last night. What is UP with my world?
I am so so sorry. I know you must be so disapointed. I know I sure would be.

We had a family in our ward at church whose kids came down with a viral-rash type thing. Her youngest was in the nursery, and seemed fine despite the rash. One of the nursery workers who was pregnant caught it. It turned out to be 5ths disease. Sadly, she lost the baby because of it.

I was so upset for everyone involved. I never imagined something like that would happen.

I know it is a bummer to miss such an awesome nigt out, but it probably is a real concern.

RR: I ran 4 today. We finally got some cooler weather so it was much more comfortable.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:58 PM

Just watched Terms of Endearment, and DD2 watched the end/second half with me. We both cried. DD1 and DH didn't watch it, or only saw snippets, but it seemed so obvious that DH and DD1 have similar personalities, and DD2 and I do. I suppose I could have made that deduction before, but this just made it crystal clear.

Am MUCH better than yesterday, but still sick. Doing too much of anything wears me out. TG DH is home this week. I have been pretty much able to do nothing but lie around.

Po7, that sucks about your church friends. DD2 got 5ths disease this summer, but we weren't around any pregnant women.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:22 PM

My 2 youngest just had 5th disease, actually. We weren't around anyone pregnant, but I still fretted because I am of course all the time. I'm a hand washing freak at work, though, and changed clothes before going to any patient after being with my kids.

Today might have been one of the worst days I've had in a good long time. Client arrived in labor at 2 am - 35 1/2 weeks, prior drug use, teenager, not sure if her membranes ruptured, blood pressures ridiculous high initially (162/111, etc.) Went to be with her until she decided to have a little pain medicine and feel asleep this morning, blood pressure had come down as they were apparently from anxiety and everything else looked okay except for the preterm issue. Ran home to take the kids to school. Got everyone in the van, and my 10 yr old jumped back out and ran in the house and threw up 3 times. By now, client is back in active labor and they are calling me. Tucked him all up on the couch and ran 4 yr old to dcp. Arrived back at hospital and client is nice and active now, and her parents had arrived (she lives currently at a maternity home and the director from there and another nice older woman were with her, too, providing great labor support.) She couldn't tolerate exams, so not really sure where she was in labor, but starting to feel an urge to push.
Then, ultrasound calls with bad news and I had to go tell my 17 yr old client who is desperately trying to get someone to love her that she is having her 3rd miscarriage (no heart tones on ultrasound after having them there 2 weeks ago.) She is hysterical, angry, frightened, you name it, and after screaming and swearing at me for a while, she ended up sobbing in my arms and begging me to give her a baby. Just no answer for this situation, and it is absolutely heartbreaking to see such a young girl feel there is nothing to live for except to get herself a baby to love, and then to have her keep losing them. Finally, her sister's boyfriend arrived to take her home, and she left.
Back upstairs to my labor client, who the nurse has just checked because she wanted to push and I wasn't there. She's 8, but very stretchy, so the nurse told her to do whatever felt good, and she is sort of pushing most contractions. Then we run into a little conflict as her mother keeps shushing her, telling her not to push, grabs her hands several times to keep her from taking off her gown. Usually, I much more like to let folks go with the flow, so I convince client to go to the bathroom, and sitting on the toilet she rips off her gown, and started pushing in earnest, grunting and roaring loudly. A few minutes later we go back to bed and baby is born 12 minutes later, in the caul. Baby is tiny, just 4 lbs 4 oz, but feisty and healthy and nurses great right away.
Then, I go to discharge my client who birthed 2 days ago. She is sad and crying almost the whole time as she is placing her baby for adoption, but also feels it is the right decision for her. It's a hard situation, even if it's a good decision, just emotionally hard on her and all of us caring for her.
While I'm trying to frantically write my notes, ds calls to say he really needs me home, he's thrown up again, and just needs his mama. I feel like the world's crappiest mama, and plus I'm upset and exhausted.
I go home to him, get him settled, and we have a nice nap together.
Then, time to take dd to the orthodontist. I'm really tired by now, and fortunately she is feeling chatty and keeps me awake. In the orthodontist office, little dd tells me HER tummy hurts, and I think here we go. While we are making older dd's new appt, little dd throws up all over the floor, in front of a waiting room full of people. Of course I have no clean clothes for her, so we duck out of there embarrassed, and I stripped her in the bathroom, washed her, and put her in my sweatshirt to go home.
Get home, put her in the bath, and a drug seeking client calls to argue about her narcotic prescription. I have little dd whining in the tub because she doesn't feel well, little ds now feeling better and upset because his band concert and trumpet solo are tonight and we aren't sure they'll let him play, older dd trying to tell me something, and I'm on the phone trying to tell this client I think she's addicted and trying to refer her for help, but it's not going well. She ended up pretty much hanging up on me.
I called my dh and asked him to please come home and rescue me, but he's had a busy day, too, and isn't home yet. I need to leave 2 minutes ago to take at least dd to the band concert, don't want to take little dd who is still feeling pukey - and he's not here yet. I may cry.
I always say you have to have broad shoulders to be a decent doctor, but I feel like I've shouldered an awful lot today and I'm pretty burned out. Add in the feeling like a crappy mom, and the day has pretty much sucked.
Dh just walked in - off to get to the band concert!
Old 12-12-2007, 10:31 PM

Jen - What a day! I hope you can come home and rest.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:41 PM

Oh my heavens, Jen. That is truly one of the suckiest days I've ever heard of. If it helps at all, it'll make for one heck of a story later on. I hope that's sick gets well and that everyone else stays well. Rest mama. Wishing peace and health to you and your family.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
Old 12-12-2007, 11:47 PM

Oh Jen. : : What a rotten day. I don't know how you do it... You make my pathetic troubles look, well, pathetic, and I can't even handle what I've got! I'm wishing you a quiet and peaceful bubble bath, and all of your children well.

PO7 - Thank you so much for sharing that story. It really validates my feelings on keeping her completely quarantined right now. DH was talking about taking her to the zoo while I'm gone, since there aren't many people there and sharing your story with him was a good reality check. I just feel really bad, because I'm pretty sure she got this from school, and she went to school yesterday when she was contagious but we didn't know about it, and there is a pregnant teacher at the school. I have no idea if it is 5ths for sure, but ugh.

We were able to give the tickets to one of DH's coworkers, so I hope his boys are having a blast right now. I am very glad that they aren't going to waste like our circus tickets did when illness prevented us from going to that as well.

Re rash: If it is 5ths does it itch and hurt in places? Because where it is the worst, behind her ears and the back of her neck she is rubbing and saying it itches and hurts. It sure looks awful.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:56 PM

DD's started to get itchy by evening. We gave her some benedryl (nothing before that), she zonked, and she was completely fine the next day. Amazing. The doc did say it could take 3-4 days to go away, but there was nary a sign of it other than that one day.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:17 AM

oh man, dr. jen - you need a big hug and a bigger glass of wine, no?
Old 12-13-2007, 12:21 AM

if i can run 70 miles in 18 days, i will have run the distance from my town to new orleans over the year.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
Speaking of bummers, that noreaster heading up the coast this weekend is putting a cramp in our drive to NH plan. Ugh..... Why does it have to snow the exact 2 days we plan to be travelling?
yup. that's my same bummer. supposed to be headed to NYC, then on to northampton to see girlfriends before to mom's in boston. not too happy over here. yet i know we have no control over weather...

sending out healing to all you mamas and your dcs with illness.

in the good news dept: finally saw a PT and she gave me such useful info about my knee. basically i'm weak on the inner knee, and tight in my IT band (thank you, dear dd, for that spread in my hips...) this is making my knee track poorly and causing that scraping pre-arthritis racket. now i can do my 2 exercises twice a day and get better.

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
Old 12-13-2007, 01:01 AM

drjen~Not only do you have your own burdens but you see so much of others' pain in your line of work. Thank God for the miracles you help bring in to the world. I know you've worried about vaccuums and sections but those babies are here and thriving, no matter the interventions used to bring them forth. You have such a storied life. That alone is a gift.

kate~mom~On a much lighter note, I'm digging your new siggie. Did you make a decision about being a pacer?

monica~I worked as a teacher before I had dd2 and we were all well aware of 5ths disease. Most schools (around here at least) send out a memo to teachers if it's even suspected in the school. It's commonly called "slap cheek" disease because rosy cheeks are the usual telltale sign. Does your dd have that symptom?

po7~That story is just tragic. The poor woman.

I feel way behind on personals because I've been out of commission with dd's party today. I'll try to catch up tomorrow.

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

Old 12-13-2007, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by towsonmama View Post
monica~I worked as a teacher before I had dd2 and we were all well aware of 5ths disease. Most schools (around here at least) send out a memo to teachers if it's even suspected in the school. It's commonly called "slap cheek" disease because rosy cheeks are the usual telltale sign. Does your dd have that symptom?
NO. The only place on her face that she has the rash is a couple of bumps on the bottom of her chin. It is the worst on her neck, chest and back but it has since spread lower, and she even has it on the bottom of her feet. It not being on her cheeks is what makes me wonder if it is something else. The doc said sometimes a rash can show up if it is strep, but the quick test from the swab was negative and her throat was only slightly red. They are sending the swab to the lab to see if anything grows.

Old 12-13-2007, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by towsonmama View Post
kate~mom~On a much lighter note, I'm digging your new siggie. Did you make a decision about being a pacer?
no, i'm really torn. i would LOVE to do it - i had a great pacing team at my first half, who were really an inspiration to me throughout the race and in the months afterward - and i would love to take that role myself - but i am really worried about being able to consistently run even splits for that distance less than a week after boston.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:26 AM

Jen -
Old 12-13-2007, 12:04 PM

I believe that the rash does itch. When my kids caught it from the other kids at church it wasn't too bad and they didn't itch too much.

drjen~ That is a completely rotten, no good, horrible, terrible, bad day. I hope you get a chance to slow down a bit and take the day off to spend with you kids....cuddled up(with buckets of course). I am painting my children with hand sanitizer every time we set foot in public....and praying that we don't get the pukey sickies. What a nightmare.

Baby R finally slept very well last night. I woke up at 4:30 to nurse her and I felt so refreshed from getting such solid sleep that I couldn't go back to sleep. : I stayed awake until 6 or so.

RR: No running for me today. It's time to rest these legs.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:29 PM

we have a snow day! :

User Tag List