December Dingos ~ Running Through the Holidays! - Page 15 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#421 of 855 Old 12-14-2007, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonikitaUT View Post
In DD's school's newsletter it said that praising children is the same as the positive affirmations that we use as adults to try to better our lives. That it helps them create the healthy positive thoughts so they can continue to think positive things about themselves as the grow up, and help them build their confidence in their own abilities. Isn't that a different approach?
That sums up my philosophy on it. We focus on "Great job doing ____." vs. "What a good girl." And I think it is important because children mirror us in so many ways. It's fun to hear Erin saying to herself "I AM STRONG" when she's struggling with the monkey bars or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs_BK View Post
I Have no clue what to get for ILs... but shouldn't that be my husband's problem??
yeah. same issue here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by party_of_seven View Post
plady~ I kinda have the opposite problem with my dh. He buys very expensive, over the top gifts for me. I have everything I want or would ever need and I don't want anything.....I will tell dh that I don't want anything too.........I love him, and I know he cares so much....but new slippers really would be enough.

My observation/suggestion in this situation? Unsolicited so take it with a grain of salt: I would make him a list of the stuff you really do want. Slippers, soap that is the brand that is 2 dollars more than you usually buy, etc. That way he can shop from your list. I almost never need a list from someone to buy them a gift that they will like, but my dh and his family shop exclusively from a list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by towsonmama View Post
Gotta go to dd1's Christmas pageant. Am I a horrible mama because it didn't even occur to me to take the video camera until another mama mentioned it??
Nope, it just means that the actual memory means more to you as an experience than being able to re-watch it on tv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post
DS1's cyst was benign!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftmama View Post
just lost my whole freaking long post.
:

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#422 of 855 Old 12-14-2007, 01:36 PM

Quote:

if it wasn't so poetically beautiful, i'd be insane. i should x-ski. that counts as RR, right?
yes. otherwise I would disappear as soon as the snow falls.

#423 of 855 Old 12-14-2007, 01:39 PM

hey kerc, x-posted w/u. i alwasy think of you racing on your x-skis when i go out in this.

anybody listen to abba? i've just introduced my boys to "dancing queen." we're having an indoor snow dancing party! oooh, see that girl,

(am i officially going certifiably cabin-freezer crazy? what will i be introducing them to in a month from now? )

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#424 of 855 Old 12-14-2007, 01:48 PM

Quote:
(am i officially going certifiably cabin-freezer crazy? what will i be introducing them to in a month from now? )
No. We enjoy jammin' to abba in my house.

But seriously force yourself and the kids out the door every day for at least 10-20 minutes. Last night Erin was driving Erik nutso around dinner time. He stuffed her into her snowsuit and sent her out to play (she was willing). She was sledding in our backyard (in the dark no less) when i got home. Turns out Leah also wanted to head out. She's not reliable outside by herself yet, so Erik went too and reported feeling better after playing for just 10 minutes. Erin loves playing out when it is dark enough to turn on the porch light because the signal to come in is that we'll flash the lights.

#425 of 855 Old 12-14-2007, 01:49 PM

lofty - your snowpants should arrive today [i hope!] i sent them priority on tuesday but sometimes the weather up there slows things up a bit...

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#426 of 855 Old 12-14-2007, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
But seriously force yourself and the kids out the door every day for at least 10-20 minutes. Last night Erin was driving Erik nutso around dinner time. He stuffed her into her snowsuit and sent her out to play (she was willing). She was sledding in our backyard (in the dark no less) when i got home. Turns out Leah also wanted to head out. She's not reliable outside by herself yet, so Erik went too and reported feeling better after playing for just 10 minutes. Erin loves playing out when it is dark enough to turn on the porch light because the signal to come in is that we'll flash the lights.
yeah, this. Gotta do it, even if it's just for 15 minutes.

Loftmama - hope you get the wagon.
#427 of 855 Old 12-14-2007, 02:06 PM

Quote:
No. We enjoy jammin' to abba in my house.

NO. WAY. You're kidding! in the snow? in the dark? : good Lord, i have a lot to learn. must. go. outside. today. : :

poppy:

grnmtnmama, if we get the wagon, that means i'm one step closer to making it to your neck of the woods.

#428 of 855 Old 12-14-2007, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Nope, it just means that the actual memory means more to you as an experience than being able to re-watch it on tv.
That's true. I just got back and while I was taping the thing I was irritated that I had to pay attention to whether the camera was wobbling and where it was focused rather than just soak up dd's moment. Oh well, at least dh will get to see it now.

lofty~Dancing Queen is huge in our house. It's the most-requested song. We were at a block party this summer and the d.j. put it on--both of my dd's freaked out and ran to the dance floor singing at the top of their lungs. It was one of those moments that only the parents truly enjoy. : for your car!

rm~::: GREAT NEWS!!!!! :::

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#429 of 855 Old 12-14-2007, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmmm... I may have to download Dancing Queen. We love "Saturday Night" here and 'You shook me all night long" :!

Drjen ~ oh no! Your poor son. My DS threw up on the bus earlier this year. Everyone still remembers it. Your story about the couple and the doppler reminds me of my sister. She is about 6 months pregnant with her first and her fiancee is still in Kenya waiting for his Visa paperwork. She had her appointment yesterday and called him from the office so he could hear their baby's heartbeat over the phone .

RM ~ great news!!!!

I did 45 minutes on the elliptical this morning. I was getting ready to jump on the TM at the Y when who but my orthopedic doc walks in the door ! I hightailed it over to the "arthritis approved" elliptical before he could see me !

We're leaving for NH on Sunday, pending decent weather. Snow expected here today and tomorrow. I hope the roads are clear in time for us to leave on Sunday. It will be either two or three days in the car. Not looking forward to that at all.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#430 of 855 Old 12-14-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
NO. WAY. You're kidding! in the snow? in the dark? good Lord, i have a lot to learn. must. go. outside. today.

yep. totally in the snow in the dark (well semi-dark). Here's the deal: get yourself warm gear. Whatever it takes -- long johns, wool socks are a must. Wearing both right now at work. My Dh just bought himself some snowpants with his birthday money.

#431 of 855 Old 12-14-2007, 03:57 PM

loftmama - what size are you? i may be able to help you with some snowpants....pm me
#432 of 855 Old 12-14-2007, 04:30 PM

wow. snowpants. whenever I hear that (or, heck, get the Lands End catalog in the mail!) I am reminded that I live in a vastly different world. Although, they are predicting flurries for tomorrow night, maybe?!!? makes sense to me that some outside time is ALWAYS good for the soul.

dd and I are going on a "date" tonight to dinner and an xmas concert....I'm really glad we're going. She has been totally excited about it and I am too...nice to get some time away from the boy for once. He is SO very two. I did go to the mall today to return some stuff and I swear the whole place was on sale. I got some crazy bargains...gymbo tights for 15 CENTS and cowboy boots for dd for 79 cents. Yes, you read that right. I wasn't going to buy anything but...... : then I had to get some red plaid sneaker flats ($7!) and now I think I will be DONE except for stocking stuffers.

take care mamas....I'm doing this 5K tomorrow if it doesn't rain, just for fun, although it will be CD1 for me so maybe I won't totally embarass myself.
#433 of 855 Old 12-14-2007, 04:38 PM

grnmtnmama, like i told poppy, i'm an 8 on a good day and a 10 on a bad day, otherwise known as M. but hey, how many snowpants does one need? 1's good enough, i'm sure! somehow, i picture you a lean, mean size 4 or something.

brrr, it is really really coming down hard and sideways!

mamabeth, i love mama/child dates. they rock. have fun!

#434 of 855 Old 12-14-2007, 04:48 PM

is poppy sending you some? cause i totally have a couple of sample Burton pants of this size that came into my life about a month ago.
#435 of 855 Old 12-14-2007, 04:56 PM

okay, so i just got the car stuck in snow. dh is digging it out. i bet he wishes he'd bought those snow tires.

re: winter clothing. will trade love, money, stuff for mittens...

#436 of 855 Old 12-14-2007, 05:36 PM

:

I think I found myself a marathon for April. It's a small town 1st anual marathon....not too far from here. Registration is pretty cheap....only $50.

April sounds pretty do-able. My LRs so far have been 8 miles or so. I could get my milage up by then with no problem. I might have to make that my b-day present to myself.

#437 of 855 Old 12-14-2007, 05:42 PM

Po7, that sounds like a perfect marathon, and what I think I want to find. Something small.

loftmama, I want to come to your dance party.

I'm really just popping in to report a couple (OK two) miles on the TM, that's the first running here in a long, long time. Lifted a bit too. Hoping for that yummy feeling tomorrow.

Monikita, do you do free weights? Or a machine? At home or at the gym? I keep meaning to ask.

Gotta put something in my belly before I turn inside out. That granola bar didn't hold me for long, but hey, I got a run in at lunchtime!
#438 of 855 Old 12-14-2007, 05:44 PM

Oops and RM, whew on the cyst. That is such good news!
#439 of 855 Old 12-14-2007, 07:26 PM

I'm fighting the urge to say "good morning!" even though it is after 2pm here. I stayed in bed until NOON today. Yikes. That was a little bit beyond what I meant to do... After Nevie went down last night, I scooted out to watch a movie with some girlfriends/classmates. So, not in bed until midnight and it took a while to wind down from there.

I cannot find my effing effing EFFING address book anywhere!! Gyaaaaa. I do NOT want to rebuild that thing. And I wanted to get my XMas cards in the mail today. Outlook not good for that one.

I am now going to scoot to the library to find a book on CD to entertain me on my whirlwind, solo, cross-state drive to meet MONICA and CHERYL ANN!!!

No RR lately. Eh. Blork.

RM - so glad for your boy and you.

Lofty -- XCskiing is, dare I say it, even better than running. Because of the altitude and all the muscle groups involved, XC skiers have the best aerobic capacity of any athlete (highest VO2 consumption). It's a super amazing workout, so go to it! AND it's so much nicer on your joints.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#440 of 855 Old 12-14-2007, 07:41 PM

Megs - I am so jealous of your meet up. I hope it's fabulous!

PO7 - That sounds like a great marathon. Go you!

Loftmama - Did you get your car out of the snow? :

I ran 2 with Lizzy today, and I came home and soaked in the tub. It was chilly, but sunny so it wasn't so bad. Then her and I curled up in the chair to read Glamour, Time, and eat Ben and Jerry's. Well... she just snored loudly on my lap, but it was good company.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#441 of 855 Old 12-14-2007, 07:56 PM

jenlove, we sure did! Hah! thanks. your evening sounds very nice...

we're getting 1 - 2' on sunday. yes, that's feet, not a typo.

megsbk, didn't know that about x-c skiing. thanks! have a great trip. i'm jealous. i would LOVE to meet you all!

#442 of 855 Old 12-14-2007, 10:28 PM

A dingo meet-up??!?!? I want to come!! Have fun, Megs, CherylAnn and Monica!!

jenlove~That afternoon sounds divine.

I'm not ready to discuss details but we had to "rehome" (don't you love the euphemism) our pug. It's a sad night here.

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#443 of 855 Old 12-14-2007, 10:42 PM

Please send "snow, snow, stay away -- come again on Monday!" vibes to the highways between Spokane, Chelan and Bellevue, WA!

Towson, I'm sorry about the pug situation. Our malamute knocked Nevie over tonight and for a second I wanted to open the gate and subject him to the mercies of our busy street. So, it's tough. I hope you find peace about it.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#444 of 855 Old 12-14-2007, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Did you ever see The Shining? :
And, yes, I snorted hot black coffee typing : one time.
Also, Dancing Queen is C's song. Or at least every time we play it she declares, That's my song! Do you guys have satellite radio up there? I wonder if it cuts through the clouds? Anyway, when we lived in the country place we had XM and we loved the kids station. They used to have a great dj D Dynamite and we'd do a dance party every night. Then one time Chiara emailed in a request and mentioned our nightly dance party and the dj said Chiara's name about 6 times during her broadcast that night. It was awesome and then the dj became "my dj" according to dd.

Oh mamas, all that talk of snow and snow pants and xc skiing etc etc has me just wanting to jump on the first plane north! I really really miss winter this year for some reason. I wonder if it is because we know we're going and it's just a matter of time?

We're back from the art show and it was great. It was packed and the kids all looked so proud of themselves and so happy. I'm sure it will be an event that they will always remember. Ali G wore her Xmas dress and was completely overwhelmed by all the energy and lights and sounds. I'm just going to keep her snuggled in tight for the rest of the night to try to absorb some of that from her.

Megs - Safe journey and have a blast! Please bring your camera and take pictures!!!!! You know that scene at the end of Mulan (or Brother Bear?) where there are people celebrating and then all the spirits are celebrating too? Well I imagine you and Monica and CherylAnn as the people and all the rest of us dingos as the spirits. And we're all animated. With celebrity voices. : Speaking of which, I want Holly Hunter to do my voice although she should probably do one of you southern dingos. Who do y'all want to be your celebrity voice?

JayGee! ::

Twsnmama- I'm sorry, that's got to be hard.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#445 of 855 Old 12-15-2007, 10:56 AM

loftmama - i might be able to help with some snow mitten things. I have a bit of a collection of snow stuff. I'll go through the stuff later today or tomorrow. won't be in time for the big storm, but maybe for the next one.
#446 of 855 Old 12-15-2007, 11:15 AM

Have fun at the meetup, mamas!
Towsonmama-We do an east coast camping meet-up in the summer. You HAVE to come!

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#447 of 855 Old 12-15-2007, 11:28 AM

plady - i'm going with megan mullally [actually the character karen from will & grace] sounds nothing like me, but i love her voice! martini anyone?

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#448 of 855 Old 12-15-2007, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy View Post
Towsonmama-We do an east coast camping meet-up in the summer. You HAVE to come!
Ooooh!!! That sounds fun! Count me in!

I HAVE to get out of the house today. Last night I asked dh to let me sleep in today because it's been a trying week and the kids are officially on break so I know next week will be crazy. I just need to catch up on some sleep, yk? What does he do? Comes in at 7 a.m. and announces that he's leaving to get his oil changed and all three kids are up and need to eat. No "Good morning" or anything. : I think I need some alone time with the crazy, Christmas-frenzied public to readjust myself.

#449 of 855 Old 12-15-2007, 12:29 PM

Ugh. Traction tires required both directions through the pass right now. We have good all-seasons... does that count? No? I didn't think so.

#450 of 855 Old 12-15-2007, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by towsonmama View Post
I HAVE to get out of the house today. Last night I asked dh to let me sleep in today because it's been a trying week and the kids are officially on break so I know next week will be crazy. I just need to catch up on some sleep, yk? What does he do? Comes in at 7 a.m. and announces that he's leaving to get his oil changed and all three kids are up and need to eat. No "Good morning" or anything. : I think I need some alone time with the crazy, Christmas-frenzied public to readjust myself.
Dude, that is SO not cool.

Megan, does that mean you can't go to the meet-up?

I'm off the dd's basketball game, then I'll start my day of holiday baking.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page