2008 is Great for Dingos! Running mamas January thread - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1284 Old 01-01-2008, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome old dingos and new, runners, walkers, joggers woggers even dreamers of forward motion!
Everyone is welcome to come for inspiration, motivation and support for your forward motion goals here at the Dingo Cafe!

I'm all ready to go hit the track for my first run of '08, I just need dh to wake up and hold this really cute baby that's here with me.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#2 of 1284 Old 01-01-2008, 11:48 AM

Happy 2008 Dingos

I just love new years! Our anniversary is on the 30th of December this year hubby and I went to the Bears game and spent the night downtown! It was a blast.

I have spent this morning writing down my goals for 2008. I have also chosen a "power verse" from 2 Timothy 1:6-7 reminding myself that God has not given me a spirit of timidity but of Power, Love, and Self Discipline. This is powerful for me when I run because I often see myself as a quitier, I need to remember that these three things are indeed in me. Had a great run on the 29th back to four miles.

So far Hubby and I decided to sign up for an 8K in March and yikes a 10 miler in May. I am a little intimidated by that so I know I will be looking for support here.

Take Care, God Bless and a Happy Healthy Prosperous New Year to All
#3 of 1284 Old 01-01-2008, 12:24 PM

Subbing-enjoying one last day of dh being home. Will try and start a normal 2008 routine tomorrow.
Happy New Year, Y'all!

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#4 of 1284 Old 01-01-2008, 12:41 PM

Subbing!

Happy 2008!

We had friends over until 6am playing Rockband and Halo 3 last night. I must get some so I can stay awake to get my membership to the YMCA and see a friend back off to grad school.

to all!

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#5 of 1284 Old 01-01-2008, 12:55 PM

Happy New Year!

kate~mom, how did your race go?

I'm hoping to get in a x-country ski today as my first "run" for the new year. It's been "pouring" snow for 2 days now and I don't think I'll be driving anywhere. So my forward motion has to begin at the front door in deep snow.

We had a sweet evening with friends last night which consisted of my weak toddies (I like the idea of a drink more than the feeling of drinking.) Scrabble and games for the kids. I think all of our family & friends down South must be worried about us being snowed in b/c we rec'd books from everyone so today is going to be a book day all around. Which is my idea of a nice day to begin the year.

Have a wonderful First Day everyone!

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#6 of 1284 Old 01-01-2008, 01:22 PM

Happy New Year Dingos!

We had a great evening with the kids. We played dance dance revolution until 11:00pm and then we watched the ball drop in NYC before we went to bed.

I am going to attempt to run this afternoon. I can't decide how far though. I might have to wait until I get out there and see how I feel.
#7 of 1284 Old 01-01-2008, 01:22 PM

Hey, all! Thanks for the Bday wishes. You guys came through for me :-) PT school pals... not so much. Eh. Oh well. Next year they better pony up, cause that will be the big 3-0.

Stayed up through midnight watching Kathy Griffin standup on Bravo. She's way funnier as a standup than any other ouvre. I was suprised! Anyway... had much red wine and got some good sleep (not a cause/effect thing...).

There is talk of going out in search of a sled to pull Nevie around my parents' property (we stayed here last night)... hmmm... fun!

And now, off to search for another cup of coffee and to look and see if I can find the latest release of "My So-Called Life" on DVD, which I didn't even know about until yesterday. MAN!!!

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#8 of 1284 Old 01-01-2008, 02:06 PM

Megs ~ The latest release of MSCL?! I have the box set, so what's different about the new one? I that show!

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#9 of 1284 Old 01-01-2008, 02:32 PM

Happy new year dingos!

I had the best run I've had in a long time yesterday on the treadmill. I also registered for my half marathon, so there's no going back now! Last year, my running partner and I spent the night before the half at her in-laws' house, which was just a few blocks from the start--so nice and easy! I hope she wants to run the half again this year . . . .

DH and I went for a moonlit snowshoe just before midnight, then came home to pop open some Christmas crackers and a bottle of Martinelli's (woo, living dangerously!). The crackers were lame--no paper hats, dumb jokes, and crummy prizes!

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

#10 of 1284 Old 01-01-2008, 03:00 PM

Here's the race list... PM me if you'd like me to add something for you!

poppywise - Zoo Run 5K - Jan 26
JayGee - indoor/outdoor tri - Jan 26
kate~mom - Lehigh Valley Road Runners' Super Bowl Sunday 10K - Feb 3
aguacates - Mid-Winter 10 Mile Classic - Feb 3
babybugmama - Frostbite 5 - Feb 5
JenLove - 5K Sweetheart Run - Feb 9
HBM - Chattahoochee Challenge 10K - Feb 9
tjsmama - Chilly Cheeks Winter Duathlon #3 - Feb 16
Runningmommy - 10K -March 1
modmom - 8K - March
mamabeth - Cooper River Bridge Run 10K - April 5
tjsmama - Platte River Half Marathon - April 6
Runningmommy - 15K - April 12
party_of_seven - Davy Crockett Bear Chase Marathon - April 12
MonikitaUT - SLC Marathon - April 19
VeganCupcake - SLC Half Marathon - April 19
CherylAnn - Wenatchee Half Marathon - April 20
kate~mom - 112th Boston Marathon! - April 21
poppywise - Music City Half Marathon - April 26
Runningmommy - Indy Mini Marathon - May 3
mamabeth - Disney’s Women Run the World 15K - May 4
babybugmama and jgmommo - Flying Pig Marathon - May 4
modmom - 10 miler - May
doctorjen & Balancin1 - Palos Bank Half Marathon - May
grnmtnmama - Swimming Hole Sprint Triathalon - Early June
bec - half marathon - June
HBM & mamabeth - Peachtree Road Race (10K) - July 4
CherylAnn - Chelanman Multisport Weekend - half marathon July 19, sprint tri July 20
Kitsune6 - Northwest Passage Relay - July 25 & 26
JayGee - Accenture Chicago Triathlon (International Distance) - August 24

The Preggo Dingo List
HollysMom - January 25 (may need to stalk earlier )
eksmom - April 18
athansor
pumpkinseed
VeganCupcake - Sept 2
muppet729 - Sept 9

Dingo Recipe Blog - send me a PM with your email address if you'd like to be added so that you can post.

We also have a map so we can keep track of where everyone is located. You'll need to PM me for the info if you're interested.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#11 of 1284 Old 01-01-2008, 03:27 PM

Happy New Year Dingos!!

The January thread brings the return of the race list. Do I have all the preggo Dingos? If y'all feel like sharing due dates, let me know and I will add that info. It'll help with the stalking, you know.

DH and I wrote out our resolution this morning, which is basically to shift our entire schedule back by a couple of hours. We need to do everything earlier, be more consistent, and get more sleep. I'm afraid we are teaching EK the habit of lateness and that's one I really don't want to pass on to her.

As far as running goes for me in 2008, I can't set any specific yearly goals. I'm embarrassed to even say what my total 2007 mileage was. However, I hope that I get back to some kind of moderate (heck, I'd even settle for mild) exercise between now and April, and then I see C25K in my future as soon as I reasonably can postpartum. Maybe I could do a 5K before the year is out. I had some supply issues with DD and I wasn't exercising then, so that's one thing that's keeping me from making grand statements about what I will do. Still, plain and simple: I. miss. sweating.

Tomorrow I go back to full time work in the office. I am mostly glad, a little bit dreading it.

I know I had personals from the old thread, but I can't recall them right now and need to get off of here and back to doing chores anyway... hopefully later...

#12 of 1284 Old 01-01-2008, 03:27 PM

Okay so I went out for a long run this morning in the snow with my new ipod (I love it!). That said, please oh ipod gurus tell me what all you listen to...

One interesting occurrence on my run this morning was I kept getting buildup in my treads. Basically it was muddy enough that mud would get in there, but cold enough that then it would freeze. So I had many stops with a stick I just carried with me to dig it out, otherwise it felt like I was running on my tiptoes. Not a comfy feeling.

While running I came up with some goals for myself. A goal of 1000 miles for the year. Plank 3x a week, and do back exercises 3x a week. Drink at least 64oz of water a day. Run 5x a week with one long run and one speed workout. I am also toying with the idea of doing 9 races in the next year. The first one would be the "frostbite five" on Feb 3. Cool race name.

So there's my goals for the year. I'm gonna update my sig for that...
#13 of 1284 Old 01-01-2008, 03:35 PM

happy 2008 dingo sisters!

:lots of happy/healthy vibes for the coming year

eks - i'll pm you about my races - thanks for the list!

we went to a neighbor's house down the street and it was fun. i am feeling under the weather, but it's all above the neck with a little scratchy throat. i am due to run today so once my head stops hurting, i'll hit the treadmill.

incidentally, the woman who hosted last night is training for the disney marathon on jan 13. she's a real inspiration and is the one who ran the music city half last year and called me after, sounding so elated that i vowed to try it this year. anyway - she gave me all kinds of tips about running routes in our area and once i am up to 6 miles, is going to run it with me. she knows i like to run alone with my music but i am looking forward to having a running partner every once in a while. i won't be able to chat or anything, but it will be nice motivation, i think.

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#14 of 1284 Old 01-01-2008, 03:53 PM

rr~That's right--I have a running report again after my six week rehab!!! I'm back, baby! I ran an even 2 miles today in just over 20 minutes. It's a little slow for me but I can't complain after treating my body like cookie-fed veal for the past month and a half. The best part is my ankle didn't bother me at all. (Insert sigh of relief.)

jaygee~I'm on board for the sit-up/push-up portion of the workout challenge you posted. My push-ups today were pa-thetic. I guess that's the point though, right? Gotta have room for improvement. (And I have plenty.)

eks~Thanks for managing the race list. It's inspiring to see. Hopefully I'll have one to add soon.

Happy New Year, everyone!

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#15 of 1284 Old 01-01-2008, 03:58 PM

I have an OT question. I looked in Questions and Suggestions but didn't see anything and am too : to ask there.

Why does hale: say "Humans" and not "Whales"? I am so literal-minded, and one of EK's favorite topics of discussion is why the whales are endangered, so I was gonna show her the smiley but then got confused.

#16 of 1284 Old 01-01-2008, 04:09 PM

Happy New Years! We celebrated at Janessa's house last night --lots of junk food, knitting, and good chatting. My family toasted Iceland's new years and went to bed early. I understand that the party went much later.

BBM ~ ipod: I think This American Life is great to listen to for running. I also download the Diane Riem show, NPR Science Friday, Lime and Violet (crass knitting podcast), and the audio from Bill Maher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake View Post
DH and I went for a moonlit snowshoe just before midnight
Ohhh, that sounds lovely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
The Preggo Dingo List
HollysMom - January
Due January 25, never carried past 38 weeks.

Just call me the chief stalker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by towsonmama View Post
rr~That's right--I have a running report again after my six week rehab!!! I'm back, baby! I ran an even 2 miles today in just over 20 minutes.
Yeah! Yipee!

I've got my 16 week schedule printed out -- 215 miles by 4/20, plus strength exercises 2x/week. Must hop on treadmill soon.
#17 of 1284 Old 01-01-2008, 04:10 PM

Hey dingos, I have been trying to post but MDC keeps kicking me off, so this is a test...
#18 of 1284 Old 01-01-2008, 04:17 PM

I'm here and preggo! 9/9/7

Don't know how much running I'll get in....
#19 of 1284 Old 01-01-2008, 04:20 PM

Has anyone heard "shakin Dave's" show on npr monday nights 8 - 11? It's a blues show. I wish I could figure out a way to get it on tape, ipod...whatever.
#20 of 1284 Old 01-01-2008, 04:22 PM

Hey can I join? I'd love the extra motivation! I have a relay race coming up this summer and I'm also going to relay a triathlon with some girlfriends. I'm really excited to start running again.
#21 of 1284 Old 01-01-2008, 04:27 PM

Seriously, I have been trying and trying to post the last half of December, writing these looong replies, and when I hit the button, I get knocked out. Dang.

So, I got back on the wagon, food-wise, two days before today, so I'd be further into the whole good habit feeling by Jan One. It's good. I have decided to clean up the diet, first by drastically cutting the refined carbs and eliminating diet soda. I have also been craving quantities of hot stuff (as in habanero and "extra hot" indian chili powder), so I am going with it. Did a healthy stock-up trip to the supermarket, and once work and school are back in full swing, I'll be strategizing weekly meals somewhat in advance. These are things I have just really become lax with, and I am up a good 6-8 pounds over just a couple months.

In addition to eating better, I MUST run 4-5 times per week. Have to. Inertia is too strong to even flirt with. Momentum is my friend.

I have another, deeply personal goal for this year that I am declining to describe. I will share it when I have succeeded...this strategy worked with my massive weight loss, and I am hoping it helps with this objective for 2008. Just send me energy and trust everyone will win when I am through it. There is no bad involved, so no worries.

Reb and I were thinking about a 5K today. But we didn't do it. Not only is it really cold today, but dh is working on the upstairs tear-down. 2008 is the Year of Separate Bedrooms. Yeehaw. Just think of all the crosstraining in our future. They are stripping our entire second floor to the studs. Then wiring, insulating, hanging drywall...and soon after that, we'll have a 4-room upstairs in addition to the living space we have occupied over the past year. It'll almost feel like moving into a bigger house by the time it's ready!

I'll be running this afternoon yet, too. Probably around 2ish, so I can finish before barn chores. I am cooking a gigantic pot of beef round stew, which will include carrots, parsnips, onions and potatoes, too. I don't keep wine in the house--would cider vinegar be an OK sub?

Here's to a great year, Dingos!
#22 of 1284 Old 01-01-2008, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
That's great Jo! You have the most amazing house - I hope all the renos go as planned

bbm - I have lost my iPod : It got "tucked away" in a frenzied clean up one day last summer and I haven't seen it since. Someday I will find it but it hasn't happened yet. I am horrible for that kind of thing. My favourite running (or anything) music is Jesse Cook's album Montreal.

I don't know what my running goals fo this year are yet. I am terrible at making plans and as soon as they are set I rebel, so just going for it and keeping track of what I have done instead of planning what I will do running-wise will result in more miles.

I need to be accountable somewhere so I will say it here - I need to quilt and knit at least 75% of the stash of yarn and fabric I currently have before I can buy any more. I will allow myself to buy backing fabric, but nothing else. I need to move this stuff out of my house, and no one wants to buy fabric and yarn, they want quilts and cool stuff so I need to get making it, right? Such a simple concept, so hard for me to make it happen. Sigh
#23 of 1284 Old 01-01-2008, 04:43 PM

Mommabelle, It is not fun to be stressed on your vacation!!! I hope you can find a way to let the worry go. Do you have actual work to do for the madrigal, or is it all stuff that is waiting for you when you get home?

DrJen, excellent stats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post
Happy New Year to my new friends here! My big New Years resolutions are to try to live a little greener (I've been meaning to set up recycling for months but have just been too lazy to get around to it), continue with the path of self-fulfillment through fitness that I started this year, and to come through my relationship issues as a stronger and happier mother and woman.
tjsmama, fantastic resolutions! I might have to borrow part of this paragraph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Cups View Post
Today while running, I had tingling numbness in my right arm.
I experienced this a couple of runs ago. On the TM. I was purposely going at a higher intensity and was probably not well hydrated. I chalked it up to that. It was in both of my arms. I wondered for a bit if I was going to pass out. It was a short run for me, too, and the feeling came back into my arms pretty fast. Sounds like that wasn't the case for you. I'm also going to try relaxing my shoulders.

Modmom, Happy Anniversary!!! Power, Love, and Self Discipline...very nice.

BBM, yeah for the new iPod!!! I like to run to the soundtrack from Wicked. Or Rent. Otherwise, I mostly listen to music I enjoy but don't get a chance to listen to. It's not music to motivate, though. Like Jack Johnson or Five for Fighting or Bare Naked Ladies, etc. I also love to listen to podcasts. My very favorite is This American Life with Ira Glass. But I also love to listen to knitting podcasts. Anything you are interested in will have one or multiple podcasts associated with it. And they are free! Your goals for 2008 are biggies!! Woohoo!

Poppy, how fun to have someone to run with sometimes! I have found that I prefer running alone, too. But, having someone to be accountable to gets me over the dry spells. I wonder if running with a friend would be another good way to beat that 3.5 mark

RM, I've been thinking and worrying about you. I hope you are feeling better!!!

I stopped keeping track of my mileage when we moved to this new house. I had been up past 500 since June. If I guessed, I would guess that I did not hit 600 miles for the year but probably got close. I'd like to keep track again this year, but not set a goal. I hit two of three huge 2007 goals last year by April (the marathon and The Laramie Project). The third one was too complicated and in some ways, even though I gained a lot of weight back, I made the most progress with that one because my body image has changed...is changing still. But, I feel a bit gun shy about setting goals for 2008. I just want to stop feeling stressed out all the time. It's like setting goals will just add more stress or opportunities for failure. Wrong attitude. Hopefully dh and I will sit down today and go over goals together (he had more to drink than I did and consequently is still in bed...he is going to be in pain! ). I do have 3 events to put on the list. Two of them are half marathons, the second with my sister. But, the next day, I'll be doing a sprint tri with a friend. I committed last night after imbibing a bit too much. So, I'll have back to back events one weekend in July.

Last night was really fun. We had a few families and my parents over. At about 11pm we sat in a circle around the living room and answered a list of 6 questions about 2007 like favorite books, most memorable moment, etc. It was really fun. Dh set it up and I must remember to tell him today that those kinds of things are what I first fell in love with. He gets people talking, in groups, about real things. And people who normally wouldn't do such a thing end up loving it. We finished at 12:01 but pretended it wasn't midnight yet so I could open the champagne and get glasses filled. Then we toasted each other and the night and everyone stayed for more than an hour longer just laughing and talking. A beautiful night.
#24 of 1284 Old 01-01-2008, 04:51 PM

happy new year!

megs - happy birthday - what a great day to have a bday - always a party to go to!

po7, that stinks about the kids' gma - does she know how you feel about alcohol consumption in front of the kids?

the race was great! my gun time was 28:06, no chips, but it took me FOREVER to get to the start, despite starting int he 6 min/mi "section." i always forget people totally disregard the starting suggestions in ny races - the entire first half mile i was dodging walkers who started in the front. all of my mile splits after the first were under 7:00, so i would have gotten under 28:00 if i had put myself in a better position at the start.

eks - my races for the year so far are
2/5 - Lehigh Valley Road RUnners' Super Bowl Sunday 10K
4/21 - boston marathon

jo - so good to see you "back." good luck with your goals for the year!
#25 of 1284 Old 01-01-2008, 04:55 PM

Holy active thread today, Dingos! I can tell it's January 1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
I have an OT question. I looked in Questions and Suggestions but didn't see anything and am too : to ask there.

Why does hale: say "Humans" and not "Whales"? I am so literal-minded, and one of EK's favorite topics of discussion is why the whales are endangered, so I was gonna show her the smiley but then got confused.
I think it's supposed to be funny. We're trying to save the whales (or some of us are ), and the whales think they ought to try to save us? Well, they have a point, there. We do need a bit of help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet729 View Post
I'm here and preggo! 9/9/7

Don't know how much running I'll get in....
Muppet, I recognize you from the TTC in our 30s thread! Good to see you here, too. My EDD (for stalking purposes, as well) is 9/2/08, but I expect babe won't appear until mid to late September.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama View Post
Has anyone heard "shakin Dave's" show on npr monday nights 8 - 11? It's a blues show. I wish I could figure out a way to get it on tape, ipod...whatever.
BBM, like Geo, I love podcasts! I don't find running to music very diverting, but if I have an interesting podcast, I can keep going for a long time. Most of my favorites are from NPR, too, but I also like More Hip than Hippie, Pregtastic, Audio Dharma, and Mommy's Milk and More.

You might be able to find the Shakin' Dave's show on iTunes. They add more NPR podcasts all the time. Is it a national show or regional? If it's regional, maybe also on your local NPR station's website? Archives are usually downloadable.

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

#26 of 1284 Old 01-01-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
I have another, deeply personal goal for this year that I am declining to describe. I will share it when I have succeeded...this strategy worked with my massive weight loss, and I am hoping it helps with this objective for 2008. Just send me energy and trust everyone will win when I am through it. There is no bad involved, so no worries.

They are stripping our entire second floor to the studs. Then wiring, insulating, hanging drywall...and soon after that, we'll have a 4-room upstairs in addition to the living space we have occupied over the past year. It'll almost feel like moving into a bigger house by the time it's ready!
Hi 1jooj!!! I'm so curious and can't wait to hear about it when you've reached your goal! I also interested in the strategy itself because, well, it worked for you and my way of doing things often doesn't work for me. I'd like to know what has worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantimama View Post
I need to be accountable somewhere so I will say it here - I need to quilt and knit at least 75% of the stash of yarn and fabric I currently have before I can buy any more. I will allow myself to buy backing fabric, but nothing else. I need to move this stuff out of my house, and no one wants to buy fabric and yarn, they want quilts and cool stuff so I need to get making it, right? Such a simple concept, so hard for me to make it happen. Sigh
Shanti, I should make this goal, too. I keep buying yarn lately, that I can't even really afford! This coming weekend my plan was to visit big city yarn stores while Naomi is in a class in Seattle. I know that is not a great idea, but I'm so yarn store deprived! Yesterday I bought 4 skeins of yarn at our local quilting store. Her selection is not the best but these were on sale and I could see finishing something with them. But, when?!? It'll all result in two hats and a pair of socks someday.
#27 of 1284 Old 01-01-2008, 04:56 PM

eksmom, thanks for the list. i love it! i'm not on it yet, in any category, but will hopefully join the race list at some point...

re:ipod music. i like to run to anything ben folds. i haven't tried "american life" or any podcasts yet, but i'm downloaded it to my itunes just in case...

1jooj, been think about you...

anyone talk to naughty dingo?

re: cold a few days ago, my 4yo said he was getting sick b/c his throat felt "sideways" he was right b/c woke up with a fever during the night.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#28 of 1284 Old 01-01-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake View Post
Holy active thread today, Dingos! I can tell it's January 1!
No kidding! I missing posts right and left!
#29 of 1284 Old 01-01-2008, 05:03 PM

Wanted to post a snowy non-stop 4 mile run!!!
#30 of 1284 Old 01-01-2008, 05:07 PM

Yeah, this is a chatty bunch today. I better sub before I fall behind again.

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page