December Dingos ~ Running Through the Holidays! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 855 Old 12-08-2007, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
moonshine~Wow, you're really hit with the birthdays this time of year. I feel bad for ever whining about being stressed by one bday on the 11th! You must be a master planner or time manager.

bbm~Great race!!!! I'm always a little jealous when I read reports from you speedsters but it's even more inspiring.

runningmommy~Ditto the speedster stuff above. Way to go!! I'm so glad to hear you ran pain-free. I'm on a six-week tendonitis hiatus but I can't wait to get back out there.

mamabeth~You have every right to be grinchy. Your fuel tank is probably on empty, after being in the negative zone for a while. It takes a while to fully get back from an illness that depleting.

I'm supposed to be putting the lights on the tree right now while dh is at the grocery store. Instead, I just finished my Denise Austin dvd. (I'm a sucker for her telling me I look great every 20 seconds!). I better go shower, hide the dvd evidence, and throw a strand of lights on that tree!!

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#242 of 855 Old 12-08-2007, 05:17 PM

towsonmama called me a speedster!!! I love you woman, will you marry me?

I was not a speedster before, I'm just really getting inspired to get faster. My butt really hurts now though

mamabeth - get some nuts in you too!

Jaygee I'm sorry it didn't go as well as hoped. Could you go as a family?

Lisa - most excellent!!! Said in my best bill and ted voice
#243 of 855 Old 12-08-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post
just a quick post to report that ds1's surgery went fine and cyst is most likely benign. *sigh* of relief. He's doing great.
Good news!!! You injured your ITB? How long were you taking a break? My friend has that injury right now and we are doing a 4 mile uphill walk once or twice a week until she can run again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppywise View Post
thanks for all your comments on my miserable existence here
some days are bad, some days aren't. i guess i feel like i am having to deal with a whole lotta stuff i don't like every day so that dh can do his dream job. at some point, i am hoping the tide will turn and i'll find something that is good about being here, or we move [the reality of moving just gets harder when kids get older, i think]

Poppy I didn't realize you were having a hard time. I'm really sorry to hear that. I can relate, but I haven't really completely formed my own issue in my mind. I don't know that there would be anything for me anywhere, but I'm thinking about it a lot lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicocj View Post
: Nora turns 2 today

RR: 5.5 mile tempo last nite... the big 18 tomorrow!! :
Nora!!! Good luck on your 18!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
I am doing well, it has been over a week with no sign of that-which-shall-not-be-named (every time I say something about how well I'm doing to my DH, it comes back within 24 hours). I am feeling pretty optimistic and there is also plenty of wiggling around in there to keep me feeling positive. Feeling the baby move is hands down the best part of pregnancy for me.
Yay!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama View Post
So I ran the annual jingle bell run this morning with jgmommo. I started out great! I ran the first mile 7:45. Then I hit mile two. Mile two was a hill. The entire mile two I believe was a hill. I slowed way down to probably an 8:55 or 9:00 min mile. Given that I haven't really ran since the turkey trot I wasn't able to really recover and I did the last mile close to 8:30 for a total of 26:05 (avg 8:24 min miles). I was really shooting for under 25, but I need to work more to get there. I'm getting close, but not quite there yet.
BBM, that sounds like a great run to me!!

I'm starting to get caught up a little here. :-) No run today. I'm at the venue for our big annual auction getting the computer networks set up for cashiering. Heading home to give dh the car, then back here to train cashiers, then back home to take a nice bath (to get the inkjet ink off my hands and the rest of my body where the printer urped all over me while I was setting up) and get ready to come back and hopefully make a lot of money for the school!
#244 of 855 Old 12-08-2007, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
moonshine - I hear you on the too-much-knitting pain I try and sleep with a brace on my wrist and that helps some - except I always seem to take it off at some point in the night I have a sweater to finish for someonw ASAP and after that it will just be fun knitting.

We were going to get our Christmas tree today until we realized that there is no $$$ until the next paycheque. I hate that feeling, especially when we had already told the kids we would be doing it today. It's just a couple more days, but yuck.

Another perfect running day - a little below freezing, not too much wind, and some snow falling - it is so pretty.
#245 of 855 Old 12-08-2007, 05:41 PM

I ran on the TM last night (Premonition is a weird movie - the musical score makes it scarier than the actual movie.) and lifted for shoulders. We got about 5" of fresh powder, so this morning I xc skied at the golf course 2 minutes from my house. I went about 3.40 miles (forgot to turn the GPS on until I was a ways out) in powder, including hills. I'm so wiped out now. It doesn't help that DD got us all up at 4:40 am this morning, as in up for the day. I plan on eating lunch and then crashing on the couch. I think I'm even too tired to knit!

BBM - Great job on your race, speedy woman!

Callie - I'm thinking of you and your 18er today. I've never done 18. I did 17, then straight to 20. You'll have to let me know if it is good. Happy b-day to Nora!

KR: I started a sweater for me yesterday, and finished up the yoke this morning. It is my first top-down sweater, and is knit with chunky yarn so it should be pretty fast. I'm fiddling with the sizing, so I hope it turns out okay.

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
#246 of 855 Old 12-08-2007, 05:46 PM

Well, the 18 is done and it actually wasn't too bad . The miles flew by thanks to my new-found skill of dissociation (thanks moonshine!!). On the last 3 miles, my legs felt a little tired, but otherwise I felt good, we kept a pretty even pace right between 10:40-10:50/mile and I definitely felt as though I still had something left in me at the end, just not sure it was 8 more miles worth I think the hardest part of the run was forcing myself into the ice bath afterwards Thanks for all the encouragement yall

BBM - way to go on the race that is an awesome time!

Po7 - I can't believe yall are still so hot down there! it has finally started cooling off here...

Plady - that is great news on the renting!!

RM - that is awesome to hear that you are running pain free happy dance

poppy - I don't know about the exact correlation from TM to road, but I heard someone say they put theirs on a 1% incline to make the resistance more alike to the road/wind resistance... but I have no idea if that is true or not ...) I just tell myself a mile is a mile...

there are a lot of december babes here!

I'm feeling guilty now that we don't have a tree yet, so maybe we'll do that this weekend... and christmas cards...

MB, HBM, moonshine- hope yall all feel better soon!

have a good weekend everyone!

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#247 of 855 Old 12-08-2007, 06:14 PM

calicocj~ It has cooled off here once or twice, but we seem to be in a warm spell right now. I seriously am wearing shorts right now with the A/C running. I just told dh that it feels more like May than December. We even slept with the windows open last night but it hardly cooled off at all. It is supposed to rain tomorrow, but I don't care....I'm going to get a good run in even in the rain.

I remember the Christmas when I got my first bike....it was a Strawberry Shortcake bike....with a little basket in front and everything. It was 85 outside and it had rained. I rode my new bike down the driveway wearing shorts on Christmas morning.

Unseasonably warm weather is not uncommon in Houston.

Oh BBM~ You are speedy mama!! I can only dream of being that fast.
#248 of 855 Old 12-08-2007, 06:22 PM

I had a dream about all y'all last night! We were all doing a race together and running through this old cool town with all these stone mason buildings! It was so fun!

I was a women's group meeting this morning and all the sudden I got so dizzy I thought I was going to fall out of my chair. I actually grabbed the chair beside me. Wierd! I had a vertigo virus a few years ago...I hope it's not coming back.
#249 of 855 Old 12-08-2007, 07:07 PM

wtg calicocj,

and bbm, good job woman!

i got out cross-country skiing today. it was soooo awesome!!!

okay, gotta run. got relatives here. my ds2's birthday is on the 18th. i don't feel like i can get into christmas until i have his b-day behind me. so i'll *start* christmas the week before it gets here! but that's okay, b/c we're really into doing christmas for the 12 days afterward as well!!!!

gotta split. have a great day, y'all!!

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#250 of 855 Old 12-08-2007, 08:05 PM

Quote:
towsonmama called me a speedster!!! I love you woman, will you marry me?
Awww, shucks! : What girl doesn't love a proposal???

lofty~I like the idea of celebrating the 12 days after Christmas. It all ends so abruptly on Jan 1st in my house. We usually even have the tree down by then.

shanti~That sucks about the $$$. I swear, financial problems are the worst, especially when it affects the kiddos. We wouldn't have survived this past year without intervention from my folks, which brings up a lot of other issues.

callie~ Way to go!! So the dissociation works, eh? That's awesome that you still felt strong at the end. When's your marathon?

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#251 of 855 Old 12-08-2007, 08:20 PM

Hi Running mamas,

I wanted to report a 4 mile run!!! That's my longest since starting back. I am really excited. This has been a stressful week; I can't believe the difference running makes.

I hope everyone is healthy and not getting eaten alive by the busyness of the season.
#252 of 855 Old 12-08-2007, 09:19 PM

i've been out of the house during more of the last waking hours than in it. went skiing last night straight from work - the mountain opened last night . dd was PISSED when she saw me packing my stuff in the am - this was the exchange -
dd: are you packing that bag for skiing?
me: yep
dd: should i be getting my stuff together?
me: no, hon, i'm going straight from work
dd: why are you going without ME?!?!!?!?

she was slightly less disappointed when she realized it would be way cold and dark by the time i got there - i think she thought i wasn't going to work and was just going skiing.

anyway, then i was out of the house at 6:20 this am to meet the group for the LR - home for a quick shower and change - then back to the mt with dd this time, since the only way i could get her out of her grumpy mood yesterday was to promise to take her today.

anyway, between the skiing and the lr, i have some achy knees!
#253 of 855 Old 12-08-2007, 09:35 PM

kate~mom~Did you make a decision about being a pacer?

#254 of 855 Old 12-08-2007, 10:23 PM

Just checking in to catch up and say "hi." I went north to the lake with 4 classmates last night so I could get away from home/kid and focus on some studying for finals next week. To our credit, we did cover a lot of material. And then talked, laughed, and watched "Mean Girls." Which, considering the social-politics nature of much of our conversation, was an appropriate movie...

Did an amazing circuit training workout yesterday. One of our adjunct faculty is a younger PT who owns an AMAZING PT/Sports Conditioning clinic in town. He invited us all over to let off some steam before finals and took us through the paces. Big time. I am SOOOO SORRRRRRE today, but in a good way. The only negative thing was that one of the circuits was jumping over a small hurdle. Ummmmm... should have emptied bladder first. Did NOT see that coming.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#255 of 855 Old 12-08-2007, 11:30 PM

Evening mamas,

Lofty - XC skiing how fun! And sweaty!

We are nearly overwhelmed by the response to our rental ad! But in a good way, it will be nice to have that all taken care of. Of course, Ali G has yet to get any official paperwork, not even her mexican birth cert which she needs before she can get a US passport. At first I thought 180 days was way more time than anyone would need to get paperwork filied but now I'm not so cocky! So anyway, suffice it to say we don't know exactly when we'll be heading north.

Why SJI? Nearly random actually. We had some guests from up there who really talked it up when we mentioned we were looking for a new place to live with good schools and nice people and beautiful surroundings. As it turned out one of the guests had a vacation rental so we arranged to trade places and went out in May for a visit. We fell in love with the island and found the house which we eventually got, although initially our offer was completely blown off by the bank (it was a foreclosure). Then, in Oct the bank reconsidered our offer and here we are! We did 8 years here in Mexico after expecting to max out at about 5 so pretty much we just need a change of scene, free public education, etc. And, like all the Mexicans up there, we just kind of want to go home. Not that either of us has ever lived in the PNW, but that's okay, it'll be home, I'm sure.

BBM - You know, when I was reading your times I thought "Holy Cats she's fast!"

Kate~Mom - Wow, not only am I envious of all that skiing but what a great dh you have! After about 15 minutes of me on the computer I get a baby dumped unceremoniously back on my lap most days.

And that's 15 minutes. I type as slowly as I "run".

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#256 of 855 Old 12-09-2007, 12:01 AM

Whew. I am wiped. I managed to run the race this morning. Make E a teething doll (pics to follow at some point), lasagna for dinner, and then the absolutely most gorgeous bag ever for dd for Christmas. Oh and I got all my cards finished, put all the relatives presents together (made face clothes to go with soaps; bags for the kids with pretty appliques and their names in fabric paint; treasure island books for the boys)....I'm pooped.
#257 of 855 Old 12-09-2007, 12:50 AM

BBM - that is some day, lady! congrats on the race - speedy is right!

callie - whew 18 miles. can't even imagine it. since i only run 3ish miles at a time right now, every bit counts [or not] on the treadmill.i suppose if i was up around 18 miles i would not care about the difference so much

cheryl ann -great to have you back on the thread, although i know where you've been hanging out so i feel caught up with you

today i took the kids to see a play at the childrens theatre - it was
'junie b. jones and a little monkey business'. remember mr swoon guy who was my son's theatre camp leader? he was in it and was awesome [not surprised]. i feel like i want to take in more theatre in my life. i wish i had that kind of talent!

tomorrow is crazy but i am determined to get my holiday cards done!

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#258 of 855 Old 12-09-2007, 01:08 AM

Po7 -- your avatar made me laugh out loud in a big, bad way. You are SO DARN FUNNY! It took me a couple beats to figure out what it was, but it was worth it.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#259 of 855 Old 12-09-2007, 11:17 AM

At po7's avatar!

Do you all see that new treehugger smiley? Too cute. (

Today's dd's family party and my broccoli soup is still a frozen block. Guess the thawing didn't go so well. Ack.

#260 of 855 Old 12-09-2007, 11:24 AM

hello all! yesterday i had a craft show and did an amazing amount of business. I sold out of a lot of what I brought (should have brought more) and made double what I did at the show last year and double what I made at my show last weekend. woohoo! this puts me so much closer to paying my bills.

Shanti - I totally understand you about having to wait until the next paycheck to get special things. we're often that way with groceries.

getting ready to go up to the mountain. K has his first snowboard lesson. they have a program for local preschoolers that's three hours long in the morning, so I have to get him there for that.

talk to you guys later!
#261 of 855 Old 12-09-2007, 12:33 PM

the treehugger smilie - I like that...

Shantimama and grnmtnmama - I had to wait this last month to buy groceries. I hate living paycheck to paycheck.

I plan on a slow 5 miler after church today. I likely won't get to run m, t, and w b/c there's rain in the forecast...but dh is on vaca starting thurs, so I should definitely get a run in th and f.

po7 - is your avatar a burley with a wreath?
#262 of 855 Old 12-09-2007, 01:32 PM

Quote:
po7 - is your avatar a burley with a wreath?
It is her decorated hose!

Mandy - I'm so glad the craft show went fabulously! I hope DS's snowboarding lesson goes well. We were supposed to go up to Solitude today (my first time) but we'll have to wait another week.

I sat down last night and wrote pages of affirmations. Here's hoping it helps with some problems I'm having. Sigh. But running and lifting are going well. I wanted to get 5 days in last week, but one of them changed to xc skiing... It is still a workout, but I keep worrying about not getting my 5th run in. Oh well.

Must silence barking dog. Have a great day!

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
#263 of 855 Old 12-09-2007, 01:49 PM

: I love it!

Monica - You got that 5th cardio workout in. You're doing alright, lady!

Mandy - I am so glad your craft show went well. I know that if I perused all of your stuff and had it in front of me to smell.. it would be bad for my wallet but good for yours. The things I just got in the mail from you were Christmas presents, but I may keep a soap and chapstick for myself. I just can't help it! They are too yummy!

Our company party went off without a hitch. Most of our food we made was gone, people mingled, and they even played games. My mom tried guitar hero for cripe's sakes. How embarrassing! :P At one point she stopped playing and started to sing to Mississippi Queen then we all laughed and she got booed off stage. It was funny!

Whew! Today I am going to run and lift to finish off my Christmas Challenge! WooHoo! Then I really need a nap.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#264 of 855 Old 12-09-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by towsonmama View Post
Do you all see that new treehugger smiley? Too cute. (
I am sooooo excited they finally approved that!! We have been waiting like a year for it!

Yall are not going to believe this, but yours truly started the thread/petition to request a tree hugging smilie and then MDCer NewCrunchyDaddy made it!!

off to put it in my sig....
::::

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#265 of 855 Old 12-09-2007, 02:34 PM

I just have to say once more that I am so impressed by the women on this thread. I looked at Monikita's knitting blog and have seen other crafty knitting soap making dingo's.

I am going to do a Yoga/Pilates workout today. Hopefully a run tomorrow, if the weather cooperates. I am still high after my four miles yesterday. I feel like I really am a runner again after years of saying I used to be a runner.

Monikita did I ask you before if you have a source for your affirmations? I have been listening to a mediation cd before bed and while I sleep. It is not connected with the secret but the name is the secret universal mind meditation. I tend to substitute more Christian language although I don't believe she says anything that contradicts Christianity, it just make me more comfortable. I am using it to bring abundance in my work. I think it has been helping.
#266 of 855 Old 12-09-2007, 02:43 PM

Hi.. new to this group but thought I'd drop in...
Had the best run this morning... 8 miles, no stopping and i felt GREAT at the end. This is the longest i've ever run (prior max was 6.5) and the first time since motherhood that I actually felt like a runner again... Trying to make one of my lifetime goals of running a half-marathon in February doesn't seem so impossible now!

mildly crunchy mama to E (2006) and D (2011)
#267 of 855 Old 12-09-2007, 03:22 PM

Is there a dragging yourself here smilie? Mamas, I have been sick. Fever kind of sick. It has been pretty awful. Whenever I cough, it feels like my head is going to explode. I think that the fever is coming down. I just woke up for the billionth time this morning (I would wake up, then feel so miserable, I would just go back to sleep) and I felt a bit more normal, and I was completely drenched in sweat. Does that mean the fever broke? I haven't been this kind of sick in such a long time.

Dh has the kids in the city for Christmas shopping. I was too sick to knit yesterday, maybe I can try again today. I just wish that my lower back wouldn't ache so much. It is awful!!

Callie, : : : That's awesome! A year? Things don't move too quick around here, huh?
#268 of 855 Old 12-09-2007, 03:46 PM

Ugh, Moonshine. Sorry you're sick. I'm kinda sick, but not that bad. Just enough to play hooky from church and study my butt off. I feel like I don't know ANYTHING very well for my final tomorrow. It's not pretty. All the most complicated joints are on this test -- foot/ankle, shoulder, hands... and we zoomed through them so fast in class. Ugh ugh ugh.

But I'm trying to think of something affirming to say as well as recognize that I just need to focus really well today and stay relaxed. And I'll get my minimum required grade and move on.

Hooray for the Treehugger petitioner!

#269 of 855 Old 12-09-2007, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Whew. I am wiped. I managed to run the race this morning. Make E a teething doll (pics to follow at some point), lasagna for dinner, and then the absolutely most gorgeous bag ever for dd for Christmas. Oh and I got all my cards finished, put all the relatives presents together (made face clothes to go with soaps; bags for the kids with pretty appliques and their names in fabric paint; treasure island books for the boys)....I'm pooped.
Yes, you are a speedster, on the run and at home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnmtnmama View Post
hello all! yesterday i had a craft show and did an amazing amount of business. I sold out of a lot of what I brought (should have brought more) and made double what I did at the show last year and double what I made at my show last weekend. woohoo! this puts me so much closer to paying my bills
. Nice job! You must be so proud of yourself!

:

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#270 of 855 Old 12-09-2007, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
Is there a dragging yourself here smilie? Mamas, I have been sick. Fever kind of sick. It has been pretty awful. Whenever I cough, it feels like my head is going to explode. I think that the fever is coming down. I just woke up for the billionth time this morning (I would wake up, then feel so miserable, I would just go back to sleep) and I felt a bit more normal, and I was completely drenched in sweat. Does that mean the fever broke? I haven't been this kind of sick in such a long time.
Sounds like we have the same bug : I begged for some kid free sleep this morning to try to sleep of some of the horribleness, but woke up to pandemonium. The 100 lb dog broke her leash and took off with the 80 lb dog who jumped the fence. Not good at all. We live on such a busy road right now, with tons of horse farms. I get frantic when they take off, but felt too feverish to go drive around looking for them. So I made dh . He found them in the middle of the road barking at cars a quarter mile down the road over an hour later. On one hand, thank goodness, but on the other hand, this can never ever happen again. I am so thankful they are okay. Okay, will crawl back to the couch now.

the new :!

Also loving PO7's avatar!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page