Love is in the Air for Dingos! Running Mamas February Thread! - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#301 of 938 Old 02-08-2008, 11:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm down there on my mileage and training for a half as well. I'm not taking it very seriously but last time I ran it on no training I *had* been training for a marathon. I've not done anything longer than 4 in a looooong time.

Can I complain about missing the sign up for an 8K for two years in a row by waffling too long? If I say I am undecided about the big spring 8K here next year, someone kick me please and make me sign up anyway? I canNOT do it a third year without seriously ticking myself off.

I'm off to bed early. I am trying to replace chocolate with sleep. Actually, it is not going too bad except there was this waffle-making kid party today and the kids were putting sprinkles and chocolate syrup on their waffles. I felt both nauseated and tempted while watching them do it.

My mom has been smoke-free since Monday!
#302 of 938 Old 02-08-2008, 11:44 PM

GO JENLOVE
GO HBM

Good luck on your races tomorrow!!!

: I have not been a good dingo this week, in fact I haven't run at all : It was on purpose, to rest my hip, but I'm going stir crazy, so I'm going to head out tomorrow AM and see how it feels...

tjs - what a good pic!!!

B1 - Awesome job for you and your mom!!

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#303 of 938 Old 02-09-2008, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balancin1 View Post
My mom has been smoke-free since Monday!
: WTG, Balancin mom! And WTG Balancin with the chocolate!

GO JENLOVE!!!!!!!
GO HBM!!!!!!

poppy~ I sincerely hope that was +55, not -55 degrees that you're so happy about!

So my team got smacked around a little tonight :, but they at least ended up making it look respectable at the end. Hopefully they come out good and pissed for tomorrow night and kick some butt. Maybe I shouldn't watch tomorrow night, seems like every time I watch any Miami sports on tv, we suck!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#304 of 938 Old 02-09-2008, 01:14 AM

Getting back in the running mode. I did 3.2 yesterday and 3.5 today on the treadmill. Better than nothing. I can't wait for Jim to be home so I can get back outside.

I'm averaging 10-15 miles a week at this point. I'm hoping as the weather gets warmer I will get back to between 15-20.

mandy-good luck with the sale.n selling your biz. Your snowboarding sounded great.

tjsmama-great picture of you and ds.

balancin1-good luck with the challenge. You can do it. Good for your mom My aunt quit about 10 weeks ago and the other one a month ago. Now they are all going to try and stop.

poppy-good luck with the job. At least you will have options. Good job on the run.

Go Jenlove and HBM on your races.

callie-hope the hip is healed.

mamabeth-I wish you could just run on the trail without worrying. I have a trail about 1 mile from the house that I run solo on all the time. I have never thought twice about it. Guess that is a benefit of living in the country.

towsonmama-have fun on your group run tomorrow. Hope you feel better.

kerc-I am so lucky to have such great family close by to help out with the kids. I can't wait to see Jim on Sunday and get away from the cold for 2 days.

Hello to everyone else. It's nice to be back. I just need to watch that it doesn't take over my life again.

Hoping for another treadmill run tomorrow. I will bring my running stuff to Florida, but will probably have to run on my own. Jim doesn't want me dragging the BOB on the plane. We will have to run separately, but at least I'm hoping to get outside.

Patti
#305 of 938 Old 02-09-2008, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its_our_family View Post
That is good to know about C25K. I find it hard to accept that I'm in THAT bad of shape. I do 4 hours of tae kwon do a week. However, I've learned that I'm not in shape the same kind of shape you have to be for running.
Hey -- be nice to yourself. Your TKD schedule is nothing to sniff at. One of the big principles of ANY physical fitness training is the "SAID" principle, or "Specific Adaptations to Imposed Demands," which basically means that our muscles & joints adapt primarily to the exact situations we present them. Just because you are finding running to be difficult at the start does NOT mean that you are in "bad" shape. It just means you are in DIFFERENT shape. Our bodies are amazing at doing exactly what we tell them to... but not much more :-) Hence the value of cross-training (and not that kind, you naughty, naughty dingoes).

And it sounds like you have a great attitude about the slow start to the Couch to 5K program. Mamabeth already got you on this, but your body will thank you with a stronger base and less risk of injury... therefore you will be more likely to find personal satisfaction and joy out of this.

Alright, time to go to bed. I snuck out tonight (not really snuck - I was on the way home from another evening commitment) and stopped by a classmate's apartment for a get-together that involved much laughing and fun. And loud, drunk people. ahhhhhh, love it.

But first, I must say I am completely bummed about something that happened today. I had the chance to see Hillary Clinton LIVE and IN PERSON here, but forwent because I'd made a commitment to meet up with a friend. Then the friend canceled! I also missed seeing Michelle Obama speak. NYARRRRGH. I just really wanted to see Clinton to have the fleeting chance to get my own personal vibe on her. And because, as we've said, like her or not -- it's still frickin' AWESOME to have a woman come this far in the process, and maybe farther... But, I think I would have been standing outside in the cold and snow for well over an hour if I'd tried to go to either, so... oh well.

Now it's really bedtime.

Oh! And I swam for 50 minutes today. Only about 1800M, though. I really need some help on my stroke. I am SO inefficient.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#306 of 938 Old 02-09-2008, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjen View Post
bbm - man, that stinks. did you at least get some decent conversation in? Are you running 11 tomorrow as part of half training in May already?
Next week we back down to 8 or 9 and then 12 and so forth. Conversation - some, but I think by the end we were so frustrated we just stopped talking much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by towsonmama View Post
I just finished a 4 mile run and it was the toughest I've had in a loooong time. I actually had to walk twice. Could it be related to my cold? I did have a few coughing fits while I was out there and my nose ran the whole time. UGH.
Definitely, not as much oxygen...not as much energy - I second mamabeth - get thee a neti pot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by its_our_family View Post
How many miles are you ladies averaging???

Do any of you run regularly on a treadmill??

talk about not completing a thought!

How many miles a week are you averaging (individually of course!...or colletively....)
I'm averaging about 30-35 miles a week, closer to 30...that will bump to just a little over 35 once I get closer to the half.

I run sometimes on a treadmill

Despite reading...that's all I have time for, gotta get dressed and out the door for my 11. I'm a little nervous about it. Even if it is only a mile more than last week.
#307 of 938 Old 02-09-2008, 10:41 AM

Hola Dingos!

I have to make 5mi to make my weekly goal...which is 20 miles right now, and I think that I might up the ante by 5-10 when the weather is good, because right now I log ALL my miles on the tm. And I don't hate it. It's part of my precious alone time, first off, and second, I listen to my guilty pleasure, top 40 pop music on the radio, nice and loud.

Yesterday, as part of my run, I ran a sub-28min 5K, a fantastic development for me. I can do a couple 9min miles in a row now. I'd love to improve on that further before taking it outside in spring.

The weight has not budged. Not a pound of it. So I am trying to feel good about the fitness improvements. When the weather warms up, my body will feel better and so will my brain, and it will be easier to eat less, and it will go.

Poppy, we didn't get hit with anything, but an arctic blast is coming again tonight, back down way below zero. Blech. It's OK. Spring is as inevitable as winter, right?

I am consumed by thoughts on the elections and I will leave details out here because it is sooooo NRR. Some big decisions lie ahead, and I hope people consider carefully, cast egos aside, and make the right choices. (Not the voters--those running.) Hm. Running... So...maybe the elections ARE RR?
#308 of 938 Old 02-09-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post
poppy~ I sincerely hope that was +55, not -55 degrees that you're so happy about!
heavens yes! i dash a lot when i write! ha....dash-a-lot. now if that would only apply to my running skills ...

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#309 of 938 Old 02-09-2008, 10:59 AM

oops double

#310 of 938 Old 02-09-2008, 11:48 AM

quick post. I am slammmmed with kids!

anyway, 65 min. on the bike and 30 on the treadmill yesterday. I was planning to go today but ds started a fever (can I just say this has been the worst winter of illness EVER!!!!!!) so he cant go to childcare. Dh has picked up a lot of shifts, trying to make money for the move and such, but this means he has about 3 days off over 6 weeks. Its brutal. This is week two. Point being; childcare is a real issue in trying to get exercise, and when you add illness to that, ugh. Its a big bummer as I was pregnant and then sick and then postpartum, so I havent really been able to kick some ass in my workouts until this week, which feels great! and I am grateful for! (thank you universe), but makes me want more moremore

dd2 was a handful yesterday. Wouldnt go in the sling, and man, its hard to take care of three kids, and now a sick one, with one hand

oh well, I have three kids All is well

doh - screaming baby, gotta go

smooch

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#311 of 938 Old 02-09-2008, 12:32 PM

just stopping by to report a x-country ski yesterday. today is dh's b-day and we are all headed out to a "groomed" x-country ski facility. i am so excited to actually pick up some speed.

for lent, we gave up processed sugar, which we eat very very little of anyway. but still it was a challenge to make dh's cake. i read a lot of recipes and ended up coming up with my own: spelt flour that i soaked overnight in a good yogurt, sweetened with rapadura (dehydrated cane) and the usual cake ingredients topped with icing of cocoa powder, heavy cream and sweetened with maple syrup. i was pretty nervous when i put it in the oven, but i kept remembering geo's advice to just pay attention to the texture. so w/o measuring, i kept adding milk till i got it right, baked it and it came out so super spongy. i was so nervous it would be too dense. the chocolate sauce poured over top and was just right! i'm so excited. now we can all eat to our heart's content b/c it's actually all pretty good for us!

okay, gotta get the kids dressed to ski. thanks again for all your wonderful vibes.

oh and we have runners today right? HBM & JENLOVE. Whooooh-hoooo!!! YEAH!!!!! GO!!!!!

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#312 of 938 Old 02-09-2008, 12:47 PM

skied last night with dd - she's getting very speedy. overslept for the group run this am. was planning on skiing again this afternoon, but the snow forecast looks more like rain, so i'll be running long this afternoon in the rain and we'll ski tomorrow am.
#313 of 938 Old 02-09-2008, 12:52 PM

Ugh. I feel like crap. Apparently I caught whatever it is that DS has been incubating for the past couple of weeks. Woke up this morning all achey and with a nice deep cough. Called STBX to pick up DS earlier than planned, and I am going back to bed. So much for swimming today...I just hope I recover enough to get my long run in tomorrow. SO happy DS is with STBX so I can actually sleep and not have to worry about chasing a very active toddler!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#314 of 938 Old 02-09-2008, 12:54 PM

Balancin 1 is the 8K the shamrock shuffle I think you mentioned it before. DH and are signed up. Let me know if you register.

Average Weekly I am up to 14 with my longest run being a 6 mile run. I am getting out three times a week.

I am not sure if I will run outside or inside today. I have this nagging cold dragging me down. Dh thought I should stay indoors.
#315 of 938 Old 02-09-2008, 12:56 PM

we're having an at home day - so far i've mopped the kitchen and entry way floors. go me!

last night dh was out at a bike event, so i watched a movie he said he had no interest in -- Conversations with Other Women with Helena Bonham Carter and Aaron Eckhart. And oh my aching loins ! It was so good, and the way it was filmed with the split screens, and oh the actors -- the sexual tension was palpable. if you like indie style movies, highly recommended.

hoping to get some sort of exercise later today. hoping to get tickets to a red sox game later today. hoping to sell thousands of dollars in bikes during our one day sale today. hoping to get my house somewhat clean. hoping that ds behaves himself appropriately.
#316 of 938 Old 02-09-2008, 01:08 PM

I ran 6 miles with the women's group today and I have monster-size blisters from my orthotics. Egads--they're horrible!!!! How do I treat/prevent them? I've never had a blister issue before. And they're on the soles of my feet. That'll be fun the rest of the weekend.

megs~I'd be bummed about missing Hilary too. I'm thinking about going to see Obama speak on Monday but I feel like a turd because I never switched my registration from Green Party to Dem so I could vote for one of them in this primary. He's supposed to be such an awesome public speaker, I might have to go even if I can't vote for him the next day.

GO HBM AND JENLOVE!!!!!!

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#317 of 938 Old 02-09-2008, 01:26 PM

Go, go, go, go gooooooooo running mamas today! Specifically, our racers HBM and JenLove... and, of course, anyone else who needs the boot in the booty.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#318 of 938 Old 02-09-2008, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Doh!! I intended to get up and run this morning and must not have set the alarm. Instead, I slept 12 hours! 12! Woke up to my 2 youngest kids whispering very softly in the living room to not wake up mommy, which was really pretty nice. But now I have to hurry to get to Naperville. Oldest ds's performance is today and I have to play the piano for him. Will have to try to run tonight when I get home.

I'm averaging almost 20 miles a week right now, which will go up a bit as I'm on week 2 of a 14 week half marathon training program. Right now I'm running entirely on the treadmill, because I'm a huge weather wimp and I love my new treadmill.

No time for personals, but will try to check back in! Good luck racers! Can't wait to hear the race stories. Wish me luck playing the piano for ds in front of college professors with grading pens in their hands!
#319 of 938 Old 02-09-2008, 02:48 PM

patti and saskiasmom - i've been meaning to post that it is great to see you both back on the thread - you've been missed

random body pain question: i've never had any trouble with my ankles but i ran yesterday [no pain] and this morning i have been experiencing a very strange pain in my ankle. i've been working on cleaning out my sewing studio, so a lot of kneeling down and sitting on my feet while i sort. well, when i've squatted i have felt a needle/tingly feeling on my right interior ankle bone. the first few times it happened i thought something [like a sewing pin] was sticking into my ankle, which it wasn't. the weird thing is that the pain is there and then it's gone as i continue to move...past it, maybe? it does not persist. i know nothing about tendons but it's almost like something is stretching to go past my ankle bone and when it does, it hurts, then it sort of snaps past it and pain goes away?

i don't want to ignore it but it may be something not worth worrying about. just wondering if anyone [PTs?] knows what's going on? TIA

looking forward to some race reports!

#320 of 938 Old 02-09-2008, 03:17 PM

Got 4 miles in!!! It's messy and icy out there.

Have a great day Dingos
#321 of 938 Old 02-09-2008, 03:19 PM

RR: I "completed" 6 miles... although it wasn't pretty... hip pain appeared at ~2.5 but was manageable to get home with some walking and stretching

megs, tjs, anyone - I'd love to hear your unofficial thoughts (I know the disclaimer...) the pain starts up right below my hip bone, and goes down to my groin (?) and a little in that chubby part of the upper-inner thigh. pretty much along the crease between the leg and the body if that makes sense

I found a PT that does a clinic on campus that my insurance will cover, so I guess I'll make an appt... I figure if it didn't show any improvement after a week off and doing a lot of stretching I need to get help... I'm walking around right now with a bag of ice stuffed into my running tights

towsonmama - ouch on the blisters! do you have good socks? definitely go see Obama! he is a great speaker, I heard him at ASU

okay, better go, my child is being way too quiet out in the backyard...

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#322 of 938 Old 02-09-2008, 03:59 PM

Go JenLove and HBM!!!!! I know you're both probably already done but I hope you both had great runs!

CherylAnn - Good to see you here!

Megs - Bummer about missing Hill, I'd be upset too (we know how I am about cancelled playdates to start with!).

Towsonmama - get some moleskin (Dr. Scholls at your local big box pharmacy) and also new socks! Ouch though, I hope they go away fast!

I went to the acupuncturist yesterday to see if his needles could touch my back pain. So far it isn't hugely improved but it was interesting, in the past I've barely noticed the needles going in but yesterday holy moly! They really really hurt! That has to mean something right? I mentioned it to him and he assured me he wasn't angry.
I'm continuing with those awesome stretches though, they feel good in that painful way.

Moonshine - How's it going?

GMM - Good luck with all your selling! Here's some big sales

Well I didn't get out today, I took the girls out for breakfast instead and then supervised dd1's piano practice. Does anyone have any advice on how to make that less painful/aggravating? I'm not into just letting kids learn what they feel like at any given moment because given her druthers dd1 would want to learn what's happening on PBSkids and not much else. But I also hate the role of dictatorial parent. How to balance it? It went okay for a bit and then degenerated into her being totally frustrated and unwilling to continue. Anyway, I'd love to know of any tricks y'all have discovered.

Now I need to go practice my piano!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#323 of 938 Old 02-09-2008, 04:23 PM

towsonmama - maybe sports tape? You have to be careful about how its put on so it doesnt roll up.

gmm - LOVE aaron eckhart, since the julia roberts movie (im spacing the name, the one for which she won an oscar). yeah for cleaning, I got some in today too.

Crazy story: my friend called last night b/c her dd had a fever of 104+. Friends often call for medical advice (Dh is an emergency med resident). While she was on the phone with me getting Dh's contact info, her Dh was on the phone with the herbalist practically famous in this town (also a midwife..). My friend called this a.m. to report that the herbalist instructed her to put potato slices all over her dd; literally strip her and cover he in potatoes. The thermometer went down in front of her eyes. She's fine today. Had the fever for 3 days, covered herself in potato slices and got the fever sucked out of her!

Making 50 valentines today with (read: for) the kids. Cutting construction paper like a madwoman before dd2 wakes again, the tyrant

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#324 of 938 Old 02-09-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicocj View Post
the pain starts up right below my hip bone, and goes down to my groin (?) and a little in that chubby part of the upper-inner thigh. pretty much along the crease between the leg and the body if that makes sense

I had tendonitis which developed into bursitis in my hip which felt similar to what you describe. Pretty common in runners. I didn't follow through with the recommended PT and never did slow down on running but it feels much better these days.
#325 of 938 Old 02-09-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs_BK View Post
Hey -- be nice to yourself. Your TKD schedule is nothing to sniff at. One of the big principles of ANY physical fitness training is the "SAID" principle, or "Specific Adaptations to Imposed Demands," which basically means that our muscles & joints adapt primarily to the exact situations we present them. Just because you are finding running to be difficult at the start does NOT mean that you are in "bad" shape. It just means you are in DIFFERENT shape. Our bodies are amazing at doing exactly what we tell them to... but not much more :-) Hence the value of cross-training (and not that kind, you naughty, naughty dingoes).

And it sounds like you have a great attitude about the slow start to the Couch to 5K program. Mamabeth already got you on this, but your body will thank you with a stronger base and less risk of injury... therefore you will be more likely to find personal satisfaction and joy out of this.
Yeah, I'm actually impressed how running has improved my tkd. My jumping is so much better since I'm getting used to getting my ft off the ground! My jump back kick is looking 100X better now!!

Oh, nad today I'm doing C25K OUTSIDE!! It is almost 50 today

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#326 of 938 Old 02-09-2008, 05:55 PM

plady~ I'm sorry you are having struggles with your dd over piano. My oldest dd has been playing for 2 years now, and she is mostly self-motivated....praise the Lord! She has times when she struggles with a piece, but she gets over it eventually. Her piano teacher gives her stickers in her music book when she does really well on a piece....as silly as that sounds dd just relishes it when she earns a sticker. We have also found that it helps dd when we try to pick music she enjoys. She is really into blues and jazz....no slow classical stuff for her. She uses a lesson book, but we add a mix of the things she really likes to keep her motivated.

Dh is giving the family van a much over due and needed tune up today. I am so happy. : I was working in the yard with ds, and my oldest dd did a photo shoot with the baby out in the grass......check out the picts...

Reagan 1
Reagan 2
Reagan 3
Reagan 4
Reagan 5
#327 of 938 Old 02-09-2008, 07:22 PM

omg back from 14. somewhere around mile 10 i became RAVENOUS! seriously, my stomach was growling terribly and i thought i would keep over from hunger. now, dh reports that dinner will be ready in five minutes so i continue to suffer :
#328 of 938 Old 02-09-2008, 07:27 PM

po7~She's beautiful!!!!!

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#329 of 938 Old 02-09-2008, 07:47 PM

Po7 How cute!!!

DRJen I hope you enjoyed your 12 hours.
#330 of 938 Old 02-09-2008, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskiasmom View Post
potatoes. The thermometer went down in front of her eyes. She's fine today. Had the fever for 3 days, covered herself in potato slices and got the fever sucked out of her!
you are kidding! I am going to have to remember that! I have had such better results with "weird" treatments, but jeez! my dd would laugh her head off if I put potatoes on her. but hey, it's better than Motrin on the kidneys, eh?

I did some hardcore yoga today (dave farmar, anyone?) and maybe tomorrow I will check out that trail to see if it's well-traveled or not. and also ask some locals. Patti, it is WAY out in the country! so, not sure if that's good or bad or indifferent.

book recommendation: "The last Chinese chef" by the author of Lost in Translation (forgot her name!). Soooooo beautiful and interesting! and will make you want to go to China and :

take care mamas, must go sing. dh has been gone a ton and so I am happily skipping storytime...I love reading but OMG if I read Angelina ballerina one more time.....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page