December Dingos ~ Running Through the Holidays! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 855 Old 12-03-2007, 09:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonikitaUT View Post
Eks - Pineapple casserole? That sounds... intriguing. What else is in it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
You're so diplomatic!

Hot pineapple casserole. It's not health food, and probably could almost be considered a dessert, but it is definitely .

Monica, when I read what you wrote to mamabeth about what causes diarrhea, it was so fitting for me... I won't tell you what expletive/exclamation popped into my head, but it made me . Your explanations of things amaze the heck out of me.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#62 of 855 Old 12-03-2007, 09:45 PM

So what's this pinapple caserole like, anyway?

Balancin1 - dd and I are going to the zoo Wed, the 5th - any interest? It won't be to see the lights, though - we are planning to be there early because I have to leave by 2 to get home and get Justin to the eye doctor.

Geo - You got a Christmas card already? Yikes. I'm bound and determined to get mine out in 2007 this year, though - but don't all be holding your breath for by Christmas!

Not going to run tonight, trying to ease back in with an every other day schedule. I'm sort of bummed now that I didn't get registered for the Indy Mini. Not sure what else to train for now.

I missed it when we were talking about relays before, but Illinois has one, too that is quite popular River to River Relay It looks like a lot of fun, but this year it sold out in 10 minutes!
#63 of 855 Old 12-03-2007, 09:47 PM

P.S. Anybody notice I successfully posted a link with regular text? Thanks all you guys who had the answer!
#64 of 855 Old 12-03-2007, 09:56 PM

Jen~how about transfers for the Indy mini? You could get your transfer that way.

My friend that just got into running is registered for the mini!! She also raced on Thanksgiving and is racing in December!! Maybe I can get her hooked on t his group too.

Seeing the sports doc on Wed. wish me luck!
#65 of 855 Old 12-03-2007, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post
Jen~how about transfers for the Indy mini? You could get your transfer that way.
What does that mean? Do they have a bib transfer process, or is it like Chicago and if you can't run, too bad?
#66 of 855 Old 12-03-2007, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

Towsonmom is on the BALL! 12/3, and cards are out already. Whooo-wee.
Really, it's so embarrassing to have cards out this early. I never would have sent them so soon BUT we have a new address and I feel the need to get that out there to our masses. I usually aim for 12/22 as my card-sending day.

For you Chicago marathoners, have you read the recent RW? The ed-in-chief has a race report. It's interesting.

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#67 of 855 Old 12-03-2007, 10:08 PM

mamabeth~Do you read RW? The final page made me think of you because it's an interview with Rev. Katharine Jefferts Schori. She mentions a link between running and body prayer that I found interesting. Hope you're feeling better soon!

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#68 of 855 Old 12-03-2007, 10:18 PM

OMG, that pineapple casserole looks yummy!

Okay, I'll stop serial posting and give someone else a chance.

#69 of 855 Old 12-03-2007, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjen View Post
What does that mean? Do they have a bib transfer process, or is it like Chicago and if you can't run, too bad?
They started a transfer process a year or two ago. They don't look ready for 2008...yet.
#70 of 855 Old 12-03-2007, 11:24 PM

runningmommy--good luck at the doc on wed.

poppy--yikes about the scary dog. glad you got home safely.

all of you felling-ill mamas--speedy recovery

CHAI MUFFINS--how awful i've already forgotten which of you clever mamas made those. could you post the recipe? sounds like they'd make for serious running motivation!

monica, i'm jealous! i'm wishing i had a TM at home, that i could watch holiday movies and also get some exercise. last night i was putting ribbon on the dough ornaments we made for gifts, while watching Miracle on 34th Street. the way the wind is here, if i go out to the Y i'll either get blown away or whacked in the head by a stray tree branch. let's hope it settles down by morning.

i had my knee xray today, hopefully a report by tomorrow. on my way back i saw two people running along some fields i pass. very postcard-worthy country scene, with the bit of snow on the red barn roofs and all.

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#71 of 855 Old 12-03-2007, 11:50 PM

I just got back from an aromatherapy class and it was so much fun!! We made massage lotion after smelling nutmeg for 2 hours... if you know what that means!

Today is my day off. It's back to the workout schedule tomorrow.

Poppy - That's my greatest fear. Even when dogs are chained and bark I jump. I must get over that. I'm glad it turned out okay for you.

Chai lattes, chai muffins, chai biscotti... come on now!

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#72 of 855 Old 12-04-2007, 12:52 AM

OK, it's time for me to do something holiday-worthy while watching a holiday movie! I keep forgetting to grab my copy of "Elf" that I left at my parents'. D'oh! But I have many others to enjoy, too...

I think my Xmas cards will either be post-finals or a way to procrastinate during said finals. So, like, next Monday or something I will get VERY efficient!

Towson, I asked another professor about your tendonitis thing today. She made a bad face and said "Ehhhhhhhh..." in a bad way when I mentioned the do-not-pass-go-go-directly-to-orthotics plan. I asked her about it because we were discussing ultrasound in lab and I know that the foot is a tricky place to use ultrasound (because US heats bone really well and there's a lot of superficial bone in the foot). She said there are some nice ways to use US there -- either by placing a water-filled bag around the treatment area and ultrasounding over that, or by submerging the foot in a bucket and ultrasounding in the water. It's a bit more work, but can be really nice and effective to promote that healing process. So, maybe worth asking about. And a second opinion is always a good idea if you're in doubt. Any health care professional who would discourage a 2nd opinion is not one I would want.

Yikes. Bedtime not going so hot tonight. Time to sit and pray or something.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#73 of 855 Old 12-04-2007, 05:14 AM

subbing.
Life has been so busy lately. I did 3 miles...7 days ago...and thats it. Not even running either, just powerwalking.
Its a busy time at the store, and school and with kids. ugggh.

My goal this week is to run atleast 2 miles/powerwalk atleast 4!
#74 of 855 Old 12-04-2007, 09:00 AM

kanga, I am notoriously bad about recipes, but I think if you take a basic quickbread recipe and add the ingredients, it would work with small adjustments (like a splash of milk and maybe a little more baking powder or soda). I added 1/2 C cocoa, maybe 1/2 C choc chips, and then a LOT of spice--probably full teaspoons of cinnamon, clove, ginger, half a tsp cardamom, and a good pinch of black pepper. And then maybe more cinnamon. And then a little more cardamom. I'm like that.

I need to run, even if it is just 2 miles, today. I have a chicken in the pot to cook up for soup before I even leave for work. I have a dental appt today, and yesterday kicked off a reorganization that will have us in some tumult into the new year. Bright side, I got a fat freelance check yesterday and I am taking Saturday off to maybe buy myself some boots! And new running shoes? Maybe...

Enjoy, mamas!
#75 of 855 Old 12-04-2007, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I had my follow-up at the orthopedic surgeon this morning. He said my knee was totally "unremarkable" (a good thing!) and that he'd never know there were arthritic changes if he had not seen them on the MRI. Still, he said no impact exercise, so I'll just keep my short little runs to myself ! I CAN'T NOT run. It's my sanity. I'd rather be sane and have a knee replacement in 15 years, KWIM.

Off to the Y for some impact free time on the elliptical trainer this morning and then getting haircuts for both DDs.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#76 of 855 Old 12-04-2007, 11:18 AM

Hey y'all...
well, any affirmations for 2 year olds who can't get over a stomach bug? the rest of us are tentatively okay, and ds hasn't been sick since last night, but who knows....jaygee, I remember that you guys had an awful time of it a while ago. it does indeed suck. HBM saved our lives by delivering supplies (soup, gatorade, crackers) : and that's been getting us through.

Yes, I did see the RW with the bishop in it! I was very excited to see that...love seeing the chickpastor representing for the rest of us. okay, I only know three pastors IRL who run, but I know there have to be more, right?

I'm hoping that I can be well enough to do even a teensy bit of training for this 5K on the 15th. If not....oh well! It's always something, right? I might try a slow run tomorrow if all is well. take care mamas.
#77 of 855 Old 12-04-2007, 11:42 AM

Is the RW article in the Dec or Jan issue. I don't subscribe but I might pick that one up. I find it to be an inspiring magazine.

Balancin1 and Drjen I think I remember that you two are in the Chicago area. How many mamas are here from that area? I am in the Western Subs.
#78 of 855 Old 12-04-2007, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
We had our first snow day yesterday. Not that much actually fell, but the wind was wild - as usual up here There were a few times that looking out the window felt like i was living in a snow globe!

I am heading out for a run this morning - this is my favourite kind of running weather. I just wish I could find my Ipod so I could run with music. I know all of the reasons not to, but it really helps me - and traffic is definitely not an issue where I run

When I get back I just might have to make a batch of biscotti to go with my Chai every morning. Then it is to work on my second last project for this course. I have until Jan. 31 to get everything in, but I am hoping to get it all done before Christmas.

I need to find some new yoga poses for this season. I have done way too much knitting and my hands are sore and weak and I find that bearing too much weight on them makes things worse instead of better. I am wearing a brace to bed and thinking of buying one for my other wrist - I wish that I didn't overuse my hands for everything I do in my life. Reading is the only thing where they can rest - but I have finished all of my school reading so I can't even shift to that.
#79 of 855 Old 12-04-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by towsonmama View Post
mamabeth~Do you read RW? The final page made me think of you because it's an interview with Rev. Katharine Jefferts Schori. She mentions a link between running and body prayer that I found interesting. Hope you're feeling better soon!
oh i'm so glad you posted that. i don't get RW but i love everything i've ready by Katharine Jefferts Schori, so far. I think she should run for pres. Just kidding. : i just like her. i'll have to download the article.

my kids are x-country skiing!

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#80 of 855 Old 12-04-2007, 12:16 PM

just got into work. I did two runs at the mountain this morning. The snow was really good, but it was packed and the lift was running very slow due to the wind. I felt very much like I should be in an Athleta catalog as I was changing out of my boarding clothes into my skirt and boots for work at the base of the mountain

now i have to get my act together. talk at you later!
#81 of 855 Old 12-04-2007, 12:44 PM

I only have time for a quick check-in because I made it to the library and want to try one of the exercise dvd's I got before I have to head back to carpool land.

megs~You are so sweet for thinking of me while at school! I'm really happy to hear your prof thought orthotics shouldn't be the first remedy. I have an appt. with a podiatrist tomorrow and I figure I'll see where that takes me.

Okay, off to exercise.

#82 of 855 Old 12-04-2007, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modmom View Post
Is the RW article in the Dec or Jan issue. I don't subscribe but I might pick that one up. I find it to be an inspiring magazine.

Balancin1 and Drjen I think I remember that you two are in the Chicago area. How many mamas are here from that area? I am in the Western Subs.
I'm actually about 90-100 miles southwest of Chicago. Somebody else is far north suburbs - can't remember who right now, bec? I consider Chicago within driving distance for fun activities, though!

My dh works at Argonne National Laboratory in the darien/downers/lemont area and my ds is in college at North Central College in Naperville, are you near either one?

Don't know if I'll get my run in tonight as a I have a client in early labor now - hopefully it will work out!
#83 of 855 Old 12-04-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjen View Post
Don't know if I'll get my run in tonight as a I have a client in early labor now - hopefully it will work out!
Sending fall out baby vibes to them for you...

#84 of 855 Old 12-04-2007, 01:18 PM

having a blah morning. i am tired of not having anything in common with people around here. someone on this thread posted a while back that they lived in a neighborhood where they were not like everyone else, can't remember who it was right now. anyway, that's us and some days i just get real grumpy about it. i miss the west coast, but not even where we used to live exactly. i just miss open-minded people. ok, pity party over.

i was thinking it would be cool to have a virtual map where all the dingos could put a pin where they live on it - i have such a hard time keeping track of where everyone lives if it is not in their location and i like visual refs more than lists. i am sure there is a website that can do that but i haven't found it yet. maybe there is a part of yahoo groups that will do it.

off to grade some papers...the end of this semester is weighing me down.

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#85 of 855 Old 12-04-2007, 01:24 PM

Poppy, google has such a thing as that map. I can't remember what it's called.

Got to the gym yesterday. Only 30 mins on the elliptical, and some weights, but it was better than nothing. I was tired and I'm out of shape but I am longing to run. I think the ankle could take it but I'm being cautious about my footing in this fall muck. I do have to let go of my expectations that anything under 3 perfect miles is not worth doing though. =)
#86 of 855 Old 12-04-2007, 01:53 PM

If the map is something Google can do, maybe we could figure out a way to put it on a password protected web page. I have web server space to share.

#87 of 855 Old 12-04-2007, 03:09 PM

I just joined Facebook recently and one of my friends has a map like that on her page, I'll go check it out and see what I can find!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#88 of 855 Old 12-04-2007, 03:17 PM

Okay, so it's a TripAdvisor thing where you pin a map with places you've been but I'm not sure it will work for us each noting our own location. I'll keep investigating.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#89 of 855 Old 12-04-2007, 03:43 PM

I thought google owned them, but maybe not:

Frappr

I'm pretty sure you can make your group password protected. I'd love to figure it out but someone is melting down because I just told her she can't eat nothing but tangerines for lunch. Aye yi yi.
#90 of 855 Old 12-04-2007, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeth View Post
Hey y'all...
well, any affirmations for 2 year olds who can't get over a stomach bug? the rest of us are tentatively okay, and ds hasn't been sick since last night, but who knows....jaygee, I remember that you guys had an awful time of it a while ago. it does indeed suck. HBM saved our lives by delivering supplies (soup, gatorade, crackers) : and that's been getting us through.

Yes, I did see the RW with the bishop in it! I was very excited to see that...love seeing the chickpastor representing for the rest of us. okay, I only know three pastors IRL who run, but I know there have to be more, right?

I'm hoping that I can be well enough to do even a teensy bit of training for this 5K on the 15th. If not....oh well! It's always something, right? I might try a slow run tomorrow if all is well. take care mamas.

I hope everyone stays well at your house. My dh ate something Sunday night that was not cooperating with him. He was burping and groaning a bit but insisted he was fine. Then he wanted to do some crosstraining. .....ya, right! He ended up being fine by morning.

I hope you get some training in...if not I'm sure you will be fine.

I ran 4 miles this afternoon. I had zero motivation, but I managed to slog through it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page