Am I underweight? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 01-06-2008, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, I'm getting annoyed. I am 5 feet, almost 7 inches tall. When last weighed at my dd's paediatrician's office, I was 127 pounds, with clothes; although he said some of his patients said the scale "weighs heavy" (meaning I might be a little thinner). Assuming this is my actual weight, what's the problem?

I have regular (although light) periods, rarely get sick and have lots of energy. I know I look skinny but I've seen thinner. My BMI currently stands at 20. But my husband is freaked. He says I look unhealthy. It's true, people do comment on how thin I am, but my whole family is thin! While I appreciate everyones' concern, I do sometimes feel a bit invaded by the attitude that it's okay to make unsolicited remarks about my weight, while I can't imagine telling another woman she's overweight and I was worried about HER health! It was worst when I was pregnant--I didn't show at all until around 7 months and I swear people thought I was starving the baby (who, by the way, was born at 8 pounds, 2 ounces).

So how do I know if I'm too skinny? My doctor says I'm 'borderline', but she knows I exercise and she doesn't believe I'm ill. I have muscle and almost no fat. Having said all this, I actually DO think I look a bit scrawny. I'd love to strengthen my body and look a little more robust, especially as I will be 40 this week and don't want to look like a scarecrow as I get older. Last week I had the stomach flu and you could really see the 2 or 3 pounds I lost. I have a history of eating disorders, but I'm in a good place with that and I find all this attention to being thin quite discouraging. It's so hard to see myself objectively.

One final thing--I used to be a long-distance runner and would like to start running again, but I am not sure if I should until I 'gain a few pounds.' Advice?
#2 of 23 Old 01-06-2008, 09:25 PM

This is from the weight table that they use at Weight Watchers--it looks nicer in chart form, but I don't know how to do that here! Basically, the healthy weight range for people 5'7" is from 128-153 (use the upper limit of 147 lbs if you are under age 25 and the upper limit of 160 lbs if you are over age 45). Does that make sense?

Oh--just saw you are turning 40 . . . I am turning 40 this year, too!

Anyway:

Height (feet, inches)5' 7"
Minimum for all adults (BMI=20)128 lbs
Recommended maximum for ages up to 25 years147 lbs
Recommended maximum for ages between 25 & 45 years153 lbs
Maximum for all Adults (45+) (BMI=25)160 lbs

I am somewhat thin-ish myself and do get negative comments. My DS is very thin, but in the normal range--and healthy. I have had tons of negative comments about him. My ped. tells me "that's what he supposed to look like"--basically that we as a society have gotten so pudgy that we've lost sight of what a healthy body looks like.

Feeling that that comment may earn me a few

Here's a bit of a tangent . . . I remember watching the PBS series "Frontier House" where a group of people went out and lived in the style of early pioneers. One man on there was losing lots of weight & they called in a doctor. The doctor pretty much said the same thing my ped. said--that the guy was perfectly healthy--that with the active lifestyle he was leading as part of the show--plus the non-junk diet--his body was adapting to how it *should* look.

Anyway—it is great that you feel healthy—that must be somewhat of a good sign, right? Did your doctor give you any ideas of how you could “fill out” a little? Running does seem like it would take more weight off—but maybe pair it with weight training, too?

Good luck—and happy turning 40!
#3 of 23 Old 01-07-2008, 01:46 AM

I'm thin (and I'm 5'9" so it's very obvious), too, and I totally get what you're saying about the unsolicited comments. It's just so embarassing...and rude!
Your doctor says you're healthy and you say you feel great, you just have skinny genes, it seems. The only thing that struck me was that you mentioned your husband says you look unwell. Is this something new, or have you always looked this way to him?

I have always been embarassed about my chicken arms and one thing that has really helped is push-ups. My upper arms and shoulders look so much better (not so scrawny!) since I've been doing them.

I am also a distance runner and when I first started running I gained about 5 pounds in the first 6 months or so, but over the next few months my weight settled in just about where it was before I started running. I did force myself to eat more than my hunger dictated at the beginning, though, because I was afraid of loosing weight. As long as you listen to your body's hunger cues, I don't think you need to worry about loosing weight, your appetite will increase enough to insure that doesn't happen. And an added benefit of running for me is that I no longer have chicken legs! Just be prepared for even more unsolicited comments, ie, "why are you running, you don't need to worry about your weight?" grrr...
#4 of 23 Old 01-07-2008, 01:57 AM

When I was 5'7" and 115, I was too skinny. 5'7" and 125 to 128 was just right, imo.

they're nuts, you're fine.

for intuitive readings click here :
#5 of 23 Old 01-07-2008, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. As far as my dh saying I look unwell; actually, even he admits I'm really healthy. I am rarely sick and have good energy. He just prefers me with a bit of 'meat' and I admit, I can look a bit freakish (creepy flat stomach, every rib visible). I have also been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder and I really was worried about a thyroid thing, but I've been very thoroughly investigated by a doctor who understands about subclinical stuff and all that. There doesn't seem to be any problem. The main frustration is that I'm in a better place with food, anxiety--all of it, than I've been in many, many years; but because of my history with anorexia and bulimia, I find it really hard to look at myself objectively. So when people comment, I get very confused. I guess the main issue for me right now is that I'm turning 40, and I've always commented myself that 'older women' look better with a bit of weight on them. I still think that. But I'd rather concentrate on getting stronger, maybe a little more muscle, and improve my posture--that sort of thing--than start deliberately putting on pounds. I like being thin! I like how my body feels.
Does anyone know if this whole "you'd never survive a long illness because you have no fat reserves" thing is true? Would I really starve to death if, say, I got a bad case of gastroenteritis or pneumonia or something? Is that really a good enough reason to put on 10 pounds or so?
#6 of 23 Old 01-07-2008, 03:32 PM

I think they're being silly. I was thin until my mid thirties when I started to get sick. I miss my good health and I miss my 'greyhound ribs.' From about 27 to 34, I had doctors insist there was something wrong with me when I felt great, and I truly believe it was because I was not fat in a society where so many are. Now that I'm heavier and don't feel well, it's like they think I'm normal. : To me, they should be more concerned with why so many people are heavy and feeling lousy instead of accepting it as the norm, yk?

If you feel good and you're comfortable with yourself, they should leave you alone.

#7 of 23 Old 01-09-2008, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Does anyone know if this whole "you'd never survive a long illness because you have no fat reserves" thing is true? Would I really starve to death if, say, I got a bad case of gastroenteritis or pneumonia or something? Is that really a good enough reason to put on 10 pounds or so?
I don't know about that. Several years ago I was going through a very tough time emotionally and lost 10-15 pounds (I'm 5'9" and I got down to about 117). I looked and felt awful, but I didn't die! Wasn't even close, actually.
#8 of 23 Old 01-09-2008, 02:04 AM

My BMI is 18.5 and I feel fine.

I get pissed at comments about being skinny. Ticks me off. I don't go around making negative comments about people who are not skinny.
#9 of 23 Old 01-09-2008, 04:32 AM

I think you're fine. I'm 5'7 and 135 pounds, so not that much more than you and I don't think I'm anywhere near too skinny. If anything, I wouldn't mind losing a little (well, inches, not necessarily pounds) from my hip/butt area!

I use mapmytri.com to track my workouts and according to their BMI calculator, mine is 22. I was curious one night and played around with the numbers. I think I would have to get down to 118 or so, with a BMI of 18 to be considered "underweight".

You feel fine, your doctor isn't concerned. Don't stress about it! I think you're fine to get back into running, but you may want to balance it out with strength training as well. That will help build muscle, and as you know, muscle weighs more than fat! Also, try to be conscious of the foods that you eat, making sure that you're not just putting random calories in, but meaningful calories that are nutritionally dense. My best friend was losing some weight and actually becoming underweight (as in dropped under 100 pounds). She cut back on the candy and snacks and increased her regular meals and it started getting better.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#10 of 23 Old 01-09-2008, 04:42 AM

I could have written your post....I also have a BMI of 20 (history of eating disorder, but very healthy now). I BF my DD and am 10 weeks pregnant. I eat when I'm hungry and I eat until I'm full.

I get tons of comments...."look how tiny you are!", etc....which people don't know is VERY discouraging to a person with a former ED because it "feeds the beast." AND it's ANNOYING!

Personally, I think if you want to start running again you should! Your appetite will adjust...you will probably up your calories without noticing.

Try not to let others get you down....(easier said than done) but you know you are in a good place and are healthy, so 'forget 'em!'

ETA: I was at the OB's to have a u/s and they tried to hear the baby with a doppler first....the Dr. was like, "oh my gosh! you have NO belly fat" I'm like, "uh, thanks??!" I guess I just give an awkward smile....what are you supposed to say to that??!
#11 of 23 Old 01-09-2008, 04:50 AM

You might want to talk to your doc about it, but I really wouldn't worry.

I'm 6' tall, and I weigh 118 pounds. That's technically underweight, and I get lots of comments about it (which I hate, because I don't think people make the same kind of comments to overweight people).

But I've talked to my doctor about it several times. We've done all kinds of blood tests, a thyroid test, etc. There's nothing wrong with me. I'm really healthy, just very thin. I have a very high metabolism. I eat welll and pretty healthy. I work out about 3 times a week, but it's not a heavy workout. I just try to stay in shape without trying to lose weight.

I have started drinking an Ensure after breakfast every day and drinking a protein shake before every workout. I would like to gain about 10 pounds just for looks, and also because I'm tired of hearing people talk about how thin I am!

Stacy
Wife to K, Mama to Avery and TWINS due in September!
#12 of 23 Old 01-09-2008, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyNChrist View Post
You might want to talk to your doc about it, but I really wouldn't worry.

I'm 6' tall, and I weigh 118 pounds. That's technically underweight, and I get lots of comments about it (which I hate, because I don't think people make the same kind of comments to overweight people).
They make the same comments, it's just usually behind their backs, or loudly about them, but not to them, just within earshot. :

As someone who has been on the receiving end of comments about being 'too thin' and then about 'gaining some weight?' due to thyroid problems, I can assure you it sucks whether you're thin or heavy. People really should just shut up sometimes, yk?

#13 of 23 Old 01-09-2008, 06:07 AM

That is my wieght and hieght, too. You are energetic and feel good, probably feel better than some of the naysayers if the same folks are talking to you as to me. I mean, I appreciate concern but I have no idea what to say to somebody 50+ lbs overwieght who is concerned and feels OK about commenting about ME.....

FWIW, I read an article stating that 10lbs underwieght (not that you are, because I am NOT) is healthier than 10lbs overwieght. Extra fat around organs is not good....
#14 of 23 Old 01-09-2008, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm 5'4" and 106 pounds. I only gained 5 pounds because I started running and put on some muscle mass. I have tried to gain weight because I was sick of peoples comments and then realized that I am forever going to be a twig and people just need to keep it to themselves.

If you want to run, then go run. You are probably going to gain a few pounds if you do so and your body will naturally crave more food to replace the burned calories.

coffee-drinking caffix.gifsocial worker in HIV/AIDS ribbonred.giflady-loving ribbonrainbow.gifbike-riding bikenew.gifmom of two twins.gif
#15 of 23 Old 01-10-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreemama View Post
Okay, I'm getting annoyed. I am 5 feet, almost 7 inches tall. When last weighed at my dd's paediatrician's office, I was 127 pounds, with clothes; although he said some of his patients said the scale "weighs heavy" (meaning I might be a little thinner). Assuming this is my actual weight, what's the problem?

I have regular (although light) periods, rarely get sick and have lots of energy. I know I look skinny but I've seen thinner. My BMI currently stands at 20. But my husband is freaked. He says I look unhealthy. It's true, people do comment on how thin I am, but my whole family is thin! While I appreciate everyones' concern, I do sometimes feel a bit invaded by the attitude that it's okay to make unsolicited remarks about my weight, while I can't imagine telling another woman she's overweight and I was worried about HER health! It was worst when I was pregnant--I didn't show at all until around 7 months and I swear people thought I was starving the baby (who, by the way, was born at 8 pounds, 2 ounces).

So how do I know if I'm too skinny? My doctor says I'm 'borderline', but she knows I exercise and she doesn't believe I'm ill. I have muscle and almost no fat. Having said all this, I actually DO think I look a bit scrawny. I'd love to strengthen my body and look a little more robust, especially as I will be 40 this week and don't want to look like a scarecrow as I get older. Last week I had the stomach flu and you could really see the 2 or 3 pounds I lost. I have a history of eating disorders, but I'm in a good place with that and I find all this attention to being thin quite discouraging. It's so hard to see myself objectively.

One final thing--I used to be a long-distance runner and would like to start running again, but I am not sure if I should until I 'gain a few pounds.' Advice?
Hi, maybe I need to see you in person but that weight sounds good to me. I am also 5' 7" and wish I weight that. I only weigh 110(it goes up to 112 sometimes). I had love my body after pregnancy at 120.

They do say muscle is heavier than fat though. I wouldn't bother with those people, I know how it feel I am use to all my life people telling me I need to gain weight( I really do though) but it took me awhile to accept my weight.
#16 of 23 Old 03-01-2008, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeyes View Post
When I was 5'7" and 115, I was too skinny. 5'7" and 125 to 128 was just right, imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dex_millie View Post
Hi, maybe I need to see you in person but that weight sounds good to me. I am also 5' 7" and wish I weight that. I only weigh 110(it goes up to 112 sometimes). I had love my body after pregnancy at 120.
I agree with this. I'm 5'7 and I weigh 115, sometimes a little less. I'm aiming to gain weight, 127 is pretty much my goal weight.
#17 of 23 Old 03-01-2008, 03:26 PM

I am not a "thin" mama by any stretch of the imagination but it is interesting and sad to me to see skinny mamas having the same trouble as fat mamas with body image, be it their own or someone elses. So I'm going to say the same thing to you as I would another fat mama like me. BMI is a load of arbitrary crap. If you are eating healthy, exersizing, and your health is good then to heck with what someone else is trying to tell you about yourself. No you aren't underweight, your the weight your body is supposed to be. No you shouldn't wait to gain weight before you something you want to do, any more than some one should loose weight before they live their life. People really do come in all kinds of healthy and beautiful shapes and sizes, even those mamas with "model" bodies.
#18 of 23 Old 03-01-2008, 07:56 PM

I am a thin person with a history of eating disorder.

Here is my thought: Listen to your body! You are healthy and feel energetic. You feel good about your body. You are fine. Throw out the scale

I do believe that a bit of extra weight can be healthy in the post-menopausal years, but many women naturally gain a bit after menopause.

Trust your body, and don't overthink it.
#19 of 23 Old 03-28-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe View Post
My BMI is 18.5 and I feel fine.

I get pissed at comments about being skinny. Ticks me off. I don't go around making negative comments about people who are not skinny.

ITA!!! I myself am 5'8 and always weighed around 124-128 lbs ever since being in my early 20's, that never changed even after 2 kids and I didn't do anything for it, just living & eating sensible & exercising. I feel as if that's the weight my body 'wants' me to be, kwim? Yes, I did also get down to ~ 119 lbs a few months ago.., but that was due to poor eating (I struggled with other emotional things at that time..) and I clearly didn't feel healthy/good.

Personally, I really don't care what other people say; to me, many of those comments are pure jealousy! And if not and they're happy with their higher weight, fine, but please let ME live and have my weight that I feel good & happy with!

ETA: I'm German and I have to say when I'm in Germany I hardly get any of those comments as many of the women there have the same figure. Here in the US it's a bit different, which gives one something to think about, don't you think?

~*Val*~ Vegan SAHM to DD (2/02) DS (7/05) 6x and wife to my best friend.
#20 of 23 Old 03-28-2008, 04:22 PM

I get this constantly. I am 5' 4" and currently about 105. Before my DD I was about 115-120. It jsut makes me upset that people think that since I had a baby and I weigh less, that I MUST be doing something to myself. No, jsut BF'ing a 16 month old. I eat constantly, but I have never craved junk food, so it is all healthy stuff.

I do wish i had a butt. I did have one, but I lost it. Also, due to vanity sizing in my favorite stores (Express namely) I no longer fit in their clothes. Everything is too big now. I am not a size 0 (zero!) no matter how think they think I am.

W (26) and C (27) parenting G (11/06 ) and D (2/09 ) plus a new one (3/11)
Sometimes the greener grass is actually AstroTurf, a false promise and nothing more.
#21 of 23 Old 03-28-2008, 04:41 PM

I also live in Germany and get "You're too skinny" comments all the time when I am in the US visiting my family. I am 5'8 and about 132 lbs.

Funny, up until about a few years ago I had an undiagnosed thyroid disorder and all I heard was "you're too fat". Now that the weight is gone, it's the opposite. I don't get any comments like this here in Germany, because here it is normal!
#22 of 23 Old 03-31-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdbeer View Post
I also live in Germany and get "You're too skinny" comments all the time when I am in the US visiting my family. I am 5'8 and about 132 lbs.

Funny, up until about a few years ago I had an undiagnosed thyroid disorder and all I heard was "you're too fat". Now that the weight is gone, it's the opposite. I don't get any comments like this here in Germany, because here it is normal!

Where at in Germany? -I thought you might have something to do with German going by your username!

~*Val*~ Vegan SAHM to DD (2/02) DS (7/05) 6x and wife to my best friend.
#23 of 23 Old 05-20-2008, 01:18 PM

If the OP is underweight, I am ematiated. 5'5" and 102 lbs - and that's after a recent 7lb weight gain. I get tons of negative comments from strangers and have finally had it. I have resorted to being rude. To 'you're way too thin, you look sick' or 'I would hate to be as skinny as you' I will reply 'I think you're way too fat, and look unhealthy'. Negative comments on my appearence are uncalled for, and I'll respond in kind.

I also have sizing woes - with the weight I've gained I can now fit into 00 at stores for teens, but most stores the smallest size is too big, and I can't wear children's 14s because they are too short. I've been 94-100 lbs since I was 17, and used to fit a 0 or 2 at womens stores, so sizing has definately changed a lot in the last 5 years.

Quote:
My ped. tells me "that's what he supposed to look like"--basically that we as a society have gotten so pudgy that we've lost sight of what a healthy body looks like.
ITA with this. Especially with kids people have no idea what's actually normal. Humans are supposed to be quite thin, in my opinion. I see people on tv and in pictures who are still living a natural lifestyle (hunting/gathering, nomadic herdsman, subsistance farmers) - they get plenty to eat, often have a high-fat diet, and are VERY thin. Even the pregnant moms, and the women with 15 kids.

I don't believe overeating, greed or lack of exercise is really to blame - I think it's the kinds of foods most people in western countries eat, the excess of junk carbohydrates and the insane amounts of sugar.

I have friends that are very healthy, average height and 120-130 lbs, and people still say they're 'too skinny', so I expect to be called names to the end of my days.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page