2008 is Great for Dingos! Running mamas January thread - Page 43 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-31-2008, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
MDC ate my post too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
The best was recently I saw a mother bfing as she rode on the back of a motorcycle.
At least she was bfing, right? I mean, she could have been formula feeding on the back of a motorcycle! :

3.5 pretty good miles on the tm for RunningMommy! Mostly at 10 min pace, but dropped my last half mile down to 9:30, then 9 min. Everytime I started thinking about how much it sucked, I told myself that I wasn't doing it for me and it gave me a little boost!

And 800m in the pool for my dingo sisters just because!

kerc~did you get my pm about the yahoo group?

Tomorrow's an official rest day for me, although I shouldn't take it since I didn't do anything yesterday. But, DS is starting a new class in the morning and we're having a mini bday celebration for one of my friends after so I don't see any exercise happening. But, I'm going skiing on Saturday and calling it cross-training! And then 5 miles on Sunday, woohoo...

Jaygee and towsonmama~ so funny about people always using the same machines. I definitely have "my" bike at spin class and it feels so weird if I don't get there early enough to get it. It almost throws off my class a little because the resistance on each bike adjusts just a little differently. The guy that's always to my left was on my right on Monday and it was just plain weird the whole time! But to the oldster who berated you, Jaygee! That's just rude...he doesn't OWN the machine! BTW, I totally understand the oldsters...while there are a lot of moms with kids at my Y, there's a pretty big proportion of oldsters, too. I'm usually the youngest person at spin by a good 10 years, I'd say. And I'm 31, so not THAT young!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 01-31-2008, 08:38 PM

I am kind of here thinking about the lack of car seat/safety in my very own redneck hometown... every time I go home I almost die at the shock of seeing the 5 kids standing in the front seat of a pickup truck as it barrels along the back roads, with the shotguns hanging on the gun racks : But then again where I am from is almost like a foreign country

Jo - I hope you had an amazing day off!

I thought of you today bc DH and I both played hooky from work - it is our anniversary - to hike Camelback mountain this AM and then go to lunch. Man, my calves are killing me now from the hiking/climbing/scrambling! But the funny part is that while we were struggling up the mountain, we got passed by some woman walking her dog and drinking starbucks

That will be my workout for the day which is good because my run yesterday was not so great...

to everyone, I've got all the dingos on my mind today with everything going on with health, etc!

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
Old 01-31-2008, 08:40 PM

I : the Dingos!

Y'all are too much. I came home just now to a mysterious package in my mailbox. That blanket is too cool!!! I had no idea a print like that existed! The other side of it is sooo soft too, I cannot wait to snuggle this boy in it. Y'all are so awesome. Thank you! You made my day. I can't wait to show it to DH when he gets home. EK has already grabbed the cloth w/ the baseball print (which DH will ) and covered up one of her nekkid baby dolls with it. I'll have to claim it back before the night is over or DS will never get to use it.

THANK YOU!!!

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

Old 01-31-2008, 08:51 PM

For the record, i love the word "nekkid."

JayGee, Nevie is hanging in around 20 lbs at 19 months. She's not even on the weight chart anymore! She's about 30 1/2 inches tall. Anyway, WBV tomorrow so the D.O. can tell me stuff I already know, or tell me stuff to think about or ignore.

As far as smoothies, I was just thinking silken tofu, yogurt & avocado. Maybe some whole milk or apple juice to thin it out.

OK, I've not been studying for a couple hours now. I'm at home now (it only takes ONE classmate studying in the room with me to lose ALL focus and chat instead!), and I stopped at REI on the way home to browse around a bit. Scored some good warm pants for Nevie on sale. Sooooo... back to it, eh? Or... naptime?

And to the oldster at the gym, I only say "Poo poo on you!" Man, some people should never retire. They need people to boss around all the time.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:06 PM

A few quick things:

Plady, I will run two miles for Wendy, because as Zoe would say, she's two. .

Megs, Nora will be two end of feb, and she is 21 lbs. With her shoes on. She still nurses a ton at night, is offered food all day long, and is just a tiny bird. Of course, I have this strange mama guilt that it is somehow related to puking for 9 mos while pregnant, but my mom assures me that I was equally off the growth charts at that age. , I always fall back on the kids don't pretend to be healthy thing.

RR: Ran 4.3 today

Must go! Thinking of all the Dingoes!
Old 01-31-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguacates View Post

Plady - I am going to run 2 Saturday as well for Wendy and for you mama

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
Old 01-31-2008, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
Geo - Does E like smoothies? I've been very happy with some tofu/soy milk smoothies I've been making for myself recently in an effort to get more non-dairy protein in.
See, feeding Mr Vacuum is never a problem. The problem is K, whose diet is made up of 16 foods. Her only major source of protein is string cheese. If we want to cut it out of E's diet, then it will be easiest to not have it be an option to anyone in his presence.

Maybe we can try smoothies in K's Protein Buffet to try on Saturday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
We may have an ice storm tonight, and my prenatal yoga got canceled because the teacher has the flu, so I am looking forward to hunkering down and knitting.
Same here, minus the prenatal yoga. I may have to cut back on knitting through. My hand fell asleep in the middle of my lecture today trying to write on the chalk board. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs_BK View Post
Am I starving my kid??? Gya. I offer her food at every meal and still nurse her for long periods at least 2X day. Sigh. Darn weight charts that have been corrupted by formula fed American babies! But I wonder if I should start offering avocado protein smoothies or something...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Also by Megs_BK View Post
JayGee, Nevie is hanging in around 20 lbs at 19 months. She's not even on the weight chart anymore! She's about 30 1/2 inches tall. Anyway, WBV tomorrow so the D.O. can tell me stuff I already know, or tell me stuff to think about or ignore.
Does she act hungry? Weak? 30.5 inches is TALL. Elliot is 26 months and is 28.5".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommabelle View Post
MDC ate my post too!
Ya know that if you hit the back button the Reply To Thread is still there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
I : the Dingos!

Y'all are too much. I came home just now to a mysterious package in my mailbox. That blanket is too cool!!! I had no idea a print like that existed! The other side of it is sooo soft too, I cannot wait to snuggle this boy in it. Y'all are so awesome. Thank you! You made my day. I can't wait to show it to DH when he gets home. EK has already grabbed the cloth w/ the baseball print (which DH will ) and covered up one of her nekkid baby dolls with it. I'll have to claim it back before the night is over or DS will never get to use it.

THANK YOU!!!
Picture?? Who from??

Karen's tooth is hanging from a thread!
Old 01-31-2008, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post
At least she was bfing, right? I mean, she could have been formula feeding on the back of a motorcycle! :
Well yeah, I've seen that too. It's just more typical.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 01-31-2008, 11:09 PM

Had a GREAT time with Reb today! We had noodles, did a little shopping, drank lots of coffee, and I replaced my running shoes. And, the running store takes old shoes now for a charity program, so I left my old ones there. Woo-hoo!

And before I did that, I had a GREAT run (only 7mi, which is long for me these days), and did some abs and pushups, so I felt awesome all day. Just wish I had more fuse for tonight. I still feel exasperated--more by my 6yo than my 4yo, which is not usually the case. We're going to have a quick dance party. Hoping that helps.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama View Post
Kate~mom - the pants and sweater thingy came yesterday! Love them! Dd is wearing them already Do you want me to send you some money for shipping?.
nah - don't worry about it. the poncho is a 4-5 but dd wore it until she was in 7s - it just gets shorter.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:48 AM

yahoogroup: we are the dingosmeet group. It's a moderated group but just put your username in your application email and you'll be in the loop. Gaye I did send an invite but maybe I munged up your address?

Height: Leah's 34 inches at 28 months.

Run report: I came home from work, too cold to ski (mostly because I had two kids and that would have entailed standing around a lot and waiting for dd1 to catch up). So I told the kids to get their snowsuits on, we picked up the skates I ran 0.5 miles to the park, we ice skated for 25 minutes and then ran 0.5 miles back home. Erin's actually skating, but Leah just "boot skates" -- holds onto the little hurdle shaped training thing and walks or runs across the ice in her boots. Very cute. I wish I could skate + take my camera along cause there's lots of cute shots to be had.

Oh, then I did another loop 0.25 miles -- with the dog + kids in jogger.

Now Erik's home from work and I sent him out for takeout. We have zip in the fridge that looks good and I'm starving.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 02-01-2008, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicocj View Post
I thought of you today bc DH and I both played hooky from work - it is our anniversary - to hike Camelback mountain this AM and then go to lunch. Man, my calves are killing me now from the hiking/climbing/scrambling! But the funny part is that while we were struggling up the mountain, we got passed by some woman walking her dog and drinking starbucks
Happy Anniversary, Callie! :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs_BK View Post
For the record, i love the word "nekkid."

Hee. I love the word "nekkid", too...although every time I hear/see it, I instantly get Justin Timberlake "Rock your Body" in my head (gonna have you nekkid by the end of this song...)

Megs, Tyler is a little guy, too. He was 23 lbs at 18 months, which put him at 15th percentile. That's actually the highest weight percentile he's been since about 4 months. He dropped off the charts and didn't get back on until a year (at less than 5th %) and has been steadily creeping up ever since. It was SUCH a relief when he got back on the chart. My ped was great the whole time (brought up the possibility of supplementing w/formula but totally backed off and was super supportive of trying to get my supply up instead when I said I didn't want to supplement), but I got lots of comments from other moms (as in "really? he's that old? but he's so small...) which was annoying. I actually had another mom in my hiking group ask me how much Tyler weighed after his one year appt (I think he was around 18 lbs) and when I told her, she bragged that her (formula-fed) 6 month old already weighed 23 lbs. Um, I don't think that's something to brag about... Hang in there, you're not alone on the small kiddo front!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguacates View Post
I don't think I'll be able to run on Saturday, but I will do 200 crunches (cuz 2 isn't a challenge!) for Wendy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
yahoogroup: we are the dingosmeet group. It's a moderated group but just put your username in your application email and you'll be in the loop. Gaye I did send an invite but maybe I munged up your address?
Nope, never got the invite, but I just went and requested membership. Yay! I love email! Thanks, Kristin!

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 02-01-2008, 11:31 AM

yay - i have time to update - we have an ice day today! started out with two hour delays everywhere, then em's school closed, then the two schools i was supposed to go to today, so we're all off. well, not dh, but he doesn't count this right here is why i love working in the schools - 99% of the time, i don't have to scramble for alternate child care if the schools close - or summers, etc.

anyway, i've been doing a lot of running in this freezing weather - trying to incorporate big hills into all of my runs in preparation for boston. have a ten planned for this weekend with the group, shorter than we would otherwise bc most of us are running the 10K on sunday. that race has great goodies - a sweatshirt for entering and a pint glass if you're in the top 100, which shouldn't be a problem, i think! last year, i also won a major g.c. to one of the running stores for an age group finish, so cross your fingers for a repeat this year! most of the women i run with are a little older, so i'm the only one in the 30-35 age group

i've gained some weight since the ultra - the time i took off afterwards did not treat me well - and i can feel the extra when i run. i need to lose about 5 pounds, which most would think is insane, but it has to be done.

the dissertation has maed forward progress finally - proposal to committee, meeting on dd's bday at the end of the month (that's good karma, right?). once i get the go-ahead, it is still in the realm of possibility that i can finish this year. even if i can't get it done in time for may, i can finish it over the summer and defend in the early fall so it's not hanging over my head for another year.

the kids are playing wonderfully in em's rm. i was talking with a friend of mine about her 4 and 7 year olds the other day, and thinking that it will be so nice to have to older kids in the near future, you know? i love babies and all, but i like them even more when they're interesting! two/three has been the turning point for me with both of my kids - from the yeah, you're a great kid, i love you lots, to the wow! you are an awesome person. i had a discussion yesterday with o (will be 3 in april) about how he thinks its mean for tigers to eat meat. they should eat tiger kibble, he says
Old 02-01-2008, 11:35 AM

oh - and add me to the tiny kid category - o is 34 months, 27 lbs (was 23 at a year, 25 at 2 - so progress but little), 36 inches (3 inches shorter than his sister at that age) and is *just growing out of some 18-24 mo clothing.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:45 AM

You lucky duck, Kate~mom! We were hoping for a snowday today, but DS just has a 2 hour delay. Still, we are all enjoying the slower pace of a delayed school start. Enjoy your day off! Oh, and I totally agree with you about slightly older kids. DS is 6 and just SO MUCH FUN, and so interesting and great to be with. DD1 is growing out of her terrible 3s, finally, so I'm getting ready to enjoy life with her a little more. Of course, DD2 is just now entering the obstinate, my-way-or-the-highway couple of years. I am truly looking forward to having 3 school aged kids. And good luck in your 10K this weekend ~ nice schwag!

Happy Anniversary, Callie!

I have one small kid and two bigger than average kids. DS was 30 lbs. on his first birthday! Now he's 6 and weighs 56 lbs. Always in the 95th for height and weight. He's not chunky, just very solid like his Papa .

I am so bummed. I missed my point goal for the January challenge by 6 minutes!!!!! I thought I was over, but after I entered my 60 minutes for yesterday, I came in at oly 894 points for the month. If I had a treadmill at home, I'd have jumped on that thing for a 6 minute jog, but alas, at 10pm there were no options to meet my goal. Oh well. I'm going for it again in February.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 02-01-2008, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The weather report Wednesday evening predicted 4" of ice for last night. Yesterday morning it was down to 2", and at the end of the day it was 1". We got some rain. THE WIMPS still delayed school, which cancels morning kindergarten, and it's very unclear what the afterschool care situation is then. (I've asked in the past, and the answer I got was that they never have a 2-hr delay that cancels am kindy.)

This was after I spent 45 minutes yesterday dealing with the idiots in DS's daycare administration. At one point I actually told her "I'm honestly shocked you can't handle this situation."

Sometimes I wonder if I'm in the wrong line of work.

See my blog for the followup of my report yesterday saying that "DD's tooth is hanging by a thread!"

JayGee, I would have been tempted to jog in place.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:53 AM

happy birthday kerc! :

i'm behind on everything, including my half training. must get in a run today, somehow.

it's time for a new thread too but i have to bolt to get ready for work

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

Old 02-01-2008, 11:56 AM

ab workout is done.

just starting to precipitate here, and the predictions are that it will be nasty here with snow then freezing rain and all sorts of fun stuff. preschool may close early but since we only go until 1 anyway i'm not that stressed about it. looking forward to heading home, cleaning up a little bit and watching K play with his toys. he's starting to expand his imagination and i love listening to him.

i totally agree with what you guys are saying about older kids.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:08 PM

Snow day here. I am still waiting to hear if the all day workshop I am attending is still on.

I love the older kids too. I am crazy about newborns but could not imagine going back with 10 (almost 11!), 7, and 4.

Kate mom what is the disertation in?

Okay Marathoners: When did you know you were ready? My running is going really well. The 10 miler in May seems a sure thing and I am thinking about Chicago in Oct. I am not sure how long it takes for them to fill up. Registration starts today but I am not ready to commit. Just looking for feedbak.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:38 PM

for anyone who is interested, I just posted a pdf file of my ab workout program on the yahoo group in the 'files' section. warning - it's big and if you print it out it'll take a lot of pages.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:52 PM

Drive-by posting to wish Kerc a very happy birthday!!! :

Old 02-01-2008, 01:13 PM

: My kids are in a new daycare situation today. They are at a friend's house for the morning although we can't reciprocate due to time so I'm paying her. I didn't want my kids to start in a new daycare unless it was in our school district because if we start someplace I want to stay there. i found a good place only they can't take both kids until May. Urgh. Anyhow I'm hoping it works for everyone.

Any little sibs for Holly yet?

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 02-01-2008, 01:17 PM

New thread here: February thread

User Tag List