Love is in the Air for Dingos! Running Mamas February Thread! - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#421 of 938 Old 02-13-2008, 12:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Poop! DD doesn't have school thurs or Friday and I FORGOT about V-day. Guess I'm going to Walgreens at 6am.

HBM--hope your home gets healthy.

Loftmama--60 degrees sounds like paradise!

Mandy--I keep volunteering for things outside of work, it makes me crazy and keeps me sane all at the same time.

Ok ladies I'm off to bed. So I can get up and figure out the valentine's day thing in the morning. Unless I can find some construction paper? Off to hunt...
#422 of 938 Old 02-13-2008, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama View Post
I forgot to ask...Would you be worried if your child weren't speaking yet at 13 almost 14 months? I think he's saying dada and maybe up...dada probably, up maybe/maybe not...

For those who had late talkers...any thoughts/comments?

Dd spoke at 7 months and by one year had two word sentences.
DS is 20 1/2 months and probably only has 7-10 words. Well, recognizable ones anyway. He clearly communicates, just not verbally very much. He has at least 20-25 signs. He's probably saying a lot more than I'm recognizing, and he does occasionally repeat things when I say them. Our ped reassured me at our last well baby appt by pointing out that he's obviously communicating and it doesn't matter too much yet if he's not actually talking much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftmama View Post
tjsmama, what does stbx mean?
STBX=soon to be ex...Sorry, I've been hanging out too much on the single parenting forum. I forget that people don't know what that one means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy View Post
We are the freaking sickest house. : I feel like we are contaminated.

I just needed to get all of that off my chest.
That is all. Good night.
and : I feel your pain. Hope your house is healthy very, very soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
All right, I must get back to being that mom and finishing these for EK's party at school tomorrow. Last year I went with some non-licensed character store-bought cards and felt like a real when I saw the stuff EK brought home from her classmates. I do enjoy a good craft project now and then, though.
eksmom! I don't think I will ever be that mom. I just don't have it in my genes to be crafty like that!

Does anyone else find it ironic that DS gets his first ever ear infection a week and a half after he weans himself? :

Back to watching The Biggest Loser :. to you all!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#423 of 938 Old 02-13-2008, 01:49 AM

HMB, how miserable!!! Get well, all of you!!!

I ran 3.3 on the TM today. It took me 46 minutes. Yep. This was my longest run since...maybe December sometime...probably November. The Half is 8 weeks away. I feel like such an idiot. My hip hurts. I can tell it's less from use than from underuse and then shocking it. I WILL do 4 on Thursday. Then I WILL do 5 this weekend. Next week I'll do 3, 4, then 6, and so on. If I taper back one mile every three weeks I should still be able to complete the distance by April 20. Right?

Oliver has been sick with a high fever and headache (and vomiting, which I think was from pain, not from the virus itself). Today those symptoms were joined by a sore throat. Last night his fever was 103.7. Today it was 103.2 first thing this morning, but even with sketchy doses of Ibuprofen it hasn't been above 99 since then, so I'm hoping he's getting better. Luckily, dh is home this week so he's been staying with Oliver in the mornings while I work and then going in when I get home. It's gotten complicated a couple of times. Like this evening when dh had a board meeting at 5. Naomi was babysitting from 4-6. And I was supposed to be at the school at 5 working with the K teacher to do a K intro night and preschool parent meeting. There was no one available to be home with Oliver. So, I hurried to the school at 4:30 with Sophia in tow so she could help babysit the preschoolers, cleaned tables and made copies, cooked pizza's, and then traded cars with Fletcher when he arrived at 5 with Oliver. Luckily my mom, who also teaches at the school, was able to fill in for me to help the K teacher. I hate missing this stuff. I feel like I'm failing everyone when this stuff happens.
#424 of 938 Old 02-13-2008, 03:57 AM

CherylAnn, my hope/prayer is for you to be gentle with yourself. What would you tell any of the rest of us in your tough position? Tell that to yourself, eh?

OK, off to bed. Tomorrow is running day w/ classmates and I stayed up too late watching Frontline, so I better get my Zs in while I can.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#425 of 938 Old 02-13-2008, 10:03 AM

we have a snow day. wahoo - unfortunately, after the ice stops in an hour or so, it's supposed to rein all day - so no skiing.
#426 of 938 Old 02-13-2008, 10:07 AM

The laundry is done and I need to get ready to go on a field trip with dd's class. I'm going to try to squeeze in 20 min on the treadmill in just a minute.

I need to start subbing at the school for awhile. Still trying to sell that other house and feeling like the pocket book is getting majorly squeezed.

Dh has a business trip to Vegas in March. His business partners wife is dying to go so now they all want me to go. I truly feel guilty because dh wants me to go too and I have very little interest in going there. I sure love dh though! He's my favorite person! (feeling guilty for not wanting to go!) Also we are going to Charleston in May for our anniversary. It seems like a lot of going. Also...I don't like flying without kids. FREAKS me OUT!

HBM...I'm so sorry you have a sick house! It really does suck! I hope you all get well soon!

I had fun at IKEA yesterday! Stocked up on some candles. I love candles and light them almost every day!

Ok..gotta go squeez in a real quick run!
#427 of 938 Old 02-13-2008, 10:20 AM

Real quick here as walking out the door. I've noticed huge improvements on illness here when taking Immunokids. DH has been sick at least 6 times (he won't take it) and I start taking it when he gets it and I don't. Now that I say that...let's hope it holds. HBM!
#428 of 938 Old 02-13-2008, 11:06 AM

we have a "snow" day here too - incredible. there's no snow. so actually it is an "inclement weather" day due to slick spots on the roads or something.

dh and i went to see SPAMALOT! at the performing arts center last night [it was my xmas present to dh] and oh. my. killer. rabbits. i laughed my way through the entire thing. it was good to laugh like that for 2 hours straight.

hope everyone stays warm today :

i need to dive back into the thread and read over stuff i missed...back later

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#429 of 938 Old 02-13-2008, 11:45 AM

Hi everyone! I sure need to catch up on the thread. I have had way too much drama in my life since Sunday. It's stupid, but it has kept me awake half the night for the last several nights. I had a good run yesterday, and I finally slept good last night....thank goodness.

Oh well....I got to get something done around here.
#430 of 938 Old 02-13-2008, 12:11 PM

hey y'all....I had a failed run attempt this morning. dh said, "Oh it's not too cold outside!" so we get all ready to go for a run, drive to the trail, get out, start, and ds starts freaking out because he was cold. And I have to say, the wind got blowing and it was really really frigid. WAY more so than I thought. so we packed it in...I don't even think it was half a mile. So i'm hoping for a nap today so I can get on the mill.

BBM--I talked to my cousin who is a speech path. when ds was 15 months and only saying "Cow." She said, "oh, he has a recognizable word at 15 months? He's FINE." and now he does. not. shut. up. complete sentences and all, from about 20 months on. my dd was quite an early talker too so I was worried, but all is certainly well in the verbal department here.

hope everyone can warm up soon. rm, I am going to google immunokids. whatever it takes....get well soon, house of HBM!
#431 of 938 Old 02-13-2008, 01:55 PM

Yikes HBM! That sounds nasty! I hope you are all on the far side of it now! and :

CherylAnn - What Megs said! You know you'd cut any one of us more slack. You do what you can (and often a bit more too) it's okay to fumble the details now and then.

BBM? MB? Who was the one putting essential oils in the neti pot? What is the ratio of water/oil/salt? I want to try that. Yesterday dd saw me using it and she gave me a big dramatic "eeeeewwwwwwwwwww!"

Balancin Could you have some inner ear thing upsetting your balance or something? Or is it just the Attack of the BooBoo Gnomes? Thank you form mentioning v- day For some reason it didn't spark my attention in the other posts about cute crafts but when I read yours it finally occurred to me to see if dd was supposed to bring anything in. Yup. Plates for 20 today and valentines for tomorrow. At least we have this afternoon to make them.

tjsmama - I'm glad I'm not the only one watching The Biggest Loser. It feels like such a guilty pleasure but I just feel inspired by all these huge out of shape people putting it all out there to make themselves healthier.

I did lower body weights today. I feel like I'm seriously plateauing and it's bumming me out so I really pushed myself today. After doing some static lunges my entire body was shaking. I hope that revs up my metabolism a bit more. I've been doing well on no sugar but I haven't cut out all carbs so I'm not seeing any progress. :

Ali G is being super cute, she loves my dingo shirt and she's been sitting here fixated on the little mamas. I tried to a vid but thee camera distracted her.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#432 of 938 Old 02-13-2008, 02:16 PM

I watched Biggest Loser too as often as I could for the last "season." I intended to watch this one too but the one episode I watched, some of the couples/pairs were getting on my nerves. I didn't start watching last time until towards the end, so maybe any annoying ones were weeded out? I don't enjoy the "here's the jerky people that we're supposed to dislike and hope they get voted off" aspect of reality TV which is why I don't watch much of it. BUT. All that said I think it is a totally inspiring show and I would let EK watch it with me sometimes. She calls it "that exercise program."

I learned a new mantra at my last prenatal yoga class that I wanted to share with y'all because it was so meaningful to me. On the inhalation it was "I erase the effects of constant doing." On the exhalation it was "I experience and enjoy simply being."

CherylAnn, I agree w/ the others, be easy on yourself.

Po7, hope the drama subsides soon.

Gaye, I bet you could be crafty like that. It was seriously pretty easy to do, easily available supplies, etc. I couldn't make them stand up the way they appeared to be doing in the picture, but that's OK.

DD is spending the night w/ my parents tonight so we have a date night planned. It's sort of a combo of early V-day plus rewarding ourselves for keeping our New Year's resolution all the way through January. I am looking forward to some adult-only downtime because it's felt sort of like a zoo at my house lately.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#433 of 938 Old 02-13-2008, 02:25 PM

double post, sorry

#434 of 938 Old 02-13-2008, 02:36 PM

:

I'm massively behind, as always, but I've been spending more time on Ravelry and not enough on MDC lately.

I got clearance from ortho yesterday to basically do anything that doesn't hurt! I've gradually been more and more active this past month - started with regular pool running, and worked up to 30 minutes on the elliptical. Yesterday, I thought I was ready to try a little running, I didn't realize how low impact the elliptical is. I ran 2 30 sec intervals yesterday while walking on the treadmill. It hurt, but at least it's a start. It's going to be a slow winter, but I think if start moving from the elliptical to walking, maybe I can start running in a month. Whoohoo!

I've also been ice skating twice (carefully) and cross-country skiing once. The skiing really aggravated my groin muscles,tho'.

s to all the sick mama dingos and kids.

Last year we did homemade valentines. I'm caving this year, but found non-commercial animal ones for ds and Hello Kitty (which to me, is the least offensive girly character) for dd. I'm in the middle of birthday party planning for ds, so I'm giving myself a break for V-day. I liked that link, Eksmom, and may use it for next year.
#435 of 938 Old 02-13-2008, 03:06 PM

we don't celebrate valentine's day in our family. it's been the rule since dh and I started dating. i don't even want to have ds give out cards to his preschool class - mainly because i can't figure out what the point would be he certainly couldn't care less.

today's exercise will be afternoon snowboarding. it's dumping snow, though we didn't get as much as they promised. but should be good enough to enjoy freshies in the trees. dh is off today, so we'll get some more alone time. How nice!

oh, and i did some ab work this morning but was feeling pretty rough and having a hard time with coughing - so it wasn't a great workout.
#436 of 938 Old 02-13-2008, 03:15 PM

the biggest point of cards to me is the fun in making them. Dd has so much fun with glue, glitter, colorful paper, etc. Our valentines is very low key. Dh will get dd some flowers (he did it the first year and I told him he had to keep doing it I thought it was so special...I can just see her at 16 getting flowers from her dad and it just seems SOOOO special to me...maybe b/c I never had anything like that), and he might get me flowers...but I don't really care. As long as he takes care of dd. I will make him a card and I made chocolate shaped brownies (he LOVES chocolate), some are for dd too...I made her a card too.

I ran 3 this morning...ds's nap...sigh. He didn't even sleep the whole time. I ran the first ~10:15, the second ~9:30, and the third about 8:18...it was my goal to do negative splits and do the last mile at around 8:30. Ds was in the crib with snacks and toys for the last (he actually sleeps in our room for naps and all, and the TM is in his room where the crib is - that he never uses , but it worked).
#437 of 938 Old 02-13-2008, 03:16 PM

Oh...essential oils. I put them in the salt...~20-30 drops for the whole container of lavendar and tto. If you were putting it right into the water I would REALLY dilute. You only want a smidge. I imagine too much would really burn.
#438 of 938 Old 02-13-2008, 03:26 PM

Okay, ultrasound showed cyst on the ovary and polyp (most likely) on the uterus. I guess now I have to decide on surgery and whether or not to do some thing that decreases menstrual flow or stops it. Am I done having kids though?? I mean we decided we're happy and totally fulfilled, but dh had the "V" so that I didn't have to feel that "end". Doing this would be "the end" of that possibility.

I love Valentine's Day, I love "love" and expressing it.

Lisa

Off to do yoga and abs........
#439 of 938 Old 02-13-2008, 03:37 PM

Back from track, showered, and waiting for the ILs to arrive :...

Track workout kicked my butt. I know I'm still sick but holy cow. We did a couple of warm-up laps, some stretches, and one lap of strong straightaways/jog the curves. Then the workout started. 1600 strong, 400 jog, 800 strong, 400 jog, 1600 strong. Finished up with some more stretches and some strengthening. Either I was counting wrong on my laps, some of the ladies didn't do the entire workout, or I was really really slow. Or maybe a combination of the three! I was a good lap behind everyone else. I'm pretty sure not all of them did the whole thing though, since there was a group that was done when I still had 3 laps to go and I know I wasn't THAT far behind! I thought I was going to die by the time I finished. I spent half an hour to 45 minutes after attempting to cough up a lung . Overall, it was good. Hopefully it will be even better when I'm back to full strength!

BTW, I my new babysitter! She's great!

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#440 of 938 Old 02-13-2008, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama View Post
Dh will get dd some flowers (he did it the first year and I told him he had to keep doing it I thought it was so special...I can just see her at 16 getting flowers from her dad and it just seems SOOOO special to me...maybe b/c I never had anything like that
That's so sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnmtnmama View Post
we don't celebrate valentine's day in our family. it's been the rule since dh and I started dating. i don't even want to have ds give out cards to his preschool class - mainly because i can't figure out what the point would be he certainly couldn't care less.
Just wait until it's required.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post
Okay, ultrasound showed cyst on the ovary and polyp (most likely) on the uterus. I guess now I have to decide on surgery and whether or not to do some thing that decreases menstrual flow or stops it. Am I done having kids though?? I mean we decided we're happy and totally fulfilled, but dh had the "V" so that I didn't have to feel that "end". Doing this would be "the end" of that possibility.
Wow, Lisa, that's really tough. Good luck finding your path through this. Could this relate to all the other issues you've had?
#441 of 938 Old 02-13-2008, 04:28 PM

Plady-I always eyeball my water/salt/eo ratio-however when I do use eo-I only put 1-2 drops into the pot. That is plenty-I would start with 1 drop and see how you feel. I add my eo fresh each time-because I typically only use the salt-I only add the eo (lav or TTO or both) when I am sick.

K and I got flowers for VDay today-we are going to be gone all day tomorrow with dh- from dh-she was SOOO excited. He has sent her some every year since she was born-but this was the first year (3 yo) that she was visibly excited by them

I got flowers from my dad on my 16th bd and that was just super special to me. My brother was graduating high school the next day and my bd was pretty much overshadowed by that event-so the flowers were all the more special
#442 of 938 Old 02-13-2008, 05:24 PM

homemade valentine cards here. We only have 10 in E's class. I bought blank white cards at Michael's, found some paper we could recycle, cut out some hearts and let erin go to town. Some are very plain, some are fancy. All of them say "to ____ from Erin." I made a list of the kids names for her to cross them off one at a time.

I saw those ones EKS and Geofizz families made. I like a nice paper craft now and again, but I know I don't have patience to do that with my kids.

The girls and I made almond biscotti dipped in chocolate (and almonds and sprinkles) with our next door neighbor, Martha (4.5 yrs). Mmmm. Then we secretly packaged them up for gifting to dad and to Martha's family. Quite fun. Not to mention they got tired of it and I got to consume the "extra" chocolate. mmmm.

Geofizz: I see a looooong faculty meeting ahead with you ranting about the spam guard. Perhaps ask your students to write an email of complaint.

Lisa:

Mamabeth, I wimped out too (of skiing, it is cold out there). I'm considering joining the YMCA so I can go swim and feel warm.

tjsmama: so glad you like your babysitter. I need one

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#443 of 938 Old 02-13-2008, 06:29 PM

Thanks for the nice words you guys. Y'all really made me take stock and remember, it's not all about me. It's narcissism or something. It went perfectly well without me and no one felt frustrated or resentful because I wasn't pulling my weight. In fact, they were happy to help considering Oliver was sick.

Eks, have fun tonight!!!

RM, I didn't realize you were having that trouble. Did they tell you what kind of cyst? One of my closest IRL friends just had to have major surgery to have a cyst removed from her ovary in January. It went really well, but it was a big deal. Keep us posted!!!

Do any of you know what it means when a kid consistently has a temperature in the low 97's? It's been about 97.3 or so for the last 24 hours. Except for last night when it went up to 99. He's obviously still sick, but getting better.

I completely forgot to plan for V-day. We have a tradition of giving the kids each a pair of socks. It was really fun when they were little, but now it's hard to find fun socks that are still sophisticated enough to not get snubbed. And finding them in this town will be impossible. So, I have to break tradition and come up with something else, stat!

Oliver and I are about to start on our valentines. The kids can choose to make them for just their class or for the whole school. The whole school, including teachers, would be just over 50. That's what I'll be doing. Oliver will probably choose just to do his class. That will be 11. It's going to be fun!
#444 of 938 Old 02-13-2008, 06:52 PM

cherylann, glad you feel better about everything! about the temp, my kids and I both have low bbt's (I am in the 96's in the morning) and we are normally around 97. something. so....maybe it's just a normal thing? were you taking it in the a.m.? it can be lower then.

yay BBM! I also did a naptime run. My ds would have liked watching the TM as I ran too. don't think, just run, right? except when it's completely :

I went about 3 miles...I swear my speed thingie is messed up. It felt like I was running 10 min miles in the middle and didn't have it up more than 11.5ish? but whatever, I got a run in and it doesn't matter that much, I guess.

rm, that is a hard decision. sorry you are having to deal with those problems and now this. I KWYM about having the options cut off....we are still sort of hemming and hawing about the V despite being pretty sure we're done birthing kids.

take care mamas, eat something warm and tasty. vegan chili and cornbread here! :
#445 of 938 Old 02-13-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
I saw those ones EKS and Geofizz families made. I like a nice paper craft now and again, but I know I don't have patience to do that with my kids.
I should say that I basically made them by myself. That's why I feel guilty about being "that mom." DH joined us and helped EK do a modified version of the same craft that she could actually participate in. Those valentines she's giving to my parents.

We don't make a huge deal out of V-day here, but EK really loves holidays. She is all excited about waking up at my parents' house on V-day (something I hadn't even thought of). I think they are taking her to breakfast at IHOP so she will be in 7th heaven.

And, I bet she will go through a stage of really caring about it. Case in point: the other day as she was getting dressed for preschool she apparently said to DH, "I wonder if G_____ (boy in her class) will like this outfit." Where on earth does she get this stuff? :

Lisa, what a tough thing to have to face. I know you will make the right decision.

#446 of 938 Old 02-13-2008, 07:24 PM

RM~ I don't have any words of advice, just sending you lots of positive thoughts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
tjsmama: so glad you like your babysitter. I need one
I'd loan her to you, but you might be a bit far. I found her through sittercity.com . I used another sitter from there and she was ok, and the other girl I interviewed for this job was decent, but I : this girl. She's excellent! She fed DS breakfast, got him dressed, and took him to the park this morning while I was gone. I was only gone about 2 hours...there are many days it takes me that long just to get breakfast done! Plus, she's totally willing to try to switch her work schedule around (she hostesses at a restaurant) to accommodate me! And the dog even likes her (he's a total chicken dog who's scared of everything and everybody)!

#447 of 938 Old 02-13-2008, 08:40 PM

gaye, that's awesome!

rm, boy you have had a tough time. I'm so sorry, mama!

no run to report: major snow all night all day and still snowing. it's creeping toward the rooflines in some places and was up to just below our porch rail this morning. plus i'm still sore from yesterday's yoga. hoping to get in some yoga tomorrow.

no v-day school stuff to report. hope you all have a wonderful valentine's day tomorrow.

oh and saskiasmom, my family loves the soaked (dried, not soggy ) nuts, too. do you use the nourishing traditions cookbook?

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#448 of 938 Old 02-13-2008, 11:16 PM

oh, Gaye -- if your neurotic dog likes the sitter, then she is DEFINITELY a keeper. My parents had a dog that HATED my ex-boyfriend and immediately loved my husband. Go figure!

I ran today -- about 25 minutes. It was tough goin'. I was tired and hungry and it just went slowwwww.

OK, "Ramen Radiator" ala Alton Brown just came out of the oven. Time to dig in!

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#449 of 938 Old 02-13-2008, 11:53 PM

De-lurking here to ask some dingo mama advice.

I started running in the fall, it's going pretty well, and I want to do a 5K in the spring. I had such a good run today that I thought, yeah, I can *totally* do this without embarassing myself. (I'm running about 2-2.5 miles at a go, but pretty well, and as the weather warms up I'm hoping to get longer runs in.)

But I'm confused about how to choose a race. I know I could theoretically just pick one that's close on a good weekend and go run, but I'm not sure what to expect and I don't know how to tell a good one from one that might be too big or too small or whatever. I'd like something kind of casual, since I'm going to want to feel like I can walk a bit if I need to, but the websites for each race aren't super-detailed.

I know I'm overthinking! But, help!

I'm in the Chicago area, if anybody has specific suggestions.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#450 of 938 Old 02-14-2008, 12:04 AM

Welcome Penelope... hmm how to make good choices... I think for a first one I would look for something fun. It's up to you on what you want. If you want a large race go for something better known...smaller....eh you get the picture there. I will say this, just don't run a race that this is its' first year. I did that once and they ran out of water at the water stop and didn't have any left at the end (and this was in August). I would go to a running store and ask for a good first race. Others may have good suggestions for your specific locale.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page