Love is in the Air for Dingos! Running Mamas February Thread! - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-11-2008, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks Callie.

I got some confusing news Friday at my 30 week appt. I had another KB test which is the one that tells how much of the baby's blood is in my bloodstream. It's supposed to be 0. After almost 2.5 months with no bleeding, it is 16 - UP from 11 in December. My OB doesn't know what is going on. I have come up with my own theory related to the lifespan of fetal blood cells that is keeping me calm for now, but the other piece is that his growth seems to be slowing. My measurements over the last 10 weeks:

20 weeks - 21 cm
24 weeks - 25 cm
(insert month from he!! w/ multiple mom hospitalizations + multiple eksmom illnesses here)
28 weeks - 27 cm
30 weeks - 28 cm

So I am having another u/s (I sure hope they're right about u/s not being harmful because if they're wrong, this baby is SOL) at my 32 week appt to check my : and to check baby's growth. Meanwhile, it's back to the protein shakes for me.

I'm OK, I just had convinced myself we were done with these issues. : The scariest part is if the KB test result and the slowed growth are related, and nobody knows whether that could be true or not. At this point I'm ready just to fast forward through the next 10 or however many weeks and get this baby in my arms. And I : that when I meet him, he is healthy.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftmama View Post
re: politics i love talking politics... and after living in austin where talking politics is a sport, i find it so fun and interesting... if i have an addiction, it would be in the information-junkie area...
Me too!

fwiw - tomorrow on Fresh Air (terry gross ... npr...) they are discussing the health care plans of all the candidates

the gym sucked. at least i did something. im feeling bad about spending the very little time i see dh these days going to work out, yet its the only time i have childcare coverage. conundrum...

so, should i change my last name? we've been married 3 years, together 13, 3 kids, and i think i intended to change it a some point, but the thought of actually doing it, which i was on the verge of yesterday, makes me pause...

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
Old 02-11-2008, 05:06 PM

eks, that sucks that you have to worry about that again. sending happy growth : to the : and baby boy for sure. 30 weeks is amazing though! can't believe it.

I just got an after-lunch run in. typically not too fun, but this one wasn't too bad. some new fun gospel music on my player, so I was dancing

Oh and how funny is this.....after I typed that I was waiting for the call (which I totally did NOT expect for a while) my incompentent superior guy (as opposed to the helpful one, who is above the incompentent one) called and it was like he had a personality transplant, or like the helpful one was listening in! I was so glad I went over his head and asked for what I wanted....he was jumping all over himself with interview possibilities for me and if none of those work out, he will bump up my current call to half-time until something else comes along! soooo....mamas....the moral of the story is to ASK for what you want, go figure! oh and go over someone's head if you really need to, and I did. woo hoo!
Old 02-11-2008, 06:09 PM

mamabeth, very cool.

eksmom, i know you must be so. tired. of all the frustrations. maybe this u/s will be the last and everything will be okay and soon you will be holding baby. those are some cute soakers & bibs, btw. oh and i looked at those dingocamping pics from 06 and omg, those dingo kids are too cute. i just love the one of ek & d hugging. those curls are gone.

saskiasmom, thanks for the tip. i will download the fresh air podcast for 2morrow, 4sure. (go to the gym. keep your name.)

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
Old 02-11-2008, 06:15 PM

Eks - , so sorry about the added stress
: :
I really like that smilie combo

MB - that is awesome

Just last week I got a phone interview for the place in NC and today DH got a campus interview there... so : but to add confusion to our decision, they also just posted an ad for a faculty job in my field as well : so we are hoping that something will work out if it is meant to be for us to go there

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
Old 02-11-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeth View Post
some messages that are going to dingosmeet are showing up as "spam" so that I have to approve them one by one. no big deal, but if you're using a new email address just ask to be added again and i will be happy to!
interesting because I haven't gotten anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicocj View Post
Just last week I got a phone interview for the place in NC and today DH got a campus interview there... so : but to add confusion to our decision, they also just posted an ad for a faculty job in my field as well : so we are hoping that something will work out if it is meant to be for us to go there
rock on!

eksmom

: here. Luckily my kidlets aren't too crazy this weekend/today.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 02-11-2008, 06:50 PM

W00t! Our power is back on! I'm glad because while I am totally grateful we had a place to stay, the bed at my parents' is hard and this preggo body was feelin' it last night.

Lofty I was just looking at some of your latest pics. His curls are still there, just not as long, right? Nothing like the stick straight hair we all have here. He's still adorable - they both are.

mamabeth, yay on the job stuff!!

saskiasmom, I always looked at it like my last name was really just my dad's last name so by taking DH's name I just traded one man's last name for another. Kinda : but short of changing my name to my mom's maiden name I figured might as well go ahead for simplicity and all.

Callie, woo-hoo for interviews! I hope it all works out the way you want it to.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
saskiasmom, I always looked at it like my last name was really just my dad's last name so by taking DH's name I just traded one man's last name for another. Kinda : but short of changing my name to my mom's maiden name I figured might as well go ahead for simplicity and all.
yeah, but my dads last name makes me feel connected to his side of the family which goes through minnesota (I learned when we moved there for a few years) to Ireland. Dh's name; I love his family, and it would make me feel like our family is a unified team , but i dont feel connected, or really care to, to his ancestors, its much more about our little family, which seems more meaningful than ancestors on either side, no? On a lesser note, if my currently pregg brother doesnt have a boy this time (he has a girl) the family name will end with him and my younger brother, who is looking less and less likely to reproduce. plus, i just kinda like my name better

so for those who kept yours - why?

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
Old 02-11-2008, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskiasmom View Post
i just kinda like my name better

so for those who kept yours - why?
DH and I both hyphenated our names. It was his way of showing the world what a feminist he is, or something like that.

<-----kerc are my initials.

Our kids have first name R____ (as the middle name ) and C_____ as last name.

I hate my hyphenated mess. I wish I had chosen one or the other. In fact, I wish I had chosen C_____ because it would be less confusing for everyone. Sigh.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:56 PM

eksmom, i guess he still has some curls. it seems to depend on how it's cut. i would so much love for those 2 to see each other again.

saskiasmom, you know my response has more to do with my momentary mood, right? i do like that our whole family has the same last name, but i do miss my last name sometimes. has anybody else ever felt that way? the moms i know who kept their names did for professional reasons, mainly. but some just did. oh and one couple i know mixed their last names (nguyen & bagwell - bagwyn - or something like that.)

the snow and wind have finally slowed down, but oh, ow, is it cold. just walking out the door hurts my cheeks! :

Old 02-11-2008, 08:02 PM

Loftmama: dh wants to be away from the city and you want a semi-urban life? Come to visit me!! Seriously, we're 2.5 hours from the Twin Cities metropolitan area and less than 2 hours to some of the most pristine canoe country in the country.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:12 PM

re: names...I'm kind of embarrassed to admit how eager I was to get rid of my maiden name. So much so that I haven't even thought twice about taking it back when the divorce goes through. Besides, at least for the immediate future, I want to have the same last name as DS. My maiden name was a nightmare...my grandfather was Czech (theoretically cool, right?) but it sounds very similar to an American name, except spelled COMPLETELY differently. No, it's spelled with an F, not a PH!! My parents were nice enough to saddle me with not one, not two, but three names that all had to be spelled out for everyone (my middle name is Lynne...of course no one ever spells it with an E at the end!).

I'm finally feeling like I'm back in the land of the living, for the most part. Still pretty tired, though. DS was hacking up a lung this morning, so I decided to go ahead and take him in to the ped. Turns out he has an ear infection, which could definitely explain his crankiness over the past few days. Ugh.

eksmom~

Callie~ :

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 02-11-2008, 08:28 PM

I changed my name to DHs so that I could move up to the top of the alphabet

seriously, that did play a role in my decision making, I always hated being at the very end

I made my maiden name into my middle name (and if I had had a DS instead of a DD, it would have been his middle name too) and ditched my middle name that I hated

if I had been farther along in academic life, I would have kept my maiden name so that my publications would have been the same, but since I only had one minor pub pre-marriage, it didn't really matter

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
Old 02-11-2008, 08:34 PM

Saskia - I've been thinking about the same thing. I didn't take dh's name partly because paired with my name I'd sound like a super hero and partly because I thought his family were kind of snobby. But now that we've got the girls and we're coming up on our 10th anniversary this august I've been thinking about it again. Both girls have my name and his but not hyphenated and down here they like to put the father's name and then the mother's name so it looks like they're using my last name. Anyway, recently dd1 has been talking about why I don't have the same last two names as everyone else and has been wondering the same about dh. Long story short. I don't know what to tell you.! But last thought, isn't is weird to think that you and mil would be addressed as Mrs __________?

EKs- : and : that you have nothing to worry about. I'm glad you're back home too! That storm sounded fierce!

Callie - :!

MB - Yeah! You go with your assertive self!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 02-11-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
But last thought, isn't is weird to think that you and mil would be addressed as Mrs __________?
and my sister in law (dh has a brother). Dh's mom already addresses mail to us as "Dr. and Mrs." just for fun. Further incentive for me to get MY Phd when he's fiiiiinallllly done

dd1 has my last name as her middle name so that if she takes her Dh's name, my maiden name will live on, so there's that. And I would make my last name my middle name too, since my current last name isnt connected to anyone in the family, just one my parents liked, which is decent but Ive never cared about it one way or the other.

Are any of you Dan Zanes fans? We were just turned on to him last week when a friend called to ask if we were going to his show and I said "who?" Well we went and it was a BLAST. The reason I mention it is b/c when he introduced his band, the chick bass player was named ... SASKIA. It was cool. We all cheered.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:15 PM

just a quick post from work to say...

1. yes, more acne and bloat now than ever before (and judging by my slightly older sister, right on track for night sweats in 1.5-2yrs)

and

2. gaye, I also have a Czech last name that *used* to be spelled with an F but my great-grandfather Anglicized it.

oh, and

3. Then I kept it. Because I think of it as mine, and my name kind of works like a unit. I'm a brand. Dh's name is extremely ethnic and while I have attachments to his culture, it is not mine. And name-changing is not part of his culture at all, so between my feelings and his culture, it never really was considered.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:22 PM

My maiden name was the source of a lot of misspelling and teasing so I actually was kind of glad to get rid of it. DH's name seems easier for most people to understand/spell. I did take my maiden name for my middle name though, and my original middle name (Elizabeth) is what I miss the most. Plus I miss the fact that my middle name started w/ the last letter of my first name, and my maiden name started with the last letter of my middle name (i.e. my old initials were KEH). Come to think of it I like those initials better too.

And Callie, I moved down the alphabet. (H to S)

Old 02-11-2008, 09:29 PM

i changed my name bc my last name was a czech name that got BUTCHERED all the time. lots of us around, eh? i like the simplicity of my new name.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:56 PM

my maiden name was boring. my married name is interesting. i changed it up without a second thought.

swam 1100 meters this afternoon and it felt good, especially considering how sore my muscles were from Sunday.

off to make the dinner.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Eksmom ~eek. You didn't need more worry. I hope you can get it all figured out. FWIW, I've read a lot of the studies that scream danger wrt ultrasounds, and they are unconvincing to me.

I've been avoiding posting for several days because I'm embarrassed by my post count.

Tough couple of days here, ending in spending a few hours with the counseling service on campus figuring out how to deal with a situation. Ug. I'm close to calling a dingo on the phone to talk it through. I thought I managed to deal with this last summer, and it's ongoing, maybe getting worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicocj View Post
if I had been farther along in academic life, I would have kept my maiden name so that my publications would have been the same, but since I only had one minor pub pre-marriage, it didn't really matter
That. Plus, W. DH'sLastName is a pretty well-published person in a not-so-unrelated field. My last name is a mis-spelling of a name that's not very common. Even still, it's easy to pronounce and spell. DH's name is often mispronounced in an insulting way, or written down with one of many less common spellings of similar names. As it is, I decided when we got married that I'd be Dr. MyLastName and Mrs. HisLastName. As in, you can't insult me, except by addressing our mail to Dr. and Mrs. MyLastName.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
Saskia - I've been thinking about the same thing. I didn't take dh's name partly because paired with my name I'd sound like a super hero
But you *are* a superhero.

We're expecting a snow day tomorrow after two days of bitter cold. My university never closes, but all the schools do close, leading to the mad scramble involved with teaching and kid care.

Ug. I'm ready for secret sprinters. Off to dingosmeet?
Old 02-11-2008, 11:06 PM

GEO!! I can't believe I haven't thought of secret sprinter!!! I LOVE that and NEED that right now. THank you! Anyone up for organizing this year ((not me)?

RR: SRD for me so I did yoga and abs today. 5 planned for tomorrow.

Kids waiting for bedtime snuggles, gotta jet!
Old 02-11-2008, 11:07 PM

Geo~
Old 02-11-2008, 11:21 PM

((geo))

my paycheck is lost in the mail somewhere in the four miles between my office and my home. i am NOT happy. this adds to my disgruntlement (is that even a word? it should be if it isn't) with being a contracted employee rather than f/t. no direct desposit. and it's not the first time it's happened.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
As it is, I decided when we got married that I'd be Dr. MyLastName and Mrs. HisLastName. As in, you can't insult me, except by addressing our mail to Dr. and Mrs. MyLastName.
That's exactly me. Except, we are both the Rev., and when dh was at his last church (who, I swear, still do not believe that I was actually a Rev too, I just didn't show up for church there each Sunday ) we got a lot of mail to the Rev and Mrs. and THAT was insulting to me. but oh well....I love my last name although it is clumsy and German, and we gave both kids my name as their middle, with no other middle name. they ask dh why HE doesn't have the same name as the rest of us!

and according to the google ads, he could change his name, for only $39.95!

geo, I hope this smoothes out again for you. do what you need to do, mama.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:47 PM

mandy - my maiden name is the same as that large snowboard company our dhs used to work at and it is now my son's middle name. people thought we must have been realllly into it when we lived there in burlington. no. hardly.

i took dhs last name which actually does not sound very much different than my maiden name - just one less syllable. at times i do regret it though, since i do not feel in tune with the paternal side of his family at all. ah well - i do like having the same last name as our kids.

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

Old 02-12-2008, 12:40 AM

i love all this talk about names. how funny. i really miss my middle name (elizabeth) which i dropped when i married dh. my maiden name is now my middle name but after almost 11 years, i still don't think of it that way. my mom still calls me by both first and middle names and i still feel like that person. and when i'm homesick, i want to be called them both. i've actually thought about dropping dh's last name and adding my maiden name to the kiddos' names, but that just seems too complicated & picky. or maybe adding my middle name back, but probably doing nothing. i was looking at stationary recently and thinking about using first, middle, last when it occurred to me what i really wanted was all 4 names. is that crazy? i really, really do. i so totally miss my middle name. it was my grandmother's middle name and her mother's and her mother's and so on. ack. maybe since she passed away last year, too, and . oh yeah, she would've just had a birthday and i always feel especially close to her this time of year and miss those boxes of cookies she'd send me and maybe *that's* why i want my name back??? maybe i just want her back and all those old warm, fuzzies. ahhhh, i dont' have to officially change my name, but i *can* get stationary with it on it, right?

Old 02-12-2008, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter

Geo - ugh on the work stuff. I hope you can get it worked out.

On the names: I am legally hyphenated, but I only use my dh's last name for the most part. I was quite young when we married and not that attached to my common maiden name. My dh didn't really care ("just tell me how to introduce you") and I didn't think I cared. Shortly after the wedding when it came down to changing it, though, I didn't want to give up my name completely, so it's legally hyphenated. Then, dragging that long name around got to be too much, so I started just using dh's, and that's were I've stayed. I think my own dad was the most disappointed - he wanted me to be Dr. HisLastName, and I never was. Funny and the Dr. and Mrs. stuff - we get mail all the time addressed to Dr. and Mr.!

I ran my long run last night - a total of 7.74 with my warm up and cooldown, and the 7 miles of actual running started at 10:31 pace and ended at 10:10 pace and felt pretty good. I'm going to have to get into a different long run pattern, though, because I've still been running at 9 pm after the kids go to bed but once the distance creeps up I don't think that's going to work unless I want to go to bed really late.

Had a beautiful birth today to a nice second time mom. Mom was getting pushy, but not whole-hearted about it yet, and comfortable on her hands and knees and I was sitting near her knitting a sock. Then, she finally pushed all out with a contraction, and I heard her gasp "oooh, the burning!" I hadn't been expecting a baby soon as she pushed a long time with baby #1, so that caught me really off guard. I threw the sock, peered under her gown and sure enough half the head was out! I just got gloves on in time to keep her baby girl from bouncing off the bed. She was also shocked, since she'd pushed a long time with #1, and really just once-ish this time. This baby is also so far nursing really well. Her first was a bit early, smaller, and a very in-efficient, sleepy nurser. He lost a lot of weight, she had terribly sore, damaged nipples, had to supplement due to the major weight loss, and weaned early. She's really wanted it to work out this time, so let's hope the baby keeps up!
Old 02-12-2008, 03:20 AM

DrJen, love the birth story! Let's hope that's me next time.

Re: names. I think about this a lot. I really miss my maiden name. It's a beautiful Irish-ish name that I feel so connected to on so many levels. And I love my father so very much. I have never, ever, ever felt connected to my married name. Before we moved to Okinawa (a sort of natural transition point), I was about 30 seconds away from going to the Legal office and filing for a change back to my maiden name. It's pretty easy and cheap. But I got lazy and somewhat pressured (not by dh) to leave it all alone. Now that we have Geneva... well, I dunno. In this day & age, I know that teachers wouldn't even blink if I show up at conferences saying, "Hi, I'm Megan B____, Geneva K___'s mom."

I really wanted to change back to maiden if I'd stayed in the Air Force. I just wanted there to be a Colonel B____ out there, yk? And now, facing a doctorate in a couple of years... well, I'd like that to by MY thing, too. I think dh's family might have a tough time with it, but screw 'em... Anyway, I better choose before I graduate so that I can have my career as a PT under one name.

I wish I'd listened to my "liberated" Aunt when she tried to tell me all of this before I got married!

But oh well.

Anywhooooo... there is amazing pumpkin bread in the oven (my chef cousin's recipe) and the house smells divine. I should study some for my test tomorrow, but I am SO not motivated. And I have 2 hours in the morning before classes to study w/ friends. So... again with the not motivated.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:35 AM

geo, s, will be sending lots of good energy and strength towards a positive resolution to your ongoing issue.

RR: ran 6 yesterday while watching baby shows on TLC, ranting away inside my head at it. I think it gave me extra energy.

re married names...I'm sitting here giggling to myself because I didn't change my name for initial reasons. My name is A-B-S-, H's name is A-G-S-(the s is different) When we had kids I was willing to blend our names or change them all together, but obviously hyphenating for H and me, meant that our initials would have been A-S-S-...so we decided not to. The kids do have both names, non hyphenated, so they are like 3rd and 4th names. I figure they can use what they want when they grow up. I also couldn't give them A names for this reason. However, I really like mil's maiden name, and suggested that for a last name for all of us, but H was afraid his dad would disinherit him. sigh. I like it though that the kids have both names because it makes identification as a family unit easier to strangers. Also, my sister and I are the last in our family line with our last name with the possibility of procreating, so it is kind of nice that my girls have it, if only in part.

And on that note, Dana, I think you should totally get stationary with all 4 names! 4 is not that many! Coming of course from someone whose kids have 4 names.

Okay, things are super stressfull here. Nora has RSV, has been out of school for almost a week, she is getting better, just super slowly.

And who posted about not being able to read Angelina Ballerina one more time? : I feel like I could recite them in my sleep sometimes.

Okay, must look over lab book before lab!
Have a lovely Tuesday!
A
Old 02-12-2008, 09:41 AM

I'm that mom, the one introducing myself, and then my kids...I'm Ms. P and they're Os. I never wear my wedding ring, neither does dh, though we refer to one another as "my husband" and "my wife." And people really don't care...and if people ever ask me with the wrong tone, I admit I get snarky with them right away--mostly just because my name is my business. Rude, I know.

I am suited up, just need one more cup of mojo to make the run happen.

The crazy cold is abating, but it doesn't appear as though a real warm-up is anywhere near. Just a gradual slide up the thermometer. I'll take it. I am done with this winter. The sheep and steers are doing fine in it, but the chickens are stir-crazy and the goats and emus have total cabin fever. I am microwaving the cats' food (blech) in the morning and taking warm water to the chickens. It's time for a change.

I'd love to do SS, but we're doing a SV at work right now and I've been getting stiffed since it started last week, and I feel kind of bad about it. Ah, well. Just paying it forward.

I also seem to be past the Evil Giant Belly Day of bloat. Wish the spots went away as fast as the mittelschmerz. : Good runs, Dingos!

User Tag List