2008 is Great for Dingos! Running mamas January thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 1284 Old 01-02-2008, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Serial Poster :

Modmom, are you doing the shamrock shuffle? 'Cause I am thinking of signing up if they aren't sold out. I missed it last year. Can't remember if you are still local, but saw that you are doing an 8K in march...

OK, Back to work for REAL.
#62 of 1284 Old 01-02-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balancin1 View Post
Eks, I totally give a placenta about your placenta. (I sure hope that makes sense/is somewhat funny to anyone else besides just me...)
BWAH!

I'm glad my : now kindly provides instead of the it had been generating.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#63 of 1284 Old 01-02-2008, 02:12 PM

Eks - You can put me on the list for the 5K Sweetheart Run for February 9th. Keep that list growing!

B1 - Way to go getting the gym before work!!

HBM - I'm craving a good yoga session. Sorry it's so cold by you. : Hopefully you get out there soon.

I'm off to wake up my DH so we can go to the Y. Treadmill here I come.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#64 of 1284 Old 01-02-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balancin1 View Post

Eks, I totally give a placenta about your placenta.
SNORT! Hah, I get it! That's hysterical.

OK, forgot to use multi-quote, so I need to go back and finish reading the thread now.

ETA: OK, I'm back! Didn't realize how far down the thread I was already. Have dropped the kiddo off to play with friends today and I am going to put away laundry, mail some belated Xmas packages, and generally relax/knit whatever.

Plady, go you on the EMT plans! That's super exciting! As soon as you get a firm date for your journey through SpoKompton (one of the many "affectionate" local nicknames for my town), let me know so I can clear my calendar.

And that's pretty much it. Am boring. Didn't sleep too well last night. I stayed up too late knitting, then within an hour of going to bed (during which I didn't sleep much anyway), Geneva woke up and was unhappy for a while. Which sends me into a kinda negative adrenaline cycle and makes sleep even more elusive. But she woke up in a really great mood, so that's good.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#65 of 1284 Old 01-02-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLove View Post
We had friends over until 6am playing Rockband and Halo 3 last night.
OMG. Are you in college? I must be old because holy c**p that's crazy to me. It doesn't even sound fun. I'm old. Yep. I was in bed at 11pm on NYE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Happy New Years! We celebrated at Janessa's house last night --lots of junk food, knitting, and good chatting. My family toasted Iceland's new years and went to bed early. I understand that the party went much later.
sounds so fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Due January 25, never carried past 38 weeks.

Just call me the chief stalker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantimama View Post
I need to be accountable somewhere so I will say it here - I need to quilt and knit at least 75% of the stash of yarn and fabric I currently have before I can buy any more. I will allow myself to buy backing fabric, but nothing else. I need to move this stuff out of my house, and no one wants to buy fabric and yarn, they want quilts and cool stuff so I need to get making it, right? Such a simple concept, so hard for me to make it happen. Sigh
Once you get in the groove of not buying anything you'll be just fine. It's the breaking of the habit that is the hardest IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by modmom View Post
Wanted to post a snowy non-stop 4 mile run!!!
WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollysMom View Post
Just wanted to let any potential stalkers know that I am still here and the baby was kind enough to stay put until 2008 (I really wanted Rachel and the baby to be two school years apart for paying for post secondary education purposes )
LOL. Move to Duluth, Minnesota -- we have friends who have a daughter with a sept. bday. She was reading at 5, clearly ready for school, etc. But you can't start kindy unless you're 5 on sept. 1 -- our school district is pretty pissy about it. So friends moved back to Canada and their daughter ended up skipping kindy and going right to grade 1. The school district here will be getting my own daughter who wasn't able to skip a grade but can read at (guessing here) 2nd grade level + do simple math.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs_BK View Post
Well, time to knit. I am making these with Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran. They're going to be a bit loose on me, but still cute.
swoon.

back later for my own personal posting.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#66 of 1284 Old 01-02-2008, 03:56 PM

RR: ran a little over 5 miles this morning and got a lot of stuff done. I'm feeling a lot better already and glad to have my life back. Need to fit in some other exercises later today which should be easy as they each only take a few minutes. Been trying to play with the kids as they start back up to school tomorrow.

KR: started on a hat for me, not sure the color is what I want though (it was from what I had in my stash), so when I'm done I may give it away and make another for me (if I end up liking the pattern). Waiting on needles to arrive so I can start on some socks, my true love.
#67 of 1284 Old 01-02-2008, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
RM - I love the hat pattern - that wil be a good way to use up some of my stash!

My lower back is killing me today after the work in the basement yeterday. I took the kids for a long walk but I won't try running until it stops hurting like this.
#68 of 1284 Old 01-02-2008, 04:59 PM

So modmom - does that mean you want to run that half with us? If not, we still need to come up with a meet up plan some time.

I'm hoping to just run short today. I don't feel too bad after blasting out those 6 miles last night in a fit of aggravation. I ran them at 10 min pace, at a 1% grade, without stopping - the longest I've run since Sept. 23! I do have some chaffing, though - I have to remember the body glide if I'm going to run more than 4 or so. I love the automatic warm up and cooldown button on my treadmill, too. It automatically does a 5 minute warm up and cooldown which you can easily add on to any work out and it's nice to have it built in to my work out.

eksmom - speaking from recent personal experience, I don't think that placenta smiley looks at all like a rat's a$$. At least our rats hineys are much cuter!

RM - nice to see you back posting. Running is good for anxiety! I think I'm out for Indy this year, but we can be virtual training partners as the half I'm considering is the same day, just closer to home.
#69 of 1284 Old 01-02-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjen View Post
eksmom - speaking from recent personal experience, I don't think that placenta smiley looks at all like a rat's a$$. At least our rats hineys are much cuter!
Huh. I guess of all of us you might be in the very best position to compare placentas and rats' a$$es.

#70 of 1284 Old 01-02-2008, 05:44 PM

B1 Yes it is the Shamrock Shuffle. We just registered yesterday. It gets really crowded. I did my first one back in 94 it is a really fun race-you get beer when your done.

DrJen- I wish, I am pretty intimidated by the 10 miler on May 24th (I think) but who knows maybe if I kick it into gear it may be more of a possibility.
#71 of 1284 Old 01-02-2008, 06:44 PM

posting some goals, hoping that sharing will help me keep on track.
here goes:
(1) 3 workouts a week. not too picky about the specifics, but making them real work.
(2) killer abs by june. a strong core that won't be too quick to leave me.
(3) come autumn, a lovely trail race. (hoping for 13m, but i know i need to watch the knee.)

happy running, dingos!

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#72 of 1284 Old 01-02-2008, 07:28 PM

Race list updated to here!

#73 of 1284 Old 01-02-2008, 07:48 PM

Maybe this is old news, but I thought it was cool when I read today that the song Hey There Delilah is based on a real Delilah who is a runner (and gorgeous)...

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#74 of 1284 Old 01-02-2008, 09:53 PM

our race list is looking gooooood!

kate-mom - that race sounds so cool - was it at midnight? i can't remember

jooj - i miss yours/reb's long run reports. hopefully all that travel is not wearing her down. besides all that, i'll be sending you all sorts of posi-vibes for your new project, whatever that may be.

hollysmom - good to see you and :

towsonmama - yay! you're baaaaaack! awesome.

cherylann - wowza that is some race schedule! we could have used some of your dh's party mojo at that party i went to the other night! sounds like fun

RM - you sound great, so i wish lots of healing for you in the new year.

tjsmama - ouch!! hope you're not too bruised up - feeling ok today?

who had the arm numbness thing? i can't find the post. anyway - hope it all worked out. i was thinking pinched nerve or something.

i ran 4 miles on the treadmill yesterday [stop and start due to lots of interruptions] and am looking forward to hitting the road tomorrow or friday. it needs to warm up first, though!

dh leaves for two weeks on saturday two trade shows, back to back. ugh. right when my semester gets rolling - always bad timing but i just gotta power through. i am teaching two new classes again, so i have lots of prep to do and will be working hard at it all semester long.

: its cold here in tennessee!brr

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#75 of 1284 Old 01-02-2008, 11:47 PM

Brrrr.... it's nasty cold here in Indiana too. I don't think we got above 11 degrees today, and it was a whopping 4 when I woke up! I am totally recovered from that odd fever thing last night and even made it to the Y this evening for 30 minutes on the elliptical and another 10 on the TM . Tonight I'm full of energy ~ DH just asked me what kind of fever I had last night because he apparently thinks I should get it more often.... funny guy.

For the race list ~ I just registered for an indoor/outdoor tri on January 26th (swim 1/2 mile in the pool, then spinning for 13 miles, followed by 3.1 miles in the frigid Indiana outdoors).

I must quickly add this quote from my DH, who was just out in the garage for a few minutes attempting to work on a project ~ "Skip that. It's $%#^ing freezing out there, Mr. Bigglesworth!"

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#76 of 1284 Old 01-03-2008, 12:32 AM

add us to the list of the freezing! : the windchill was 10 when i went for a run at 4:30. most of me was totally cozy, but my FACE! ow. going to the running store tomorrow to at least pick up a mouth/nose mask thingie.

tomorrow am when i leave with the kids for school? 2 degrees. perhaps we'll get a delay? they did that last year, which i thought was a little silly, but i'm not complaining!

jaygee - at my college during my senior year, there was a similar tri - i didn't do it, but it looked like a blast!

poppy - yep, at midnight, complete with fireworks and champagne!

kanga - are you still in my neck of the woods? for your fall trail run, are you doing one of ron horn's? he's a BLAST!
#77 of 1284 Old 01-03-2008, 01:27 AM

I am feeling better, poppy, thanks for asking! I skipped running yesterday and today, partly because I was sore and partly because the weather sucked. I ended up with a fabulous bruise on my hip, a small one on my wrist, sore tricep, and a stiff neck. Not too bad, considering how hard I fell! Hopefully will get out tomorrow morning for my last DS-less run for a while, since we fly home tomorrow afternoon.

Whoever it was with the arm numbness...may just be tight muscles compressing on your nerves. Especially if you haven't run for awhile and you weren't very relaxed and your form was stiff.

So, between you ladies here and a couple of IRL friends, I'm kind of contemplating throwing a half into the mix. Two of my friends are running one on April 5. Since running is the hardest thing for me, I'm kind of thinking that if I can do a half, then an olympic distance tri later this summer would be a breeze, huh? I'm just scared about having to commit to the actual training. As things go now, I don't have a set workout schedule. I run when I want, I go to spin class when I want, I swim when I want, and if my friends want to go hiking, snowshoeing, or just to the mall, I do that. Especially since I have to take DS with me when I run, and I don't like to get him out of bed in the morning so I can workout (he's a late sleeper usually). What do you think, ladies?

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#78 of 1284 Old 01-03-2008, 03:12 AM

Just chiming in to say, first, that your DH cracks me up, JayGee. My husband does a mean Dr. Evil impression, too... sigh. Marriage to a funny man RAWKS.

Second, add "Once" to your Netflix queue. DO IT NOW. DOOOO ITTTTT. We just finished it and I feel like a better person for having seen it. And I am now downloading the soundtrack from iTunes.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#79 of 1284 Old 01-03-2008, 12:52 PM

ugh got word this morning that my cousin's 3 month old sweet baby was admitted to the hospital last night w/ vomiting and diarrhea. he's bf so parents are camped out at the hospital but he just tosses it up whenever she feeds him. please wing some healing vibes up to the chicago area.

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#80 of 1284 Old 01-03-2008, 01:05 PM

triumph of the year: went out for a don't think, just ski ski on the 1st. Yay me!

big fat of the 2008:

last night, get home from work and returning several gifts. Think I'll take the girlies for a little ski. Soooooo -- get all 3 of us dressed for the weather, get the little girl into the van with the plan that big girl + dad will drive separately and park at the top of the loop. I will park at the bottom of the loop. I will ski with sled the entire loop and catch up to the youngest skiing member of the family at the bottom (where my van is). All is going well. Until the key broke off in the ski box containing my skis and the skis that go with the baby jogger/sled contraption. urgh. All the work, none of the payoff.

This morning dh luckily went out there and got the key out. We have a spare key. I'm taking the girls and going skiing after work today. speaking of which I must jet and get this section of my paper done done done.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#81 of 1284 Old 01-03-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppywise View Post
ugh got word this morning that my cousin's 3 month old sweet baby was admitted to the hospital last night w/ vomiting and diarrhea. he's bf so parents are camped out at the hospital but he just tosses it up whenever she feeds him. please wing some healing vibes up to the chicago area.
Thinking of your cousin and the babe

Well I don't have much to post since my body feels like it is 100 years old and running is the last thing on my mind. I told the Dr today how much more uncomfortable I am this time and he chuckled and said "takes its toll doesn't it" I really like him because he is very straighforward, but that might be a little too honest. I honestly don't know how people who have ten kids do it.

Anyway, no update. Just waiting.....

#82 of 1284 Old 01-03-2008, 03:14 PM

Poppy - thinking about that poor babe and sending healing prayers their way

Hollysmom - I am so excited about the dingo lurk, but I wish you were more comfortable

tjs - you should definitely sign up!! You have plenty of time, and as long as you are consistently doing a long run every week, you can mix up the other runs with your other workouts and fit them in as your schedule permits...

RR: did 2 miles easy, 3 mile tempo, 1.5 miles easy yesterday; the easy felt soooooooo slow and weird... I think I am getting taper madness...

#83 of 1284 Old 01-03-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post
ISo, between you ladies here and a couple of IRL friends, I'm kind of contemplating throwing a half into the mix. Two of my friends are running one on April 5. Since running is the hardest thing for me, I'm kind of thinking that if I can do a half, then an olympic distance tri later this summer would be a breeze, huh? I'm just scared about having to commit to the actual training. As things go now, I don't have a set workout schedule. I run when I want, I go to spin class when I want, I swim when I want, and if my friends want to go hiking, snowshoeing, or just to the mall, I do that. What do you think, ladies?
I think you should do it . I am the same way about signing up for races. Last night I had all of the information typed in to sign up for the Accenture Chicago Tri (Olympic distance, in August) and then balked and didn't press submit.

Quote:
Just chiming in to say, first, that your DH cracks me up, JayGee. My husband does a mean Dr. Evil impression, too... sigh. Marriage to a funny man RAWKS.
Totally agree . Even if it's often like being married to a 12 year old in a 44 year old man's body .

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
This morning dh luckily went out there and got the key out. We have a spare key. I'm taking the girls and going skiing after work today.
Bummer. I hope today's ski is fun and successful for you and the girls.

I went to the Y and swam 1800m this morning. Felt great. I really like swimming, I just hate all the crap on either end of the workout (ie. getting changed, showering, drying hair, etc.)

Someone kick me in the fanny and make me register for that Oly distance tri!!!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#84 of 1284 Old 01-03-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjen View Post

RM - nice to see you back posting. Running is good for anxiety! I think I'm out for Indy this year, but we can be virtual training partners as the half I'm considering is the same day, just closer to home.
The Indy mini website states that there will be transfers available some time this month... but I'll take virtual training no matter what half you run!

Quote:
RM - you sound great, so i wish lots of healing for you in the new year.
THanks Poppy, that made me feel . I'm still dealing with some stuff but on the road to healing. Thank you for the healing wishes!!!! You're a sweetie!

Okay after hours (literally) on the RW website training log, I put in all my mileage from last year. With time off for sickness, and about two months off for injury, I came in at total yearly mileage of 1,419.2 (goal was 1,200 ) and 181 runs??? Having some trouble navigating but just don't have any more time for the computer right now.

No RR for me today due to: DS3 came in bed with us at 2am then I coulnd't fall back asleep, and at 3AM DS2 came in with bad ear ache. I was up with him until 4:30am or so, then slept off and on on the floor next to his bed until it was time to get DS1 to school. At doctor;s office, his ear drum had ruptured. Poor guy. His pain just started at 7pm last night. He's sleeping right now.

Did some PT exercises and getting ready to do some abs.
#85 of 1284 Old 01-03-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
Someone kick me in the fanny and make me register for that Oly distance tri!!!
I know of a race list that is begging for an Oly distance tri to be added to it! : You can totally do it!

#86 of 1284 Old 01-03-2008, 03:47 PM

Happy New Year All!

For all of you who posted about the sub freezing temps in the mid-west. Thanks for sending it over to us in New England: My little weather bug says it's 8.9F outside.

I haven't been running all that much due to the holidays and all that it entails. For the times that I really needed to get out and run, the sidewalks have been overrun with snow. My only time that I can run is after dark and you do not want to run along the roads in my town. Too many drunks. My iPod is getting lonely. So I've been an absolute slug for the last thirty days or so.

Target was having a sale on yoga mats. Dh caved and finally let me get one. My 4 yo dd and I tried it out using one of the On Demand videos on cable. She gets so into it. I think I'm going to have to get her a mat too. Last night we tried Zen in your Den. It was much more challenging than the PM Yoga DVD I was using.

For the Knitting Dingos: I casted on and am about 5 inches into knitting a carrier for my new yoga mat. It's a Sugar n' Cream cotton print yarn.

I'm also decluttering and found that I don't have to throw away my running shoes! I'm sure this has been mentioned somewhere here before, but if you haven't seen it, check out how you can recycle your running shoes:
http://www.letmeplay.com/reuseashoe/program

Stay warm.
#87 of 1284 Old 01-03-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdabbler View Post
I'm also decluttering and found that I don't have to throw away my running shoes! I'm sure this has been mentioned somewhere here before, but if you haven't seen it, check out how you can recycle your running shoes:
http://www.letmeplay.com/reuseashoe/program
This is perfect timing! I just resolved to declutter all my old running shoes... they even have a drop point at the rec center where I work out!

#88 of 1284 Old 01-03-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicocj View Post
Maybe this is old news, but I thought it was cool when I read today that the song Hey There Delilah is based on a real Delilah who is a runner (and gorgeous)...
I love that song.

Quote:
dh leaves for two weeks on saturday two trade shows, back to back. ugh. right when my semester gets rolling - always bad timing but i just gotta power through. i am teaching two new classes again, so i have lots of prep to do and will be working hard at it all semester long.
I hope you manage alright. It stinks when dhs leave for so long. Stay Warm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
Brrrr.... it's nasty cold here in Indiana too. I don't think we got above 11 degrees today, and it was a whopping 4 when I woke up! I am totally recovered from that odd fever thing last night and even made it to the Y this evening for 30 minutes on the elliptical and another 10 on the TM . Tonight I'm full of energy ~ DH just asked me what kind of fever I had last night because he apparently thinks I should get it more often.... funny guy.
I'm glad you feel better now.

Quote:
My dh's best impression is Scooby Doo(he loves to give a voice to the dog's facial expressions )....followed by a Shaggy, Ross Perot, and GWB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
All the work, none of the payoff.
That totally sucks! Something like that would make me nutz. I hope you get a great ski in despite the set back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollysMom View Post
Well I don't have much to post since my body feels like it is 100 years old and running is the last thing on my mind. I told the Dr today how much more uncomfortable I am this time and he chuckled and said "takes its toll doesn't it" I really like him because he is very straighforward, but that might be a little too honest. I honestly don't know how people who have ten kids do it.

Anyway, no update. Just waiting.....
I hope the time passes quickly for you. I'm sure you can't wait to meet your new little one! Oh...every pregnancy is different. My first pregnancy kicked my @ss and I was only 20.....pregnancy with baby #5 was a total breeze even though she was 10+ lbs.....you never know.

Today my oldest dd has her bff here for a playdate. They are outside now digging a hole to china. I might try to sneak away to the Y to a little weight training. I ran 3 yesterday, and I wan't to take today off for a LR on Saturday....maybe 10.

Stay warm everybody! :
#89 of 1284 Old 01-03-2008, 04:03 PM

It's freezing here too. According to the weather, it feels like 1*. : I'm glad I got that gym membership. I wish I could take my dog for a walk on the treadmill now.

JayGee ~ Sign up!

Hollysmom ~ I'm thinking about you and I can't wait for another Dingo lurk!

kerc ~ I hope the ski tonight makes up for last nights bummer.

I lifted legs at the gym last night and spent 25 minutes on the treadmill. I ran a mile and walked the other. I don't know why but treadmills tire me out so much faster. Maybe it's in my head.

Back to cleaning and laundry and all that fun stuff.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#90 of 1284 Old 01-03-2008, 04:08 PM

Now is probably not a good time to say that it is going to be 70 degrees here today :

Jenlove - I'm at the thought of you walking on one TM and your dog walking on one next to you...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page