I have no will power... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-22-2008, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really want to lose some weight and I just can't seem to get myself going. I'll do well for a day or so and then it just goes bad. I love sugar and chocolate and I'll just eat if food is in front of me. I'm on the road a lot droping off and picking up kids and only have not so great snacks in the car. What snacks can I have in the car that won't go bad? The other day I had the best of intentions but 2 days later I had a banana and clementine rotting in the car. Please help me. I want to be comfortable in my skin this summer.

Kerrie Mama to DD 10 yo, DS 8 yo and DD 5  

#2 of 9 Old 01-23-2008, 12:57 PM
Banned

well, this isn't about will power, it's about what you really want, and figuring out how to do what you really want.

as for the car, i have a bag of things that i carry--fruit, veggies, nuts, bottled water--and i bring them in and out all the time. i do not leave them in the car. i also keep a bag of organic trail mix in the car at all times--it doesn't go bad.

you can do it, but you have to find your way of doing it--what works for you.
#3 of 9 Old 01-23-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrie View Post
I really want to lose some weight and I just can't seem to get myself going. I'll do well for a day or so and then it just goes bad. I love sugar and chocolate and I'll just eat if food is in front of me. I'm on the road a lot droping off and picking up kids and only have not so great snacks in the car. What snacks can I have in the car that won't go bad? The other day I had the best of intentions but 2 days later I had a banana and clementine rotting in the car. Please help me. I want to be comfortable in my skin this summer.
I know how you feel. I am totally the same way. One thing that I 'try' to do is clean my house out of sugary things (hard with kids!). That way, I'm left to only eat carrot sticks or other healthy things.
#4 of 9 Old 01-23-2008, 02:42 PM

I have no will power, either, so I just don't buy sugary snacks or other snacks with refined carbs. For car snacks we do trail mix, cereal bars or granola bars (individually packaged), cherios put in sandwhich baggies, boxes of raisins or baggies of craisins, and bottled water. I often grab string cheese going out the door to eat in the car, but that can't be left in the car, obviously.

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#5 of 9 Old 01-23-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Cups View Post
I have no will power, either, so I just don't buy sugary snacks or other snacks with refined carbs. For car snacks we do trail mix, cereal bars or granola bars (individually packaged), cherios put in sandwhich baggies, boxes of raisins or baggies of craisins, and bottled water. I often grab string cheese going out the door to eat in the car, but that can't be left in the car, obviously.
Yup. Same here. Start buying healthy stuff for you and the kids! If it's something you don't need then they don't need it either!
#6 of 9 Old 01-23-2008, 07:22 PM
Banned

since will power keeps coming up, i recommend The Yoga of Eating by Charles Eisenstien. it's not really about "yoga" in the sense that we think about it in the west (postures, etc), and it's not about traditional "yoga diets" such as vegetarianism. in fact, it's not about diets at all.

it's about how we think about ourselves, our food, willpower, etc.

very enlightening book. and charles is a great guy.
#7 of 9 Old 01-27-2008, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrie View Post
Hi, try changing focus - make commitment health and weight just sorts itself out!!!

Educate self on Raw Foods and take DHA!!!
#8 of 9 Old 01-27-2008, 11:59 AM

I'm curious as to why you feel you need to carry snacks with you in the car?
#9 of 9 Old 01-27-2008, 12:57 PM

I am a candy-a-holic.

I am NOT a fan of nuts. I really dont like them.

BUT

I kept a containder of salted almonds around for a week and every time I got a candy craving, I forced some almonds down. (they arent THAT bad! LOL)

It killed that candy craving.

But the cravings keep on coming, so you have to keep doing it. Anyways...just a little story about me.

You need to find food that you LOVE. Not healthfood that fits a certain profile. If you dont love bananas, you wont eat them.

I hate carrots. And celery. And I dont eat them.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page